• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finally got my Ironworks weapon for my SCH and upgraded it! SCH is now ilvl 123, WHM 120, PLD 102 and SMN 100. Glad to have a role ready for most content people in my FC need help with now.

Nohar

Thanks! It was my 4th try in total. I trained a little Monday with guildmates (and did some mistakes in P3 and 4), and it went smoothly yesterday. Once you understand the mecanics and have a good leader on TS, it is relatively simple.

I'm trying to learn how to become a good Ninja, but the server delay is making it impossible to chain attacks perfectly (I'm nowhere near this guy perfect execution at 19:24). I'm getting a VPN to see if I manage to do better.

BadRNG

Guys after reading a few "I'm done with WoW and wanna try something new" threads I noticed so much talk about FF XIV that it is hard to ignore it :p

So I got interested and really wanna give it a shot. I would ofc love to be a part of GAF club and all so I have a few questions before I plunge in:

1. How is ping/lag on Ultros server for EU folks? Are there any EU servers currently?
2. Is this game as grind heavy as I've read FFXI was?
3. Is PvP any good? (not arena type but more of Battlegrounds type)
4. How is community? Compared to todays WoW I mean. Nobody talks with anybody and just minds their own business.

Any interesting stuff that is different/new coming from wow?

Thanks guys
1. Not EU, but know many and they seem ok on Ultros usually. It can get bad but it can get bad for everyone at times, though most of the severe lag issues have been fixed by now. There are EU servers technically, but the data center is still in NA as far as I know, so it's not a huge difference either way lag wise. Mostly a play time schedule thing.
2. No. There are grinds but it is nothing on the level of FFXI.
3. No, on both arena and battleground fronts. It's a horribly imbalanced mess, the developers clearly either do not care or don't know what they are doing, and the queues are absolutely terrible to the point a lot of people just do not bother with it anymore. There is no world PvP either. If PvP is a major part of what you get out of MMOs then this is definitely not a game I could recommend.
4. Probably varies by server, but everyone minding their own business except for FC(guilds) or linkshells(essentially large private chats) or pointless global chat arguments is not really uncommon. I have not played WoW since around Cata, but unless the community has changed drastically I'd say they are pretty comparable. Which means if you want to get anywhere near an ideal playing experience you got to find a decent guild or group of friends. I hear those GAF guild guys are pretty cool.

I think the major difference, and the one thing that has really kept me playing despite the game's many flaws, is the class system. You can be every job on a single character; every battle, every crafter, every gathering. It adds a great amount of variety, while not forcing you to essentially start over on a different character if you want to play a different role. Unfortunately, perhaps precisely because of the class system, there are no talent trees or glyphs or anything like that. Outside of the handful of skills you can cross class, and gear obviously, every job is the same between players. Some people actually prefer it like this I think, but personally I miss having multiple ways to play a class at times.

The pace of battle is also a bit slower than WoW, as the base GCD for skills is 2.5 seconds in FFXIV. There is less ability bloat as well, mainly due to the fact the game was designed to play well on controller (and they succeeded on that front). However because of this classes are much simpler to play, rotations are extremely straight forward and easy to pick up. That could be another positive or negative, depending on who you ask.

BadRNG

I forgot to mention one thing, the game is currently in one of those pre-expansion lulls, so if you did start playing now the game might seem a bit deader than it normally would be. The patch cycle was made with the intention of the expansion coming out this month, but it got delayed till June so there has been a bit of a drought content wise and a lot of people have quit waiting for Heavensward.

I'm trying to learn how to become a good Ninja, but the server delay is making it impossible to chain attacks perfectly (I'm nowhere near this guy perfect execution at 19:24). I'm getting a VPN to see if I manage to do better.
I can't play NIN without WTFast personally, mudra lag too much. Even with it every now and then it can still be not-good. If the lag is bad enough you can switch to just using Fuma over Raiton, depending on how badly 2mudras are eating into your GCD it can be a nice dps boost. You'll never do MAX DPS but you can compensate to at least do fairly good dps, at least high enough that no one will ever complain.

It's a really poorly designed mechanic, they clearly did not consider not everyone lives in Japan next door to their data center. Personally I wish they'd make mudras 1sec cast, increase potency/timers to compensate, so that everyone can play the class optimally and not dependent on their ping. I think last time the issue was brought up they just blamed other people's internet and moved on, so I am not really expecting any changes unfortunately...

(Oops, sorry for double post)

Tiops

Dear diary:

Yesterday, my Zodiac Glass said that my Artemis Bow was showing faint activity. That means I'm close to Nexus, right? I'm so looking forward to the fun Zodiac step after I finish light grinding. It should be easy and fast.

I also discovered that WoD with Newborn Star bonus is NOT worth it. People are stupid. I should stick to Hard Primals and T4.

IvorB

I finally got my Qarn HM dungeon ATMA drop. I literally fell off my sofa, like, literally. I lost track of how many times I had to do that dungeon for that. It was just crazy. I couldn't handle running it heavily like I was doing so I just did one run a day. Then one day I just decided: f**k it, and ran it again and it dropped.

I honestly don't know what the point of completing this relic is now so close to the expansion. There's still hundreds of thousands of gill to spend and even more dungeons to grind. I think I will hold off until they announce what will happen with these relics in the expansion. I don't mind doing the dungeons but spending all that gil isn't a great investment unless there is some use for it in Heavensward.

On another note: the Black Mage Bot Army is back!

UUJdZb7.jpg

Notice how they even have their own little FC now: asgfgagqg. Isn't that adorable? I feel like soon they will be clearing coil and grinding ATMA just like the rest of us. How long until we can finally see these guys not just as bots but fellow players of the game? If we could only get them to talk about something else other than "let's make things better, buy my gil" I feel like we could really connect.

Rizzi

Question about class progression. My lancer is nearly level 30. I understand if I get marauder to level 15 at that point I can start playing as a dragoon. Should I? Or should I just try and get to 50 as a lancer?

Hasney

Question about class progression. My lancer is nearly level 30. I understand if I get marauder to level 15 at that point I can start playing as a dragoon. Should I? Or should I just try and get to 50 as a lancer?

Get your dragoon ASAP. I made that mistake as an archer by not getting Bard early enough.

IvorB

Dear diary:

Yesterday, my Zodiac Glass said that my Artemis Bow was showing faint activity. That means I'm close to Nexus, right? I'm so looking forward to the fun Zodiac step after I finish light grinding. It should be easy and fast.

I also discovered that WoD with Newborn Star bonus is NOT worth it. People are stupid. I should stick to Hard Primals and T4.

An ST, though, on newborn star can be very good. But WoD takes too long and it's not worth it.

Shamdeo

Any interesting stuff that is different/new coming from wow?

One big difference between this game and World of Warcraft is how story progression is handled. WoW usually (and forgive me if this changed as I perma-dropped in Cata) does its "main scenario" storytelling through loredumps in quest text and has you proceed through quest hubs that matter more as a means of exploring geography.

FFXIV has a scenario that progresses similarly to a single-player Final Fantasy - in that you progress linearly from one plot point to the next, and they employ the use of cutscenes for many parts of the story, which allows for a greater narrative potency at the expense(?) of losing control of your character. The game also does gate a lot of stuff through the main scenario, so usually if you need to unlock something, you gotta continue it.

The game doesn't do much zone phasing (though there are areas that have "progressed" over time - Revenant's Toll is the major example) though it's still a relatively early period in the game's lifespan.

Another thing is that you won't have to complete high-end raids to continue or get closure to the story. While the scenario in the game's current raids (The Binding Coil of Bahamut and the Crystal Tower) are important story and lore-wise, it's not required to understand what's going on or to have a sense of conclusion. They're handled like self-contained branches from the main scenario, which I think was a good decision in ways I won't bore you with unless you ask.

The "A Realm Reborn" story begins when you start the story and ends when you complete The Praetorium dungeon at Lv. 50. Credits roll. Yadda yadda. This is the self-contained story that was available to complete at the game's initial release.

After that, you have the post-A Realm Reborn "Chronicles of A New Era" storyline. This is the story added with the five major patches came out since the game released, and all of them include a new "chapter" that serves the purpose of continuing/concluding minor threads in the A Realm Reborn storyline and setting up new plot points to be explored in the Heavensward expansion.

Think of it like... uh... an episodic TV show that takes place between feature-length movies.

IvorB

People will sh*t on you if you rock up to a post level 30 fight without a job. It happened to me back in the day.

BLCKATK

Hm. Dragoon starts at level 1 right?

No, Dragoon is technically the same thing as Lancer. It shares the same level and most of its abilities, however, you gain 5 new abilities (unlocked over time) and a stat increase. Also you gain the ability to wear job specific gear.

When you complete the level 30 Lancer quest, a quest will open up to introduce you to the job trainer for Dragoon. Once completing the quest, you will receive the "Soul of the Dragoon", a soul stone that is equip on your character screen. When you equip that soul stone, your job will change from Lancer to Dragoon, your stats will increase, and you will gain any job abilities that have unlocked. Your level will stay the same.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was in a World of Darkness party with you the other day. I was trying to say 'wassup' but you left me hanging ha ha. :)

Oh sorry lol. I kinda turn off my brain when I'm in there because it's often extremely painful :(
And I keep losing the roll on that damn minion...

IvorB

Hm. Dragoon starts at level 1 right?

Nah, it will be the level of your lancer. It's honestly worth doing because you get a bunch of new skills and equipment.

Oh sorry lol. I kinda turn off my brain when I'm in there because it's often extremely painful :(
And I keep losing the roll on that damn minion...

It's cool; I figured you were probably on autopilot. :)

Croyles

On another note: the Black Mage Bot Army is back!

Notice how they even have their own little FC now: asgfgagqg. Isn't that adorable? I feel like soon they will be clearing coil and grinding ATMA just like the rest of us. How long until we can finally see these guys not just as bots but fellow players of the game? If we could only get them to talk about something else other than "let's make things better, buy my gil" I feel like we could really connect.

From a few months ago:

Yup that's them alright. Is that Garuda's staff? Man, she's getting beat up by bots these days. :-O

It's weird too, cause if you farm Garuda so much that you get a staff drop, wouldn't it be a ton better to just use soldiery and buy the sold staff? Bots logic is still something that is hard to comprehend.

It's weird too, cause if you farm Garuda so much that you get a staff drop, wouldn't it be a ton better to just use soldiery and buy the sold staff? Bots logic is still something that is hard to comprehend.

It could be the crafted version. I'm pretty sure I saw some bots wearing NQ crafted ones before.

Tiops

An ST, though, on newborn star can be very good. But WoD takes too long and it's not worth it.
Yeah, ST is fine. But I got a group yesterday that couldn't skip Glasia's second explosion, and we had to use the teleporters to not wipe...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It'll happen eventually...!

Though I do wonder what will happen with CT-ST-WoD in the expansion if only for the sake of their minion and housing drops...

They should have made that stuff 100% drop a long time ago. Now it's just painful.

barrin87

I played through my first 8 man party yesterday with Cape Westwind and it's definitely much more hectic with double the amount of people on screen. The trial was really easy though and I even got a congrats from another player and a commendation. Still think I could probably be a much better BLM though.

Zomba13

Is there a reason they would get Garuda's staff? Like, that involves queueing and getting the drop. And if they buy the satff isn't that a couple million each that could be used to sell to people?

I'm fascinated by the BLM bot army. I kinda love how they look so menacing and creepy a bunch of BLMs in AF. It also fits in super well with the Black Mages in FFIX. That's my head canon anyway. Someone is manufacturing Black Mages.

RPGCrazied

Only ever had a problem with Odin and that other major one along with S-Rank hunts. Most other times are smooth as owt.

Ok, went ahead and bought it online. Couple more questions. Does it come with free 30 days? Also, updates included, how much space does it take on the HD? I'm still using the stock 500gb, but only have 4 PS4 games. Only 2 of those are installed.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Ok, went ahead and bought it online. Couple more questions. Does it come with free 30 days? Also, updates included, how much space does it take on the HD? I'm still using the stock 500gb, but only have 4 PS4 games. Only 2 of those are installed.

Yep. It comes with 30 days free. I'm not sure how much space but 500gb is more than enough so you shouldn't worry!

Last I looked on my PS4 it was taking up 38.4 GB of space.

aceface

Guys I'm getting bored enough that I'm considering farming Odin for glamour this weekend. Please help
me farm

Guys when is the earliest I can apply for guild? I mean when can I expect to find someone from GAF guild ingame? (Just started am lvl 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom