• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

scy

What if the testers never beat A4S? D:

Keeping in mind they probably had access to all the food, pots, etc. they needed and wouldn't be surprised if they could request testing specific parts of the fight (e.g., Leg 4 on) or cooldown resets, I'd see them getting it eventually in testing.

I'm more interested in knowing if they really though that was a good, solid fight and a great way to end the tier.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Nisi also effectively prevents healers from doing any reasonable DPS after it's cast if you're at all intending to keep it through every pentacle.

I don't think they actually test the fights in real conditions. They probably just godmode it to see if scripts actually work as intended, but I just don't see them sitting down and clearing the fight as a player would.

As for overgearing, while it's true that the fight is gonna be hella easier in Alexander 2 NM gear, by that point who's even gonna do it? There's probably gonna be i220 primal weapons or something to that effect and that'll be gg for Savage.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
*Yoship sits alone in his office in the middle of the night reviewing the data of all the failed clear attempts by the testers*

"This will teach them for calling final coil baby mode content"

*leans back in his chair as he lights his cigarette*

"keikaku doori"

In the end they created a fight that's not very fun for the last one in the tier. T5/T9/T13 were infinitely superior when it comes to actually wanting to get in there and learn/clear the fight.

Sorian

Banned
Nisi also effectively prevents healers from doing any reasonable DPS after it's cast if you're at all intending to keep it through every pentacle.

I don't think they actually test the fights in real conditions. They probably just godmode it to see if scripts actually work as intended, but I just don't see them sitting down and clearing the fight as a player would.

As for overgearing, while it's true that the fight is gonna be hella easier in Alexander 2 NM gear, by that point who's even gonna do it? There's probably gonna be i220 primal weapons or something to that effect and that'll be gg for Savage.

A4S required to do Second Alex Normal.

GG everyone, watch those sub numbers plummet.

Sorian

Banned
I can't see them doing that... maybe.

I would hope they wouldn't be that stupid and they've already prepped everyone by saying something even bigger (4.0 story) will not be gated behind earlier stuff.

But, well, you know how it is, gotta assume the worst.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I would hope they wouldn't be that stupid and they've already prepped everyone by saying something even bigger (4.0 story) will not be gated behind earlier stuff.

But, well, you know how it is, gotta assume the worst.

No busydeals for the wicked.

Ken

No the song was originally for Bismark but Koji wrote new lyrics when they switched it to Alexander.

Really? I thought they mentioned to not try making sense of the lyrics in the context of Alexander because they didn't write new lyrics.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Really? I thought they mentioned to not try making sense of the lyrics in the context of Alexander because they didn't write new lyrics.

No, the lyrics were new, but Koji-Fox just didn't put much into it because they had to redo it a couple of times already.

how much do i have to pay in real $$$ to get that to happen?

Almost as much as you'd pay for a new 3DS (original modesl, not the recently released "New 3DS" models...

A certain site spammed on Ultros all the f-ing time, prices for Gilga:
BtWCZ3G.png

One of GameStop's few "new" listings for the older 3DS XL model (not new 3DS):
h3DBnME.png

Demoskinos

Are those PSN avatars up on the European market place? I've seen a few people on my friends list have them. Still nothing on the North American store. >_<

Tabris

SE has made "impossible" content before in MMOs.

I don't mind a game like this having "impossible" content when there's more content and that impossible content is worth going back to when it becomes more possible via gear or new strats in later patches.

It's neat having a boss that barely anyone has cleared, except the issue is that boss (or bosses for A3S-A4S) is the only thing to do in the game for a raider.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I don't mind a game like this having "impossible" content when there's more content and that impossible content is worth going back to when it becomes more possible via gear or new strats in later patches.

It's neat having a boss that barely anyone has cleared, except the issue is that boss (or bosses for A3S-A4S) is the only thing to do in the game for a raider.

294x294px-a0823f7c_Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpeg

I am so excited to get back into the game, have been reading up a bunch of patch histories and "what have I missed" guides. I haven't played in almost a year after all! For now I will only get to play for the free login thing since I am going to Germany for the rest of the month, but is there space in the FC for when I return in January? Because I will pay the server transfer fee.

Sorian

Banned
Oh man, the patch was on Wednesday, not Tuesday?

I requested the wrong day off from work cause the link was blocked. Oops!

They've done it again, It's impossible to log in and enjoy.

Alric

Almost as much as you'd pay for a new 3DS (original modesl, not the recently released "New 3DS" models...

A certain site spammed on Ultros all the f-ing time, prices for Gilga:
BtWCZ3G.png

One of GameStop's few "new" listings for the older 3DS XL model (not new 3DS):
h3DBnME.png

Shit, I always see them spam on Ultros and thought "50000, maybe they mean 50 million or 5 million". Do people really pay $100+ for 50k gil?

Omni

Shit, I always see them spam on Ultros and thought "50000, maybe they mean 50 million or 5 million". Do people really pay $100+ for 50k gil?

Surely it's not 50k... You can make that in like two hours by doing roulettes. Let alone crafting or whatever else

edit. Oh I didn't see the K after 50,000. That makes more sense, I guess :p

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
A4S required to do Second Alex Normal.

GG everyone, watch those sub numbers plummet.

I'm assuming you all formed a party to go on a raid. I'm assuming the word 'static' stand for a group of people who regularly come together and do raids. When does the game let you form your own static?

Valor

I'm assuming you all formed a party to go on a raid. I'm assuming the word 'static' stand for a group of people who regularly come together and do raids. When does the game let you form your own static?

It's more of a meta concept than an in game one if you're thinking it's as such. Typically you only need to form a static for end game content since it is locked on a once-per-week basis in terms of loot and clears, so the same people will run together to clear the content.

This is possible. I also assume they give a rudimentary amount of damage they expect each class to output and then tune HP numbers to meet certain theoretical dps checks. That would explain why people struggled mightily to clear A3S early on since the numbers were tuned far too high than what they were capable of doing at the time. It took a couple of pieces of gear to finally get to that number.

I assume they'll give those numbers a bit more slack going forward since now they know the playerbase is nowhere near their expectations for the classes.

scy

This is possible. I also assume they give a rudimentary amount of damage they expect each class to output and then tune HP numbers to meet certain theoretical dps checks. That would explain why people struggled mightily to clear A3S early on since the numbers were tuned far too high than what they were capable of doing at the time. It took a couple of pieces of gear to finally get to that number.

The first A3S clear came ahead of their proposed schedule, not behind it. A4S came around when they expected with respect to A3S.

iammeiam

I assume they'll give those numbers a bit more slack going forward since now they know the playerbase is nowhere near their expectations for the classes.

This narrative bothers me, because it ignores what shows up in most progression streams and what based on Yoshi P's actual A3S advice around 3.1 is really happening: The number of groups that can successfully execute A3S mechanics to see enrage but absolutely cannot meet the DPS requirement to clear is pretty much dwarfed by the number of groups that just cannot do the mechanics consistently enough to survive. Adds wipes aren't a DPS throughput issue. Doubling Sluice and Protean or mispassing Digititis or having HP hit zero during Splashes isn't a DPS issue.

If next tier just lowers the DPS side of things and introduces four fights with A3S approach to mechanics, I will be thrilled because I love that fight, but people that are still wiping pre-enrage will be brick walled again and we'll end up in the same situation. It's why it bugs me that people misinterpret "Guys A3S isn't THAT BAD" as an elitist thing. It's not; far more people are capable of pushing the damage required to clear it than are clearing it, it's just the planning that seems to be tripping people up.

I thought the new relic was further off, didn't know it was so soon. What do we know about the catch up mechanic? I was trying to do it now because of the nerfs and because I think the Excalibur looks amazing

Also I saw someone mention that we might need eso for it the new relic. Did the old relics ever require the higher level tomestone? That seems like itd really suck

Ken

I thought the new relic was further off, didn't know it was so soon. What do we know about the catch up mechanic? I was trying to do it now because of the nerfs and because I think the Excalibur looks amazing

Also I saw someone mention that we might need eso for it the new relic. Did the old relics ever require the higher level tomestone? That seems like itd really suck

The step of actually getting the relic and the first upgrade came together at launch. To upgrade the original relic you needed 900 myth tomestones for an upgrade item (zenith) while people were using it to buy myth gear, the original artifact armor. After that, I believe it always then used the "old" tomestones.

The catch up mechanics of the Zodiac Braves stuff? Off the top of my head:

All RNG drops have significant buffs to drop rate. In the case of the dungeon drops, it's now guaranteed.
Light is now 8x their original values, and a bunch of stuff have moved up a tier in light.
You can do everything unsynced.
All the tomestone items including map exchange are cheaper. Alexandrite maps yield 5 a map.
Books were slightly nerfed in the enemies needed section. Still the worst part though.
All the items and mats needed to be bought with gil still held their price. Rip.

The step of actually getting the relic and the first upgrade came together at launch. To upgrade the original relic you needed 900 myth tomestones for an upgrade item (zenith) while people were using it to buy myth gear, the original artifact armor. After that, I believe it always then used the "old" tomestones.

The catch up mechanics of the Zodiac Braves stuff? Off the top of my head:

All RNG drops have significant buffs to drop rate. In the case of the dungeon drops, it's now guaranteed.
Light is now 8x their original values, and a bunch of stuff have moved up a tier in light.
You can do everything unsynced.
All the tomestone items including map exchange are cheaper. Alexandrite maps yield 5 a map.
Books were slightly nerfed in the enemies needed section. Still the worst part though.
All the items and mats needed to be bought with gil still held their price. Rip.
I meant more about what does having a zeta get you in the new relic

Also do the maps give 5 Alex for sure or just up to five? And would giving my reliv garbage materia have any effect on the new one?

Top Bottom