• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Oh wow, Paladin getting some nice new skills then! My plan to be Cecil style confirmed.

As things are now, any reasons to go one tank job vs the other in specific battles?

Sandfox

The new Dragoon stuff is really going to mess with my keybindings lol. Its going to take a while to get used to depending on what the optimal rotation looks like.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Worst part about T7 savage as a melee is dealing with all sorts of hit detection bullshit.
Like Dragonfire Diving over Discipline from a safe zone to a safe zone? Nope, you're dead because you were in the air over it at the right moment.
Or how certain dragoon animations keep turning you to the boss even while you're actively nudging yourself away to avoid Petrifaction.

Lots of fun.

Full list so far.

Paladin

Gore Blade: Weaponskill which follows Riot Sword as a combo action to add a DoT effect.
Royal Authority: Weaponskill which follows Savage Blade as a combo action to increase damage.
Divine Veil: Buff which generates a damage absorbing barrier on nearby party members when the paladin is cured.
Sheltron: Buff which guarantees block for a single attack.
Clemency: Ability which recovers the paladin's HP.
???: Buff which recovers MP when blocking.

Warrior

Deliverance: Critical hit rate increasing offensive stance as counterpart to Defiance. Grants stacks of Abandon (increases critical hit rate) when certain actions are executed - same as actions which generate Wrath through level 50. Wrath/Abandon are exchanged when switching stances, maintaining the accumulated stacks.
???: Single target weaponskill which uses Abandon stacks.
???: AoE weaponskill which uses Abandon stacks.
Raw Intuition: Buff which guarantees the next attack is parried if from the front, but will be a critical hit if from another direction.
Equilibrium: Ability which recovers the warrior's HP (~5000 HP?).

Monk

Embu/Change Form: Changes from one form to the next, on the GCD with same recast as weaponskills. If no form is active, changes to Opo-opo Form.
Chakra: Accumulates one stack of Chakra which has no effect itself but can be expended for Purify or Forbidden Chakra at V.
Purify: Ability that uses five stacks of Chakra to restore TP.
Forbidden Chakra: Weaponskill that uses five stacks of Chakra to deal high damage.
Tornado Kick: Weaponskill that expends Greased Lightning III to deal very high damage.
???: Ranged attack ability.

Dragoon

Blood of the Dragon: Short duration buff that increases the effect of Jumps and Spineshatter Dive. Allows execution of new combo finishers and Geirskogul. Remaining duration can be increased or decreased by executing certain techniques.
Dragonfang Dragonclaw (lit.): Fourth stage finisher for Full Thrust combo, only available during Blood of the Dragon.
Swinging Dragon Tail (lit): Fourth stage finisher for Chaos Thrust combo, only available during Blood of the Dragon.
Geirskogul: Powerful frontal AoE attack (level 60). Only available during Blood of the Dragon, and reduces its remaining duration.
Battle Litany: Increases critical hit rate for self and party members.
Separately from above, the animation lock on Jumps is being further adjusted so they cause less delay in battle.

Bard

Wanderer's Minuet: Fixed attack stance which greatly increases weaponskill damage at the expense of adding an interruptible casting time and removing auto-attacks. Can be used simultaneously with other songs. Certain abilities are only available during Wanderer's Minuet.
Empyreal Arrow: Weaponskill, only available with Wanderer's Minuet.
Iron Jaw: Weaponskill which refreshes the active effect durations of Venombite and Windbite, only availiable with Wanderer's Minuet.
Sidewinder: Weaponskill which increases the damage of applied Venombite and Windbite effects.
Keeper's Paeon: New song which does not conflict with existing songs and applies to party members and pets (effect unknown).

Ninja

Kemuri Dama (lit. Smoke Ball): Suppresses enmity generation for target party member.
Kage Watari (lit. Crossed Shadow): Transfers enmity from the ninja to a target party member.
Issou (lit. Two for One): Buff which powers up the next weaponskill.
Mugen Sandan (lit. Three Part Illusion): Three-stage physical attack skill.
???: New weaponskill finisher for Gust Slash combo which prolongs an active Huton effect.

Black Mage

Enochian: Level 60 buff which grants access to Blizzard IV and Fire IV.
Fire IV: Strongest fire elemental spell, requires Astral Fire and Enochian to cast, does not refresh Astral Fire duration.
Blizzard IV: Strongest ice elemental spell, requires Umbral Ice and Enochian to cast, does not refresh Umbral Ice duration. Increases the remaining Enochian duration, but this effect is diminshed with each extension.
Sharpcast: Buff which guarantees enhanced bonus effect/proc for next Fire, Thunder, or Scathe.
Ley Lines: Ground targeted buff which generates a field area which increases attack speed for the casting black mage as long as they remain within the field. Exiting the field removes both the buff and the field area.

Summoner

Tri-disaster: Learned at level 56, applies Bio, Bio II, and Miasma. Original Tri-disaster has been renamed "Tri-bind."
Bahamut Aether: New stacking buff gained for 30 seconds by using stacks of Aetherflow, increases magic damage dealt.
Dreadwyrm Trance: Can be activated with Bahamut Aether, allows execution of more powerful actions.
Ruin III: Available during Dreadwyrm Trance, increased damage with reduced MP cost.
Deathflare: ???

The wording isn't 100% clear that Ruin III is only available during Dreadwyrm Trance, but here's the straight translation: "During Dreadwyrm Trance, it's possible to further increase DPS while reducing spent MP by using the new spell Ruin III."

White Mage

Asylum: Generates a regenerative field area on the ground.
Assize: Instant WHM-centered simultaneous AoE damage and AoE healing ability.
Tetragrammaton: Instant HP recovery for target.
Stone III: Strongest earth elemental magic attack, pure damage.
Aero III: AoE wind elemental DoT.

Scholar

Dissipation: Returns the summoned fairy for some bonus effect - undergoing last minute adjustments.
Indomitability: AoE heal which consumes an Aetherflow stack.
Emergency Tactics: Converts the barrier effect of heals to increased healing power.
Deployment Tactics: Action which extends the effects of Galvanize and Eye for an Eye from target party member to other party members in the AoE.
???: New non-elemental magic attack.
Protect spell is being updated so it still has the magic defense when equipped as an additional action.

Paladin is seeing the most change I think since it's getting proper combo choice and more support abilities.

Ninja got shafted, TWO enmity skills? Not sure what the point of redirecting enmity to another target is. Why would you choose a target other than the tank? The first enmity skill essentially already covers the second one. I can only imagine it being useful if Ninja gets some kind of crazy burst that requires one of these skills to prevent tanks from losing control at the start. And no new mudras it looks like.

Stimpack

Howdy, I'm new too! Played the trial yesterday, and bought the game today after I caught myself waking up this morning and logging in pretty much right away since I had nothing better to do.

Feel free to quote/look me up.

I was wondering how long it would take to see someone from GAF in the wild, and it didn't take long. My first sight of GAF was a lalafel in underwear dancing. I was not disappointed.

Tried to add you, but is says I couldn't find a player by that name. You don't have to be online, do you?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
i dont use anything and do around 5 minutes, but Im pretty lazy and cheap
I'll shoot for that then.

The next thing is I'm not really sure where my numbers should be on the dummy for my job/ilvl (BLM/129 w/ Augmented poetics weapon).

B-Ri

I applied for GAF in game.

Is there anyone that's online right now that can help me with this piece of materia I've got? I don't have a high enough skill to use it

scy

Ninja got shafted, TWO enmity skills? Not sure what the point of redirecting enmity to another target is. Why would you choose a target other than the tank?

Trolling, I assume.

The first enmity skill essentially already covers the second one. I can only imagine it being useful if Ninja gets some kind of crazy burst that requires one of these skills to prevent tanks from losing control at the start. And no new mudras it looks like.

Issou means they have a near 1000 potency hit in their opener (>1200 if they can use it on Trick Attack / Kassatsu'd Raiton). But, yeah, getting two seems ... a bit much. I dunno, I guess it gives them a niche at least of utility melee DPS.

One new Mudra would means like 7 new skills alone. Which ... would be kind of funny, actually.

BadRNG

As things are now, any reasons to go one tank job vs the other in specific battles?
Based off the skills thus far it seems like they are trying to make all three pretty viable regardless of MT/OT. Everyone getting skills that work best in one role or the other. I'm sure one of the three will be slightly better on some fights but as long as it is fairly balanced as it is now I don't think it'll matter much.

Most interesting one to me, depending on the range of effect, is Divine Veil. At first glance it sounds like a MT skill but using it on a OT stacked with group before a big aoe like Gigaflare would be pretty strong. It'd be insane if it were 1/1 heal to shield ratio, could get 4k shields on everyone easily with a WHM. Combine with convalescence for added fun.

Low level PLD is pretty annoying, seems like such a struggle to maintain aggro on a crowd. Overpower was so much better.
They buffed flash's enmity, it's pretty close to Overpower now I think?

Teknoman

I wonder about the benefits of stance switching on command with monk... Gonna need some iron fist pros to chime in on the possibilities of embu. Also have they shown what the cool down on chakra will be?

scy

They buffed flash's enmity, it's pretty close to Overpower now I think?

In terms of in-game calculations, I believe they're the same enmity potency. The difference is Overpower can crit and scales with buffs better.

I wonder about the benefits of stance switching on command with monk... Gonna need some iron fist pros to chime in on the possibilities of embu. Also have they shown what the cool down on chakra will be?

It's never worth it to Form Change instead of just mashing out the skill. Well, I guess if you're short TP and need to keep up stacks? But it's a 0 potency GCD so you'd only do it if you're off the boss.

Tornado Kick, even without PB up, is a potency gain so no reason to not dump stacks just for the sake of it. Chakra is a weird one since, as far as I know, it's a GCD to build stacks so it also isn't really worth using it except when there's nothing to punch.

Dragoon

Blood of the Dragon: Short duration buff that increases the effect of Jumps and Spineshatter Dive. Allows execution of new combo finishers and Geirskogul. Remaining duration can be increased or decreased by executing certain techniques.
Dragonfang Dragonclaw (lit.): Fourth stage finisher for Full Thrust combo, only available during Blood of the Dragon.
Swinging Dragon Tail (lit): Fourth stage finisher for Chaos Thrust combo, only available during Blood of the Dragon.
Geirskogul: Powerful frontal AoE attack (level 60). Only available during Blood of the Dragon, and reduces its remaining duration.
Battle Litany: Increases critical hit rate for self and party members.
Separately from above, the animation lock on Jumps is being further adjusted so they cause less delay in battle.

I can't see the current DRG rotation working with all of this-which I suppose is the point. Phelbotomize is gonna need a longer duration or something to fix things.

I guess the new rotation will revolve around getting enough set duration to blow Geirskogul and then build back up to keep Blood of the dragon from falling off. I'm thinking it might work something like Astral Fire/Umbral Ice.

It's nice to have an AoE buff ability for the party as well.

I guess we'll see what happens :x

Ayumi

3 more weeks until the Mac version! I can't waittttt.

I didn't bother with Boot Camp because Mac requires a different license. Would be a waste of money!

WolvenOne

Honestly, I'd love to see Phleb get a longer duration, if only to simplify the rotation a bit. I doubt it'll be necessary though. The skill speed available at sixty should make it possible to squeeze everything in without dots falling off.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That is provided stats won't just rescale which is a wise thing to do.

They did say there's gonna be more rebalancing to old abilities so maybe durations will be altered to fit new projected rotations. DRG rotation was getting too simple with positionals removal anyway.

Suffering is doing WoD and kicking the afk healer 5 times and each time he re-joins our party.

After the fifth time we just said fuck it and the other healer said "Fine we'll just carry your ass then." afk healer response? "Good I knew you'd see things my way."

Suffering is doing WoD and kicking the afk healer 5 times and each time he re-joins our party.

After the fifth time we just said fuck it and the other healer said "Fine we'll just carry your ass then." afk healer response? "Good I knew you'd see things my way."

I think if you wait to replenish members they will get matched into another group instead.

If you do it right away it's easy for them to get back in repeatedly.

The new Dragoon stuff is really going to mess with my keybindings lol. Its going to take a while to get used to depending on what the optimal rotation looks like.

Yeah, you're not joking. I mean unless they let you just set linear combros to one button so the two drg ones don't eat up 8 buttons on their own. Also going to need a buff for how long pleb and heavy thrust lasts depending on how the cycles look.

LEVEL 50!

now the real fun begins

The real fun was leveling and discovering the world.

Sophrosync

Neo Member
Is the Gilgamesh FC fairly active? Or more specifically are there any newish (lvl20 or less?) people on Gilg / in the FC that would like to team up?

When I started playing a couple weeks ago I was going to choose Ultros but my rl friend (the only one I know who plays ARR) said that I should join Gilg and that she'd level a new class alongside me. Well tonight she strongly suggested that she'll be going deep down the Heavensward hole later this month, which was a bit of an irksome bummer.

I totally would've picked Ultros from the get go if I'd known this was going to happen, and still may. Hearing the three or four of you that started recently too, I feel like the lonely kid outside the Gold Saucer watching all the happy kids cavort inside, lol.

The guildwork page for Vector Industries seems pretty dormant, but if there's a good strong community on Gilg I'd love to be a part of it. If not I'll probably just make my peace with that exorbitant server change cost and move on up sometime soon. :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is the Gilgamesh FC fairly active? Or more specifically are there any newish (lvl20 or less?) people on Gilg / in the FC that would like to team up?

When I started playing a couple weeks ago I was going to choose Ultros but my rl friend (the only one I know who plays ARR) said that I should join Gilg and that she'd level a new class alongside me. Well tonight she strongly suggested that she'll be going deep down the Heavensward hole later this month, which was a bit of an irksome bummer.

I totally would've picked Ultros from the get go if I'd known this was going to happen, and still may. Hearing the three or four of you that started recently too, I feel like the lonely kid outside the Gold Saucer watching all the happy kids cavort inside, lol.

The guildwork page for Vector Industries seems pretty dormant, but if there's a good strong community on Gilg I'd love to be a part of it. If not I'll probably just make my peace with that exorbitant server change cost and move on up sometime soon. :)
If you're under level 20 and Ultros is open, consider making a new character. You can get back up to 20 pretty quickly instead of dropping $18 on that transfer.

IvorB

It seriously sucks. And I actually feel like I am at the worst I have ever been in my life, but I'm counting on Final Fantasy XIV (and some online chats with ya'll), and some fitness center work to bring me back up.

Well, if any game can I reckon this one will. :)

The only thing we get for having Zeta in the expac, is an unlock to use all previous forms of the weapon as glamour. Zeta will not give any other advantage.

Really??? Is this confirmed??? :-(

Trolling, I assume.

Issou means they have a near 1000 potency hit in their opener (>1200 if they can use it on Trick Attack / Kassatsu'd Raiton). But, yeah, getting two seems ... a bit much. I dunno, I guess it gives them a niche at least of utility melee DPS.

One new Mudra would means like 7 new skills alone. Which ... would be kind of funny, actually.

I think they remembered they forgot those aspects in sneak/trick attack from XI Thief and added them back.

I think both are kinda useful for certain specific raid situations. Stacking threat on the tank can be super useful to give him aggro without having him move, example in T13 when there's a bunch of crap spawning, like say the 2nd set of eye dragon things(tbh I forgot all the names already), offtank goes to pick one up while at the same time ninja buff the offtank and raiton the other one, forcing it to move towards the tank instead of the healer and giving the tank a good starting threat on both to reposition correctly.

The other one seems most useful to drop on your WHM or whatever when they dont have shroud(or when they're full mana but need the threat dump) and adds are spawning when he needs to medica, such as a bunch of times on T13(like phase 2 adds after megas).

Both seem quite useful in any add situation in raids, you can do without but they'll make for much smoother transitions.

I guess it's kinda boring compared to some other changes though, especially since it feels very support oriented when most other DPS just get MOAR DEEPS.

Finally, and that's the most important part, think of the trolling potential. Put the no threat buff on the tank on pull, put the threat transfer on the dragoon so everyone laughs at him when he gets splat on his initial jump, the possibilities are infinite.

Can't agree more on that, End game activities feels like chores unfortunately.

I really haven't played an MMORPG where it wasn't true. That's not to say that I didn't have a lot of fun at caps, and generally spend 99% of my gametime there, but the fun I had there was less game caused and more community based. Know I am in the minority in my pov on this though, and generally mmorpg players now view leveling and travel as the trash filler content that you want to rush/ship to get to the real game.

Croyles

Urianger
51df77f7_Final-Fantasy-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Key-Ally-Urianger-Screenshot.jpg

Is voiced by this guy from Daredevil:

Random fact of the day.

iammeiam

Worried you won't be able to decisively choose between Catgirl Waifu and Catgirl 2.0 Dragongirl Waifu? Want the freedom to switch back and forth and decide which kind of tail looks best with the no pants you'll be wearing? Not sure which cutesy sound effect will best fit you in 3.0? (Do dragon girls have a 'nya' equivalent yet?) Good news! 5-packs of Fantasia are on sale so you can change your mind a lot.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cleared T12 on my second run with the first DF group I found without dying even once!
That was much easier than I expected.
Now to watch a few guides and try T13.

Worried you won't be able to decisively choose between Catgirl Waifu and Catgirl 2.0 Dragongirl Waifu? Want the freedom to switch back and forth and decide which kind of tail looks best with the no pants you'll be wearing? Not sure which cutesy sound effect will best fit you in 3.0? (Do dragon girls have a 'nya' equivalent yet?) Good news! 5-packs of Fantasia are on sale so you can change your mind a lot.

I wish they had like temporary fantasia for cheap, I made an alt on another server with my new appearance and ran around for a bit, but it's not really the same as seeing it with my current gear and in random cutscenes to see how it works out. If I end up not liking it I have to buy a fantasia to change again and who knows if I'll like that too. Meh.

Jayhawk

I see your end-game. You just want to win more fantasia bets.

iammeiam

I see your end-game. You just want to win more fantasia bets.

The only way Fantasia betting would be worth it for me at this point is if my winning prevented people from going Dragongirl for many months. They are going to be a plague and must be stopped.

(Really I'm just wondering who the target audience for a five-pack is; I just assume cat girls because they're generally the worst thing going at any given time.)

tmtyf

I got into one PvP match today.

I would like to play more but I can't make it a habit of waiting for an hour and a half (not an exaggeration) with no matches being found in queue.

Even worse than DPS queues which I didn't think was possible.

depending on the time of day it can get pretty bad. I queue for frontline instead of wolves den and it normally takes me about 20-30min to get a hit on average. I find that mornings its horrible and will take 1-2 hrs where in the evening anywhere from 5-30min.

The only way Fantasia betting would be worth it for me at this point is if my winning prevented people from going Dragongirl for many months. They are going to be a plague and must be stopped.

(Really I'm just wondering who the target audience for a five-pack is; I just assume cat girls because they're generally the worst thing going at any given time.)

People with a bunch of alts? So they can change ALL OF THEM to dragon-chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom