• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

aceface

Our drg does it fine on a controller. I seem to remember there's macros you can set up to auto select the bomb? Might want to look into that.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Our drg does it fine on a controller. I seem to remember there's macros you can set up to auto select the bomb? Might want to look into that.

Speaking of macros I read that macros are very important for Bards. I need to research how to set them up. What are macros used for? And what are rotations?

scy

I wrote that post before you edited in the SMN part so I was more speaking to the choice of melee in the tank. My point still stands honestly but yeah, no reason to put any ranged in the tank.

At this point, probably just solo heal it with the healer in the Gobwalker, maximum DPS!

Honestly though, whoever is best with mechanics and stacking the Vulnerability will end up being the best choice. The 100s of difference, if that, between the melee will matter a lot less if it's down to someone keeping up 5 stacks of vuln all the time vs dropping stacks.

Speaking of macros I read that macros are very important for Bards. I need to research how to set them up. What are macros used for? And what are rotations?

Macros are bad for basically everyone and I assume this is the one-button Bard macro that's incredibly terrible. Generally speaking, you only use macros for things where the inherent delay doesn't matter or more for tying text or other commands to a skill use (e.g., Provoke macros). Basically, for actually doing damage as any class, you will want to stay away from having macros.

"Rotation" applies more to the melee since they tend to follow a stricter flow of skill use but it's broadly just meant as how to optimize your damage. In regards to Bard, this is their priority system of when to hit certain skills that are up at the same time, when to use buffs, etc. If you want to read up more on the how2Bard stuff, Krietor's guide is a good resource, though more of an end-game concern since you're missing like ... all of the buttons.

Sifl

Meh, guess it doesn't really matter then. I'll just try to learn it the best I can, if we keep getting stuck because I'm not doing well on it I'll suggest some1 else do it or they find someone who can learn/do it better then me.

Sorian

Banned
Meh, guess it doesn't really matter then. I'll just try to learn it the best I can, if we keep getting stuck because I'm not doing well on it I'll suggest some1 else do it or they find someone who can learn/do it better then me.

tldr: If you can move bombs and keep the vuln stacks at max then your group is fine, if you can't then anyone else in your group should do it, max individual deeps does not matter at this point, tank work is 100% the most important aspect of the fight.

Jesus why are there so many goddamn quests after the credits before I can go into Heavensward? So much busy work and talking! I guess they needed to fill the gaps with something until the expansion came out.

Sorian

Banned
Jesus why are there so many goddamn quests after the credits before I can go into Heavensward? So much busy work and talking! I guess they needed to fill the gaps with something until the expansion came out.

You mean the first set of credits from the 2.0 story? Yeah, there were five patches all with multi-hour storylines. Those credits were only about the halfway point, you will get credits again after the 2.55 storyline.

And credits again after the heavensward story lol

Frumix

Suffering From Success
PF on Excalibur is almost constantly populated by statics seeking people and never finding them.

Next tier can't come soon enough, this one's deader than dead.

Ken

PF on Excalibur is almost constantly populated by statics seeking people and never finding them.

Next tier can't come soon enough, this one's deader than dead.

I do wonder that even if 3.2 brings a stellar raid, will it be enough to reinvigorate interest in people who have already left to come back.

Kind of leaning towards no. Player retention seems a lot easier than actually getting back people who have already exited the system.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is there a point to getting an esoteric weapon now if relics are coming out soon? Do I need an esoteric weapon to start the relic?

Just switched over to BLM and am wondering if the tomes could be better spent on armor.

Ken

Is there a point to getting an esoteric weapon now if relics are coming out soon? Do I need an esoteric weapon to start the relic?

Just switched over to BLM and am wondering if the tomes could be better spent on armor.

Don't know about the Esoterics thing, but the original relics did use the current tomestones to zenith it so if Esoterics were involved in some way it wouldn't be without precedent I suppose.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Thanks. I was not playing when the original relics were out so I was wondering that. I will hold on to the tomes for now so I have enough to buy a weapon when 3.15 comes out.

theta11

I do wonder that even if 3.2 brings a stellar raid, will it be enough to reinvigorate interest in people who have already left to come back.

Kind of leaning towards no. Player retention seems a lot easier than actually getting back people who have already exited the system.

Historically speaking, content patches do very little to invigorate a MMO population and are more aimed at retention. There's usually not enough content in a patch to renew interest since consumer usually quits for a list of reasons and it's unlikely a smaller patch will deliver on enough things on the list to make them reconsider.

Which is why MMOs are probably going to go yearly expansion route in the future if possible.

Ken

Historically speaking, content patches do very little to invigorate a MMO population and are more aimed at retention. There's usually not enough content in a patch to renew interest since consumer usually quits for a list of reasons and it's unlikely a smaller patch will deliver on enough things on the list to make them reconsider.

Which is why MMOs are probably going to go yearly expansion route in the future if possible.

Bookey still wants your Goblet house btw.

Redx508

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

Sora_N

That's why I need a break before finishing the last patch.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Macros are bad for basically everyone and I assume this is the one-button Bard macro that's incredibly terrible. Generally speaking, you only use macros for things where the inherent delay doesn't matter or more for tying text or other commands to a skill use (e.g., Provoke macros). Basically, for actually doing damage as any class, you will want to stay away from having macros.

"Rotation" applies more to the melee since they tend to follow a stricter flow of skill use but it's broadly just meant as how to optimize your damage. In regards to Bard, this is their priority system of when to hit certain skills that are up at the same time, when to use buffs, etc. If you want to read up more on the how2Bard stuff, Krietor's guide is a good resource, though more of an end-game concern since you're missing like ... all of the buttons.

Thanks. This will help. ^.^

Sifl

Anyone getting horrible lag in Diadem Hard or normal? We did Hard mode today and some of people in our party were lagging to the point where they tried switching jobs and it took it about 2 minutes to register. We saw other people from our server in there and they said they were experiencing same thing and basically got no credit on anything.

So.. I want to try the game out and got the demo on Steam. It says I need to make a SquareEnix account which I create

It then says it will send me a confirmation email and the code in the email expires an hour after it arrives. It's been 20 minutes and I've tried making two accounts and no email? Their email system isn't immediate? Slightly worried if this is worth the effort...

As of now.. I can't even play. What a bad user experience...

Ken

So.. I want to try the game out and got the demo on Steam. It says I need to make a SquareEnix account which I create

It then says it will send me a confirmation email and the code in the email expires an hour after it arrives. It's been 20 minutes and I've tried making two accounts and no email? Their email system isn't immediate? Slightly worried if this is worth the effort...

As of now.. I can't even play. What a bad user experience...

Did you check your junk mail?

Demoskinos

Anyone getting horrible lag in Diadem Hard or normal? We did Hard mode today and some of people in our party were lagging to the point where they tried switching jobs and it took it about 2 minutes to register. We saw other people from our server in there and they said they were experiencing same thing and basically got no credit on anything.

I've still been getting lag spikes in general during evening hours. Was leveling DRK and went to run cutters cry and I was dropping so many packets things were standing still for 2-3 seconds at a time.

Pollux

What's the best wY to lvl a second class? Started as pugilist. Then got the envoy mission around lvl 16 and switched to rogue at Limsa. But it seems like I can't find any quests in places like summerford and places lie that. And killing things gets boring sometimes. At lvl 7 now with rogue

Ken

What's the best wY to lvl a second class? Started as pugilist. Then got the envoy mission around lvl 16 and switched to rogue at Limsa. But it seems like I can't find any quests in places like summerford and places lie that. And killing things gets boring sometimes. At lvl 7 now with rogue

Do FATEs or spam easy leves if you have the allowances for it.

Or try to find a healer to power level you.

Something special about Balmung? After our FC leader kicked us all out of the FC except for her in game husband, then a week later she and her ex hopped servers there.

iammeiam

Balmung may be on to something. Raiding gets old hat, but ERP never will.

With all the doom and gloom in this thread I'm actually amazed at the number of green shoots I see everywhere.

Eh, the new player experience for the game is still really solid, and the HW changes to gearing and quest EXP to 50 made it better for new players. Where the expansion has been doing a massive faceplant is long-term player retention. 3.1 even failed to deliver on a story that tied in with the rest of the content. Thordan was like the only good thing in there and given that he was designed to be overcome relatively easily by frustrated raiders, he doesn't really have much of a shelf life.

There's a lot of pressure on 3.2 at this point; I just hope the dev team is focusing on what needs addressing.

Sylas

Something special about Balmung? After our FC leader kicked us all out of the FC except for her in game husband, then a week later she and her ex hopped servers there.

I mean... all the ERP comments are spot-on but it's also the unofficial RP server in general! So not all of us are hounding after that sweet cat-ass all the time.

All the time.

If you have the, uh... gumption, I guess, to roleplay you do typically extend the lifespan of a MMO in general. Hell, I've seen people get creative enough with RP stuff that it was better content than anything a developer has put out. Granted, this was in WoW where you could literally make fake items and quests with their addon API.

There's a lot of pressure on 3.2 at this point; I just hope the dev team is focusing on what needs addressing.
Yeeeeeeeah. I want to be optimistic but both 3.0 and 3.1 have felt increasingly aimless in what they want each patch to actually have. I feel like they really need to refocus. 3.1 was a flop because it had a bunch of "experimental" content that all sorta sucked in it's own way and they didn't seem to have much of a contingency plan even if they talked about trying new things in the 3.x series that might not necessarily work.

It's kind of a bummer, really. If I wasn't co-leading a RP FC that needs tending to I'd probably unsub at this point for a few months.

BadRNG

Yeah I can't wait for new Golden Saucer mini games either.

Honestly, even if Alexander II is the best raiding tier they've done yet, I am not sure you recover all the lost people/groups if that's what you are expecting. Like Unknown Soldier said, most the time when long term raiders quit they don't suddenly come back next patch to raid. At best you see them pop in for a new expansion, but amidst normal patch cycles isn't really common I don't think.

Personally I am prepared to be disappointed. The only aspect I am interesting in 3.2-wise right now are the tank/vitality/materia changes, but I can't really see them doing a big overhaul so I expect a sloppy patchwork of ideas. Overmelding every piece of loot alone sounds scary in how many billion different ways they can mess that up. Alexander itself is just bleh, the place doesn't do it for me thematically right now. Maybe the goblins will fuck up in the 5th floor and get killed by Alexander, who starts to break down/become corrupted and we can see some actual fun stuff happening like whatever is going on in Jigglybutt's broken down area. Just no more stiff boring robots please.

Top Bottom