• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

What was this thread about? Scrubby pizza?
confused-10.gif

BadRNG

Better, now the circuit is complete so we can go back around the circle again with the argument of how you make fun of it but have yet to do it.
I think you misunderstand, I make fun of Tabris and his high horse. The particular horse in this case happens to be the belief that doing content that is eight months old while massively outgearing it somehow means he's super pro and everyone else is beneath him. It's not serious progression at this point, at least not in the way he's implying. A new player clearing T9 for the first time is progression for them and (assuming they weren't heavily carried) still a challenge, but it ain't what it was, and anyone who tries to show off about that would be rightly mocked.

We did T6 savage in like two lockouts, that's similar or faster than the world first groups. We are obviously no where near their level. I'm not "making fun of savage coil", I'm making fun of the idea that it's anywhere near the difficulty it once was or warrants the ego or defensiveness.

Sorian

Banned
I think you misunderstand, I make fun of Tabris and his high horse. The particular horse in this case happens to be the belief that doing content that is eight months old while massively outgearing it somehow means he's super pro and everyone else is beneath him. It's not serious progression at this point, at least not in the way he's implying. A new player clearing T9 for the first time is progression for them and (assuming they weren't heavily carried) still a challenge, but it ain't what it was, and anyone who tries to show off about that would be rightly mocked.

We did T6 savage in like two lockouts, that's similar or faster than the world first groups. We are obviously no where near their level. I'm not "making fun of savage coil", I'm making fun of the idea that it's anywhere near the difficulty it once was or warrants the ego or defensiveness.

You're doing an improper comparison here though. You are talking savage coil 6 and he is talking savage coil 8. Gear can outlevel 6, gear doesn't really have much of an effect on 8. I'm all for knocking people off their high horse too but you have to do it correctly.

Grats on wasting your time differently than someone else

If you're going to put it that way, we're all wasting our time. I only bring it up because I don't like the mentality savage coil creates, so that's why I talk down about it. My static was fine and everyone was nice and relaxing progressing in final coil, but once we started doing savage, attitudes changed and they became egotistical assholes.

edit: see above

scy

You are talking savage coil 6 and he is talking savage coil 8. Gear can outlevel 6, gear doesn't really have much of an effect on 8.

This isn't entirely true; many of the mechanics in T6S will still be awful to deal with regardless of gear level. What gear does do is reduce the amount of time you'll have to deal with the mechanics (P1 in 1 rotation, P2 in 2).

This is very much still the case for T8S where you can remove 1-2 sets of towers from having to be dealt with. The T8S mechanics are harder, sure, but the gear is still relevant in similar ways by decreasing group maintenance (better mitigation, better heal per cast) and decreasing overall fight time.

Sorian

Banned
If you're going to put it that way, we're all wasting our time. I only bring it up because I don't like the mentality savage coil creates, so that's why I talk down about it. My static was fine and everyone was nice and relaxing progressing in final coil, but once we started doing savage, attitudes changed and they became egotistical assholes.

I doubt anyone became an egotistical asshole. They probably already were and your mind set didn't change with them because you didn't care about savage to begin with.

I doubt anyone became an egotistical asshole. They probably already were and your mind set didn't change with them because you didn't care about savage to begin with.

I would disagree, but it could be the case. If the former was true they were pretty good at hiding it until we started savage, once we did, they said fuck mechanics trying to maximize their leet deeps which just led to endless wipes in all content

BadRNG

You're doing an improper comparison here though. You are talking savage coil 6 and he is talking savage coil 8. Gear can outlevel 6, gear doesn't really have much of an effect on 8. I'm all for knocking people off their high horse too but you have to do it correctly.
You don't think all that extra hp and damage helps? Not at all? It makes the aoe damage tower easier. It makes mines easier. It makes killing dread and the boss itself easier. It reduces the impact of the -HP tower. You have to deal with less towers in general as fight is over faster. Outgearing content is possible without completely trivializing it. No amount of gear will save you from one shot mechanics like twisters, divebombs, and the dozens of other mechanics of it's ilk. (The extra gear won't save you if you ignore the mechanics of T6savage either by the way)

You can't seriously think it's the same challenge that it was. I don't even get why you'd try and defend otherwise, I get the impression your ego isn't so tied up in such pointless things based on your past posts. Obviously Tabris is already too far gone at this point.

