• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

So I've been playing this game a bit late at night before going to bed to finally try to get DRK to 60, and man the server is absolutely dead after midnight PST. Coerthas Highlands had like 3 people.

They really need to merge servers ASAP. I understand they most likely keep them separate for patch & expansion launches, but after 1-2 weeks from those times, they die so quickly.

Because of their shitty housing system, it's hard to imagine a server merge in this game which could actually work.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Gaf guild still has 50 people online every night at prime time, which is pretty good for ded gaem.

You know, after a hard day of killing stuff you want to retire back at the GAF estate. I'll have a vodka tonic or two or fifteen and I like to people watch.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It was never this bad. Maybe people moving to the EU data centres hurt it even more.

There used to be a late night LS on Ultros when I was still on that server. Usually had 30+ people on after midnight Pacific Time. No idea if it still exists. If you ask around you might find it or something similar.

Ken

There used to be a late night LS on Ultros when I was still on that server. Usually had 30+ people on after midnight Pacific Time. No idea if it still exists. If you ask around you might find it or something similar.

I was in a late night LS once but no one ever actually did anything in it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I was in a late night LS once but no one ever actually did anything in it.

The problem with a lot of those types of LSes is that even if the person makes it they don't take the lead to get anything done, and consequently no one else does or even networks so nothing comes of it. Or it's just meant as a social sort of thing, in which case raids and the like aren't really the intended purpose of the LS. Some of them work out well, though. The one I was in was doing primals and coil pretty regularly during ARR.

Caj814

Was wondering if Ultros or Primal in general still does CT, ST, WoD queues? I only went through CT once and wanted to finish the quest lines and get some of the drops there

Omni

Was wondering if Ultros or Primal in general still does CT, ST, WoD queues? I only went through CT once and wanted to finish the quest lines and get some of the drops there

The queues are really long. Today I waited... two hours? For WoD (trying to get the minion, haha). But it's still possible to get in.

aceface

I don't remember anyone looking for groups for these recently. I know a little while back Korra was talking about doing a dedicated group to run WoD together until everyone got their minion but I don't know if anything came of it.

Demoskinos

Just checked my retainer who I sent on on a Quick Venture last night.

She just fucking brought me back a Head of the Dreadwyrm. I cannot believe that stupid luck.

CVfZ9tEUEAAv8ts.png

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Started by Lancer discipline. Already at lvl 8. Doing levequests and hunting. I'm hoping to reach 34 in a couple of days. The good news is that I can make my own lances.

[badjokes]

You know Final Coil is easy when...

[/badjokes]

Retainers were farming all the Coil turns before players ever got there. Remember when someone in GAF had their retainer bring back a drop from the last boss of Second Coil before anyone had even cleared it?

They should just send our retainers to go save the world so we can focus on important things like glamour.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Came by a bunch of money, buy the Thavnairian set or save for High Allagan...
Decision of the year.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Do minions have any other purpose than to follow you around and look pookie (uber cute)?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey FFXIV-GAF Anyway I can see my character and what I have
Account is not active
Also had that key password thingy to log in

Anywhere just to see overall view
Once I'm out of the hospital I'm coming back for the next free return for older players and give away my gil if it's still worth anything
I think I have roughly 40,000,000 saved unless they delete characters

Sifl

Sorry for the possibly stupid question (especially if it's explained on ff logs and I didn't see it) but what's the difference between dps a and dps e? I did Savage for first time and when I clicked on my name it had these 2 different numbers.

Ken

Hey FFXIV-GAF Anyway I can see my character and what I have
Account is not active
Also had that key password thingy to log in

Anywhere just to see overall view
Once I'm out of the hospital I'm coming back for the next free return for older players and give away my gil if it's still worth anything
I think I have roughly 40,000,000 saved unless they delete characters

Not that I know of besides what you can see on lodestone.

scy

Sorry for the possibly stupid question (especially if it's explained on ff logs and I didn't see it) but what's the difference between dps a and dps e? I did Savage for first time and when I clicked on my name it had these 2 different numbers.

DPS(active) vs DPS(encounter). Basically removing downtime from the calculations as best it can vs the whole fight timer. Just use DPS(e) for comparison purposes.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Not that I know of besides what you can see on lodestone.

Well that sucks, was hoping for Destiny app kind of thing
Tried Lodestone but need active sub + password key thing lol

Oh wells let's see if I'm out by next free Adventurer Return I'm home, just so I can give it away and move on

Gonna be tough throwing away my Gold Pick-Axe and Axe =/

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I am watching a streaming video of people playing FFXIV and I see some guy using guns. What discipline/job is that?

Ken

I am watching a streaming video of people playing FFXIV and I see some guy using guns. What discipline/job is that?

Machinist. Heavensward job.

Also this game freezing in PS4 has gotten worse. I've now had it happen on character select and just running around. Zzz.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Machinist. Heavensward job.

When I start Heavensward will I be able to change from Bard to Machinist?

Edit: The game has freezes on me too. Especially when it's loading a new section. The loading icon stops. So I have to shut down the game and restart. Thank God the server starts me off right where I left off.

Omni

Edit: The game has freezes on me too. Especially when it's loading a new section. The loading icon stops. So I have to shut down the game and restart. Thank God the server starts me off right where I left off.
Yup. Though if you're planning on completely 'switching', you'll have to level up from 30 again which could be a bit grindy considering DPS queues.

I'm not a fan of MCH, personally. Bards are cooler.

Ken

You get MCH just from being able to access Ishgard so yeah.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Though if you're planning on completely 'switching', you'll have to level up from 30 again which could be a bit grindy considering DPS queues.

I'm not a fan of MCH, personally. Bards are cooler.

Well, I loved being a RAmar and it kinda reminded me of it.

Edit; I didn't experience one disconnect and hardly any lag. I only planned on playing a couple of hours. I ended up playing for seven.

Ayumi

Are there any reasons I shouldn't blow 1/3rd of my gil on a Fat Cat?

:3 .... I want it so badly. And I can imagine I'll be able to earn back the money within a day.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I guess we're getting close to inactive players with housing getting email notices that their homes will be demolished soon. I wonder how many will come back and how many places will get torn down just in time for Christmas.

Demoskinos

Are there any reasons I shouldn't blow 1/3rd of my gil on a Fat Cat?

:3 .... I want it so badly. And I can imagine I'll be able to earn back the money within a day.

Blowing gil on real dumb superfluous shit is half the meta game of FFXIV.

Kayo-kun

I just bought the game and will pick it up next week. I just had a quick question that I would like to ask to this community.

Which job should I choose? I can't decide if I should go for a Dark Knight or a Dragoon What's better for a beginner and overall more enjoyable in your opinion?

I heard Dragoons are kinda underpowered and that Dark Knights are quite complex and have a high learning curve. Don't know if you agree with these statements.

Sifl

I just bought the game and will pick it up next week. I just had a quick question that I would like to ask to this community.

Which job should I choose? I can't decide if I should go for a Dark Knight or a Dragoon What's better for a beginner and overall more enjoyable in your opinion?

I heard Dragoons are kinda underpowered and that Dark Knights are quite complex and have a high learning curve. Don't know if you agree with these statements.
You can't play Dark Knight until you reach the expansion area, which you won't reach until you have another class at 50. Dragoon definitely isn't underpowered, it's just not very exciting to play at lower levels.
Edit: Well, at lower levels Dragoon is a Lancer. By the time you unlock Dragoon at 30 it's more fun to play, I guess

Demoskinos

You can't play Dark Knight until you reach the expansion area, which you won't reach until you have another class at 50. Dragoon definitely isn't underpowered, it's just not very exciting to play at lower levels.
Edit: Well, at lower levels Dragoon is a Lancer. By the time you unlock Dragoon at 30 it's more fun to play, I guess

pretty accurate. Lancer can be awfully boring to play. Once you hit proper Dragoon it gets better. Level 60 Dragoon is a ton of fun now thanks to BotD mechanics.

You can level every job on one character, and you can instantly change between them freely (unless you're in a dungeon or other duty). As has already been said, you need to get into the expansion area to unlock Dark Knight and that will take a while if you're starting from scratch.

I'd say start the game as lancer (upgrades to dragoon) and see how you feel about it at level 50. Level 50 is the cap for pre-expac FFXIV and it's also the point where the jobs really come together, so that's essentially the point where you truly get a feel for a job. (Unless you're a bard, but that's another topic.)

One thing to keep in mind is that dragoon and dark knight have different roles: dragoon is a DPS class, while dark knight is a tank class. If you're not that fond of lancer/dragoon, I'd suggest trying gladiator (also a tank class) for a bit. It upgrades to Paladin, and has some cross-class skills you'll want to pick up for Dark Knight. But most importantly, you can use it to learn how to tank in FFXIV, and the basics of the job isn't too different from Dark Knight while you're levelling. Marauder (upgrades to warrior) is fine too, but I think Dark Knight has more in common with Paladin than it does with Warrior.

Either way, once you get to the expansion area, you can jump into Dark Knight at level 30, and see how you feel about it without losing your progress on Dragoon. You'll also get a solid experience boost for having another job at a higher level. Or maybe you'll decide you hate them both and level summoner or something instead! There's plenty of different things to try out.

Demoskinos

Early on Dragoons suffered a lot for a few reasons. Horrible animation locks on jumps and having literally the worst magic defense in the game. As well as a few other issues. These issues were largely all worked out by 3.0

3.0 Dragoons are pretty beastly in the hands of a skilled player. And I think they are one of the classes that got more fun to play with the expansion.

As to Dark Knight you will have to get to Heavenward. I would **HIGHLY** suggest you level some of the other tank classes to get access to some really important skills like Provoke if you do plan on tanking.

Top Bottom