• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Loona

3) Any starting advice? I usually like to play mages in RPGs, but for a change I want to choose a physical class: yay or nay? (Or is it an utterly stupid question? :p)

I've just recently returned to the game and my experience is pretty limited, but regarding classes, practically all can be upgraded to more role-focused jobs at level 30 if you have a specific different class at level 15.
In some case, these class combinations consists of a physical and a mage class, so you might want to look into the jobs that are unlocked by such a mix and see if any pair suits you.

psy18

Is it? I had no idea! I assumed between 70-80% was enough for a clear. Just means you have to do a bit more at the end. It was only a random group anyway but like I said, meteors and stuff felt good so I was a bit confused. Well at least I know now for future reference.

but aaaah. It pushes the chance at a clear even further away. I don't think I've been in a group that's dropped him below... 73% there

Cleared it last night with pf group (all 8 players first clear)
Party was DRK, WAR, MNK, SMN, BRD, DRG, WHM, AST

We reached 71% at first phase,and beat him a few moments after the last add disappear (tether knight zephirin?).

So I think definitely aim for something around 73% at end of first phase to get comfortable clear before enrage.

Edit : we set the minimum ilvl at 195, also for dps setup we set 1 BRD/MCH, 2 meele dps, 1 BLM/SMN. Everyone already have experience up to the last add.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
QkkO4rD.jpg

Got carried through this thing because that's just how I roll.
A really well-made fight in all honesty. It'd be really fun if it wasn't so highly tuned.

Sorian

Banned
Cleared it last night with pf group (all 8 players first clear)
Party was DRK, WAR, MNK, SMN, BRD, DRG, WHM, AST

We reached 71% at first phase,and beat him a few moments after the last add disappear (tether knight zephirin?).

So I think definitely aim for something around 73% at end of first phase to get comfortable clear before enrage.

Edit : we set the minimum ilvl at 195, also for dps setup we set 1 BRD/MCH, 2 meele dps, 1 BLM/SMN. Everyone already have experience up to the last add.

73% is still at the high end of things but yeah, with no deaths at all, that should still be enough to win. You want closer to 71% to be comfortable.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
At this point, I'm just enjoying leveling up jobs. There's no endgame for me. =/
v9Y8Anr.png

Same, I enjoy getting to play at my own pace though. Besides my FC doesn't have enough hardcore players and I wouldn't want to pressure myself to get on at specific times.

Ultros/GAF:

If you do not have your Puff of Darkness, I want to get 8 people together starting tonight to do 1 run of WoD a day (or as often as we can) to get all 8 of us the minion. Post a reply that you're in and I'll try to get this set up. Or if we have a full 24-person alliance, we can do that, too.

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari

Definitely interested as I don't have the Puff, but won't be able to join in tonight's run.

(Ty Graa here.)

Omni

I got a lesser panda from my daily levelling roulette

To sell or to keep. They seem to go for about 2 million on my server. HMM

BadRNG

Got carried through this thing because that's just how I roll.
A really well-made fight in all honesty. It'd be really fun if it wasn't so highly tuned.
I'm worried they will overnerf it next patch, with current gear I don't think tuning is an issue anymore, and if you remove too much of the dance it'll just be boring. It's only floor I look forward to every week as is.

I wonder what part of the fight people have most issue with, if they monitor where people are wiping I assume they will focus on that area for nerfs.

I think it's ridiculous SE doesn't let you download the game via the launcher without an active sub. I got mad about it when I went to restart my sub back in May to play and couldn't preinstall it for payday.

Squenix is hilariously doucheriffic about what non-subscribers are allowed to do. For example, the official forums only let you login if your sub is active. So only active subscribers can post there. I don't even know what the point of doing that is, I guess they figure if you dare to let your sub lapse you can get fucked, you're either with them or against them. This explains the 45 days until your house explodes timer too.

Sorian

Banned
Squenix is hilariously doucheriffic about what non-subscribers are allowed to do. For example, the official forums only let you login if your sub is active. So only active subscribers can post there. I don't even know what the point of doing that is, I guess they figure if you dare to let your sub lapse you can get fucked, you're either with them or against them. This explains the 45 days until your house explodes timer too.

This is regular business practice for subscription MMOs. SE is a shit storm but just attributing everything bad to them isn't very classy.

walei

Hey guys, what's a good NA server for Asian English speaking players to join?

I play on Famfrit which is suppose to be pretty populated but it's pretty dead when I log on (around 6am~10am EST)

I know there is an English speaking community going on Tonberry but I DF a lot and I'd like to know what people are chatting about. At the moment lag is not that too big of an issue for me (been playing since PS4 launch) and I'm pretty successful clearing most contents that I want to go after.

Ken

I play on Famfrit which is suppose to be pretty populated but it's pretty dead when I log on (around 6am~10am EST)

I know there is an English speaking community going on Tonberry but I DF a lot and I'd like to know what people are chatting about. At the moment lag is not that too big of an issue for me (been playing since PS4 launch) and I'm pretty successful clearing most contents that I want to go after.

You probably couldn't go wrong with Tonberry.

If you could speak JP you could go to the holy grounds of Chocobo probably.

psy18

Trust me, you'll want the lowest lag you can get. Some encounters are exponentially harder with lag.

Can't go wrong with Tonberry. Lots of english speaking players there. The Party Finder are full with english parties looking for group.

Not worth it to move to worse lag server just to hear what people are saying in DF (not much people talks in DF anyway). I never have any problem DF-ing in JP data center and my Japanese skill is almost zero.

BLCKATK

Speaking of Thordan, I've been working on the fight myself. I'm mainly MTing as PLD and I've OT'd as DRK a few times. Should I be super concerned about pushing damage while tanking? Just trying to make sure I'm contributing as much as possible in anyway during runs. When I'm MT I end Phase 1 hovering 770-800 DPS as PLD and when I've OT'd as DRK I was hitting around 970-990 at the end of Phase 1. The farthest I've made it in fight is up to the Phase 6 Conviction towers and my damage is looking around the 500 range at that point. Tanking wise I'm pretty I'm solid, I got my cooldown rotation all worked just really haven't found a time where I could push Sword Oath while tanking Thordan yet, but I'm not even sure if that is a requirement or something I should be looking to do yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question:

I currently have a NA account and I'm moving to Japan next year. What's the easiest way to go about paying my subscription?

I'm probably going to keep a Bank account and a credit card in the US linked to my brother's home so I guess I can keep it alive that way? But lets say that isn't an option. What other ways of paying other than sending my brother money to buy me time cards (which is more expensive than the base sub) do I have? My head is spinning trying to figure this out so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
I'm using my Japanese card to charge crysta on my European account, no problems so far.
You can also use paypal or even register your card directly, the region doesn't matter iirc.
Just remember that timecards and expansions are region locked.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say that Fates are the biggest annoyance I've ever experienced in a videogame. They are always happening in places when I'm trying to do levequests.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm worried they will overnerf it next patch, with current gear I don't think tuning is an issue anymore, and if you remove too much of the dance it'll just be boring. It's only floor I look forward to every week as is.

I wonder what part of the fight people have most issue with, if they monitor where people are wiping I assume they will focus on that area for nerfs.

Bad/clueless tanks can wipe that fight in no time and the DPS check is no joke even at this point. We had tryout tanks and they sometimes kept failing parting hands timing over and over because idk. The two in my clear have been clearing for a while so there was no issue with that.

I'm pretty happy though because being a BRD I get to LB3 in that fight for once! (On the 2nd cascade - bursting SMN can't be bothered)

ebil

I'm pretty happy though because being a BRD I get to LB3 in that fight for once! (On the 2nd cascade - bursting SMN can't be bothered)
Sagittarius Arrow looks so good I'm sometimes tempted to give up healing again for that BRD life.

Baleoce

Wii U pro controllers deadzone on the right stick got absolutely knackered through playing this game every day for the last 2 years lol.

Gonna try and make the switch to mouse/keyb now. Used to all the time in XI (well, keyboard anyway), but this is a lot more action orientated. Got a Logitech G600, but was also pondering getting a left handed keypad.

On that note though, it's kind of silly that you can't change the deadzones ingame independently. By that I mean, either the left or the right stick. It just has a universal option in gamepad settings. The camera sensitivity option that you see in character config is just that. Speed / Acceleration of camera movement, not deadzones. Seems like a big oversight. So basically when using my controller I have to either put up with wonky camera, or lots of alternating between running and walking due to whatever universal deadzone I set.

It would be fixed by either having separate deadzone toggles for left/right, or allowing you to disable walking on controller.

scy

Bad/clueless tanks can wipe that fight in no time and the DPS check is no joke even at this point.

I mean ... bad players make things hard, that seems pretty obvious there. The DPS check is only on point with slackers though. Based off FFlogs, we're only around 50-60 percentile on some of our clears and they still skip near an entire phase. A minute of breathing room isn't a tight check for a raid.

Feels like the bigger issue isn't that the check is too tight but poor DPS is too prevalent for whatever reasons. Think finding ways to improve that is a better alternative than making things strictly easier only.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Does anyone know if the Lightning Strikes event is returning? I missed out on the priors and I figured it would coincide with the PC release of Lightning Returns, but it seems that it isn't. I just want the glams :(

I have it and can help/in

Can help do it on my off nights which is Sunday and Monday. It all depends on what time you guys start.

I'm in. Have the minion already, but I'd like the healer loot for glamour.

...I tried checking the GAF XIV doc to get your in-game name, but it wasn't listed. I said long ago I don't know who half of you are in this thread when it comes to in-game names....

not joining, but let me know when y'all will be doing a Syrcus Tower run. Need that Onion Knight

If you want to get a list going for that, go ahead.

Edit:
Very nice website to have a look at PvP stats: https://xivpvp.com/

It filters out people who do less than 10 matches per week.

When I clicked the link...a certain person's name appeared in the search bar. Is...that you, Poci? You post on GAF?!?

Also the site is a bit botched. It counts both 2nd and 3rd as losses it appears, and it only shows my Adder rank as 38 when it's 40. So it's either behind in the indexing or still needs some work.

MyvTeddy

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Lightning Strikes event is returning? I missed out on the priors and I figured it would coincide with the PC release of Lightning Returns, but it seems that it isn't. I just want the glams :(

Doubt it. It would be be cool if the event make a return to celebrate the PC release. But then again, it's not a new title, its a port.

I haven't seen any collab event return and the events that do return are the seasonal ones at the mog station.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Doubt it. It would be be cool if the event make a return to celebrate the PC release. But then again, it's not a new title, its a port.

I haven't seen any collab event return and the events that do return are the seasonal ones at the mog station.
Bummer!
I see my lifetime Failstronk win rate is an impressive 29%.
8ZBtKHk.png

This is depressing. I think I need to go back to Flames. I get top heals, but it means nothing in the grand scheme :(

aceface

Actually I believe we may have already had the Lightning event 3 times now? At launch, at PS4 launch, and at the one year anniversary. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back again.

Isaccard

...I tried checking the GAF XIV doc to get your in-game name, but it wasn't listed. I said long ago I don't know who half of you are in this thread when it comes to in-game names....

If you want to get a list going for that, go ahead.

Edit:

When I clicked the link...a certain person's name appeared in the search bar. Is...that you, Poci? You post on GAF?!?

Also the site is a bit botched. It counts both 2nd and 3rd as losses it appears, and it only shows my Adder rank as 38 when it's 40. So it's either behind in the indexing or still needs some work.

Don't you know who I think I am?

Demoskinos

Finally got my Kirin mount last night. Pretty happy with that. Funny thing. My FC helped me with the last pony (Ifrit) and once we got a whistle drop I rolled a goddamn 99 on it.

Which made me laugh. The one time everyone was passing on the whistle and I roll a 99.

Welp my last week has been swallowed up by this game. Having a blast, and I don't know if it's the game's community or just the difference between paid and free mmos but my experience with other players has been good. Really helpful people errywhere.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ultros/GAF:

If you do not have your Puff of Darkness, I want to get 8 people together starting tonight to do 1 run of WoD a day (or as often as we can) to get all 8 of us the minion. Post a reply that you're in and I'll try to get this set up. Or if we have a full 24-person alliance, we can do that, too.

WoD Minion Group:
1. Korra
2. Kagari
3. Ty Gaara
4. Clipse Dudemeister
5. Ari Isacaguchi

I'm in (Victor Strange). Oh and pretty sure Caj is Caj Charlemagne.

I'm in (Victor Strange). Oh and pretty sure Caj is Caj Charlemagne.

Thanks for being understanding with my inability to connect GAF handles with XIV names.

Looks like we got 1 more spot, and again, some people are being nice and running even though they have the minion, so won't even be 8 runs. When I get on I'll try to invite people, I know one can only run Sunday/Monday, but maybe we get some other people their minion and then help them this weekend.

Sandfox

Thanks for being understanding with my inability to connect GAF handles with XIV names.

Looks like we got 1 more spot, and again, some people are being nice and running even though they have the minion, so won't even be 8 runs. When I get on I'll try to invite people, I know one can only run Sunday/Monday, but maybe we get some other people their minion and then help them this weekend.
What role do you need and what time will you guys be doing the run?

Top Bottom