• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

theta11

I'll never see the enjoyment of an easy carry.

Honestly I never saw the enjoyment of getting power leveled either...but I guess thats a bit different.

I don't think the enjoyment comes from the act itself. Think of it as making a choice between taking the stairs and taking the elevator.

My personal experience with power leveling is similar. I don't want to power leveled because I like the act of power leveling. It's because I am at point A in the game and I'm not having fun and I want to get to point B. I've always found power leveling extremely boring but that doesn't mean I would never do it.

Sandfox

I'll never see the enjoyment of an easy carry.

Honestly I never saw the enjoyment of getting power leveled either...but I guess thats a bit different.

Some of it has to do with either the difficulty people are having finding a group to actually clear the content with or people fed up with the content and just want to get it done.

Omni

Earlier I was doing Thordan and we got to the last dragon's eye. We wiped there because two DPS had died just moments before and we couldn't burn Zephirin fast enough, but Thordan himself still had... 34% health left. Though I'd imagine it would be below 30 were everyone still alive. I noticed, however, that in Mr Happy's guide, Thordan had less than 5% health at the same part.

There are no real mechanics following that point, so would it have been possible to beat with that much health before enrage? I'm pretty confident in healing the fight now. I just want that clear >.>

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For how much SE is warning about not updating to iOS 9.2 if you're using the authenticator, one would think that they could ask for an expedited review of the authenticator app update and push it out asap.

Has 14 become GAF's new game to hate play?

The new Heavensward expansion pack started out awesome, great story, great leveling experience etc, and then it fizzled pretty hard. Endgame content is pretty lacking and set to two extremes-either casual or hardcore. There's almost zero mid tier content for those who would like to raid but don't have or don't want to join a raid group.

Also depending on your server endgame raiding like Alexander Savage is either a thing to do or is simply non-existent. Save for a few hardcore groups they haven't sever hopped yet you'll be boned if your on a low population sever.

Earlier I was doing Thordan and we got to the last dragon's eye. We wiped there because two DPS had died just moments before and we couldn't burn Zephirin fast enough, but Thordan himself still had... 34% health left. Though I'd imagine it would be below 30 were everyone still alive. I noticed, however, that in Mr Happy's guide, Thordan had less than 5% health at the same part.

There are no real mechanics following that point, so would it have been possible to beat with that much health before enrage? I'm pretty confident in healing the fight now. I just want that clear >.>

It wouldn't have been possible: once Zephirin uses Sacred Cross, you have about 40 seconds before the cast for the enrage goes off.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I‘m told the time until enrage Quaga differs based on how fast you dealt with double PLDs though obviously if you onecycle those enrage is unlikely to be an issue. I wouldn't know. Needs competent healing to get that far anyway, I only ever got through the last phase once and it was me WHMing.

Omni

It wouldn't have been possible: once Zephirin uses Sacred Cross, you have about 40 seconds before the cast for the enrage goes off.

I‘m told the time until enrage Quaga differs based on how fast you dealt with double PLDs though obviously if you onecycle those enrage is unlikely to be an issue. I wouldn't know. Needs competent healing to get that far anyway, I only ever got through the last phase once and it was me WHMing.
Our DPS in those checks felt really good,. I actually told them that I wasn't used to the Knights dying so fast, haha. No problems with meteors or anything either. So I was a little surprised to see Thordan with so much health at the end. Maybe people were being a bit a bit overzealous with their saving of cooldowns? I dunno.

Man, times like these I wish I was in a static or something. I feel like another hour or so at it and we would have cleared. Everyone knew the mechanics which was a nice change of pace. I must have left a good impression on my WHM because I was invited to try again on Thursday with the same people, but I dunno if that'll actually happen.

Oh the perils of using the PF

Question:

I currently have a NA account and I'm moving to Japan next year. What's the easiest way to go about paying my subscription?

I'm probably going to keep a Bank account and a credit card in the US linked to my brother's home so I guess I can keep it alive that way? But lets say that isn't an option. What other ways of paying other than sending my brother money to buy me time cards (which is more expensive than the base sub) do I have? My head is spinning trying to figure this out so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Ken

Question:

I currently have a NA account and I'm moving to Japan next year. What's the easiest way to go about paying my subscription?

I'm probably going to keep a Bank account and a credit card in the US linked to my brother's home so I guess I can keep it alive that way? But lets say that isn't an option. What other ways of paying other than sending my brother money to buy me time cards (which is more expensive than the base sub) do I have? My head is spinning trying to figure this out so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

PayPal.

You can also stock up on crysta though I don't know if there's a cap on how much you can hold at a time, and it would be assuming you'd actually be playing that long.

Our DPS in those checks felt really good,. I actually told them that I wasn't used to the Knights dying so fast, haha. No problems with meteors or anything either. So I was a little surprised to see Thordan with so much health at the end. Maybe people were being a bit a bit overzealous with their saving of cooldowns? I dunno.

Man, times like these I wish I was in a static or something. I feel like another hour or so at it and we would have cleared. Everyone knew the mechanics which was a nice change of pace. I must have left a good impression on my WHM because I was invited to try again on Thursday with the same people, but I dunno if that'll actually happen.

Oh the perils of using the PF

Are you on Ultros?

Demoskinos

Ultros GAF! I know this is so 7 months ago for quite a few of you but I've been spending the last week or two trying my darnest to get my Kirin mount. As I took a good 4 months off from the game this summer/spring. I only just got my first pony (Garuda) a few weeks ago.

Been scumming the PF and I've gotten stupid lucky somehow and have gotten all but Leviathan and Ifrit. Looking to try to get a party together tonight. Not sure if anyone is down but if so let me know. I'm Musubi Azeyma on Ultros. I'd like to come out of the weekend with this goal down. :)

I'd be more than happy do do other Primals after Ifrit/Levi if anyone needs them.

Hm, that is kind of puzzling without seeing a parse or a video. It does strike me as odd that the party would have no trouble with the knights or the meteors, but still be something like 25% behind where you want to be on the enrage phase. What percentage did the party bring him to on the first phase?

The only causes I can think of with that in mind are too many/too frequent deaths, too many simultaneous deaths, and/or not being able to sustain DPS through mechanics in the later phases due to either flawed handling (e.g. missing Conviction towers; stacking for the Spear away from the boss, instead of behind him so that the party can continue to DPS through the mechanic) or just general unfamiliarity or confusion as part of the learning process. As you mentioned, cooldown usage might be a factor, but I don't think it'd be the sole cause of the gap the party experienced on that attempt.

Valor

The only causes I can think of with that in mind are too many/too frequent deaths, too many simultaneous deaths, and/or not being able to sustain DPS through mechanics in the later phases due to either flawed handling (e.g. missing Conviction towers; stacking for the Spear away from the boss, instead of behind him so that the party can continue to DPS through the mechanic) or just general unfamiliarity or confusion as part of the learning process. As you mentioned, cooldown usage might be a factor, but I don't think it'd be the sole cause of the gap the party experienced on that attempt.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Cooldowns aren't going to be a 30% swing, sorry to say. Either the dps just weren't good, weren't experienced with the last few phases, or the way mechanics were handled were bad for keeping dps up on Thordan. Odds are the strategies were just bad.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Moogle Plush is in stock. RIP me though, I spent all my moneys.

I got one of these last month. They look nice.

MNZtD99.jpg

Started playing this again last night to get in my 4 free days. I'm not very far, only level 19 in Limsa Lominsa after finishing up the starting Gridania quests (I think I'm about to do a pirate mission?)

Something has clicked with me coming back - I might consider subbing again after the holidays are through.

Ultros/GAF:

If you do not have your Puff of Darkness, I want to get 8 people together starting tonight to do 1 run of WoD a day (or as often as we can) to get all 8 of us the minion. Post a reply that you're in and I'll try to get this set up. Or if we have a full 24-person alliance, we can do that, too.

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari
3. Ty Gaara
4. Clipse Dudemeister
5. Ari Isacaguchi
6. Caj Charlemagne
7. Victor Strange

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ultros/GAF:

If you do not have your Puff of Darkness, I want to get 8 people together starting tonight to do 1 run of WoD a day (or as often as we can) to get all 8 of us the minion. Post a reply that you're in and I'll try to get this set up. Or if we have a full 24-person alliance, we can do that, too.

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra

I'm in.

Neku89

Hi 14GAF! I bought XIV+Heavensward yesterday, it was heavily discounted (PS4 version, 10€) and I said "why not"?

It's my first MMORPG (barring a few hours with Ragnarok Online and vanilla WoW) so I'm a total noob. I have a few questions:

1) Which server should I choose? I'm in Europe (Italy).
2) Is there a GAF guild or something like that?
3) Any starting advice? I usually like to play mages in RPGs, but for a change I want to choose a physical class: yay or nay? (Or is it an utterly stupid question? :p)

Ken

Hi 14GAF! I bought XIV+Heavensward yesterday, it was heavily discounted (PS4 version, 10€) and I said "why not"?

It's my first MMORPG (barring a few hours with Ragnarok Online and vanilla WoW) so I'm a total noob. I have a few questions:

3) Any starting advice? I usually like to play mages in RPGs, but for a change I want to choose a physical class: yay or nay? (Or is it an utterly stupid question? :p)

Probably a European server? I don't know which EU servers are popular. Maybe Odin.

Most of the time the GAF guild mentioned is the one on Ultros. That's on NA though. Don't think we have a EU GAF guild.

Do whatever since you can be a Mage and a physics class on one character.

suzu

The majority of GAF is on Ultros (see OP for details), but I think a lot of EU players moved to other servers though.

Play whatever you like. Here's a beginner's guide (it's outdated but still has relevant info). Also this icon dictionary might be useful for new players too.

As much as I play this game I've never actually been a part of people getting angry about failing content in my FC except the other night.

Was going Thordan EX with FC and we kept failing. Me and the other healer had the pressure on us cause the tanks apparently didn't have 16k HP. Our break point kept happening during the phase whites two knight and the sword dances.

It felt like no matter how much we tried it was a damn struggle to keep them alive around the third(?) time they get hit by the sword dances. This was made worst when we realized the DK wasn't using Grit after a number of fails.

WM healer got frustrated with someone else in group and left and I felt like a shitbag cause I felt like I coulda healed better and had a tendency to tunnel vision on the tanks while forgetting to AoE heal since it seemed like they were taking an usually high amount of damage.

Sorian

Banned
As much as I play this game I've never actually been a part of people getting angry about failing content in my FC except the other night.

Was going Thordan EX with FC and we kept failing. Me and the other healer had the pressure on us cause the tanks apparently didn't have 16k HP. Our break point kept happening during the phase whites two knight and the sword dances.

It felt like no matter how much we tried it was a damn struggle to keep them alive around the third(?) time they get hit by the sword dances. This was made worst when we realized the DK wasn't using Grit after a number of fails.

Other healer got frustrated with someone else in group and left and I felt like a shitbag cause I felt like I coulda healed better.

You want to know the secret? Your dps was shit. Not yours as in you as the healer but yours as in your group dps (which may or may not be affected by the fact that you, personally, are scared of dpsing).

Ken

third(?) time they get hit by the sword dances.

Third bladedance? Hopefully it's just on 1 tank by the third bladedance.

There's also a pretty big non-cast hit in the knights' rotations; the one that looks like Goring Blade can also kill.

ebil

If you're Italian and/or wish to find people who speak Italian, Ragnarok has a big Italian community. Odin, Cerberus and Phoenix are pretty popular with English speakers, Shiva is mostly German, Moogle is mostly French. Idk about Lich and Zodiark.

Otherwise Ultros has the biggest GAF community but it's on the NA data center.

You want to know the secret? Your dps was shit. Not yours as in you as the healer but yours as in your group dps (which may or may not be affected by the fact that you, personally, are scared of dpsing).
While I'm willing to dps it wouldn't be on something like this.

Third bladedance? Hopefully it's just on 1 tank by the third bladedance.

There's also a pretty big non-cast hit in the knights' rotations; the one that looks like Goring Blade can also kill.
In hindsight we should have had one of us focusing on AoE healing and the other on the tanks.

Sorian

Banned

I don't actually know how much healers actually dps during that part, I would assume not at all while both adds are still up but that's not my game. Regardless though, each tank should only be taking one buffed blade dance at most, there will probably be 3 total but the third one should be happening after one is dead already.

If the above is not the case then this is a dps issue over a healing issue, some healers could probably handle healing fine there with tanks knowing how to cooldown as well but probably a moot point if DPS isn't pulling their weight anyway.

Ken

In hindsight we should have had one of us focusing on AoE healing and the other on the tanks.

Third bladedance is pretty far from the Dragoons' Skyward Leaps x3 and should only be Holiest of Holies 1x though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You can DPS pretty comfortably all the way up to the first cast of Divine Right and SCH can DPS as soon as one of the knights is down (or even after leaps if WHM and dps are on point). All the damage in that phase is completely predictable.

Sorian

Banned
You can DPS pretty comfortably all the way up to the first cast of Divine Right and SCH can DPS as soon as one of the knights is down (or even after leaps if WHM and dps are on point). All the damage in that phase is completely predictable.

Oh yeah, that's true, I forgot they are wet towels until they actually cast their buffs.

Demoskinos

Question...

I thought each additional retainer was $2 correct? Debating getting an extra one but its wanting to charge me $3. WTF?

Ken

Question...

I thought each additional retainer was $2 correct? Debating getting an extra one but its wanting to charge me $3. WTF?

I think the first time you get an additional retainer, regardless of how many, it tacks on the $1 for xyz reasons that I didn't read.

aceface

The two tanks can use their #1 cooldown (Holmg, living dead, hallowed) on the first two sword stance Holy bladedances if it comes down to it. If Living Dead and Hallowed aren't back up from the last run have them use other cooldowns and virus the knight hitting them and they should be ok. I've only seen 3rd Holy Bladedance with one knight up and it hits for a lot less at that point it seems like.

Isaccard

Ultros/GAF:

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari

I have it and can help/in

Clipse

Ultros/GAF:

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari
I'm in. Have the minion already, but I'd like the healer loot for glamour.

Caj814

Ultros/GAF:

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari

Can help do it on my off nights which is Sunday and Monday. It all depends on what time you guys start.

Tirod

So I've got a question regarding the free login period of lapsed subs. I was clearing out the PS4 fridge so to speak and remembered that my client of FF XIV is outdated, so I went ahead and logged in to pull the download.

My question is this: does pulling the download from the client count as my login for the 96 hours or does it start when I log into my character?

If it's the former, then...oops.

Sorian

Banned
So I've got a question regarding the free login period of lapsed subs. I was clearing out the PS4 fridge so to speak and remembered that my client of FF XIV is outdated, so I went ahead and logged in to pull the download.

My question is this: does pulling the download from the client count as my login for the 96 hours or does it start when I log into my character?

It's probably when you actually log in. Not 100% on that though.

suzu

The free login period begins after logging in via the game launcher using your Square Enix user name and password.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/0bedb1c411e10e90b863f223e0a18a3082fa5458

Tirod

The free login period begins after logging in via the game launcher using your Square Enix user name and password.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/0bedb1c411e10e90b863f223e0a18a3082fa5458

Yep, I feared this as soon I as realized what I had done, ha.

Thanks for the referral. Guess I'll be playing this weekend. Be nice to see some GAF names again assuming I'm still in the FC. And hey, if the game grabs me again, I'll probably resub and focus on crafting rather than capping gear currencies.

Ultros/GAF:

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari

not joining, but let me know when y'all will be doing a Syrcus Tower run. Need that Onion Knight

Squishy3

I think it's ridiculous SE doesn't let you download the game via the launcher without an active sub. I got mad about it when I went to restart my sub back in May to play and couldn't preinstall it for payday.

Omni

Are you on Ultros?
I'm on Lamia! Haha. Doesn't really have too many people attempting that stuff as far as I can tell, but I found a cool little community with a FC there so changing servers isn't something I'm gonna do. Oh well

Hm, that is kind of puzzling without seeing a parse or a video. It does strike me as odd that the party would have no trouble with the knights or the meteors, but still be something like 25% behind where you want to be on the enrage phase. What percentage did the party bring him to on the first phase?

I think he was at 75% or so. I realise the transition is at 70% but that's not too bad. First Sacred Cross our DPS burnt him down below 20% and with the Knights I'm pretty sure they killed one in a single transition. Maybe two. But it was fast.

So yeah, you're probably right. There weren't too many deaths (off tank died and that's about it), plus we stacked behind Thordan for Spear, but I guess we were still trying to learn the mechanics towards the end and couldn't push damage out during. Second conviction towers were a bit iffy in particular. Fun fight though!

Jayhawk

I think he was at 75% or so. I realise the transition is at 70% but that's not too bad. First Sacred Cross our DPS burnt him down below 20% and with the Knights I'm pretty sure they killed one in a single transition. Maybe two. But it was fast.

Hate to break it to you, but 75% at transition is pretty bad. The first phase is pretty much hitting a striking dummy with your opener for the most part. Using first Sacred Cross as a measuring stick for DPS is also not a good idea. No need to blow offensive cooldowns there, unless they'll be back up for the next phase.

Omni

Hate to break it to you, but 75% at transition is pretty bad. The first phase is pretty much hitting a striking dummy with your opener for the most part. Using first Sacred Cross as a measuring stick for DPS is also not a good idea. No need to blow offensive cooldowns there, unless they'll be back up for the next phase.
Is it? I had no idea! I assumed between 70-80% was enough for a clear. Just means you have to do a bit more at the end. It was only a random group anyway but like I said, meteors and stuff felt good so I was a bit confused. Well at least I know now for future reference.

but aaaah. It pushes the chance at a clear even further away. I don't think I've been in a group that's dropped him below... 73% there

Top Bottom