• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
I know I have one retainer with a bunch of "dead" space ie when I was first leveling in this game, I saved a bunch of junk that I thought might matter one day, it didn't. Now is as good a time as any to dump garbage.

Edit: Also, have to do the most important thing of all. Find a sexy glamour outfit to welcome my Au Ra into Heavensward.

I left my guild on the siren server because of all the bullshit that was happening.

1. guild leader didn't want me posting ff11 stuff on the guilds facebook page, but the weird eccentric things were ok (i.e, roleplaying, gay stuff in which IRL men were playing as girls and were doing kissing etc). I was fine with that, but not having me post ff11 stuff while other things were posted, i have zero tolerance for that .

2. New people who were getting recruited were immediately getting geared with dreadwyrm equipment, and people who were in the guild longer and have done significant things for the guild weren't getting squat (I myself bought the medium house for the guild, loaned gil to folks etc.)

Anyways, my primary grievance was the first issue, the second one I just used that as rationalization to support my leave. The guild leader even had the audacity to fb message me "you did know I was being sarcastic" - I didn't reply.

I replied to one member who immediately FB messaged me 'why'd you leave man", it was mostly due to him noticing I wrecked my room in the house and then left the FC immediately. Cool guy, he was also our best tank

As a man, I never go back on things that I've done and when I do things, my decision is final.

Just venting and looking for solace...

RK9039

I left my guild on the siren server because of all the bullshit that was happening.

1. guild leader didn't want me posting ff11 stuff on the guilds facebook page, but the weird eccentric things were ok (i.e, roleplaying, gay stuff in which IRL men were playing as girls and were doing kissing etc). I was fine with that, but not having me post ff11 stuff while other things were posted, wow.

2. New people who were getting recruited were immediately getting geared with dreadwyrm equipment, and people who were in the guild longer and have done significant things for the guild weren't getting squat (I myself bought the medium house for the guild, loaned gil to folks etc.)

Anyways, my primary grievance was the first issue, the second one I just used that as rationalization to support my leave. The guild leader even had the audacity to fb message me "you did know I was being sarcastic" - I didn't reply.

I replied to one member who immediately FB messaged me 'why'd you leave man", it was mostly due to him noticing I wrecked my room in the house and then left the FC immediately. Cool guy, he was also our best tank

As a man, I never go back on things that I've done and when I do things, my decision is final.

Just venting and looking for solace...

That's your ninja way, that's cool.

gryvan

Wait, was this confirmed? This is pretty dumb, we're at 23/25 slots now with the new jobs. Some pieces/slots will get shared but for main weapon or AF2 gear that doesn't work.

I'm assuming it's because in HW we can only specialize up to 3 DoH that they decided we don't need it and expect us to trash the other Doh armor and weapon

Pachimari

I'm gonna start up this tonight as well, starting over with a whole new character at lvl. 1.

Are there any others who's new to this or gonna play from the beginning, besides me, Sora_N, Stimpack and Enter the Dragon Punch?

iammeiam

I've made multiple attempts at freeing up retainer space, but glamour, bait, crafting mats (especially food!), and needing to have items with names for every letter of the alphabet has made it a constant struggle.

That's your ninja way, that's cool.

He said "doing kissing" then got banned before I could ask if he was actually one of the Little Rascals.

This is the worst.

Tiops

Got my DRG to 50 yesterday. Then we get a combo finisher and another Jump, making me have to reorganize my entire cross-bar (I play on PC with a Xbox 360 controller).

Practiced my new, fucking giant rotation on a dummy to check things and went straight to WoD. I think I messed up my rotation 90% of the time, mainly because I pressed wrong buttons in my new totally modified crossbar layout but also because I got lost in the middle of the rotation (like clipping DoTs or letting HT expire). At Cloud of Darkness I was doing a little better, but I think I need some quality time on a striking dummy before I can do the whole rotation with oGCDs correctly in a fight.

And I can understand that lolDRG moments, sometimes it seems the AI waits for you to jump before it puts that AOE marker on the ground exactly in the place where you'll land.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
And I can understand that lolDRG moments, sometimes it seems the AI waits for you to jump before it puts that AOE marker on the ground exactly in the place where you'll land.

Nothing is as bad as pulling a Renaud with DFD the second it spawns.

scy

Oh dear, PS3 forever now. get hyped

I've made multiple attempts at freeing up retainer space, but glamour, bait, crafting mats (especially food!), and needing to have items with names for every letter of the alphabet has made it a constant struggle.

and a billion vowels

He said "doing kissing" then got banned before I could ask if he was actually one of the Little Rascals.

This is the worst.

I understood this reference.

BadRNG

Circle of scoooorn. Renauds are dicks.

That's still not confirmed. The translation is already confirmed to be a mistranslation.
Well that sucks. I should start reading these articles straight up more often rather than relying on summaries and the like.

But then I'd have to not be lazy...hm...

Paprikka

Someone on Reddit compiling a list of common-sense tips for existing long-term players to prep for HW

If they're to be believed, capping rested EXP from 0 requires halting all leveling as of 2AMPDT tonight/tomorrow morning.

I really should log in in the next couple of days and free up a ton of inventory and retainer space.

Something he didn't mention is the challenge log, you'll want to avoid completing anything that gives xp that week before Friday. You can get them so you're one step away from completion, but the xp they give is based on level so the higher level you are before finishing the better.

Silvard

Hey guys, I've been slowly buying back into the hype of this game (reading about the gold saucer and triple triad and whatnot, and other content additions) and I decided to preorder Heavensward, and get back into the game again (especially since I hear it's getting a Mac edition, so I'd be able to play it on my laptop as well as my PS4).

But here's my predicament, I haven't played in almost 2 years. I only played for a couple of months back at launch and leveled a few classes, including crafting ones, but none of them past level 30 IIRC. I tried getting back again when the PS4 version was released, but since I was totally lost and none of my bars or macros were set up I didn't last very long.

I'm not exactly sure where I am, what I've missed, what I've already done or what I should be doing. I think I'm on Ultros but I have never been in the GAF LS, since I wasn't a GAF member when I played.

Anyway, can anyone be so kind as to help me get my bearings so I can go right into enjoying the game again?

iammeiam

Wait. I heard that too, but I understood it to be the reason why ARR never got any more armoury space. I could be wrong and if I am I blame Drama.

From PAX interview:
Reddit: With addition with new jobs in Heavensward, player inventories and armory chest space will start to suffer. Any plans to increase storage space, perhaps with quests similar to Final Fantasy XI or something along those lines?
Yoshida: First and foremost we've heard this question asked multiple times around the world and we want to mention that in Final Fantasy XIV just the sheer volume of the character data and the number of items each character can hold is much greater than that of a typical MMO. The reason why we can’t increase the size of the armory chest quickly or easily relates to how often we rewrite the data into the servers in the back end. We rewrite the data every fifteen seconds so even if the server goes down you don’t experience a rollback. Of course with the sheer volume of the character data when you expand the armory chest the amount of load that goes into the rewriting and refreshing of the back end servers would increase and we’re trying to keep it as quick as possible. We currently have it at fifteen seconds but if we were to add more load to it then it may make it take longer to do that refresh and it may delay to thirty seconds, one minute, fifteen minutes. We don’t want to take away from the player experience. We don’t want things to slow down because we’re expanding the armory chest. We’re researching ways in which we can make that happen. We need more time to make that happen. We’re not saying it’s impossible but your patience would be appreciated as we try to figure out a way to optimize the process so that it won’t take away from the speed and affect playability or the player’s experience. We are trying to implement something that can be addressed quicker which is increasing the number of retainers. So in the mean time we if you are using things within the game fairly frequently you may want to utilize the expanded retainer capabilities.

They're not directly calling out PS3, but this is them responding to requests for armory space for more classes with retainer promises.

scy

I'm not exactly sure where I am, what I've missed, what I've already done or what I should be doing.

Well, you're pretty much just in the boat of needing to do all the Main Story Quests, especially since it's required for the expansion content anyway. Their quest icons are marked differently and they lead you around the world basically on an intended leveling rout so it's all directed for you.

Edit: Thinking about it, if you played at launch launch and not ARR launch, I'm not entirely sure how that works questline wise if you're just now returning.

Sorian

Banned
From PAX interview:

They're not directly calling out PS3, but this is them responding to requests for armory space for more classes with retainer promises.

To be fair, I'm fine with them upping that refresh time to a minute. If the servers ever explode and my character gets rolled back by a minute, 99% of the time it's going to be an "oh well" from me. Yes, it could happen just as you get that shiny new weapon from the current hardest raid but the stars would have to align for that one to go down.

I too need to clear out my retainers and inventory. I had done a quick clear of most of the garbage monster drops and common mats a few months back before taking my break, but I still need to sort some of that stuff out. I'll probably keep the crafting materials though so I can craft leveling gear for the new classes. Which I probably should start doing too at some point, but it takes an insane amount of slots for the 3classes so I'll probably only do AST stuff first.

My inventory are still filled with crafting stuff. Like 3bags of the common crafting stuff I used, which I somehow have to find room for on my crafting retainer, which has like 5slots free.

If we get a new retainer though it's nice I can just dump everything on it and sort once I'm 60.

Have everything else more or less ready.

WolvenOne

To be fair, I'm fine with them upping that refresh time to a minute. If the servers ever explode and my character gets rolled back by a minute, 99% of the time it's going to be an "oh well" from me. Yes, it could happen just as you get that shiny new weapon from the current hardest raid but the stars would have to align for that one to go down.

I'd start with 30. Saving data on the backend every 15 seconds seems like a bit of overkill; especially given how infrequent it is for servers to outright crash.

Sorian

Banned
I too need to clear out my retainers and inventory. I had done a quick clear of most of the garbage monster drops and common mats a few months back before taking my break, but I still need to sort some of that stuff out. I'll probably keep the crafting materials though so I can craft leveling gear for the new classes. Which I probably should start doing too at some point, but it takes an insane amount of slots for the 3classes so I'll probably only do AST stuff first.

My inventory are still filled with crafting stuff. Like 3bags of the common crafting stuff I used, which I somehow have to find room for on my crafting retainer, which has like 5slots free.

If we get a new retainer though it's nice I can just dump everything on it and sort once I'm 60.

Have everything else more or less ready.

I get the sneaking suspicion that the 3 new jobs are going to be kept well geared during their job storylines.

LtOrange

Is there an easy way to organize my inventory? My bags and retainer are a total mess. A command to auto stack would be amazing.

Item Box

That lightning quest is staying right there in my quest log. I have hope that she will return...again

Is there an easy way to organize my inventory? My bags and retainer are a total mess. A command to auto stack would be amazing.

right click inside the inventory window -> sort

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
getting close to deciding to plan some vacation days around HW. Question is, just go with the Thursday/Friday (assuming early access isn't bunked), or the beginning of the following week (letting me also play some Batman and Planetside 2).

Ahh, I see early access isn't till Friday, so I know what to do now.
You have a 100 main story quests to do at 50.

Geeez, having the 2.1-2.5 updates spread out over a long period of time, made me forget how much story stuff takes place after fighting Ultima.

WolvenOne

Better shell out that extra monthly dosh for a new retainer

I'm considering doing just that. I just need to decide whether I want to eliminate my ability to create alts in order to pay for an extra retainer, or not.

Higher tier sub really should include an extra retainer. :p

I get the sneaking suspicion that the 3 new jobs are going to be kept well geared during their job storylines.

That's possible, but it's not like crafting armor sets for 30 and 40 is going to cost me a whole lot anyway. Don't need to upgrade armor every 5levels, 50 I get soldiery/poetics/dreadwyrm/whatever and don't need all the lower levels stuff since the classes start at 30 and I can't do the weapons in advance, so really it's like 2 sets of armor and one set of jewelry(cause the scaling sucks so no reason to upgrade until 50). And I have a lot of lower level materials anyway. If it's useless I can just desynth everything and get some of the mats back too.

Silvard

Well, you're pretty much just in the boat of needing to do all the Main Story Quests, especially since it's required for the expansion content anyway. Their quest icons are marked differently and they lead you around the world basically on an intended leveling rout so it's all directed for you.

Edit: Thinking about it, if you played at launch launch and not ARR launch, I'm not entirely sure how that works questline wise if you're just now returning.

Nah I played at ARR launch. Can I restart the main quest in somehow? I remember that I leveled lancer to about 30, going about the main quest (but I don't remember anything that happened until then) and then went back to starting zones to do side quests and levequests to level other jobs and craft (I was really obsessed with making my own gear, but that was a massive grind that burned me out) and make money. But gosh I'm so lost :S

Tiops

I did that when I was tanking. Circle of Scorn just as the Renaud spawned. Main tanks have one fucking job in T7, but we still can mess things badly :(

Well, before nerfs. Now it's just a big guy with a foam club.

WolvenOne

I did that when I was tanking. Circle of Scorn just as the Renaud spawned. Main tanks have one fucking job in T7, but we still can mess things badly :(

Well, before nerfs. Now it's just a big guy with a foam club.

Oh, oh no, the flashbacks, they're happening agaaaaaaaaain! D:

cEOG7nGA7448M.gif

suzu

Nah I played at ARR launch. Can I restart the main quest in somehow? I remember that I leveled lancer to about 30, going about the main quest (but I don't remember anything that happened until then) and then went back to starting zones to do side quests and levequests to level other jobs and craft (I was really obsessed with making my own gear, but that was a massive grind that burned me out) and make money. But gosh I'm so lost :S

If you see this
40px-Mainquest1_Icon.png
icon -- those are main scenario/story quests.

If you're a level 30 lancer and haven't job changed yet to dragoon, go do that at the lancer guild. You should be able to check your quest journal to see where you left off in the main scenario quests.

Here's a list of level locked content that might be useful.

BadRNG

I'm considering doing just that. I just need to decide whether I want to eliminate my ability to create alts in order to pay for an extra retainer, or not.

Higher tier sub really should include an extra retainer. :p
If you know you are going to be playing for awhile, the 6month standard sub is same monthly rate as the 1 character entry sub.

Can't restart it without a new character, but you can watch old cutscenes at an inn/look at completed quests in your journal. They give summaries of what happened in each quest, and you can use it to track down where the next MQ is if you don't know where to pick it up.

Silvard

If you see this
40px-Mainquest1_Icon.png
icon -- those are main scenario/story quests.

If you're a level 30 lancer and haven't job changed yet to dragoon, go do that at the lancer guild. You should be able to check your quest journal to see where you left off in the main scenario quests.

Here's a list of level locked content that might be useful.

Sounds great, thanks. I think I was leveling the other class required for dragoon at the time, I think marauder? I'm not sure. It's slowly coming back to me.

Is there anyway I can get a summary of the story up to the point I am at? I think I remember being able to check cutscenes in my inn room. Edit: Post above me answered this already.

Also, is there anything I've missed by not playing these past two years? Or is everything revisi...ta...ble?

Sounds great, thanks. I think I was leveling the other class required for dragoon at the time, I think marauder? I'm not sure. It's slowly coming back to me.

Is there anyway I can get a summary of the story up to the point I am at? I think I remember being able to check cutscenes in my inn room. Edit: Post above me answered this already.

Also, is there anything I've missed by not playing these past two years? Or is everything revisi...ta...ble?

you missed special events that drop vanity gear/items but that's about it. You can technically buy those items from the cash shop.

Pachimari

Silvard, would you mind adding me as a friend? I'm also just coming back after a long absence and don't remember much, so I have made a new character now that I'm on PC also.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I need to clean out my older retainer's stuff but her inventory is full and will be hell to clean out because I always think. "what if I level another class? Wasted gold!"

Yea, I just purged my retainer of reserved gear for alt classes. Figure I would just get plenty of loot through dungeon runs anyway. Even then, I have so much post-game stuff left to do on my main job even before the expansion, that it really feels like dead weight for a class I may never bother playing.

Then again, I have zero need for the GC marks I keep turning in to free up space as well. It's a lose-lose situation. I guess I can try and play the markets buying reagents with those marks...the gold can go back to equipment for my alt when needed I suppose.

Silvard

you missed special events that drop vanity gear/items but that's about it. You can technically buy those items from the cash shop.

All of them? I'm kind of neurotic about that kind of stuff. I remember there being an event some time after I quit where Lightning was around and you could get armor based on hers. It drove me nuts knowing I wouldn't have it, despite me not playing the game anymore at that point.

Silvard, would you mind adding me as a friend? I'm also just coming back after a long absence and don't remember much, so I have made a new character now that I'm on PC also.

Of course! I'm Master Silvard on Ultros, I'll also be rediscovering the game so the more the merrier!

BadRNG

Load faster than drama with this

All of them? I'm kind of neurotic about that kind of stuff. I remember there being an event some time after I quit where Lightning was around and you could get armor based on hers. It drove me nuts knowing I wouldn't have it, despite me not playing the game anymore at that point.
Not all of them (yet). Sure more will be added over time. For the FFXIII items Lightning has already returned twice since her first event, wouldn't be surprised if we see a fourth go around at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom