• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yay my sleipy gets music

also :lol at more echo

FCoB is such a joke with a competent group already.

Everyone get ready to farm T10 for Poetics. was already the fastest way, now it's even faster!

iammeiam

Nerfing Steps at least makes Trial Roulette potentially worth doing again. And for all that it wasn't that hard, it was potentially a massive timesink sitting between people and expansion content so I get the idea behind it.

I'm just going to continue being amused/amazed that T11 tethers remain untouched. I know a bunch of people will rush to say people should just git gud, but I'm going to remain surprised.

Valor

Nerfing Steps at least makes Trial Roulette potentially worth doing again. And for all that it wasn't that hard, it was potentially a massive timesink sitting between people and expansion content so I get the idea behind it.

I'm just going to continue being amused/amazed that T11 tethers remain untouched. I know a bunch of people will rush to say people should just git gud, but I'm going to remain surprised.

I don't get the huge uproar over Steps being nerfed. There are plenty of people who are gated with story stuff that don't raid/etc. It should be more accessible, and Steps is not. It should be now. I see it as a good thing.

I'm not only surprised by no tether nerfs in 11, but no nerfs in general for FCoB. I guess the general populace is clearing it much easier than they cleared SCoB. I wonder why that is.

I don't actually wonder. SCoB is trash.

iammeiam

I'm not only surprised by no tether nerfs in 11, but no nerfs in general for FCoB. I guess the general populace is clearing it much easier than they cleared SCoB. I wonder why that is.

I don't actually wonder. SCoB is trash.

It's also possible they're just going to do things the right way around this time and get to max echo before dropping the nerfs. Overgearing -> Echo -> Nerfs makes a lot of sense in terms of gradually opening the content to more players as opposed to their weird SCoB approach.

They could go nerf free, but I'm not sure there's any incentive to preserving the 'challenge' in content that's going to be fairly pointless soon, and there are a few points that I don't think echo/gear will be able to nullify any time soon (T11 tethers just being the biggest and most obvious example.)

Croyles

oh yay my sleipy gets music

also :lol at more echo

FCoB is such a joke with a competent group already.

Everyone get ready to farm T10 for Poetics. was already the fastest way, now it's even faster!

You cleared it like 2 weeks before echo, my group on the day. Just because we can farm it now doesn't really elevate us to god tier or anything.

It's easy because we spent months learning all the fights. Just saying :p

BizzyBum

I'm a bit confused. I used to play on PC when it came out and recently got the PS4 version. I linked my ID to PSN and it shows my old character on Mog Station but in-game my old character is not there?

scy

Robot summoner reporting in? It's already crowded up here guys, please assist.

I kind of want to see Steps of Faith again. Maybe just kill Vishap before a wall breaks...

I'm still curious as to how tethers would be nerfed? Like, most changes would still mean "do it right or else" unless they basically remove any penalty from them at all.

Man, more echo come June + nerfs? That'll be something ...

You cleared it like 2 weeks before echo, my group on the day. Just because we can farm it now doesn't really elevate us to god tier or anything.

It's easy because we spent months learning all the fights. Just saying :p

13 yeah. 13 will still be difficult to an extent because you have to not be dumb.

Stuff like T10 tho will be joke status. 3 bennu in T12 will be even easier. I dunno, I felt it was fine with 10% echo considering it doesn't have as many obtuse mechanics as Second Coil. With 15% echo you could ignore a lot of mechanics and still clear it with no trouble. It's nice for farming, it just makes it less interesting to run and people will become more and more bored by it. It's already hard to put together farm groups in GAF as is.

I'm glad they didn't nerf tethers at least.

iammeiam

I'm still curious as to how tethers would be nerfed? Like, most changes would still mean "do it right or else" unless they basically remove any penalty from them at all.

Give them a hybrid of the Blighted treatment and Languishing? Stacks hurt less, vulnerability significantly reduced, and seven or whatever stacks hurts like hell but isn't necessarily a one-shot? Alternately, just make them take longer to give stacks so you can dodge wrong and correct without everyone eating vuln. For all that people want to "olololololol FCoB 2 EZ nerfs for scrubs", most of us aren't spamming T11 in DF and trying to herd cats by getting complete eight strangers to mechanics together in sync. The further out we get from the introduction of echo, the less experienced the DF pool is going to get, too, and the worse the experience is going to get for new players.

Tethers are a particular problem because both healers can get tethered together/both tanks frequently get tethered together. Failing the mechanic can basically force a wipe due to absentee heals or the boss chomping the party. It's possible they leave things as-is, but I don't see any reason to long term.

Man, more echo come June + nerfs? That'll be something ...
I want... Like... 600% more echo in T13. Everyone needs way, way more HP.

RPGCrazied

Really want to start the process of getting a Dragoon, but don't have a lancer yet. I'm still deciding if I want to make another character or just use the character I have now.

scy

Give them a hybrid of the Blighted treatment and Languishing? Stacks hurt less, vulnerability significantly reduced, and seven or whatever stacks hurts like hell but isn't necessarily a one-shot? Alternately, just make them take longer to give stacks so you can dodge wrong and correct without everyone eating vuln.

This is part of what I mean with basically removing all penalty. At the same time, it's like ... the only way that would make sense? Basically double - triple the amount of "mistake" time available. I dunno, I like the idea of them leaving some bite to the mechanics still but it'll be like ... June by the time these proposed nerfs would even happen. Why not just defang it at that point I suppose.

I want... Like... 600% more echo in T13. Everyone needs way, way more HP.

simulate that expansion gear

With 15% echo you could ignore a lot of mechanics and still clear it with no trouble. It's nice for farming, it just makes it less interesting to run and people will become more and more bored by it. It's already hard to put together farm groups in GAF as is.

I mean, 5% more echo isn't like ... a massive change. Our pseudorandom GAF T13 farms were still unable to 100% of the time skip the third add, for instance, at 10% echo. The extra 5% might still not even make up for that. Especially if it means cutting the 3rd Megaflare in P1 now and losing that free DPS time.

I'm a bit confused. I used to play on PC when it came out and recently got the PS4 version. I linked my ID to PSN and it shows my old character on Mog Station but in-game my old character is not there?

Double check you chose the right data center. It should be there if the mogstation shows your character (and shows that you connected that account with PS4).

I tried loging in but the launcher said that it was suspicios of my login connection so it banned me.
For how long will I be banned? Also is this standard when changing IP nr (am at my sisters home)

iammeiam

I guess I'm sort of overall okay with the idea of nerfs because people won't click echo off anyway, and echo is basically nerfs for basic gameplay 101. Nerfs for turn-specific mechanics seem tame and inoffensive in comparison, and I'm still a DF scrub at heart so anything that helps that works for me.

I tried loging in but the launcher said that it was suspicios of my login connection so it banned me.
For how long will I be banned? Also is this standard when changing IP nr (am at my sisters home)

Change your password and your account will unlock; I've had to do that a few times. Never waited out the timer naturally.

Look into getting a one-time password so this doesn't happen in the future. Otherwise yeah IP changes will start triggering security stuff.

scy

Yeah, echo is the worst offender to me as far as "nerfs" go: It makes up for never learning the game. Fight specific nerfs just make up for not learning the fight.

scy

Meh. Steps of Faith is required for the MSQ. It's required for Heavensward. It'll be extremely bad for people to want to get into Ishgard but be unable to do so for whatever reason because of it. Steps getting nerfed was an inevitable thing.

Stuart444

Like someone else said, they should have just put NPCs to do mechanics in Steps. That way people can just hit vishap until dead. Like most other story content that doesn't require mechanics. Hit boss til dead!

Like someone else said, they should have just put NPCs to do mechanics in Steps. That way people can just hit vishap until dead. Like most other story content that doesn't require mechanics. Hit boss til dead!

I think they want to believe that the ppl that play the game can actually do content that isnt coil hard at this point, but keep on getting let down. I feel bad for yoship and mr d.

iammeiam

Compare Chrysalis and Steps. Chrysalis was surprisingly complicated for a story trial, and while it had a few tricks and mechanics the core of the trial was doing your job. Tank tanks, healer heals, DPS kills the thing. It had a bad rep at first and still occasionally wrecks DF, but survived unnerfed (I think?)

Steps is just kind of gimmicky bullshit. The idea of a challenging trial isn't inherently bad, but making one that relies on proper execution of gimmicks that don't really appear elsewhere that drops nothing and is pointless to rerun post-clear was a bad call. I have 0 problems with them making super gimmicky stuff faceroll. Especially when it's an arbitrary gate between a person and the entire expansion that they've paid for.

Unless all of Heavensward has stupid cannon stuff in it, it's not like Steps is teaching people useful skills for it.

Compare Chrysalis and Steps. Chrysalis was surprisingly complicated for a story trial, and while it had a few tricks and mechanics the core of the trial was doing your job. Tank tanks, healer heals, DPS kills the thing. It had a bad rep at first and still occasionally wrecks DF, but survived unnerfed (I think?)

Steps is just kind of gimmicky bullshit. The idea of a challenging trial isn't inherently bad, but making one that relies on proper execution of gimmicks that don't really appear elsewhere that drops nothing and is pointless to rerun post-clear was a bad call. I have 0 problems with them making super gimmicky stuff faceroll. Especially when it's an arbitrary gate between a person and the entire expansion that they've paid for.

Unless all of Heavensward has stupid cannon stuff in it, it's not like Steps is teaching people useful skills for it.

if you dont have gimmicks all your fights will be pretty similar. chrysalis had less gimmicks but they were still there

iammeiam

Goddamnit.

\o/

if you dont have gimmicks all your fights will be pretty similar. chrysalis had less gimmicks but they were still there

Right, and I acknowledged that Chrysalis had Other Things going on, but what I'm getting at is Chrysalis was gimmicks done right. Steps is like the SVHM cannon boss--it's almost entirely gimmick. There's no challenge there in terms of the skills you actually need for difficult game content. If Chyrsalis is 30% gimmick, 70% basics, Steps flips the ratio and I'm not sure why 70% gimmick is something worthwhile as a barrier and to be upset over the easing of.

I'm secretly hoping the nerfs are severe enough to make cannonless runs possible, because I am awful.

\o/

Right, and I acknowledged that Chrysalis had Other Things going on, but what I'm getting at is Chrysalis was gimmicks done right. Steps is like the SVHM cannon boss--it's almost entirely gimmick. There's no challenge there in terms of the skills you actually need for difficult game content. If Chyrsalis is 30% gimmick, 70% basics, Steps flips the ratio and I'm not sure why 70% gimmick is something worthwhile as a barrier and to be upset over the easing of.

I'm secretly hoping the nerfs are severe enough to make cannonless runs possible, because I am awful.

yea I can agree that steps had a bit too many gimmicks

The general incompetence of the populace with cannons will lead to interesting things with airship versus airship warfare.

cannons were pretty hard to use when i did it. Cant see the dragons hit box so a lot of shots miss :(

XenoRaven

I might have too much faith in the community but I feel like the main issue with Steps is that the mechanics aren't really well explained and aren't immediately clear to the player. It almost feels like they just assumed you had just gotten done with Livia sas Junius and Stone Vigil Hard so obviously everyone knows what to do with cannons and exactly when to snare and exactly when to use DK.

Instead of nerfing it, if they had just allowed the player to get a handle on the mechanics without having other people yell at them or having to watch a YouTube video there would be a much better success rate.

Stuart444

You aren't getting poetics uncapped. Might as well just make peace with that now.

I know that :p

hence the lol... lol.

Pretty sure they said it was because i130 is still a bit high for story content in Heavensward (at least til half way through it) which doesn't make much sense imo considering everyone playing on their mains will probably be at i120 - i130 anyway. Only people who will be weaker than that are people who were jumping at the new jobs straight away so they can go through Heavensward content on those new jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom