• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiaoki

Do you have high enough ilevel to get into World of Darkness? Can get yourself some i120 gear there. Or i100 gear in Syrcus Tower first. Both will also earn you sold and poetic tomes for more stuff.
Don't have the ilevel for ST yet.

Been running CT for Tomes because I've done CT 7 times and I haven't even seen a single piece of tank gear drop.

Was running Haukke HM for Tomes and gear but the high ilevel people running it for easy Tomes made me stop that.

I don't think people quite understand that Provoke is not like Taunt in WoW.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Because the items are being given on release day via mail, it's written somewhere in there. You just don't have to enter codes into anything, it's automatically linked.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I thought the preorder bonuses were already going out.

Found on Reddit. Read from right to left.

U9TGPT7.jpg

This is good.

WolvenOne

what the fuck, that's not a curve

its like meeting a bombshell on tinder and when you get to her place you find out she has sharp knees

those dungeons better give 300k+ per run, fuck outta here with this bullshit

Hmm, I suspect the curve is designed for people that haven't done the level 50 content yet. Going through the level 50 dungeuns and story mode trials probably gets players most the way to 51.

That begs the question though, what are the people whom have already done the level 50 content supposed to do. :/

Been running CT for Tomes because I've done CT 7 times and I haven't even seen a single piece of tank gear drop.

Was running Haukke HM for Tomes and gear but the high ilevel people running it for easy Tomes made me stop that.

It's very similar, just doesn't have the forced targetting for 2seconds or whatever it was in wow. Might have changed since I last played. That forced targetting doesn't make that much of a difference if you're undergeared, just that you can tank for 2seconds every 25secs or whatever the cooldown was.

Can't really do much about gear difference as a tank in 4man though. Just need to grind tomes until you can afford a sold weapon or something, though if you don't have the ilvl for ST, you might as well buy jewelry/belt first to get the ilvl for that.

Aselith

Got flash cross classed?

iammeiam

Hmm, I suspect the curve is designed for people that haven't done the level 50 content yet. Going through the level 50 dungeuns and story mode trials probably gets players most the way to 51.

That begs the question though, what are the people whom have already done the level 50 content supposed to do. :/

The content was absolutely designed with current players in mind, though. Yoshida's given interviews stating that story quest experience + exploration experience + hunting log + 1 or 2 runs of each of the new dungeons should be sufficient for somebody to get from 50 to 60.

I'm not really sweating the experience portion at this point; it's going to be easy enough to hit 60 that they think the more casual players will have it done in 2 weeks for Alex normal.

WolvenOne

The content was absolutely designed with current players in mind, though. Yoshida's given interviews stating that story quest experience + exploration experience + hunting log + 1 or 2 runs of each of the new dungeons should be sufficient for somebody to get from 50 to 60.

I'm not really sweating the experience portion at this point; it's going to be easy enough to hit 60 that they think the more casual players will have it done in 2 weeks for Alex normal.

Okay, if that's the case, maybe they just put that initial jump in there to prevent fresh 50s from hitting 52 or 53 before they've even started the Heavensward content.

Or something.

Teknoman

What server are you on? Do you have the higher level roulettes open for bonuses?

Xiaoki

It's very similar, just doesn't have the forced targetting for 2seconds or whatever it was in wow. Might have changed since I last played. That forced targetting doesn't make that much of a difference if you're undergeared, just that you can tank for 2seconds every 25secs or whatever the cooldown was.

Can't really do much about gear difference as a tank in 4man though. Just need to grind tomes until you can afford a sold weapon or something, though if you don't have the ilvl for ST, you might as well buy jewelry/belt first to get the ilvl for that.
Taunt forces the target to attack you and increases threat generation for 3 seconds on an 8 second cool down.

Provoke places you at the top of the target's threat table on a 40 second cool down.

Massive difference.

Yeah, I have the Soldiery neck and rings. But still need an upgrade or 2 to do the Ramuh story fight.

And, yeah, I have Flash. Not new to tanking, just don't have the gear.

SkyOdin

Taunt forces the target to attack you and increases threat generation for 3 seconds on an 8 second cool down.

Provoke places you at the top of the target's threat table on a 40 second cool down.

Massive difference.

Yeah, I have the Soldiery neck and rings. But still need an upgrade or 2 to do the Ramuh story fight.

First off, I'm sorry to hear that DPS have been being jerks to you. Dealing with the expectation of DF people can be tough at times. I don't really know what advice to give, since I've been tanking constantly for the life of 1.0 and haven't had to deal with being undergeared since 2.1.

You could try collecting a set of Slaying jewelry rather than Fending jewelry. The added damage can translate into more aggro. You will have lower hp than you do just from being undergeared, but healers have been gearing up too, and might be able to make up the difference so long as you don't get too in over your head at first.

If you really feel that you need the gear, you can farm the Main Scenario roulette. Just mooch off the other tank for a little while and collect Soldiery tomes. With enough of those, you can invest in Noct armor and either Noct or Gloam jewelry. That would let you get geared enough for most purposes. Alternatively, you could try the Hunt. Hunts drop both tomes and Allied Seals, both of which can be traded in for Soldiery gear. That entirely depends on whether or not hunts are still active on your server, but being undergeared won't impact your ability to do them if you join a hunt group.

Ideally, you should be able to get the gear you need from dungeons if the other people co-operated with you. This is where being part of a friendly FC would be a big help. I know that certain dungeons are item level synced to ilvl 110. If you run those dungeons, there would at least be a lower max difference between you and the DPS.

Now, another crazy plan would be to run PvP Frontlines. Item levels are capped at 80, and you can earn tomes just for participation. Not many, but it is something.

Massive difference.

8seconds? Damn I remember it being a lot longer than that. Maybe it was even, but haven't played since wotlk so that was a while ago.

Most of the threat/damage comes from your weapon anyway, so ultimately that's really the only slot that matters to upgrade if you want to be comfortable tanking. A soldiery weapon is probably good enough, but you need 1200solds and a ST drop for it so yeah. You can in theory buy a crafted weapon but they're fairly expensive so probably not worth it.

Kinda sucks but end of cycle, can't do much about it. They should probably make the lower tier weapon cheaper when they add a new tier though, like make the sold weapon 600solds instead or something. Would help catching up faster, since the weapon is often the issue with gearing back up.

Croyles

what the fuck, that's not a curve

its like meeting a bombshell on tinder and when you get to her place you find out she has sharp knees

those dungeons better give 300k+ per run, fuck outta here with this bullshit

I have a feeling the amount of exp you obtain will see a similarly sharp incline.

This may be to keep all levelling from 50-60 in the new areas.

Apoptomon

It's LB3 though, how often do you end up using a LB3 as a SMN.
When the NIN is dead, duh.
I think they should rework the 5mins thing... The current 5mins stuff is completely underwhelming, both in numbers and in style...
Not gonna lie, the expansions and changes to the current skillsets are probably the aspect of HW that I'm most interested in right now. RE: Summoner, the DoT focus certainly isn't helping it in terms of feeling powerful (because the damage occurs moreso behind-the-scenes whereas BLM/DRG are more up-front). I'm hoping that Dreadwyrm gives it a meatier burst skill 'feeling'. Also what Pyros said here ^ is definitely true of enkindle, so it's disappointing they haven't said anything about adjusting it (as far as I'm aware). On the other hand, hearing that we may be able to one day 'glamour' the egis? Mini-Ramuh all-day erry day.

Speaking of glamours, one of the community reps said this:
Zhexos said:
...You'll be pleased to know that the development team is currently looking into adding a function where the /visor state is saved as part of the gear set.

after over a week of straight raiding and extra work hours I finally get a day off everything tomorrow after our T9 Savage clear.

Time to finish levelling Dragoon I guess?

welp

Earning the huge freaking Dread claws makes me wonder when they will let us glamour away the gaudy knuckles and let us punch things with our bare hands.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How would I go about being re invited to the gaf fc on ultros. Char name: Arc Lionheart

If you were already approved on the Guildworks website the first time you joined just submit an application in game and mention that in the app.

Noi

Trying to step into Final Coil before 3.0. Finding a good PUG for T9 has been a real struggle though, most PF groups don't even make it past Golems consistently. By this point I know phases one through three as both MT and DPS like the back of my hand, but only ever get one full elemental cycle before the party crumbles.

At this rate I'll have to pray that Yoshi lets us bypass the level/party size restrictions for coil so I can do it with just four people at level 60.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Trying to step into Final Coil before 3.0. Finding a good PUG for T9 has been a real struggle though, most PF groups don't even make it past Golems consistently. By this point I know phases one through three as both MT and DPS like the back of my hand, but only ever get one full elemental cycle before the party crumbles.

At this rate I'll have to pray that Yoshi lets us bypass the level/party size restrictions for coil so I can do it with just four people at level 60.
Maybe try setting up a PF group? Those are usually much better than DF randoms.

Dunan

Despite all the bickering I enjoyed those discussions about the translation.

I think Koji Fox is doing a great job and am enjoying his work so much that during my last month I no longer even booted up the Japanese version very often. The faux-Elizabethan English is a style choice I'll gladly take over the serviceable, flavorless Japanese. Even ugly whiffs like whatever he turned Oeilvert into are more than made up for by all the hits he's had nearly everywhere else. FFXII and FFT: WotL are the only two SE games that reach this level, translation-wise. And here we're getting made-up beast languages that just add so much flavor and are clearly a labor of love. I can't wait to see what the dragons' language is like.

Let's just take the (very rare) bad with the (much more common) good.

Noi

Maybe try setting up a PF group? Those are usually much better than DF randoms.

PF is what I'm doing, as mentioned in the post. That's just about the only way I've ever gotten experience past Heavensfall.

Really, its just draining to have to deal with a fresh group of people in every attempt. Some of them know the fight but can't quite finish it, others have to rely on me being the only one who knows anything past golems. I'm starting to see the appeal behind paying for content clears, even if it's not something I'd do myself. I've heard/read that Final Coil I a lot easier/more fun than Second Coil, but this is a hell of a gateway to get to that point.

IvorB

Pugging T9 is f**ked up.

Despite all the bickering I enjoyed those discussions about the translation.

I think Koji Fox is doing a great job and am enjoying his work so much that during my last month I no longer even booted up the Japanese version very often. The faux-Elizabethan English is a style choice I'll gladly take over the serviceable, flavorless Japanese. Even ugly whiffs like whatever he turned Oeilvert into are more than made up for by all the hits he's had nearly everywhere else. FFXII and FFT: WotL are the only two SE games that reach this level, translation-wise. And here we're getting made-up beast languages that just add so much flavor and are clearly a labor of love. I can't wait to see what the dragons' language is like.

Let's just take the (very rare) bad with the (much more common) good.

To be honest I'm actually with Frumix on this. I don't speak Japanese but even I can hear how mismatched they are sometimes since I have the Japanese audio and the english text. The scene with Migarsmomr was pretty bad where the text is like: "HA HA HA HA HA HA" and he really wasn't laughing. That wouldn't be acceptable on a subtitled movie. I would prefer they just translate what they are saying rather than make a bunch of stuff up but it's a minor niggle for me and I don't notice it that often. It bothers me a lot more when I can understand some of the language that's being subtitled.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pugging T9 is f**ked up.

To be honest I'm actually with Frumix on this. I don't speak Japanese but even I can hear how mismatched they are sometimes since I have the Japanese audio and the english text. The scene with Migarsmomr was pretty bad where the text is like: "HA HA HA HA HA HA" and he really wasn't laughing. That wouldn't be acceptable on a subtitled movie. I would prefer they just translate what they are saying rather than make a bunch of stuff up but it's a minor niggle for me and I don't notice it that often. It bothers me a lot more when I can understand some of the language that's being subtitled.

There is a difference between translation and localization.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
PF is what I'm doing, as mentioned in the post. That's just about the only way I've ever gotten experience past Heavensfall.

Really, its just draining to have to deal with a fresh group of people in every attempt. Some of them know the fight but can't quite finish it, others have to rely on me being the only one who knows anything past golems. I'm starting to see the appeal behind paying for content clears, even if it's not something I'd do myself. I've heard/read that Final Coil I a lot easier/more fun than Second Coil, but this is a hell of a gateway to get to that point.
Man, had I known you were looking I would have tried to help back when I was on Hyperion. I can try asking some friends there to see if they can help you if you'd like.
It's full of Gil buyers and kinda insular.
How so? The server as a whole?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Ah, sorry for that, I was a bit tired after the run and mixed PF with DF/CF.
I've heard some people actually check Lodestone profiles of the members wanting to join the party to see if they haven the achievement for clearing the boss, but I guess that might be weird since you haven't done it yourself.

dramatis

Yeah fair enough. I guess I would prefer a translation to a localisation but it is what it is I guess.
For this game in particular though, how do you know it wasn't written in English first and then translated to Japanese? That the Japanese is what doesn't match the English, rather than the opposite?

For this game in particular though, how do you know it wasn't written in English first and then translated to Japanese? That the Japanese is what doesn't match the English, rather than the opposite?

Because only the english differs? Though I don't really know about the german translation but iirc the french translation is a lot more literal and takes less liberties. I should probably review some of the cutscenes to check.

I don't think it's an issue really, and overall the english translation is very good, it's just there's a bit(or a lot) of a disconnect when hearing the japanese VA with english subtitles.

dramatis

Because only the english differs? Though I don't really know about the german translation but iirc the french translation is a lot more literal and takes less liberties. I should probably review some of the cutscenes to check.

I don't think it's an issue really, and overall the english translation is very good, it's just there's a bit(or a lot) of a disconnect when hearing the japanese VA with english subtitles.
It's equally possible that the Japanese version is what their translators for French/German worked off of. In SE Japan job listings they look for Japanese/German or Japanese/French, not English/German or English/French. Granted, they probably know English too (that's a bit presumptuous though probably).

I went and looked up the credits for FF14: ARR anyway, and the Main Scenario Writer and the World Lore Creators are all Japanese, so fair enough. I ended up marveling at how Yoshihisa Hashimoto got top billing in the Main Development Staff section as Technical Director. He's not even at Square anymore but he is probably the reason they got a functional engine up and going so well for 14. Too bad they hemorrhaged him from Luminous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom