• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

Okay. Thordan is really starting to annoy me. I can't seem to get a clear. I've trying to beat it on my White Mage since it's my highest geared job at i204, so I'm starting to think that I'm the main problem since people drop off towards the end. I dunno because I also feel like I more or less understand the fight at this point (bit at the end is still funky though). I recorded a run I did earlier which goes for about 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnsiWM1-Uc

Is there anything I'm doing terribly wrong? Should I DPS more? That's something I haven't really been doing all that much

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Okay. Thordan is really starting to annoy me. I can't seem to get a clear. I've trying to beat it on my White Mage since it's my highest geared job at i204, so I'm starting to think that I'm the main problem since people drop off towards the end. I dunno because I also feel like I more or less understand the fight at this point (bit at the end is still funky though). I recorded a run I did earlier which goes for about 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnsiWM1-Uc

Is there anything I'm doing terribly wrong? Should I DPS more? That's something I haven't really been doing all that much

More dps isn't going to really fix what happened there. I guess in order of deaths, JJ killed the sch, Hibiki died because he was marked for comets and then ran into an ice aoe, and then Vin just died from not being topped off to ancient quaga.

The last death was a little on you, but you were also down a healer. You did cure II > cure II when you really needed to be topping the raid off for that quaga. Also for the aoe spam phase, you really want to drop medica 1 for cure 3, especially when you're down a healer. Cure 3 looks more expensive up front, but it's more mp efficient and gcd efficient than two medica 1's. Granted, even keeping everyone that was still alive up wouldn't have saved that run. (Also your hotbars confuse me. Why is sprint on an emote bar D:)

If I had to place the blame, whichever melee killed the sch pretty much wiped that run.

Ken

Starlight Celebration 2015!

Event Schedule
From Friday, December 18, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. to Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:59 a.m. (PST)

How to Participate
A reporter for the Harbor Herald has been inquiring about this year's celebration and suspects something is amiss. Fearing the planning committee has struck a sour note in their preparations, she seeks an adventurer to set right their plans of Starlight merriment.
* Please note that seasonal quests cannot be completed after the event has concluded.

For Whom the Starlight Bell Tolls
Quest Location: Limsa Lominsa, Upper Decks - Collys

Omni

More dps isn't going to really fix what happened there. I guess in order of deaths, JJ killed the sch, Hibiki died because he was marked for comets and then ran into an ice aoe, and then Vin just died from not being topped off to ancient quaga.

The last death was a little on you, but you were also down a healer. You did cure II > cure II when you really needed to be topping the raid off for that quaga. Also for the aoe spam phase, you really want to drop medica 1 for cure 3, especially when you're down a healer. Cure 3 looks more expensive up front, but it's more mp efficient and gcd efficient than two medica 1's. Granted, even keeping everyone that was still alive up wouldn't have saved that run. (Also your hotbars confuse me. Why is sprint on an emote bar D:)

If I had to place the blame, whichever melee killed the sch pretty much wiped that run.
Watching the video myself, Vin's death was totally on me. I had his name selected before quaga, but for some reason went back to the tank and cast a Cure II when he really didn't need it. Didn't even realise! Just gotta be more careful next time.

I considered using Cure III at the end there, I was just afraid of the MP costs especially since our other healer was out and SoS/Assize weren't up yet. But I can see your point! Next time I'll throw a Medica II for regen and then use the Cure III instead of Medica I. Knew it was over the moment the tethered Knight appeared though, so that's why I stopped healing and just went into cleric for desperate DPS :p. Thank you for the tips!

Sprint is on my emote hotbar (number 3) because my first two are already full up with skills I think are more important. It's still easy to get to though, so I've never had any trouble there. Is that all that bothers you? I'm constantly making adjustments o:

Sandfox

Starlight Celebration 2015!

Event Schedule
From Friday, December 18, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. to Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:59 a.m. (PST)

How to Participate
A reporter for the Harbor Herald has been inquiring about this year's celebration and suspects something is amiss. Fearing the planning committee has struck a sour note in their preparations, she seeks an adventurer to set right their plans of Starlight merriment.
* Please note that seasonal quests cannot be completed after the event has concluded.

For Whom the Starlight Bell Tolls
Quest Location: Limsa Lominsa, Upper Decks - Collys

I want that hood in the art.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So wait...the Maintenance didn't add patch 3.15 yet?

Yeah you're right for some reason I was under the impression it was done last night instead of tonight.

Everyone kept saying patch day is Tuesday, when that's incorrect. I believe this is the first time in a long time that something other than emergency maintenance is dropping on a day other than Tuesday.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Everyone kept saying patch day is Tuesday, when that's incorrect. I believe this is the first time in a long time that something other than emergency maintenance is dropping on a day other than Tuesday.
Force of habit I guess but since there's no Patch Preview up on the blog than I'm guessing this Maintenance is not even adding Patch 3.15?

I been waiting for my new Relic Weapon for 8 Weeks now and I'm tire of waiting for it (1 month break they took plus the 1 month delay after releasing 3.1).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The reason for Wednesday patch is that there's some changes to the Virminion which resets on Wednesday.

aceface

Force of habit I guess but since there's no Patch Preview up on the blog than I'm guessing this Maintenance is not even adding Patch 3.15?

I been waiting for my new Relic Weapon for 8 Weeks now and I'm tire of waiting for it (1 month break they took plus the 1 month delay after releasing 3.1).

Yes, it's adding the patch.
Previews for 3.15 are here and here.

Omni

Forcing myself to play 10 or whatever games of LoV for the Gold Saucer challenge log almost made me want to unsub. What a clunky game with a controller. Awful.

But dammit I want that Gold Dance. 55k more MGP to go ;_;

So... does anyone think WAR might get a nerf soon? I kind of hope not, but I can see the complaints why.

I'm deciding on a tank class and it's a toss up between DRK and WAR. On my server, I see a bunch of WAR running around, DRK has kind of fallen down a bit. PLD is too boring for me, though it's the easier to master of the three.

WAR seems to be in this nirvana of being able to self heal and do crazy high DPS as well as hold mass amounts of hate. It's very tempting to take up, but experience tells me the moment I level up the "flavor of the month" SquareEnix is going lay the nerf smackdown and take it down a notch to where healers will absolutely hate healing them like before.

DRK just looks cool, but seems very confusing after many videos watching. It looks like something I could get into.

One more thing, tanks are stacking STR now? I'm talking STR points as you level on top of STR accessories or is this a post 60 thing. I made the mistake way back when ARR was in Beta putting points in STR. While I could hold hate decent I couldn't last long due to having lower HP. I'd assume a mix of VIT and STR points would be decent, while having all left gear be focusing on VIT and right side a mix of VIT and STR. I'm seeing tanks go full STR now.

Tiops

Anyone here plays DRG on controller and has a functional and organized cross-bar that could share? I had one until yesterday, then I unlocked Blood of the Dragon and Sharp Fang, so everything is ruined.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
One more thing, tanks are stacking STR now? I'm talking STR points as you level on top of STR accessories or is this a post 60 thing. I made the mistake way back when ARR was in Beta putting points in STR. While I could hold hate decent I couldn't last long due to having lower HP. I'd assume a mix of VIT and STR points would be decent, while having all left gear be focusing on VIT and right side a mix of VIT and STR. I'm seeing tanks go full STR now.

Tanks have always been stacking STR. VIT does absolutely nothing to your defense, it only increases your HP. All the VIT beyond what you need to survive a certain amount of damage per second is extraneous. If you're dying, either you're not correctly utilizing your defensive cooldowns, or the healer is bad, or your gear is outdated. Let's say you have 16000 HP, you start receiving about 3k damage per GCD. The healer should be able to do 3k healing per GCD under such circumstances. You can reduce the incoming damage by using your cooldowns. However, simply adding more HP won't decrease the amount of incoming damage, it will just let you last a bit more without healing. But why would you be without healing, you should be getting healed. And so on. There is currently absolutely zero reason to avoid STR as a tank as your enmity scales off it, your DPS scales off it, even your abilities that don't do damage such as Equilibrium, Clemency, Flash scale off STR.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
How common would you say it is for using voice chat when doing end-game dungeons/stuff?

The dungeons, not even remotely.

Extreme Primals, you don't have to but I imagine some pfs for Thordan might ask for it?

Savage Alex, pretty common- You can do A1 and 2 without it but people usually don't.

WolvenOne

Just a reminder that people should hold onto their Farthings, until after the patch. It's possible that they might be adding the weapon upgrade item to the Vender.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Implying that knowing about ZR is shameful, don't even pretend

Don't lie. You popped back in here just to answer that.

Kayos pls

In other news healing on Throdan EX still sucks. I've come to the realization that it feels like I'm not either not healing smart enough during holy bladedance or the tanks I'm dealing with aren't CDing wisely because it seems like most tanks during this use their IMMORTAL skill rather than regular CDs during the first holy baldedance.

ZR is a term coined for something that I find very lecherous and perverted. So yes. I'm ashamed I even know that term. T_T

Arkeband

Banned
I'm surprised there aren't official patch notes up by now. Is an intermediary patch (with a number like 3.15) really just a Hildibrand quest chain and a Relic quest chain? No QOL changes, tweaks to content, class buffs/nerfs, etc?

Gimme something to read, S-E!

Sorian

Banned
I'm surprised there aren't official patch notes up by now. Is an intermediary patch (with a number like 3.15) really just a Hildibrand quest chain and a Relic quest chain? No QOL changes, tweaks to content, class buffs/nerfs, etc?

Gimme something to read, S-E!

They probably won't give it up early. The relic probably involves some items and Yoshi doesn't like people messing up the markets before it is live.

IvorB

Am I a fool for hoping that the new relic might be something a bit more exciting than just another weapon like every other in the game?

iammeiam

Am I a fool for hoping that the new relic might be something a bit more exciting than just another weapon like every other in the game?

Based on how 3.0 has gone so far... Probably? I'm expecting a copy-paste of the ARR relics with the content swapped out.

Would be totally thrilled to be wrong though.

studyguy

Last few weeks have basically been logging in capping something, logging off.
Most of my back up FC and LS are way way slow at the moment.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Anyone here plays DRG on controller and has a functional and organized cross-bar that could share? I had one until yesterday, then I unlocked Blood of the Dragon and Sharp Fang, so everything is ruined.
OcGGkce.jpg

Bn8UPIg.jpg

qNOrYTz.jpg

Ze8npVO.jpg

I hope it helps (though I should place Foresight parallel to bloodbath). Also while on the discussion of WHM crossbars:

tfqNWnQ.jpg

UQjv4kn.jpg

3ZVcKDl.jpg

j91MJH4.jpg

I only use 3 cross class skills (Eye For Eye, Swiftcast and Virus) because the others don't seem worthwhile and I dumped Stone II alongside having Regen twice because I don't like empty spaces.

Arkeband

Banned

The most they've been willing to do with relics was letting us "choose" stats. I can't imagine it'd be anything more than that.

It'd be cool if they let us choose an indirect combat ability to "buff", like "allows your Invigorate to restore 50 more TP" or something that would be a negligible loss when upgrading/sidegrading the relic, but actually makes the weapon feel unique.

The game desperately needs more interesting gear choices for 4.0, it cannot possibly continue this +main stat thing forever and continue to grow.

Sifl

How do you handle the Jumps cooldowns? If I set them on the extended bars I'm really going to forget about them.
I put my buffs on the cross hotbar, you can try that. Also you don't have to hold l2+R2 to see when the skills are ready, you can put them on 1 of normal hotbars to check on them.

Jayhawk

This game is how I get keys to closed betas to play with others on Mumble. By the way, anybody have spare keys to the upcoming Black Desert closed beta or is planning on playing? I would like to play with some others.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How do you handle the Jumps cooldowns? If I set them on the extended bars I'm really going to forget about them.
Habit mostly, I used to have a Hotbar off on the side for cooldowns, but I noticed that I ignored it and so I just made a habit of checking up on them and getting the timing down.

For example: Jump, Spineshatter Dive and Dragonfire Dive are 30, 60 and 120 seconds respectively. I know that if I pop Power Surge which has a 60 second cooldown and use it on Jump for example that I'll have another Jump ready 30 seconds before Power Surge is back up again. Or if I use Spineshatter Dive, then they'll both be back up at the same time with a minor second difference. I also know that if I've popped Power Surge twice then Dragonfire Dive is back up.

WolvenOne

So... does anyone think WAR might get a nerf soon? I kind of hope not, but I can see the complaints why.

Probably not, the devs have historically been pretty reluctant to nerf classes, and when they have they've generally been a bit on the soft side. Generally they're been more inclined to buff other classes.

Besides, for MT, War and DRK are reasonably close DPS wise. WAR is better OT and DRK is a slightly better MT. The class that's essentially the odd-man out at the moment is Paladin, and I rather doubt they'll nerf the other two classes just to make Paladin more viable.

Sorian

Banned
Probably not, the devs have historically been pretty reluctant to nerf classes, and when they have they've generally been a bit on the soft side. Generally they're been more inclined to buff other classes.

This isn't true in the least? They've been pretty much willing to nerf and buff at the drop of a hat.

Off the top of my head, the damage nerfs to ninja and defense nerfs to black mage come to mind pretty quickly.

WolvenOne

This isn't true in the least? They've been pretty much willing to nerf and buff at the drop of a hat.

Off the top of my head, the damage nerfs to ninja and defense nerfs to black mage come to mind pretty quickly.

You mean when Ninja was first introduced? That was mostly a TP cost change, with a relatively light DPS nerf on the side. Thier damage output didn't change THAT dramatically, and they mostly buffed DRG to be on par.

As for BLM defense nerfs, that was a change made in 3.0 right? If I remember correctly, a couple defense moves for multiple classes were changed, because they would've been kinda OP at level 60, that seems to be the rationale the devs used. Considering that was the start of a new expansion though, that sort of rebalancing is to be expected.

Sorian

Banned
You mean when Ninja was first introduced? That was mostly a TP cost change, with a relatively light DPS nerf on the side. Thier damage output didn't change THAT dramatically, and they mostly buffed DRG to be on par.

As for BLM defense nerfs, that was a change made in 3.0 right? If I remember correctly, a couple defense moves for multiple classes were changed, because they would've been kinda OP at level 60, that seems to be the rationale the devs used. Considering that was the start of a new expansion though, that sort of rebalancing is to be expected.

Also the nerfs to aoe damage on spells like flare and holy.

Not reluctant to nerf classes at all if that's what they feel like doing.

Top Bottom