• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

There's something still wrong with AST?

I'm levelling it now and it seems fine. In fact I'm kinda enjoying it more than my WHM even. Suppose I'm only a level 41 though, so I'm probably missing something. Yeah, you don't have divine seal or benediction or arcanist cross class skills, but the cards seem pretty powerful on their own. And then you have the different stances //shrug

Nohar

It seems that most think that a WHM+SCH duo will remain more interesting that AST+Whatever. I don't play AST and I'm not knowledgeable enough about the job to judge. I found this Reddit post which sums up most of the (perceived) problems of the job at the moment, mainly:
  • GCD management
  • MP Management
  • Doesn't heal as well as other healers without wasting MP/GCD
Now, once again, I'm not knowledgeable enough, and it would be interesting to hear more from AST players. But in short, it seems to be that "Everything AST does, whm/sch does better".

Omni

It seems that most think that a WHM+SCH duo will remain more interesting that AST+Whatever. I don't play AST and I'm not knowledgeable enough about the job to judge. I found this Reddit post which sums up most of the (perceived) problems of the job at the moment, mainly:
  • GCD management
  • MP Management
Now, once again, I'm not knowledgeable enough, and it would be interesting to hear more from AST players. But in short, it seems to be that "Everything AST does, whm/sch does better".
Had a quick glance at the thread. Maybe I'm just in the minority here, but I don't think AST should be as good or better than WHM/SCH in either of the two stances. Isn't one of the main draws of the job that it can do both, but maybe not as well? Jack of all trades, master of none. I mean, it's not like it's terrible any more. And then on top of it you have the cards that both WHM and SCH don't really have an answer for. I feel like the buffs mentioned would make the other healers redundant.

buuut I'm kinda just rambling now :p

• GCD management
  • MP Management
I'll speak as someone maining ASTs right now and also plays the other healing classes:

ASTs cannot be as good at raw healing as WHMs or as good at shielding as SCHs because in combination with AST's other tools would they overshine those classes. I mean that's the entire reason ASTs were so underpowered when they first released because devs were scared and held back. Took them a bit to realize that only lead to the detriment of the class which is why ASTs received so many buffs afterward.

ASTs can work just fine with a WHM or SCH as their co-healer the AST just has to adjust their playstyle a bit.

EDIT: Oh and the main post is full of so much insanity I just had to laugh at it. Synastry is very good but shit? Reddit pls.

ebil

AST is alright and capable of doing every piece of content currently available just fine but AST+whatever cannot by design yield as much consistent raid DPS as WHM+SCH, and this is at the expense of some safety. AST is just very constrained by the GCD when it comes to healing, again by design. Nocturnal AST is much further behind SCH than Diurnal is from WHM in terms of healing, mitigation potential and practical raid DPS contribution.

All of this because of a Card buff mechanic that is random and may or may not yield indirect DPS. For that reason, AST isn't usually favored for progression where consistency is key. This is Miunih's (A4s world first) point in that post by the way, even though I don't agree with their proposed changes.

I love AST (best job aesthetics, fun theme) and I think it's one update away from being on par for progression but right now I cannot justify bringing it for more difficult content vs SCH or WHM.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It seems that most think that a WHM+SCH duo will remain more interesting that AST+Whatever. I don't play AST and I'm not knowledgeable enough about the job to judge. I found this Reddit post which sums up most of the (perceived) problems of the job at the moment, mainly:[/I]

You wouldn't expect the World 1st AS4 WHM to be such a dumbass but...

IvorB

So, I was wondering: what are your favorite Heavensward jobs? I'm hearing that the Warrior is becoming a very interesting Tank job (I used to play PLD in 2.0... and, frankly, I found the job to be boring to play). I decided to forgo SCH, since it is a little difficult to master (and, well, I main SMN now), so I'm interested by WHM and AST (but, sadly, it seems that AST isn't quite tuned yet from what I've read - best looking LB3 though).

Well, my favourite is the black mage which is widely known to be the best job in the game. Second favourite at the moment is dragoon which I really enjoy and I'm now learning to play at 60. I feel dragoon at 60 is quite tricky and I like that. I have summoner at 58 and I kind of enjoy it but I'm a little bit unsure. Will definitely finish levelling it though. I definitely enjoy AOE'ing with summoner more than any other class. Started levelling machinist but found it a bit dry animation-wise so I've switched to levelling ninja and really enjoying it so far. Bard used to be my second favourite but not any more :-(. Sometimes I play bard if I have to do level 50 synched content so I can relive the good old days.

ebil

Well, turns out Vanu rank 8 is garbage and a complete waste of time (aside from easy xp, maybe) in case anyone wondered.

Sorian

Banned
Well, turns out Vanu rank 8 is garbage and a complete waste of time (aside from easy xp, maybe) in case anyone wondered.

You'll need rank 8 to do the joint quest between all the new beast tribes once they are all released. I don't think anyone expected any different.

ebil

You'll need rank 8 to do the joint quest between all the new beast tribes once they are all released. I don't think anyone expected any different.
I know and I didn't expect anything amazing. It just felt particularly unrewarding and rushed for something that took so long to max out. Hopefully that joint quest (if it even exists) will be as good as the one from 2.0 because I really enjoyed it.

Well, my favourite is the black mage which is widely known to be the best job in the game. Second favourite at the moment is dragoon which I really enjoy and I'm now learning to play at 60. I feel dragoon at 60 is quite tricky and I like that. I have summoner at 58 and I kind of enjoy it but I'm a little bit unsure. Will definitely finish levelling it though. I definitely enjoy AOE'ing with summoner more than any other class. Started levelling machinist but found it a bit dry animation-wise so I've switched to levelling ninja and really enjoying it so far. Bard used to be my second favourite but not any more :-(. Sometimes I play bard if I have to do level 50 synched content so I can relive the good old days.

I really like how much they've improved SMN's AOE. Uncapping Bane was one of the best changes to come with Heavensward, and it goes without saying that Painflare and Deathflare are very welcome additions to the kit. I feel like BLM and SMN are better differentiated now given the respective emphasis of their evolutions in HW.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It will get worse. Tedium is the MMO bread and butter. Ideally you find a good enough group of people you like playing with that ends up making the tedium worth it, until you reach the tipping point and drop the game. Such is the MMO life cycle.

Good news is, at least in this game's case, a lot of the good stuff is in the middle rather than the beginning so it will get better as more things open up
before it gets worse when you enter the "been there, done that" stage
. It can be a bit of a slog until then, especially combat wise depending on what you are playing as, they did not really balance skill acquisition well so some classes are very boring until closer to cap and important skills/mechanics are introduced.

I'll give it a few more months. I just bought a 90 day extension. So we'll see how it goes. I still haven't gotten to the stage where I choose my job. So I'm hoping being a bard will change my outlook.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is it possible to still get gear that used to use Soldiery Tomes? I am trying to get "Weathered Evenstar Tights", but the NPC is Mor Dhona (Auriana) doesn't seem to sell them. Can't seem to find anything current on a google search.

Is it possible to still get gear that used to use Soldiery Tomes? I am trying to get "Weathered Evenstar Tights", but the NPC is Mor Dhona (Auriana) doesn't seem to sell them. Can't seem to find anything current on a google search.

You buy them with Allied Seals now at your chosen Grand Company's Hunt Billmaster.

Jobbs

Banned
Beginner questions!

I logged into this game for the first time in a while and went on my level 27 conjurer (playing Xenoblade actually made me curious to try FF14 again -- that game is so MMO like, I figured why not just play an actual MMO?).

I remember doing duty roulette, so I looked at it, and noticed I can only pick from three dungeons, all of which are more than 10 levels lower than me. So I looked at some level-appropriate zones of the map and went to their dungeons, and was unable to gain entrance. I assume there are quests involved to unlock new dungeons, but it's been so long I just don't remember.

Also.. At level 27 I still don't have a mount and have no idea how to get it.

suzu

Beginner questions!

I logged into this game for the first time in a while and went on my level 27 conjurer (playing Xenoblade actually made me curious to try FF14 again -- that game is so MMO like, I figured why not just play an actual MMO?).

I remember doing duty roulette, so I looked at it, and noticed I can only pick from three dungeons, all of which are more than 10 levels lower than me. So I looked at some level-appropriate zones of the map and went to their dungeons, and was unable to gain entrance. I assume there are quests involved to unlock new dungeons, but it's been so long I just don't remember.

Also.. At level 27 I still don't have a mount and have on idea how to get it.

40px-Mainquest1_Icon.png

Do all your main scenario/story quests.
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

suzu

oh, duh. my bad. I am lagged behind on these quests because generally how I like to play is logging in and healing for a dungeon group. Makes things quick and bite sized.

Yup, it's easy to breeze pass those story quests level-wise. Also, don't forget to keep up with your class/job quests.

Squishy3

Yeah, the ideal point to get Heavensward would be at level 50 and finish the ARR story, as you keep earning experience and the level 50 dungeons now give EXP, so you probably won't end up hitting any of the level walls that prevent you from continuing the main scenario in HW.

Sora_N

One other question.. Is there any benefit to or reason for getting Heavensward if you're still low/mid level?

I bought HW when it came out just for Au Ra...and also cuz I didn't know exactly how much content ARR is. It's a lot.

It took me a month a and half just to clear all the way to HW finishing up ARR.

I'd say just wait.

Not related but I got to HW last night and finally got to try DRK. It's pretty fun but I barely played tank so it's pretty challenging for that reason. I haven't died yet but it always feels really close lol.

RPGCrazied

So, apparently the Anima(relic) weapons is coming on the 16th? Please tell me this isn't going to require heavenward, I still don't have it.

DarkKyo

So, apparently the Anima(relic) weapons is coming on the 16th? Please tell me this isn't going to require heavenward, I still don't have it.

I can pretty much guarantee it will require Heavensward since the anima weapons will only be equipable by level 60s. Where are you in the game? Perpetually at level 50?

RPGCrazied

I can pretty much guarantee it will require Heavensward since the anima weapons will only be equipable by level 60s. Where are you in the game? Perpetually at level 50?

Oh that is a bummer. Yeah, I'm a level 50. Was hoping something that can be started by a level 50. I stopped doing quests, cause I heard when you get heavenward, you unlock the EXP gain, and can get EXP no matter where you are.

Sifl

Possibly stupid question, if my FF14 disc for PS4 breaks can I just buy a new one and use that? I seem to remember needing to register a code with my copy, so does that mean if the original disc breaks im fucked?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The next raid tier can't come soon enough.
I want the glams though.
I feel like A3 and 4 could be really good with certain polish.
This also exposed weakness in my bard play... It's kinda frustrating actually.
This is cool experience for progression even if next tier is easier.

Sandfox

What if the next raid tier is even worse? I want to see what their response is because they certainly haven't been doing anything to fix the current tier.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I want the glams though.
I feel like A3 and 4 could be really good with certain polish.
This also exposed weakness in my bard play... It's kinda frustrating actually.
This is cool experience for progression even if next tier is easier.

Gordian gear is p ugly so I'm not too stressed about getting the chest piece. Need that weapon tho.

iammeiam

Your pot was up too, rip.

Yup. We went through and listed mistakes, of which I had many. The nice part is knowing we have the damage if we can git gud enough to not fuck up for a complete run. Rin's is just funny because red numbers. And also robots should be infallible.

Beats our first enrage when I flat out missed on last sac and required the death of an extra DPS, though. I'm getting better!

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV Celebrating the Holidays in Eorzea

Red nose and fake white beard. Also indoor xmas tree. :eek:

I hope they do something similar to last year's where you had to visit houses with trees out to get the items.

Also troll gift bags with 500 gil.

Possibly stupid question, if my FF14 disc for PS4 breaks can I just buy a new one and use that? I seem to remember needing to register a code with my copy, so does that mean if the original disc breaks im fucked?

AFAIK discs all get pressed with the same exact game. You should be fine; you'll just awkwardly have an extra PS4 "CD key" that you could give to someone with a disc and no key lol.

Top Bottom