• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duty Finder is just longer because not as many people are queueing for stuff...my waits as NIN for low level dungeons for my book are terrible as always.

Kenai

Now that I have a bit of experience playing all roles at level 50 I'm gonna go ahead and say that I find healing to be the most work and I kind of have more respect for people that do it well now.

it is either the easiest or the hardest thing in the game. There is no in between.

When it's easy you can use attack spells or even Cleric Stance most of the run. yet WHM is easily capable of getting some of the highest aggro in the game (often on accident) which they rarely want, and it continues to impress me how excellent or terrible Fairy A.I. can be on a whim (eat them cleaves and die in one shot Eos. Completely ignore other game mechanics and effectively trivialize the encounter Eos).

The devs have been making it a bit more consistent lately though. I could never do anything else as a "main" in this game but heal though, the highs and lows are too good.

Sorian

Banned
McDonalds sponsor confirmed

GYyQS58.gif

Kenai

The first extreme primals were the mid-tier content for awhile, you could PF them on day one with a little bit of hassle. Ramuh and Mog kind of broke that trend, as they required coordination beyond what you normally get from a group of random PF people. Something like Leviathan or Garuda were perfect mid-tier in my eyes. They sort of follow the rules scy mentioned, there are mechanics but not every person has the ability to wipe the group by messing up.

Agree with you on 7/8/9, but let's not forget how scary Titan HM still can be without overgearing it to carry new people (let alone Extreme), and people used to drop groups in Ifrit HM without a BLM/SMN there to LB.

Extreme? Ifrit needed super coordination by everyone which was pretty hard to find vis PF with no voice chat, and while Titan EX wasn't a huge spike in difficulty mechanics wise from HM, it needed an "extra" tank so the effective damage dropped for a while.

Garuda was farmed pretty quick though, yea. It was still a pretty big tank gearcheck eating double Wicked Wheel back then, but beyond that the mechanics were simple enough.

iammeiam

You think Shiva EX is harder than post nerf SCoB? I don't know, perhaps T6, but 7/8/9 still seem a good deal harder.

I think patch-day Shiva was harder in the gear the average person had than nerf-day 6/7/mayybe 8 (8 with people who knew how 8 worked became silly, but it turns out very few people knew how 8 worked) in the average gear, yes. Admittedly experience with their pre-nerf variants taints the experience a little, but for the most part nerf day made all of those fights ridiculously recoverable. I think it was also married with the first phase of echo, which didn't help, but the nerfs made it so you could just ignore almost everything and still recover. Shriek the raid? Twice? No problem. Petrifcation/voice/petrifaction chain reaction takes out 4 people for a minute? No big deal. Blighted became a optional mechanic, dealing with honey stopped being a problem.

I guess my impression of post-nerf SCoB is that as long as you kind of tried to do the mechanics you could probably squeak out a victory despite constant mistakes. This opinion may or may or may not be heavily influenced by some of the ridiculous GAF runs I've seen. My memory of early Shiva is that was just a lot more work than post-nerf 6/7/8 (as far as I know we still don't have post-nerf 9, beyond gear.) Staff phase AOE absolutely wrecked everything, the adds phase frequently required Holy spam to comfortably clear, taking an unintended debuff used to be almost certain death. I mostly remember endless Healer LB3s, the most Ballad I've ever had to play, and hard enrage. Shiva had less going on than 6/7/8, but the things going on hurt badly or one-shot if you did them wrong.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
it is either the easiest or the hardest thing in the game. There is no in between.

When it's easy you can use attack spells or even Cleric Stance most of the run. yet WHM is easily capable of getting some of the highest aggro in the game (often on accident) which they rarely want, and it continues to impress me how excellent or terrible Fairy A.I. can be on a whim (eat them cleaves and die in one shot Eos. Completely ignore other game mechanics and effectively trivialize the encounter Eos).

The devs have been making it a bit more consistent lately though. I could never do anything else as a "main" in this game but heal though, the highs and lows are too good.

Maybe it has something to do with all the casuals coming out in droves to do WoD but I find myself picking up a lot of slack for (literal) dead weight healers and DPS that have zero clue how to avoid mechanics. God forbid my tank is MT. It's almost too much for a zone that's trivial for me to tank or DPS in.

Been playing Scholar and I wanna finish my WHM too and give that a try because Holy looks too good but I'm not sure how I'll be able to manage without the fairy and Lustrate.

Kenai

Maybe it has something to do with all the casuals coming out in droves to do WoD but I find myself picking up a lot of slack for (literal) dead weight healers and DPS that have zero clue how to avoid mechanics. God forbid my tank is MT. It's almost too much for a zone that's trivial for me to tank or DPS in.

Been playing Scholar and I wanna finish my WHM too and give that a try because Holy looks too good but I'm not sure how I'll be able to manage without the fairy and Lustrate.

Haha, yep. 90% of the nonaoe/non tank stuff is avoidable, when people do avoid stuff and Fairy can deal w everything it's great. that's where some of the 250+ DPS SCHs come from (even I am getting close to that on T12 if i don't whif Miasma too much).

But in WoD, the amount of SCH who don't even do basic things like leave Cleric stance when the whole alliance is almost dead or take Eos off Sic is..pretty depressing, let alone fairly positioning or using free time for DPS or spending Aetherflow stacks when the CD is back.. I see it a lot in DF too, complete lack of the very very basics of stance dancing even when they should really be paying attention and stop wiping..

There are times when I see WHM do things that i really envy, like stunlock adds in SRs with holy and time a Cure 3 well in a stacked group to make my Succor look as piddly as it was meant to. And goddamn at some of those cleaves I "discover" at a bad time that make me scramble to save my pet since i like to position it fairly close o the tank or the center of the room for healing priority/range.

I love SCH so much though, I love pets and I love healing and I love a class that has both at once, even some seriously interesting lore on top of that. And I know people who love their WHM just as much (literally impossible t love it more). I hope AST plays well with both classes so people don't feel obligated to switch if they don't want to.

WolvenOne

I feel inclined to point out, that you can play casually, and still do just fine, so long as they put in actual effort into what they're doing. The reason casual players get a bad name, is because many use thier casual status as an excuse to coast along without really trying.

Personally, I don't understand that. I can understand going at your own pace, or avoiding more difficult content, but if you're not putting effort into the content you are doing, you might as well not be playing.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
But in WoD, the amount of SCH who don't even do basic things like leave Cleric stance when the whole alliance is almost dead or take Eos off Sic is..pretty depressing, let alone fairly positioning or using free time for DPS or spending Aetherflow stacks when the CD is back.. I see it a lot in DF too, complete lack of the very very basics of stance dancing even when they should really be paying attention and stop wiping..

I love that so many awful players in this game make it so easy for me to look like a god damned rock star while being totally mediocre. I may not be getting the healer drops in WoD but I've been getting a lot of commends.

10 runs now and counting without a single healer drop except for pants 1 time that my 35 roll got beat by a whm's 37 who spent the entire raid either dead or locked out of bosses because he was AFK.
tears.gif

IvorB

Makes me wonder... some of the playerbase is calling for normal Alexander because they want more accessible coil. Then Steps of Faith comes along and you have that thread on the OFs with some people complaining about it being too difficult.

What are these people going to do when they hit normal Alex?

They're potentially not the same people.

XenoRaven

Mild story spoilers;

Did anyone run into
double Tataru at the Arcanist guild? I talked to her and all she says is "dummy" with no capitalization or punctuation, which is weird for this game.
. I think it might just be placeholder text.

scy

Mild story spoilers;

Did anyone run into
double Tataru at the Arcanist guild? I talked to her and all she says is "dummy" with no capitalization or punctuation, which is weird for this game.

Or just a very rude NPC.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
2nd day, all missing healer loot acquired. I don't have either of the scholary books but Last Resort is better in every way including looks. Might try and equip dragoon but... eh. It's not like the world needs any more DPS.

iammeiam

The difference in activity between yesterday and today is kind of hilarious. At this point I can only assume they stuck to their pre-Heavensward-delay patch schedule.

Curios what in the patch needs a hotfix. Theres not really a lot to most of it, unless the new trial has some glitches.