Tabris

The damage tower was never a big deal whether i110 or i130 HP by itself. It's the combination with Allagan Field. You can't survive whether you had i150 HP. It's 5x damage with the Allagan Field. That's the same for anything hitting the person with Allagan field. Cleaves will still wipe most people. The extra HP doesn't allow you to take 2 towers either as DPS or healers. Still have to deal with towers in the exact same way.

The difference between i110 and i130 helps 3 things - Killing Dreadnaughts faster, possibly removing last tower set (not enough to get rid of 2 as I've seen), and damage mitigation when dealing with overall damage on tank or homing missile on party members. All of which aren't the things that are worries, it's the other mechanics.

But - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk&spfreload=10

Sorian

Banned
You don't think all that extra hp and damage helps? Not at all? It makes the aoe damage tower easier. It makes mines easier. It makes killing dread and the boss itself easier. It reduces the impact of the -HP tower. You have to deal with less towers in general as fight is over faster. Outgearing content is possible without completely trivializing it. No amount of gear will save you from one shot mechanics like twisters, divebombs, and the dozens of other mechanics of it's ilk. (The extra gear won't save you if you ignore the mechanics of T6savage either by the way)

You can't seriously think it's the same challenge that it was. I don't even get why you'd try and defend otherwise, I get the impression your ego isn't so tied up in such pointless things based on your past posts. Obviously Tabris is already too far gone at this point.

(I could have quote Scy too but I'm lazy)

No, I don't think its the same challenge at all. Never said that and never will. What more annoys me is that the sentiment has been "we cleared savage 6 like it was nothing so the rest of the savage turns are lolz too." It's like if someone cleared turn 10 and said final cool was a joke. They built the savage turns in such a way that insta kill mechanics are king and the rest is fluff. Yes, gear negates the fluff. My point is that there is a lot of fluff in T6 and very little in T8. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't spent a lot of time in savage T6 but I've put a lot of research into both.

Edit: also the point above about allagan field, the tower damage and cleaves and homing missile were never about the overall damage done that needed to be healed, they were always about keeping that damage away from the allagan field target. If someone dies from the tower explosion at ilvl 110 or 130 that isn't gear making things easier or harder, the healer just fucked up royally in both those cases (usually, it's a little more nuanced than that)

Valor

Pretty much this. It's the same way that people are now outgearing final coil. It doesn't trivialize the content, but it makes things way more manageable and gives room for mistakes. Doing the content at 110 would still be difficult, and anything above that is going to get less and less difficult, regardless of how much people want to argue otherwise. Where are those titles, guys? WHERE IS KORRA'S TITLE!?

scy

What more annoys me is that the sentiment has been "we cleared savage 6 like it was nothing so the rest of the savage turns are lolz too."

And none of us have said that? We stopped working on T9S simply because of a lack of interest in the group / scheduling issues, not because "lulz savage is ezmodo." I find the fights fun even if the difficulty in them is a bit heavy-handed.

My point is that there is a lot of fluff in T6 and very little in T8. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't spent a lot of time in savage T6 but I've put a lot of research into both.

T8 has more insta-kill mechanics. It's a more complex fight in and of itself. T6S is just a bunch of obnoxious mechanics with the whole RNG determining how you move Rafflesia around / how fast the phase ends and then splitting Swarm. There's more raid damage for maintenance healing and less "you failed the mechanics you died." No denying it has more points of failure that are dealt primarily with gear when you make mistakes and give up stacks or feed too fast. It still has auto-wipes just like T8S has parts of the fight that gear lets you breathe easier about.

Also, Allagan Field being 5x damage does sort of mean that gearing is relevant. It increases the maximum damage you can take and not auto-wipe from it. The extra few percent points of mitigation and 100-200+ of Stoneskin / Galvanize shielding become a bigger deal. Of course, the ideal case is just ... not taking enough (if any) damage for these things to matter at all but these are there for increased margin of error. Which is the entire point to begin with, more breathing room on everything but the auto-wipe cases.

BadRNG

(I could have quote Scy too but I'm lazy)

No, I don't think its the same challenge at all. Never said that and never will. What more annoys me is that the sentiment has been "we cleared savage 6 like it was nothing so the rest of the savage turns are lolz too." It's like if someone cleared turn 10 and said final cool was a joke. They built the savage turns in such a way that insta kill mechanics are king and the rest is fluff. Yes, gear negates the fluff. My point is that there is a lot of fluff in T6 and very little in T8. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't spent a lot of time in savage T6 but I've put a lot of research into both.
I didn't say it was lolz, all I've ever said is it's not the achievement it was, and that bragging about beating it now (have you guys actually? I'm not clear on that) is silly. That's how this entire thing originally started, Tabris trying to act like he was a big shot for doing savage coil "progression" when no one else was despite not realizing he was in a race that was over half a year ago. Not even just in getting to the finish line, but in even qualifying for the race to begin with.

If you guys beat any savages I'll congratulate you in FC chat. I'll congratulate anyone who has achieved some new milestone for themselves, whether that be savage or Titan EX or T9 or admitting their life is a lie
relic
. But if you start acting like that's all a super big deal and that you're better than everyone than I'm going to call you out on your bullshit.

scy

So you'll congratulate my 3rd Zeta when I get around to it?! Incentive!

need to finish this so everyone can be back to disappointed in my relic fascination too then \o/

BadRNG

No, after the third I am calling the police. You are clearly a danger to yourself at that point and need some professional help.

iammeiam

The amount of time it's taken you to finish ninja light is just a massive disappointment. I don't think anyone cares about your Zetas now, after that shameful display.

Edit for clarity: I am no longer disappointed in the relic obsession but in the lazy half-assed person behind it. Can't even obsess properly.

Sorian

Banned
Also, Allagan Field being 5x damage does sort of mean that gearing is relevant. It increases the maximum damage you can take and not auto-wipe from it. The extra few percent points of mitigation and 100-200+ of Stoneskin / Galvanize shielding become a bigger deal. Of course, the ideal case is just ... not taking enough (if any) damage for these things to matter at all but these are there for increased margin of error. Which is the entire point to begin with, more breathing room on everything but the auto-wipe cases.

I'll concede on everything else because I think we've both made valid arguments and it's probably not worth trying to sway one another more but I have to just give a big no to this part of your post. There are only 3 realistic things that can hit the allagan field person (4 if you count gaseous but I'm removing that one because it is an RNG mechanic that is easily handled if RNG is against you but is not usually in play anyway). The bosses cleave: gear does not mitigate this because even if you miraculously block all the damage, you are still bleeding, it's a wipe. Tower explosion: this does a little over 4k to me unmitigated, I don't care what you toss on me, 5x that damage is a wipe. Homing missile: ok, here's where you could make a case, maybe. This does 2500 to me unmitigated. How much can stone skin and galvanize reasonably block? If they block about 1500 then sure the extra gear has saved us from a wipe but the more realistic number of only blocking closer to 1k has now moved us into a territory where only the tanks and maybe a melee DPS is surviving. So no 130 gear is doing nothing for this mechanic and even the one time where it is, I get the feeling the 5k of damage that just went out probably dropped someone who was tanking something important.

Tabris

That's how this entire thing originally started, Tabris trying to act like he was a big shot for doing savage coil "progression" when no one else was despite not realizing he was in a race that was over half a year ago. Not even just in getting to the finish line, but in even qualifying for the race to begin with.

I think you misunderstand, I make fun of Tabris and his high horse

Hmm. You guys have been egotistical for a while on our group (and still are). Whether that was insulting stream commentary during things like our T9 and T13 progression or the subtle here's some advice cause we're better than you comments we got from your team.

Now I'm telling you to bring it and y'all cowering. I've always been upfront about being egotistical, but your group is the same, just hypocritical about it. So until you bring it, you got no leg to stand on (or put in a stirrup on your high horse).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm. You guys have been egotistical for a while on our group (and still are). Whether that was insulting stream commentary during things like our T9 and T13 progression or the subtle here's some advice cause we're better than you comments we got from your team.

Now I'm telling you to bring it and y'all cowering. I've always been upfront about being egotistical, but your group is the same, just hypocritical about it. So until you bring it, you got no leg to stand on (or put in a stirrup on your high horse).

Oh please.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
See you in Alexander :) Make sure to stream your runs so I can give you tips ;)

We were giving you solid advice on streams, not trying to be negative about it. You're turning it into something it wasn't so please get the fuck off that high horse.

Tabris

We were giving you solid advice on streams, not trying to be negative about it. You're turning it into something it wasn't so please get the fuck off that high horse.

How was making fun of Skoje solid advice, as an example? You hop off with me and we'll meet at the ranch :p

Aselith

How much do unidentified tomestones cost to buy? Are they buyable? I went straight for my weapon for the tomestones but then realized you have to have that and it seems to drop only in raid dungeons? I'm assuming it's pretty pricy if not unbuyable?

I'm pretty sure Nin Py has been in our stream chat having a laugh and telling me to get good. It's a bit of fun.

