• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

Which isn't going to be every movement--parses showing autoattacks as a giant chunk of damage aren't really conclusive, we'd need to see the difference in autoattack DPS from the same person on the same fight locked on vs not to gauge real DPS loss.
I think it's pretty conclusive. It just shows that more movement and less facing is going to lead to lower dps even if your rotation is solid. How much of it is, of course, up for debate, which I know is what you're saying. You can move between auto attacks, just like BLM can move between casts, and not skip a beat. The only thing I was saying really is that auto attacks do account for a large chunk of dps, and if you are willingly missing auto attacks for any reason other than surviving, then you're just flat out doing it wrong - be it from not enough accuracy, to running homing missiles in t8, to dropping meteors, the idea is that you should always try to move in a way to keep your auto attacks up.

I should also add I'm primarily thinking of this from a bard point of view. Melee dps is a bit more "whatever" since you're either in melee range or you ain't to dodge stuff.

creid

Honestly, I feel like there's not a really good solution to this for pad players. Left stick click is lock/unlock by default and it's easy to accidentally click when moving to deal with a mechanic. I might try to switch auto-run to L3 and lock-on to L1 when coil unlocks and practice up that way and see if it improves my numbers at all.
Try moving lock-on button to R3. I'm pretty happy with it since I never accidentally click it (unlike L3.) The only drawback is that R3 also seems to be a hard-coded "get off your mount" button, but this is only sometimes an inconvenience when you're out on the map somewhere.

IvorB

Soooo... I recorded the doomed enterprise of last weekend to kill Cuca Ferra without cannons AKA The Binding Coil of Cuca Ferra. It was myself, Hamam, Akh Morn, Xtech and shout out to Angry who was on our first attempt. Usual disclaimers apply: sorry for any sloppy play etc etc. This was a nightmare trying to target on pad.

The Binding Coil of Cuca Ferra.

iammeiam

^-The anti-non-BLM discrimination. Maybe I'm useless in cannonless Cuca Fera, but I tanked the shit out of that first boss.

The only thing I was saying really is that auto attacks do account for a large chunk of dps, and if you are willingly missing auto attacks for any reason other than surviving, then you're just flat out doing it wrong - be it from not enough accuracy, to running homing missiles in t8, to dropping meteors, the idea is that you should always try to move in a way to keep your auto attacks up.

I should also add I'm primarily thinking of this from a bard point of view. Melee dps is a bit more "whatever" since you're either in melee range or you ain't to dodge stuff.

Mehhhh, my objection is more to the quote that sparked the whole thing with lack of lock-on being a gigantic deal. Yes, doing things so that you attack more means you'll do more damage overall, but my guess is that the percentage of skipped autoattacks will add up to less DPS loss than a bunch of other things the hypothetical dungeon 'bad' is doing wrong.

I mean, especially from a bard perspective, movement is a thing but you'll generally never need to be in constant motion (the only fight I can think of I'm in motion most of the time in is Ramuh HM, and that is only because I like locking on and spending the whole fight doing laps), and face target on attacks will keep you pointed at the boss most of the time. I'd guess melee actually suffers more because positionals will force them to spend non-dodge time in motion.

Lock-on is like DPS strats 401, IMO, and like the literal last thing players should work on (not that they shouldn't, just--get all your other rotation shit worked out first, then work on lock-on as a finale.)

Valor

Lock-on is like DPS strats 401, IMO, and like the literal last thing players should work on (not that they shouldn't, just--get all your other rotation shit worked out first, then work on lock-on as a finale.)

I completely agree with you about this. It's like the icing on the cake, I guess. Where the cake is like... a dps pizza or something. I'm not sure. Pizzacake.

iammeiam

I completely agree with you about this. It's like the icing on the cake, I guess. Where the cake is like... a dps pizza or something. I'm not sure. Pizzacake.

Lock on is the corn on the DPS Garden Pizza.

Not using macros is the cheese.

Cross-class skills is the sauce.

Not standing in shit is the crust.

Secondary itemization is the peas.

I LIKE THIS COMPARISON.

I LIKE THIS COMPARISON.

the peas and corn will go straight through some ppl though. others are lactose intolerant

IvorB

^-The anti-non-BLM discrimination. Maybe I'm useless in cannonless Cuca Fera, but I tanked the shit out of that first boss.

Indeed. That was grand too but it only occurred to me to record much later. I'll never look at that dungeon the same...

I LIKE THIS COMPARISON.

What manner of pizza is this? Where's the meat???

Dunan

This is the original reason I even went out to find a parser. I was switching to DPS and didn't want to be absolutely terrible and there's no real metric for good or bad DPS without it. Coming from being a tank, it was pretty much "did boss murder our dudes?" that I had to check off; everything after that was "extra." For DPS it's less obvious.

Is there a way of seeing your DPS figure on a PS4? I admit to being a terrible player and want to get better, but I have no idea how much damage I'm doing.

Teknoman

I was just jesting. =)

No I will definitely ask gaf first whenever I run it, this is honestly the first piece of content I can actually do that with. Plus I've been seeing gaf helping people all week with dungeon runs, they're great. Pretty soon I'll be asking every day for help with some sort of primal fight or relic run. Assuming anyone is even left with Bloodborne/the wait for Heavensward.

Please do. In such a story centric MMORPG, it kills me that people force new people to skip cutscenes. That stuff burned me up back in XI and even more so now since there isnt a timer to worry about before the fight actually starts.

And yes, Bloodborne is taking everyones time lol. Friday-Saturday nights are best though, since those are designated help nights for people to get together and overcome challenges/whatever.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The idea of locking on as a gamepad dragoon makes me laugh. Adding L3 to my button rotation = no thanks. You automatically /facetarget whenever you use an ability anyways, and only aren't facing the target when you're dodging mechanics, which is heavily restricted by locking on. That seems like another dumb, elitist thing for people to trot out to pretend like they're better than others, like legacy hotkeys instead of QWER in Dota 2.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
you.

giphy.gif

#banned

WolvenOne

The idea of locking on as a gamepad dragoon makes me laugh. Adding L3 to my button rotation = no thanks. You automatically /facetarget whenever you use an ability anyways, and only aren't facing the target when you're dodging mechanics, which is heavily restricted by locking on. That seems like another dumb, elitist thing for people to trot out to pretend like they're better than others, like legacy hotkeys instead of QWER in Dota 2.

You miss the occasional auto-attack when you aren't locked on. Takes some getting used to, but it makes a difference.

studyguy

No one is forcing people to do it, but no one should say AA is negligible either if you're trying for maximum DPS.

If you want to do as much damage as utterly possible then it requires you face the target as long as possible. That's basically it and lock on allows for this. If you don't want to do it then sure. If you want to edge out more DPS though, this is a way.

I will say Bards who don't face the target are objectively bad. You have no excuse.

IMBored

I LIKE THIS COMPARISON.

I'm glad I'm a bad dps then. That seems like the worse pizza.

iammeiam

Nooooo... I barely DRG and I've auto attacked when shifting positions due to lock on--if you're going from flank to rear or vice versa there's a small window where you're potentially missing AA. It's not huge, but it's there and worth knowing as part of... Like... Things to work on when you've mastered everything else. Turning lockon on and off takes practice and isn't necessarily worth it while learning--and you can do adequate DPS without it--but the concept isn't laughable.

You can have DPS Pizza without corn, it's just better with it.

(Come at me, superior pizza haters.)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/special/2_5_Before_the_Fall/#patch

A great wyrm's roar echoes through the skies of Coerthas, calling all dragonkind to war. The Gates of Judgement, Ishgard's outermost defenses, now come under attack. With the city's very survival in the balance, can the Scions of the Seventh Dawn rally the Eorzean Alliance─or is the Holy See doomed to fall?

Steps of Faith

The Steps of Faith─the sole means of approaching the city of Ishgard. As well as providing passage across the Sea of Clouds, this great stone bridge also serves to anchor the series of arcane wards known as Daniffen's Collar.

Long has the Holy See relied upon these barriers to shield the city from Dravanian assault, but it did not foresee the brazen attack that would take place at the Gates of Judgement. The outermost layer of protection has been dispelled, allowing the mighty dragon Vishap to land upon the far end of the Steps of Faith. Leading an army of lesser kin, the massive creature is intent on destroying the exposed foundations of the remaining wards. Take up position alongside the Temple Knights, and defend the structure from the ravaging forces of the Horde!

scy

You automatically /facetarget whenever you use an ability anyways, and only aren't facing the target when you're dodging mechanics, which is heavily restricted by locking on.

This has nothing to do with skill use and everything about auto-attacks. That's ~35% of your damage, give or take, that is simply down to how often you're looking at the boss. I play with KB+M so I just manually circle strafe but that doesn't somehow invalidate lock-on as being something valuable.

It's less about lock-on itself and more about recognizing how important auto-attacks are to your damage and to take measures to minimize losing uptime on them.

Tabris

I don't lock on as Dragoon and my DPS is good. You can minimize the impact if you know it's an issue. I guess part of the problem is that I needed someone to point it out to me in the first place.

Honestly, I feel like there's not a really good solution to this for pad players. Left stick click is lock/unlock by default and it's easy to accidentally click when moving to deal with a mechanic. I might try to switch auto-run to L3 and lock-on to L1 when coil unlocks and practice up that way and see if it improves my numbers at all.

Yup, so you remove anything from L3 and instead place Lock-on+Sheathe/Unsheathe (there's a command that does both, when targeting it locks on, when not targeting, it unsheathes/sheathes) on R3. That's what I do. I play on controller just fine.

Well, in that case, I would be very pleased if, when playing the game with other Gaffers, someone who is parsing could tell me my DPS stat. A plate of Braised Pipira to anyone who does me the favor!

you can have someone parse you as you do your rotation on a dummy. obviously it won't be the same as in a dungeon, but is a good way to get a gauge on where you're at

Hystzen

Let Ishgard burn the Giraffe Pope is chilling with Ascians and is a chump by pulling out of war with Empire.

Nanamo is so being killed by the lala mafia who want Omega

TheMan

picked this up over the weekend since it was on sale at BB for 23 bucks. It's my first MMO, and so far it's a lot of fun. I didn't do enough research and went with a Conjurer, even though my intent was to be a black mage. Still, I haven't felt this enamored with a final fantasy title since XII.

iammeiam

What the fuck is wrong with you.

Currently? That this thread made me want pizza for lunch and the only pizza close by is Mod so I had to settle for a Lucy Sunshine which lacks both peas and corn.
It's cool though because it has artichokes.
Also that I cant pick it up for another 45 minutes. I blame you.

I hope it's a super difficult trial. Worthy of a final battle before 3.0

In a perfect world it'd launch with an EX mode--Chrysalis kind of discouraged people, so I don't imagine we'll see much that's more difficult and mandatory.

I guess I'd be happy with Chrysalis-tier design, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Currently? That this thread made me want pizza for lunch and the only pizza close by is Mod so I had to settle for a Lucy Sunshine which lacks both peas and corn.
It's cool though because it has artichokes.
Also that I cant pick it up for another 45 minutes. I blame you.

I thought you were cool. you disgust me now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom