• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tiops

Ugh, those level 54 crafting Leves are terrible. Started the Goldsmith ones, need to create rings that uses strength Dissolvents, each using a crapload of deepeye tears and other monster drops that sells for 1k+ on the MB :(

Way too many materials for everything. When I finally get rid of stuff requiring Dravanian Mistletoes, now I need stuff crafted and gathered from every class. The end game must be fun.

dramatis

Ugh, those level 54 crafting Leves are terrible. Started the Goldsmith ones, need to create rings that uses strength Dissolvents, each using a crapload of deepeye tears and other monster drops that sells for 1k+ on the MB :(

Way too many materials for everything. When I finally get rid of stuff requiring Dravanian Mistletoes, now I need stuff crafted and gathered from every class. The end game must be fun.
I looked ahead and plotted out exactly which leves I was going to spam constantly at each tier. That way while I was working through levels 54-56, I already had my retainer out gathering items needed for level 56 leve. A lot of the time I would also skip a leve level if the mats at that level were hard to obtain (fish) or just too much for the extra bit of exp per level (20k+, which isn't a lot considering that the difference between leves would be 180k and 200k; not such a huge thing).

It's slow and methodical, but my expenses were low and ultimately I enjoyed the plotting of it all.

My answer was that hq was annoying, so I nq-ed everything and handed it in anyway. It's less time consuming and you worry less about needing hq materials. At the appropriate level get the next set of crafting gear. I made it to 60 on every crafting class without needing any new tools lol (still using lvl 50).

iammeiam

You thought yeaterday's Roulette info was funny? They found another bug preventing them from hotfixing the first big, so to fix queue times they're now requesting people queue in full groups or solo, no partial groups this weekend:

During yesterday's investigation, we were able to determine that there are cases in which the matching queue for the Duty Roulette halts under specific conditions. We were able to address the cause of the issue, and after a large-scale inspection, verified that the system is working properly.

However, during the pattern verification that continued afterwards, we also confirmed that another issue (with a different cause) is occurring even after the fix, wherein, under certain conditions, match times become increasingly slower over time for solo players queued in the Duty Finder.

We are continuing to investigate, address, and verify the issue is fixed, but in order to make certain that the issue is thoroughly addressed, we may require until the beginning of next week.

We will post further details on the forums at a later time.

Since this issue affecting Duty Roulettes in the current open Worlds occurs when a pre-formed party queues for the Duty Roulette, we ask that you please queue in as a solo player or in a 4-player (8-player) party during this weekend, especially at peak times. This will keep the Duty Finder Roulette running smoothly, without congestion.

This will totally work.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
DRG/NIN/MCH is so hilarious it's borderline broken.

You can get back to the main story now and just do Lancer bit by bit as you level/get bored. You can get away without Blood for Blood (the level 34 skill) for a while, but Invigorate you'll appreciate having sooner rather than later. Both are mandatory for endgame stuff, but you can progress through the story fine without them.

One thing is if you find yourself waiting in a long dungeon queue it's not a bad time to switch over and level another class while waiting for the dungeon to pop.

Thanks. I've started to do that. I'll queue the roulette to get my daily bonus as a archer. Then switch over to Pugalist to get another daily bonus. :)

BadRNG

Man I'm glad we're in the catch up part of patch cycle, no reason to do DF and deal with the wonderful improvements they have made with the system.

Tiops

I looked ahead and plotted out exactly which leves I was going to spam constantly at each tier. That way while I was working through levels 54-56, I already had my retainer out gathering items needed for level 56 leve. A lot of the time I would also skip a leve level if the mats at that level were hard to obtain (fish) or just too much for the extra bit of exp per level (20k+, which isn't a lot considering that the difference between leves would be 180k and 200k; not such a huge thing).

It's slow and methodical, but my expenses were low and ultimately I enjoyed the plotting of it all.

My answer was that hq was annoying, so I nq-ed everything and handed it in anyway. It's less time consuming and you worry less about needing hq materials. At the appropriate level get the next set of crafting gear. I made it to 60 on every crafting class without needing any new tools lol (still using lvl 50).

That sounds like a really intelligent plan that I would give up after 2 levels. I'm more impatient and not disciplined enough, but maybe I can at least plan all the material I'll need.

Ken

Watch them find out that the second bug with DF is related to Mudra fix and they have to undo the latter to get it all working.

Loona

The official Twitter mentioned something about earrings from a special event - any reason to get any other than the Cactuar ones? They seem like the only ones with actual useful stats on them...

Ken

The official Twitter mentioned something about earrings from a special event - any reason to get any other than the Cactuar ones? They seem like the only ones with actual useful stats on them...

There's several event earrings that servers "won" from video game events and such like TGS. You wouldn't actually wear any of them though for anything but vanity.

The special vendor moogle that sells them gets taken out of the game and gets put back up occasionally. You can just pick up one of each and store them in your armoire since they all cost 1 gil and are just vanity items.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/93088eef74b43c659125d3b3558fda15b15ca651

edgefusion

Does anyone have any experience with the launcher claiming "Invalid password"? I've been using the same password for the last 2 years so I'm preeeetty sure it's the right one. Game just locked me out for using the 'wrong' one too many times in a row. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do when it's suddenly rejecting my correct password.

Ken

Does anyone have any experience with the launcher claiming "Invalid password"? I've been using the same password for the last 2 years so I'm preeeetty sure it's the right one. Game just locked me out for using the 'wrong' one too many times in a row. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do when it's suddenly rejecting my correct password.

Did you get hacked maybe? Or maybe caps lock shenanigans?

edgefusion

Did you get hacked maybe? Or maybe caps lock shenanigans?

Hopefully not! I use a one-time password so that'd be pretty difficult, no? Caps-lock is off. The lock out lasts for 30 minutes so there's naff all I can do in the meantime.

Ken

Hopefully not! I use a one-time password so that'd be pretty difficult, no? Caps-lock is off. The lock out lasts for 30 minutes so there's naff all I can do in the meantime.

One-time password probably rules out a hack or dynamic IP. Input error or input device shenanigans?

Do you use OTP on a phone? Only other thing I could think of is your OTP device went out of sync, but I think it usually tells you if your password or OTP are wrong.

Jayhawk

Handing in NQ for a leve is 1/3rd of the exp for a HQ. If you're fine with wasting leve allowances and more materials to get to the same amount of exp, the gimp approach to crafting is fine. I never needed HQ mats to HQ leve crafts. Trying to HQ things also makes you work and improve on your rotations. If you want to be a casual crafter who can only hit the "Quick Synthesis" button or the "Careful Synthesis II" buttons a few times, go ahead. If you actually want to be a legitimate crafter, don't be a Dramatis still using level 50 gear.

Squishy3

Those PSN avatars are confirmed for NA and EU.
Yay.

One-time password probably rules out a hack or dynamic IP. Input error or input device shenanigans?

Do you use OTP on a phone? Only other thing I could think of is your OTP device went out of sync, but I think it usually tells you if your password or OTP are wrong.
It doesn't tell you specifically if the OTP is wrong.

Ken

Yay.

It doesn't tell you specifically if the OTP is wrong.

Maybe that then!

12309512_10153049325806841_2965494080556315191_o.jpg

Sad times that Sanuwa mount can't cast tornado.

iammeiam

Heads up: There is now an OF Thread for reporting latency issues with the NA Datacenter due to the recent problems. They're encouraging people to contact ISPs and get a ticket to reference so SE can reference the ticket when contacting ISPs.

Given that the issue appears to be routing over Level3 incurring severe packet loss, this is probably the smartest way they can handle it--the problem isn't SE's servers or Comcast's internet, it's that Comcast is directing traffic through Level 3's hub to get to SE's servers, and Level3's hub appears to be contesting and dropping packets, so either ISPs need to reroute their crap or Level 3 needs to fix their shit. SE can't unilaterally do much.

So if you're experiencing issues, there's your formal method for venting.

dramatis

Handing in NQ for a leve is 1/3rd of the exp for a HQ. If you're fine with wasting leve allowances and more materials to get to the same amount of exp, the gimp approach to crafting is fine. I never needed HQ mats to HQ leve crafts. Trying to HQ things also makes you work and improve on your rotations. If you want to be a casual crafter who can only hit the "Quick Synthesis" button or the "Careful Synthesis II" buttons a few times, go ahead. If you actually want to be a legitimate crafter, don't be a Dramatis still using level 50 gear.
Sure. Except it's 1/2 the exp, not only 1/3rd. You also didn't have the reading comprehension to note that I was offering an easygoing, non-intensive, inexpensive method of leveling, and I acknowledged its shortcomings. If you feel the need to trample on that to promote your self-worthiness, go ahead.

I had fun, while everyone else was moaning about how the game was dead and they had nothing to do. Come back when you can put that valuation in numbers, and then we'll talk, hm?

Sure. Except it's 1/2 the exp, not only 1/3rd. You also didn't have the reading comprehension to note that I was offering an easygoing, non-intensive, inexpensive method of leveling, and I acknowledged its shortcomings. If you feel the need to trample on that to promote your self-worthiness, go ahead.

I had fun, while everyone else was moaning about how the game was dead and they had nothing to do. Come back when you can put that valuation in numbers, and then we'll talk, hm?

jayhawk got fuckin rekt

Tabris

So I've been playing this game a bit late at night before going to bed to finally try to get DRK to 60, and man the server is absolutely dead after midnight PST. Coerthas Highlands had like 3 people.

They really need to merge servers ASAP. I understand they most likely keep them separate for patch & expansion launches, but after 1-2 weeks from those times, they die so quickly.

Sorian

Banned
So I've been playing this game a bit late at night before going to bed to finally try to get DRK to 60, and man the server is absolutely dead after midnight PST. Coerthas Highlands had like 3 people.

They really need to merge servers ASAP. I understand they most likely keep them separate for patch & expansion launches, but after 1-2 weeks from those times, they die so quickly.

Ultros is a, primarily, east coast server isn't it? Of course it would be pretty dead on a weekday after 3 in the morning.

Jayhawk

You mentioned it being cheaper when it isn't if you still use NQ mats to produce HQ products and only have to pump out half the number of items for the same amount of exp. You want to bring fun into this? I had fun being one of the first people who can actually craft things when the expansion launched. People, including you, kept spamming my mailbox with crafting requests and asking for different rotations for collectables.

If somebody wants to consider themselves a crafter and not actually be able to craft the harder HQ items, then go ahead. I don't consider that type of player a crafter, it's similar to considering me somebody who is a Scholar just because I have it at level 60. I sure as hell wouldn't want to see me post recommendations on what to do as a Scholar. I'd rather promote the idea of actually trying to HQ crafts and be self-sufficient than having another person have crafts at 60 just to repair their own gear.

EDIT: I also don't equate your slow and methodical approach as easygoing and non-intensive. I do agree with the idea of plotting out leve usage. I still have my spreadsheets comparing costs of crafts versus exp reward. I had more fun plotting out leves because little information was out there for the leve selection, the materials required, and discovering how to get those materials. I don't agree with doubling the amount of leves you use and not trying to become a better crafter.

jayhawk got fuckin rekt

You were watching an Overwatch stream?

Jayhawk

I just remembered the crafting class quests also give you new tools to work with, that you can then convert into materia or blow up via desynthesis when you're done. So that's another tip for leveling up.

Reminder that I'm still accepting entries for the "bad glamour contest" holiday giveaway via this game's cash shop for a prize of your choice. You can choose a Sleipnir mount, a white magitek mount, a red magitek mount, or a Minfilia glamour outfit. Just PM me a picture of your character in a bad glamour set.

It was never this bad. Maybe people moving to the EU data centres hurt it even more.

Ultros has always been near dead starting at around 1am PST since I can remember. This is why last year in the fall I was seriously considering switching servers to be on a world with a more active West Coast population. The one benefit I can remember about being on Ultros while on the west coast was that The Hunt was nice and smooth without everyone on to zerg stuff. You got to everything and got full credit for it easily, and less complaining. However, there was nothing else to do. It would literally be a few stragglers from the earlier time zones staying up too late, and then N'uadha and Zan still up. And then Kenai/Kooka/Panda's group getting on for a bit. It was pretty lonely. And since I worked later hours while I lived there, getting home around 8pm PT, I had maybe an hour with most people before they started signing off, two if I was lucky. The only days I cared about getting online during the week were raid days, otherwise weekends were when I looked forward to playing the most. I remember complaining about this a lot in FC chat. Maintenance also sucked for PT for me because I would barely get any time to log in and do anything.

Being in central time now plus getting off work at 6pm has worked out better in terms of being in the game when it's more active, and it definitely shows to me that Ultros is heavily East Coast and Central Time players. However, it's wreaked havoc on my sleep schedule since it feels like I can be up till 2am and people are still active so I lose track of time. I really need to institute a midnight cut off for a while to get back on track. Or just move back to California and get on PT again.

Sora_N

Ultros has always been near dead starting at around 1am PST since I can remember. This is why last year in the fall I was seriously considering switching servers to be on a world with a more active West Coast population. The one benefit I can remember about being on Ultros while on the west coast was that The Hunt was nice and smooth without everyone on to zerg stuff. You got to everything and got full credit for it easily, and less complaining. However, there was nothing else to do. It would literally be a few stragglers from the earlier time zones staying up too late, and then N'uadha and Zan still up. And then Kenai/Kooka/Panda's group getting on for a bit. It was pretty lonely. And since I worked later hours while I lived there, getting home around 8pm PT, I had maybe an hour with most people before they started signing off, two if I was lucky. The only days I cared about getting online during the week were raid days, otherwise weekends were when I looked forward to playing the most. I think I would play to 1am at the latest, too, because of how dead things were by that time. I remember complaining about this a lot in FC chat. Maintenance also sucked for PT for me because I would barely get any time to log in and do anything.

Being in central time now plus getting off work at 6pm has worked out better in terms of being in the game when it's more active, and it definitely shows to me that Ultros is heavily East Coast and Central Time players. However, it's wreaked havoc on my sleep schedule since it feels like I can be up till 2am and people are still active so I lose track of time. I really need to institute a midnight cut off for a while to get back on track. Or just move back to California and get on PT again.

Huh I didn't know that. No wonder why it's so dead at night. I'm PST.

Tabris

I think between my stereotypical grammar nerd picture and the cm punk video, my stereotypical grammar nerd picture is more on fleek :)

Yes, I used 'on fleek' instead of 'on point' to make your inner grammar nerd go crazy.

Top Bottom