I'm sure if there was joking around it was just that. And when people give you tips on clearing stuff it's with the aim of helping you out.

relax and stop playing the victim.

BadRNG

Isn't the whole point of streaming progression to get advice? I don't believe I've ever actually watched you guys and I don't know (or care really) what others in the group said, but I'm inclined - for obviously biased reasons - to think you are exaggerating.

As for the bring it thing, I mean, it's like you don't seem to get it. We don't actually care about savage. Half the group only logs on a handful times a week and we're happy with that. You're acting like the kid that yells "first one to x wins!" and dashes off, and yet even though no one else ran with him, he still gets super excited he "won". Well congrats I guess, you win?

Once coil is unlocked we talked about meeting once a week to do savage for a lockout or two just cause it's something to do and expansion is forever away. But honestly I'd feel bad for you if we beat you to clears with just that kind of commitment.

Ken

How much do unidentified tomestones cost to buy? Are they buyable? I went straight for my weapon for the tomestones but then realized you have to have that and it seems to drop only in raid dungeons? I'm assuming it's pretty pricy if not unbuyable?

Unidentified Allagan tomestones for 100>110 weapons drop from Sycrus Tower.

Encrypted tomestones for 120>130 weapons drop from Final Coil turn 2.

IvorB

You can get from ST. They are pretty easy to get there. You cannot buy them as far as I know.

scy

This does 2500 to me unmitigated. How much can stone skin and galvanize reasonably block?

I assume you mean how much of an increase you'll get from i110 to i130 for this? If not, Stoneskin + Adlo (non-crit) should be a roughly 2500 shield on a caster. As an increase over i110, yes, it'll be under 1000 extra damage prevented (~550). I'm saying it increased the leeway from "oh, you took 800 damage we're probably fucked" to "oh, you took 1200 damage we're probably fucked." HP levels are up about ~1000 (less if you were in full VIT right-side i90, though then it's more DPS at similar HP levels). You're looking at innately taking approximately 5% or so less damage across the board. Adlo average is up ~300-400 points.

You won't be suddenly surviving a cleave-fueled Allagan Field. That was never my point. My point was that you don't need perfect responses of Sacred Soil + Stoneskin + Adlo with full VIT right-side when it comes to the tower or Homing Missile. You will take less damage from these alongside just having more HP to begin with. Margins of error, not changes in tactics.

That said, I'll concede this point since it's honestly never relevant in real attempts. T8S is pretty much down to a perfect run when it comes to Allagan Field and never a "well, good thing it hit us for 300 #gearcarry."

Now I'm telling you to bring it and y'all cowering.

I see.

Isn't the whole point of streaming progression to get advice? I don't believe I've ever actually watched you guys and I don't know (or care really) what others in the group said, but I'm inclined - for obviously biased reasons - to think you are exaggerating.

Most of the chat is pretty much not our group (or, as far as I could tell, not even people from Ultros). When it was on the main GT account, there were plenty of legitimate random viewers watching one of the like top 5 XIV streams at the time.

I'm pretty sure Nin Py has been in our stream chat having a laugh and telling me to get good. It's a bit of fun.

I'm sure if there was joking around it was just that. And when people give you tips on clearing stuff it's with the aim of helping you out.

relax and stop playing the victim.

i was gonna yell at your group for anti melee strats in 13, but I forgot

IvorB

As for the bring it thing, I mean, it's like you don't seem to get it. We don't actually care about savage. Half the group only logs on a handful times a week and we're happy with that. You're acting like the kid that yells "first one to x wins!" and dashes off, and yet even though no one else ran with him, he still gets super excited he "won". Well congrats I guess, you win?

Once coil is unlocked we talked about meeting once a week to do savage for a lockout or two just cause it's something to do and expansion is forever away. But honestly I'd feel bad for you if we beat you to clears with just that kind of commitment.

Honestly you guys should just go and do T8S so we can settle this once and for all. Nothing like some sporting rivalry to keep the troops entertained.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Level 50 Paladin in Copperbell low level group. Only words he says the entire party was assuring us he was not a bot after we (very politely mind you) suggested that he use shield lob and/or flash occasionally so that he didn't lose agro on every single pull. He completely ignores all advice and gets me killed half way thru the dungeon on trash mobs because he refusing to use anything other than his 1-2-3.

I don't get it guys. Why do people like this exist?

nickcv

Hey guys I got an extra copy of the game for ps3. Can I just giveaway the code or there is no way to activate it without the disk to install it? Does anyone want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom