• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

Okay then yes.
TRAITOR

How is tethers hard.
Oh you.

I prefer rightrightright
I like exposure to different methods--flexibility should be a goal for everyone--but it makes it significantly more likely to wipe in 11 than 10 or 12 where any differences in execution generally have longer to account for/less severe consequences.
I read that rightrightright in Punchi's voice. It's like drilled into my skull. We do reset also in my group and I doubt we'd have issues with it now. It's just that when you have people who are used to different things and then you decide THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT it can lead to people derping. In our case, we just derped all over the place last night from top to bottom, so it's whatever.

It's easy - My way or the highway. Who needs alternate strategies unless they are better / easier? Mine is only susceptible to colour blind people and zoolander.
Didn't your way also lead to healers passing brand in T12 final phase and tanks not wanting to pick up tethers in 13? Yes. Superior. A+. 10/10 would subscribe to your newsletter :)

:v :v :v

iammeiam

I read that rightrightright in Punchi's voice. It's like drilled into my skull. We do reset also in my group and I doubt we'd have issues with it now. It's just that when you have people who are used to different things and then you decide THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT it can lead to people derping. In our case, we just derped all over the place last night from top to bottom, so it's whatever.

Oh I know about derping--I'm pretty sure I directly cost us a clear last night when I blew Bara the fuck up, solely because I slammed right to dodge, remembered a half second later, and didn't get back to him in time. 5% wipe GG. I don't believe any one is inherently better. I just personally dislike reset because always-go-right seems easier to manage when I self-deafen because you're all jerks. Also your group doing reset kind of strengthens my reset=for chumps statement sooooooo...

Last night was also the first time I saw P1->P2 transition during missiles. NOT A FAN.

studyguy

This is why my question when helping new players in old coil is
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO THIS SHIT NOW?
OH, BARD TANKS, SUMMONER HEALS AND I /HILDEBRAND FOR SOME REASON OKAY, WHY THE FUCK NOT.

And it always works out okay.
Strats only work if everyone is on board.
If not then it's just all confusion.

iammeiam

I just assume I'm talking to myself.

All joking about how terrible you all are aside, I genuinely prefer strategies that don't require voice communication, and the always-go-right method seems to more or less match up with that.

It's almost to the point that I think I could just stop logging in to Mumble entirely for FCoB--don't really need it for T10 with numbering, I think I've got the hang of when to kill the small Bennu so don't really need it for 12, I eat divebombs the same amount in 13 with or without callouts, 11's stack/spread and thunder indicators are pretty visually obvious. Tether dodging is really the only thing that seems like vocal communication is still important, and rightrightright kind of undoes that.

I don't really like Steps of Faith.

At least when you wipe in regular content you don't have to wait before you can try again.

Lowest I've it down to is 43%.

Every group abandons after each failed attempt.

scy

All joking about how terrible you all are aside, I genuinely prefer strategies that don't require voice communication, and the always-go-right method seems to more or less match up with that.

In that case, I really don't mind saying things. It's just ... filler, I guess? I think for the most part everything we do for Final Coil doesn't _need_ things said, it's just something me and Punch still do because ... well, because.

silence scares me, basically

It's almost to the point that I think I could just stop logging in to Mumble entirely

Oh you.

WolvenOne

At least when you wipe in regular content you don't have to wait before you can try again.

Took me over four hours yesterday, and I ended up having to teach group after group until I finally found a set of people that could handle cannons acceptably.

The fight itself isn't badly designed exactly, but so much of the player base cannot seem to handle cannons well, and that it greatly multiplies the difficulty in what should be a fairly easy fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So much of the playerbase panics when presented with having to do something other than distributing uniforms.

WolvenOne

So much of the playerbase panics when presented with having to do something other than distributing uniforms.

Sliiiiiiight exaggeration, buuut you're not too far off. The problem is that, when you force the player base to use cannons or whatnot, you're forcing them to do something that they haven't had any practice with for 99.9% of the game. Players that aren't prone to panic will get past that, but, so much of the playerbase plays so casually that they haven't really had to work at panic suppression.

So, they don't know, and have trouble keeping calm long enough to learn. This isn't a problem when you're asking them to do something face-roll easy, like the Magitech segment of Preatorium, but Steps is asking a bit more out of players this time.

studyguy

Did steps of faith with 7 FC members and one DF bard.
The Bard decided to blow the towers early and caused a wipe the first time. We told him to just stop. Shoot canons and we won.

WolvenOne

Did steps of faith with 7 FC members and one DF bard.
The Bard decided to blow the towers early and caused a wipe the first time. We told him to just stop. Shoot canons and we won.

DFed it, mostly went smooth except one tower was missed on the first run, and the other Tank kept forgetting to kite Add's to the front half of the boss. Second run I walked everyone through what needed to change, and that one went pretty smooth.

This was of course after several previous DF runs where people couldn't use cannons with enough consistency to kill adds. By the end the number of adds gets pretty overwhelming is they aren't killed off. :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I like it, but generally for the scope of it, and the fact that we cleared it (barely) on the 2nd try of my 1st que of it. 5 FC members and 3 randoms and I was past Steps within 30 minutes of opening the trial.

I tried it later with mre/Thaddeus, and 6 randoms, and that was miserable.

I did miss on 2 tower shots, because I went in not knowing "when" to do it. It's not just about hitting the target.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Makes me wonder... some of the playerbase is calling for normal Alexander because they want more accessible coil. Then Steps of Faith comes along and you have that thread on the OFs with some people complaining about it being too difficult.

What are these people going to do when they hit normal Alex?

studyguy

Makes me wonder... some of the playerbase is calling for normal Alexander because they want more accessible coil. Then Steps of Faith comes along and you have that thread on the OFs with some people complaining about it being too difficult.

Not do it.
Much like 90% of the player base that never sees beyond the first coil.
Wasn't there a stat a while back on the census on how the vast, VAAAAAST majority hadn't even cleared T5 in the post T9 era?

WolvenOne

Makes me wonder... the playerbase is calling for normal Alexander because they want more accessible coil. Then Steps of Faith comes along and you have that thread on the OFs with some people complaining about it being too difficult.

For a large portion of the player base, Normal Alex is going to be out of reach, and a huge eye opener when they try it. Problem is, a large portion of the player base, only runs dungeons, caps Poetics, and never does anything else to challenge themselves. Players that approach the game like this, will always struggle on fights with actual wipe mechanics.

PS: In the first Steps group I was in, one person literally rage quit, and declared that he'd just wait for the fight to get nerfed. There's a reason why you're never going to make raid content easy enough for everyone.

scy

Wait for the bar to be lowered, I guess?

It'll be "fun" to see how people react.

iammeiam

Normal Alex will hopefully be viewed with less frustration that Steps because it should be side-content. Steps and Chrysalis are annoying because they gate the story behind them--and so if you're trying to finish the story they're in your way--and they're one-and-done content. No reason to go back. If you're too early or too late you may not be able to group up with people, and until you clear it you're stuck story-wise.

Alexander normal should be side content and not blockade anything, so it'll be easier for people to group up on-the-fly. Not clearing won't be as bad since the only thing Alexander should block you off from is more Alexander. And people with experience will be incentivized to go back for loot every week, which will probably help.

I think overly difficult main story content could be objectionable, but challenging side content should be okay.

BadRNG

Not do it? It's a pretty different situation too.

Steps is required to progress in the story, and if you mess up early on you gotta wait forever for the fight to fail until you can actually retry, which makes it extra frustrating.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I think overly difficult main story content could be objectionable, but challenging side content should be okay.
True enough. I'm speaking on the assumption that the same group calling for easier coil is the same group of people with complaints about SoF, which isn't necessarily true either. I guess that relative to other content, SoF is a bit of a step up but it still doesn't seem all that bad.

scy

Maybe? If there's still loot and "story" involved with it, I imagine there will still be some general response about it keeping players out. Though, I don't think anything will stop some of those complaints, regardless of how hard the actual content is, so it's probably a moot point to begin with.

So, yeah, will be kind of interesting to see A) How the encounters are designed and B) How people react to it.

True enough. I'm speaking on the assumption that the same group calling for easier coil is the same group of people with complaints about SoF, which isn't necessarily true either. I guess that relative to other content, SoF is a bit of a step up but it still doesn't seem all that bad.

It also depends on how hard it will be seen as in, say, a week when more people actually know what to do. There's a lot of guesswork and assumptions and 100% blind runs alongside early clears. I think Chrysalis also had a similar response when it came out.

MogCakes

how much meat does the FCoB story have? I'm still on t9 with my static. With the expansioon only a few months away I don't really care for coil loot, but if the story's pronounced enough I'll bite into it.

iammeiam

how much meat does the FCoB story have? I'm still on t9 with my static. With the expansioon only a few months away I don't really care for coil loot, but if the story's pronounced enough I'll bite into it.

I'm pretty openly anti-this-game's-story, and even I'll admit some fairly big stuff happens in the FCoB cutscenes. I may think it's silly, but it definitely counts as huge if you care about the overall Realm Reborn storyline.

Mostly around 12, really. So just get through 12 for the big revelations. Post-13 isn't really anything new, it just puts a bow on things.

studyguy

12 is important for 1.0 players. Everyone new probably barely gives a fuck about grandpa. Or Nael for that matter.
Anyway the cutscene in 12 is the best part of it all even if you don't care about the story.

BadRNG

Maybe? If there's still loot and "story" involved with it, I imagine there will still be some general response about it keeping players out. Though, I don't think anything will stop some of those complaints, regardless of how hard the actual content is, so it's probably a moot point to begin with.

So, yeah, will be kind of interesting to see A) How the encounters are designed and B) How people react to it.
Yeah, I was about to say...there will always be complaints. There could even be some in the other direction, people crying they made the game too casual and carebears are taking over and something something terrible game.

I'm kind of expecting something like the post-echo/mechanic nerf coil fights? There is some challenge there but a DF group could handle it if they understand the mechanics.

Not much at all, you could probably watch the entire coil storyline (from first to last) in like half an hour. The majority of the real story comes at the end parts (T5/T9/T12/T13). There's a really cool CGI scene after T12 but on the whole you aren't missing a ton, they even go out of their way to act like nothing that happened will ever really be talked about again because reasons.

If you aren't interested in putting in the time/effort to clear the content at this point, I'd just watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.

iammeiam

I dunno, as a 2.0 player I cared mostly because it tied in to the opening CGI thing that plays when you idle on the menu and so I know it better than 95% of the bullshit the 2.55 storyline dealt with.

...I should probably stop trying to guess how normal people gauge story importance since I think I might just tie it directly to cutscene budget.

scy

I'm kind of expecting something like the post-echo/mechanic nerf coil fights? There is some challenge there but a DF group could handle it if they understand the mechanics.

I think their goal will be no job requirements (like, what if no casters or no melee or no ranged) along with not needing everyone to be doing something, just a few. The whole "they neutered Second Coil!" bias aside, all the encounters pretty much got toned down the same way: One-shots removed, strict role requirements removed, amount of individual roles per fight toned down.

iammeiam

I just sort of figure Alexander normal will be, like, Shiva EX difficulty with maybe a slightly lower DPS check. Shiva didn't really need mechanical nerfs to become completely accessible, just more and more widespread overgearing.

Post-nerf SCoB just seems too easy. The game is really short on mid-tier content, so balancing this right could help a lot there. I'm hoping they're aiming for something tougher than guaranteed DFable, but easy enough we commoners can get in and progress from day 1.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Now that I have a bit of experience playing all roles at level 50 I'm gonna go ahead and say that I find healing to be the most work and I kind of have more respect for people that do it well now.

BadRNG

I think their goal will be no job requirements (like, what if no casters or no melee or no ranged) along with not needing everyone to be doing something, just a few. The whole "they neutered Second Coil!" bias aside, all the encounters pretty much got toned down the same way: One-shots removed, strict role requirements removed, amount of individual roles per fight toned down.
I get the impression sometimes they don't care about job requirements at all, or rather they don't care if certain makeups are a bit handicapped. T4 and T11 with the magic/phys mobs is main exception.

An odd question, but are there PS button prompts in the PC version of the game?
You can pick between PS or Xbox button displays in the settings. Whatever floats your boat.

I just sort of figure Alexander normal will be, like, Shiva EX difficulty with maybe a slightly lower DPS check. Shiva didn't really need mechanical nerfs to become completely accessible, just more and more widespread overgearing.

Post-nerf SCoB just seems too easy. The game is really short on mid-tier content, so balancing this right could help a lot there. I'm hoping they're aiming for something tougher than guaranteed DFable, but easy enough we commoners can get in and progress from day 1.
You think Shiva EX is harder than post nerf SCoB? I don't know, perhaps T6, but 7/8/9 still seem a good deal harder.

The first extreme primals were the mid-tier content for awhile, you could PF them on day one with a little bit of hassle. Ramuh and Mog kind of broke that trend, as they required coordination beyond what you normally get from a group of random PF people. Something like Leviathan or Garuda were perfect mid-tier in my eyes. They sort of follow the rules scy mentioned, there are mechanics but not every person has the ability to wipe the group by messing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom