• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/

150313heavensward_ce06.jpg
150313heavensward_ce13.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I don't know how robust the macro system is but is it functional enough to like put an entire combo on there?

Like on my Dragoon I have the thrust combo and the impulse drive combo so I was curious if I could make a cast sequence macro where each press of the button does the next spell in the combo? It'd let me open up some nice keybinds for other stuff instead of me just having 1 2 3 4 and Q E R T taken up by combo stuff.

I guess the down side here is if you miss the 2nd hit in a combo you're screwed with the macro, so maybe it isn't worth macroing combos together.

So I don't know how robust the macro system is but is it functional enough to like put an entire combo on there?

Like on my Dragoon I have the thrust combo and the impulse drive combo so I was curious if I could make a cast sequence macro where each press of the button does the next spell in the combo? It'd let me open up some nice keybinds for other stuff instead of me just having 1 2 3 4 and Q E R T taken up by combo stuff.

I guess the down side here is if you miss the 2nd hit in a combo you're screwed with the macro, so maybe it isn't worth macroing combos together.

macros aren't worh it in battle b/c you have to wait in full seconds. if your gcd is for example 2.5 seconds, when you do a macro for on gcd moves, you have to put the wait command at 3 seconds. Thus you lose .5 seconds everytime, killing your dps. It also doesnt help if you gotta move

It's bad because you can only use rounded durations, while the GCD is 2.5secs. So you'd need to wait 3seconds to actually have it fire, which obviously means you're losing a lot of damage. On top of that it's just bad due to random events happening that would break the macro(like turning around, having to move and so on), forcing you to stop the macro then start again from the start, rather than just pick up from where you left off by pressing the current step of the combo.

Only reason I'd consider it would be grinding leves or whatever while sitting on the toilet with your Vita doing remote play.

Semper88

Except I keep being told as a war that I'm nothing but an off tank. =(

Haha, I'm a WAR in a static that downed T13 and let me tell you its way better being a OT then MT XD Paladin stands still at a location and presses 1,2,3. We on the other hand play like a dps class with a tank swap here and there.

Also WAR can MT as well maybe even better due or high hp and always CD ready.

LaneDS

Yeah but you're having more fun!

Question about chocobo companion XP gain: how does the XP gained from stabling and feeding your chocobo compare to having it out with you while you do FATEs? I was under the very wrong impression until yesterday that you couldn't stable until rank 10.

Drac

macros aren't worh it in battle b/c you have to wait in full seconds. if your gcd is for example 2.5 seconds, when you do a macro for on gcd moves, you have to put the wait command at 3 seconds. Thus you lose .5 seconds everytime, killing your dps. It also doesnt help if you gotta move

False, you can do sub second macro with "." but it's not worth it anyway.
There's no server culling with macro, so you lose time between each action. In long demanding fight, this is a somewhat huge dps loss. Even if this become less and less of a problem thanks to echo/ilvl progression, you still have a lot of positioning requirement to proc some effects, shit to evade, ... that could make your macro fail.

As a MNK, I can't even begin to think playing with macro for combo, but maybe PLD could :p

Edit: wait, actually I used macro as MNK when I was farming FATE for ATMA when they were first released. My insanity reached its peak at around 4AM.

Haha, I'm a WAR in a static that downed T13 and let me tell you its way better being a OT then MT XD Paladin stands still at a location and presses 1,2,3. We on the other hand play like a dps class with a tank swap here and there.

Also WAR can MT as well maybe even better due or high hp and always CD ready.

O, I know, definitely. I just don't even bother bringing it up/defending warrior because I feel no one wants to make paladins face the truth about how one-dimensional they are. Sure, you can be the main tank, you literally cannot do anything else. /patonthehead

iammeiam

I think the idea is that it's easier for a PLD to MT, but a competent WAR could handle it fine. It's just less risky to let the PLD do it.

I dunno, I'm starting to think the 2-WAR T13 Dream might actually on some level be feasible even without insane gearing levels. The Akh Morn rotation sounded extremely convoluted but that might just be because I have no idea how WAR works.

It won't matter in the end, I'll go DRK and see where it leads. I can't stand FFXI DRK but from what we've heard about how they're handling it in this game it seems an interesting take on tanking.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

There's no server culling with macro, so you lose time between each action. In long demanding fight, this is a somewhat huge dps loss.

Whoa alright then good to know, I guess I'll just stick to my 1 button cool down macro for offensive CD's then.

Yeah but you're having more fun!

Question about chocobo companion XP gain: how does the XP gained from stabling and feeding your chocobo compare to having it out with you while you do FATEs? I was under the very wrong impression until yesterday that you couldn't stable until rank 10.

Depends on how often you feed it and how much xp you're making outside. Feeding is 1% of the max xp to next level(less than 1% once you get past rank10 though, ends up at like .5% or something), per hour. You can also get someone else to feed it once per hour. So you kinda need to check, but generally before rank 8-10 or so, feeding isn't particularily fast and mob xp is pretty good, plus you level faster and stuff. Once you get to 10 and higher though, feeding it is really the only decent way to level it, grinding takes forever.

You also get a weekly challenge for 15% xp(well 2 for 10+5). So definitely kill 100mobs per week with it for that.

You can use 2.5, but it'll round it to 3. You cannot actually make it wait 2.5seconds. If you're a monk/ninja, you can go down to 2secs GCD and use that instead, but otherwise you're losing a ton of DPS.

LaneDS

Depends on how often you feed it and how much xp you're making outside. Feeding is 1% of the max xp to next level(less than 1% once you get past rank10 though, ends up at like .5% or something), per hour. You can also get someone else to feed it once per hour. So you kinda need to check, but generally before rank 8-10 or so, feeding isn't particularily fast and mob xp is pretty good, plus you level faster and stuff. Once you get to 10 and higher though, feeding it is really the only decent way to level it, grinding takes forever.

You also get a weekly challenge for 15% xp(well 2 for 10+5). So definitely kill 100mobs per week with it for that.

Awesome, thanks for that response. On the verge of rank 7 so I guess I'll grind it out before stabling.

Awesome, thanks for that response. On the verge of rank 7 so I guess I'll grind it out before stabling.

Well it doesn't hurt stabling it every time you take a break and feeding it, you can take it out right after. It's only an issue if you get someone to feed it too since there's a 1hour delay before you can feed someone's else chocobo once they stable it, but for you, you can stable, feed, fetch and go back to farming(at the cost of a ghysal to resummon but eh). It's just as you level up, the xp per kill becomes so bad, it's fairly irrelevant. I still used my chocobo to do daillies and what not though, it's still some xp even if it's not much, better than nothing.

Getting to rank20 is stupidly long though, especially if you can't afford to check it every hour to feed it a lot every day. And it really doesn't do much, once you have rank10 DPS and rank4 healing, you're pretty much done.

LaneDS

Solid advice all around, so thanks again. If I can hit rank 10 by Heavensward I'll be content with that progress.

LaneDS

It's just a super slow process. I'd love to see them address the issue with Duty Finder and the companion not being summonable but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I get frustrated when I have to do a story instance and the chocobo isn't allowed. One, I have to click through everything again, two, that's more time not leveling my chocobo. I feel like chocobos were just added for the exp-starved dps to make grinding fates more manageable. As a tank I don't need it whatsoever because I don't even need fates.

scy

O, I know, definitely. I just don't even bother bringing it up/defending warrior because I feel no one wants to make paladins face the truth about how one-dimensional they are. Sure, you can be the main tank, you literally cannot do anything else. /patonthehead

I mean, a Paladin in full DPS gear will also do more damage than you. In terms of optimizing Tank DPS, WAR MT + PLD OT is better damage overall; if we want to get technical, PLD MT in Sword Oath + WAR OT is probably the absolute best but it's a lot harsher on healing requirements.

Whoa alright then good to know, I guess I'll just stick to my 1 button cool down macro for offensive CD's then.

This is also fairly bad, for the record.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is also fairly bad, for the record.

Really? I don't see too much of an issue macroing 2 90 second cool downs together if I am gonna use them together 90% of the time.

Does it have to do with how macros work? Or do you just wanna spread your offensive CD's over a long while instead of blowing them all together?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Guys, you're all so misguided. Red airships don't go faster, I don't know why you assume this. No one color is inherently faster than any other. It's all about putting flames on the airship. That shit is scientifically proven to make airships go faster.

Didn't you ever watch Gundam? The red one is 3x as fast.

Drac

You can use 2.5, but it'll round it to 3. You cannot actually make it wait 2.5seconds. If you're a monk/ninja, you can go down to 2secs GCD and use that instead, but otherwise you're losing a ton of DPS.

You're sure about that ? because I have macro for stupid animation with .5 wait and stuff to link emotes and it's definitely not rounded.

scy

Really? I don't see too much of an issue macroing 2 90 second cool downs together if I am gonna use them together 90% of the time.

Does it have to do with how macros work? Or do you just wanna spread your offensive CD's over a long while instead of blowing them all together?

Part of it is how macros work (lack of queueing, for instance) but it's mostly because of the animation time on the buffs themselves. Doing two back-to-back will eat into your next skill use a little bit. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (~0.5s lost?) but no reason to get into the habit when there's no gain, really. That said, Dragoon doesn't get haste like MNK/NIN so you can probably get away with it most of the time but, again, just not a good habit.

Ultimately, macros to automate anything combat related will pretty much not be ideal.

You're sure about that ? because I have macro for stupid animation with .5 wait and stuff to link emotes and it's definitely not rounded.

Yes. Try it with crafting if you want. You can use X.5 in a macro but the game will simply round it up when it comes to execution.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Queued for T9 in DF for kicks.
Made it to divebombs first try, then disconnects happened.
Better than expected.

iammeiam

What are you macro'ing together? IR and...? The only other thing I can think of for DRG is Blood for Blood and having that go off when you're fishing for IR just seems unwise.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright that's kind of a shame, I loved messing around with macros for combat stuff in other MMO's for fun but whatever I guess I'll just turn on my 3rd action bar then haha.

But I get your point about bad habits, thankfully this isn't something I'm too used to since I was just looking into it after finally hitting 30 and becoming a dragoon.

Just thinking ahead and how I'll keybind all my stuff. I feel like the fact that Dragoons eventually get two 3 skill combos and 2 buffs to manage makes it a bit trickier to find comfortable binds.

plake

OT 7? FFVII HD Remaster confirmed?!!??!!?

In all seriousness though I am disappoint that we don't use the roman numerals for the OT numbers.

I mean, a Paladin in full DPS gear will also do more damage than you. In terms of optimizing Tank DPS, WAR MT + PLD OT is better damage overall; if we want to get technical, PLD MT in Sword Oath + WAR OT is probably the absolute best but it's a lot harsher on healing requirements.

I wish I had the time and energy to contest this. =(

The same bad arguments from OTs past are coming back. This time from a new person!

Er, just to clarify, I don't mean disprove, I mean put my own effort in to reach my own conclusion - whether it be the same or different. I just can't play the game at that level though due to simply being an older gamer at this point. I have no issues with paladin being the greatest, bestest tank class in the game. It's just always better to understand things yourself through experience rather than reading what others tell you, otherwise you can't really join the conversation.

Hystzen

How can people running keeper of lake still have no idea why as tank marking out targets instead they just smacking random enemies wondering why they keep getting aggroed. Even healer started bitching a both DPS then in a sulk both dos stand still when the airship sets fire to arena fucking us over twice

Drac

Yes. Try it with crafting if you want. You can use X.5 in a macro but the game will simply round it up when it comes to execution.

I was only using whole number for my crafting/fishing macro but for my ass wiping macro (don't ask) I spam /handover with .2 wait and it works great. It would be strange for it to work with emote but not with other actions. I'll test it tonight, maybe they improved the macro some times ago ?

The same bad arguments from OTs past are coming back. This time from a new person! Maybe we need to add a section on WAR MT to the first post.

I would rather there just a separate OT for WAR at this point to be honest. Coming in this thread and having to read about other classes from other people I don't care about is annoying. They should have to leave. ;)

Just realised what an anti-climax the physical Collector's Edition is going to be. "Oh wow, the expensive box for the game that I've already started thanks to early access has arrived!!!"

scy

I was only using whole number for my crafting/fishing macro but for my ass wiping macro (don't ask) I spam /handover with .2 wait and it works great. It would be strange for it to work with emote but not with other actions. I'll test it tonight, maybe they improved the macro some times ago ?

I mean, that's a 0s wait. Decimal notation hasn't really worked for nearly two years now apparently? They round up or down, depending on what you had there (not entirely sure if it's just 1-4 round down, 5-9 round up but probably so). You can test it with /echo macros if you want.

XenoRaven

It would also end in a DPS tanking the boss.

iammeiam

This is more or less what I expected the first time I saw a tank drop Shield Oath for Sword Oath before pulling a boss, but it turns out Sword Oath is more OP than I thought.
Or I'm just a bad. But then so was the other DPS.

And even if they didn't pull in sword, after an initial aggro building period in Shield the tank should have a big enough aggro lead that the hate buff is pointless.

Laekon

Can anyone help me out with a stat question? I started a Lafafell Dunesfolk Arcanist and starting stats were supposed to be I 21, M 22, and P 23. I some how ended up with I 22 M 17, and P 23. Is this something to do with the class I choose? Since I'm looking to become a scholar it seems pretty shitty to lose 5 points of a key stat.

plake

This discussion just further proves the points that all parties should consist of 7 PLD in Sword Oath and 1 SCH in Cleric with Eos on healing duty. It won't matter who has hate as they're all tanks. Genious!

Can anyone help me out with a stat question? I started a Lafafell Dunesfolk Arcanist and starting stats were supposed to be I 21, M 22, and P 23. I some how ended up with I 22 M 17, and P 23. Is this something to do with the class I choose? Since I'm looking to become a scholar it seems pretty shitty to lose 5 points of a key stat.

It seriously doesn't matter with 5 points when you have 700-800 of it.. Just go with whatever race you like the look of most etc.

Valor

Didn't you ever watch Gundam? The red one is 3x as fast.
If you're still asking me these kinds of questions, I feel like you don't know me at all.

It might just be because of arcanist's stat distributions. Mind won't be important until you're actually a scholar anyway, and the scholar job crystal will give you plenty of mind.

This actually happened last night in a turn 6. Wound up cleaving the whole party when it turned before I could hit Elusive Jump. The guy was riding on cloud 9 and thought he could get away with it with his newly melded i110 right side. Felt bad for cleaving the party and bringing him back down to earth, but he should've known better. Your not getting away with shit like that using a Novus Curtana vs 2/4 dps using zeta :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom