• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Feels like the bigger issue isn't that the check is too tight but poor DPS is too prevalent for whatever reasons. Think finding ways to improve that is a better alternative than making things strictly easier only.

You can't make people press buttons. Just by pressing buttons as fast as you can in an order suggested by the game you won't go below ~800 dps (at this time), without any optimizations or application of your brain. Most DPS do less than that. The game just can't play itself for people and until it can it will be impossible to fix poor DPS.

aceface

This thread needs LALA XMAS CHEER

4GRuFIy.jpg

Jayhawk

Remember to get your entries in for the cash shop Item raffle giveaway I am having. You just need to PM me a screenshot of your character in bad glamour. One of the entrants will be randomly chosen for their choice of the Sleipnir mount, Minfilia glamour outfit, white Magitek mount, or a red Magitek mount.

Ken

Remember to get your entries in for the cash shop Item raffle giveaway I am having. You just need to PM me a screenshot of your character in bad glamour. One of the entrants will be randomly chosen for their choice of the Sleipnir mount, Minfilia glamour outfit, white Magitek mount, or a red Magitek mount.

When's the deadline?

IvorB

So are they going to give us any idea about how the relic will work or will we find out on the day? I don't know whether to buy an eso DRG weapon or save up my eso for the relic.

Ken

So are they going to give us any idea about how the relic will work or will we find out on the day? I don't know whether to buy an eso DRG weapon or save up my eso for the relic.

At most the patch notes will just say quest names and locations and not have any significant insight into the actual steps. Datamine usually yields stuff but by then the game's already about to finish maintenance.

IvorB

At most the patch notes will just say quest names and locations and not have any significant insight into the actual steps. Datamine usually yields stuff but by then the game's already about to finish maintenance.

Oh so it will be a "surprise!". That's cool actually.

aceface

Strategically cropped and blocked to remove my snow lala at the bell.

{I see.}

I actually got you in a few shots, that one just came out the best. No worries, we can spam this thread with lala holiday fun!!!

Jayhawk, can you count the above pic for my entry?

Watch them put gobdip in Void Ark, thus making Thordan irrelevant a month after his release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I actually got you in a few shots, that one just came out the best. No worries, we can spam this thread with lala holiday fun!!!

Jayhawk, can you count the above pic for my entry?

Watch them put gobdip in Void Ark, thus making Thordan irrelevant a month after his release.
I fully expect it along with possible nerfs to Alexander.

This is probably my greatest achievement as WHM (from yesterday)

GRsZNSl.png

Better k/d than half of those DPS who wasn't targetable for at least 60% of the match lol

Heal almost 600k in a 24 man seal rock still lose against Adders.

K1zWrTm.gif

This was in a losing effort, too:

Edit: Doubt nerfs or Gobdip added in 3.15. Instead, my prediction is this: The Live Letter on the 23rd will cover Patch 3.18 updates, 3.1 feedback. Nerfs to Alex Savage incoming in 3.18. Godip being added to as reward to trade Void Ark drop for in 3.18. Next Live Letter date announced for late January, will be Patch 3.2 preview part 1.

And for those who use WTFast: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3weem9/wtfast_free_version_to_be_removed/

Free version going bye-bye.

Oh, you that pre-made on Ultros that rolls with four healers?

We usually don't have four. Poci and I are always WHM, and we sometimes have a third healer. We usually just have 0-1 tanks, 5-6 dps, and 2-3 healers. This was the only time I saw us with that many healers.

iammeiam

Edit: Doubt nerfs or Gobdip added in 3.15. Instead, my prediction is this: The Live Letter on the 23rd will cover Patch 3.18 updates, 3.1 feedback. Nerfs to Alex Savage incoming in 3.18. Godip being added to as reward to trade Void Ark drop for in 3.18. Next Live Letter date announced for late January, will be Patch 3.2 preview part 1.

This was posted a few hours ago; so no.

Session
Yoshi-P will give a response to the hot topics that are being discussed globally on the official forum.

Patch 3.2 Preview Part 1
Take a sneak peek at what's to come in patch 3.2.

Special Guest
A special guest comes to visit Yoshi-P.

Incredibly torn on nerfs, but I flat don't see an i210 relic hitting without gobdip going public.

Squishy3

Yeah, they made it pretty clear that the Live Letter will only barely talk about 3.15 stuff, even before this. Still weird we don't have a date yet since there's only 2 weeks left in December it can come out on.

This was posted a few hours ago; so no.

Incredibly torn on nerfs, but I flat don't see an i210 relic hitting without gobdip going public.

Wow...that's uh, way sooner than I thought on a preview. At least I sorta got the 3.1 feedback part right? The hot topics on the forums will probably be about the stuff we've seen everyone complaining about. And for clarification if it wasn't clear, I didn't say anything from 3.15 would be in the live letter...not sure if above posts were implying that I said that or addressing my post as if I said that...

I still don't expect to see nerfs until at least 3.18 at the earliest, though.

Sorian

Banned
Wow...that's uh, way sooner than I thought on a preview. At least I sorta got the 3.1 feedback part right? The hot topics on the forums will probably be about the stuff we've seen everyone complaining about. And for clarification if it wasn't clear, I didn't say anything from 3.15 would be in the live letter...not sure if above posts were implying that I said that or addressing my post as if I said that...

I still don't expect to see nerfs until at least 3.18 at the earliest, though.

I think Angary is insinuating that she doesn't think there will be a 3.18? That's how I read her post, I might be wrong.

iammeiam

Nerfs are sort of a weird thing--A3S as far as I can tell needs to be mechanically neutered to fix the major complaints with it, and if people are concerned about A3S enrage at i209 with Thordan weapons they need to severely ease the checks in 4 to give groups clearing because of a nerfed A3S a real chance even with i210 (leg 3 is a thing. All of the legs are somehow simultaneously DO ALL THE DPS and super boring.)

4 will pretty easily become a much more manageable fight with over gearing and echo in 3.2, and nerfing prior turns when stuff goes off lockout has been established practice for a while, so they're really well set up to remove the roadblocks when the next tier hits. But that's a really long ways off, so a 3.18 that removed the lockout prior to the next tier and made everything more manageable would make a ton of sense.

I'd like there to be a 3.18, but I can see them just wanting to get to 3.2 ASAP.

I think Angary is insinuating that she doesn't think there will be a 3.18? That's how I read her post, I might be wrong.

Ah ok. Totally possible. And yea, it seems like it would be the strongest case for gobdip to be unleashed when relics hit. But maybe they're assuming most people won't get relic for a bit even if grinding out, so maybe they could hold back gobdip a bit longer till a supposed 3.18 in January. See how many more people can clear A4S hurdle without 210 weapons or something, who knows.

Echo won't come till 3.2 I'm guessing since that was the standard time table for echo added to previous raid content? Binding Coil got 5% increases every two weeks, right, starting some point after 2.2? Second coil got a two or three increases after 2.4 landed, right? And Final Coil got echo in 2.55? Or was it 2.5? I forget everything now...such a bad memory.

As for nerfs, I think at this point pre-3.2, if they do a so-called 3.18, just nerf the HP to Living Liquid and Manipulator (and the Legs I assume?). That would only help groups currently who can mechanically do A3S decently enough get through it and then not be slammed by an even harsher DPS check in A4S (which everyone who has cleared it on Ultros has informed me is lighter on the mechanics dance, harsher on the DPS check, and is stupid boring for most of the fight). Tune it so that it's more reasonable to clear those turns in i200, and if you are closer to i210, you're slightly overgeared and will have some breathing room in both fights. Actual mechanics nerfs I hope are kept away until 3.2, at which time the nerf hammer should come down on Digititis (hopefully some combination of an expanded window to swap before debuffs lock in, debuffs don't last as long, are less potent), Add Phase (going to guess something about the last wave of pistons), and maybe Hand of Pain? Not sure if they'll want to touch protean wave or water gaol. I'll let people who are actually on A4S suggest any nerfs other than HP nerf they think wouldn't be surprising to see. Doubt they'll touch A1S or A2S.

Edit: Even though it's too late, there was nothing new earrings wise from the TGS prizes from the past two years, right? As in if I claimed all the stuff from before, I didn't get anything new this time...right?

The only thing I want out of Alexander is for the story going on in the song to actually be going on in reality.

Trying to set those tested
fragments in one direction
Celestial noise detected
but maybe I'm unsuspected
starting to give to reason
turning to me for a defense
transmissions begun, completed
Setup to breach any reset

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nerfing the leg HP on A4S would be fine. It's really only the third leg that's a huge pain (aside from dying later in the fight and having to slog back through) but I think they'd lift some of the stress of that fight by doing something as simple as that. Mechanics are kind of whatever at this point, though personally I wouldn't mind if they reduced damage taken by Carnage/Carnage Zero either.

The manipulator itself doesn't have that much HP. The problem is the legs.

scy

As for nerfs, I think at this point pre-3.2, if they do a so-called 3.18, just nerf the HP to Living Liquid and Manipulator (and the Legs I assume?).

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure, at least for A3S, most groups are walled on getting through the fight in the first place and not really making sure the boss hits zero. I mean, I agree that's the best hands-off change they could do: Decrease the totalHP and/or increase the total fight timer to make the DPS required easier. Just think it doesn't immediately help most people that are stuck with A3S.

I'll let people who are actually on A4S suggest any nerfs other than HP nerf they think wouldn't be surprising to see. Doubt they'll touch A1S or A2S.

make the fight interesting

Long-term wise, they could make Nisi/killing dolls significantly easier, though I wager most people would still sac/Wirble. Only major change I can see would be lowering the damage out from Carnage / Carnage Zero / Discoid so everyone can take two hits. This fight is tuned pretty tightly but it also breaks really easily with more and more stats thrown at it.

iammeiam

^-If they nerf HP at all, we're killing Strafs. Just on principle.

I'll let people who are actually on A4S suggest any nerfs other than HP nerf they think wouldn't be surprising to see. Doubt they'll touch A1S or A2S.

4 is weird because honestly almost nobody actually does the fight they designed. Nisi as a mechanic is tough and would probably be a giant wall in the back half of the fight... But nobody does it because fuck spending five minutes burning legs to even see a mechanic that you have to execute perfectly for the next seven to eight minutes or wipe. Sac cheese basically already nerfed Nisi. All that's left is the DPS checks and some fairly bleh mechanics.

Leg DPS checks are a bitch because they're not so much a wipe or not as missing a check means having to deal with extra mechanics or damage and falling behind pace for enrage. 3 is a common sticking point because you have a relatively small window in which to burn the leg and handle the first set of dolls. Fail the check and get a second set of dolls which is a bunch of extra DPS. The checks on one (beat the tankbuster), two (beat the bonus Quarantine), and four (third doll set I guess? But if you're that slow you're pretty soundly screwed already) aren't near as tight. They could reduce leg HP or extend the time it takes third leg second dolls to spawn and make it not a thing.

Final phase is mostly just lol levels of damage and almost half the party being weakened most of the time. And then that you just can't get as many 10-12 minute wipes into a lockout as earlier phases, so it takes a lot longer to get decent practice time in.

Overgearing will let you cheat/fail mechanics without penalty (at i220/230, double-taps from carnage or two Discoids without a heal shouldn't be death), and next-tier Overgearing and echo will make the DPS check much less steep. So A4S is weird in that it needs actual nerfs significantly less than 3--it'll all eventually take care of itself--but until Overgearing and echo it's going to be annoying and boring.

Ken

The only thing I want out of Alexander is for the story going on in the song to actually be going on in reality.

Trying to set those tested
fragments in one direction
Celestial noise detected
but maybe I'm unsuspected
starting to give to reason
turning to me for a defense
transmissions begun, completed
Setup to breach any reset

They said the songs and lyrics weren't even for Alexander, unless you mean you want them changed to fit lyrics that weren't written for it.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure, at least for A3S, most groups are walled on getting through the fight in the first place and not really making sure the boss hits zero. I mean, I agree that's the best hands-off change they could do: Decrease the totalHP and/or increase the total fight timer to make the DPS required easier. Just think it doesn't immediately help most people that are stuck with A3S.

There are groups far into the last phase of A3S that I think just an HP nerf would benefit. For everyone else, an HP nerf will do nothing. Groups who can't survive the fight long enough to hit enrage on A3S right now have no chance even with an HP nerf. The devs should look at percentage of wipes happening at certain mechanics, see which have the highest percentages, and consider adjusting those parts/mechanics.

Edit: I also think the devs should release footage of their testers clearing each raid as intended before it was released sometime around when that raid cycle is coming to a close. From all I've heard, I want to see a clear video of A4S from the dev team doing the mechanics as intended done back prior to Alexander's release to us all.

Sorian

Banned
There are groups far into the last phase of A3S that I think just an HP nerf would benefit. For everyone else, an HP nerf will do nothing. Groups who can't survive the fight long enough to hit enrage on A3S right now have no chance even with an HP nerf. The devs should look at percentage of wipes happening at certain mechanics, see which have the highest percentages, and consider adjusting those parts/mechanics.

Edit: I also think the devs should release footage of their testers clearing each raid as intended before it was released sometime around when that raid cycle is coming to a close. From all I've heard, I want to see a clear video of A4S from the dev team doing the mechanics as intended done back prior to Alexander's release to us all.

What if the testers never beat A4S? D:

What if the testers never beat A4S? D:

Then they should never have released it. Unless they're in the business of making arcade games where the goal is to dangle a carrot constantly so people keep pumping quarters in futility because getting the carrot is virtually impossible or requires a lot of time (and money spent)...oh...wait...

Sorian

Banned
Then they should never have released it. Unless they're in the business of making arcade games where the goal is to dangle a carrot constantly so people keep pumping quarters in futility because getting the carrot is virtually impossible or requires a lot of time (and money spent)...oh...wait...

I like to think that SE is above this tactic but I could believe it. I'm being facetious and I would hope that testers did clear everything as intended before release but the niggle is in my mind.

iammeiam

Honestly the most offensive thing about Nisi to me is that it drops once and only once around five minutes into the fight, and serves no purpose until Pentacle spawns three+ minutes after it'll have naturally fallen off. It's also useless in normal, meaning it was pretty much designed to "gotcha!" death the early progression groups and force perfect runs (Nisi carrier dies to anything? Lol gg.)

I just resent the entire design philosophy behind the mechanic.

Sorian

Banned
I think about this every time I go in there.

*Yoship sits alone in his office in the middle of the night reviewing the data of all the failed clear attempts by the testers*

"This will teach them for calling final coil baby mode content"

*leans back in his chair as he lights his cigarette*

"keikaku doori"

*Yoship sits alone in his office in the middle of the night reviewing the data of all the failed clear attempts by the testers*

"This will teach them for calling final coil baby mode content"

*leans back in his chair as he lights his cigarette*

"keikaku doori"
"Titan HM is hard because your camera isn't zoomed out." YoshiP 2013

Top Bottom