Also: Fuck divebombs, part 376. ugh.

Need to farm T10 more later today to get the healing earrings. Then T12 at some point. Can't be the i130 hero without the last remaining bis items (neck/earring). Forever stuck with crafted/high allagan :(

WolvenOne

The difference in activity between yesterday and today is kind of hilarious. At this point I can only assume they stuck to their pre-Heavensward-delay patch schedule.

Yeeeeeah, I've really enjoyed the story this time around, but there's literally nothing in this patch that's really repeatable. Honestly, I'm not really opposed to Story only patches, but it kinda feels like something to put between major content patches, it isn't really a substitute.

(Note: I doubt they'd ever really consider doing story patches between content patches. The patch cycle would have to be designed around it, and although voice work isn't absurdly expensive it still isn't cheap, and they'd probably need a somewhat larger budget to accommodate that. Just saying you know.)

But, yeah, yesterday was kinda crazy with all those people running around. Today, not as much, though there's still some people going through things obviously. XD

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My FC went from fairly active yesterday to pretty dead today. This is going to be a long three months.

Ken

Mild story spoilers;

Did anyone run into

An issue wherein, in the time between completing the quests "So You Want to Be a Jockey" and "So You Think You Can Ride This Chocobo", the NPC Tataru, who should not normally be there, appears in the Arcanists' Guild in Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
“Hey guys wanna sell a carry?“
“...“
“Hey wanna farm T11“
“...“
“kbai“

Definitely feels like it's over. Best time for fishing!

xxczx

So I've got to ilvl90 finally! I just need to get some drops for the left side or buy them with tomes.

How do I go about my weapon now? I have the Bravura Zenith and don't feel like going Atma route. This is the only thing I need to do now so I can tank Ifrit EX reasonably and not worry about loosing aggro..

Also wasn't maintenance suppose to end 45 mins ago?

Stuart444

So I've got to ilvl90 finally! I just need to get some drops for the left side or buy them with tomes.

How do I go about my weapon now? I have the Bravura Zenith and don't feel like going Atma route. This is the only thing I need to do now so I can tank Ifrit EX reasonably and not worry about loosing aggro..

Also wasn't maintenance suppose to end 45 mins ago?

No, 10am GMT which is in 10 minutes.

If you're from the UK, we're on BST now (GMT+1). That's probably why you're confused.

Stuart444

hah whoops, forgot I'm on GMT+1 now.

Haha, no problem. You're not the only one. I've seen official streams from companies be scheduled without taking DST into accordance so some people end up getting confused over it.

I have a very weird obsession with time. On the bright side, unless traffic is bad or my alarm clock is broken, I'm never late for appointments. On the downside, I'm always the one correcting people on this stuff :(

And on a more on topic note: Servers are up

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's back. IT'S BACK.
PAPAYA IS BACK.

Now I really feel nostalgic.

The associated FATE is hilarious too.

BadRNG

Agree with you on 7/8/9, but let's not forget how scary Titan HM still can be without overgearing it to carry new people (let alone Extreme), and people used to drop groups in Ifrit HM without a BLM/SMN there to LB.

Extreme? Ifrit needed super coordination by everyone which was pretty hard to find vis PF with no voice chat, and while Titan EX wasn't a huge spike in difficulty mechanics wise from HM, it needed an "extra" tank so the effective damage dropped for a while.
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong, I thought it was pretty common for people to be doing their weekly EX primal quest via PF. I wasn't saying they were all easy at release or anything though, just that they filled the mid-tier gap between easy DF content and Coil. You still needed a competent group but it was not on the same level as coil, and brute forcing wasn't an option.

Yeeeeeah, I've really enjoyed the story this time around, but there's literally nothing in this patch that's really repeatable. Honestly, I'm not really opposed to Story only patches, but it kinda feels like something to put between major content patches, it isn't really a substitute.

(Note: I doubt they'd ever really consider doing story patches between content patches.)
This was put between major content patches! It's 2.55 not 2.6. This was meant to be inbetween 2.5 and 3.0, and if the expansion hadn't been delayed that would of worked fine, as the expansion would be released in a little over a month from now.

Eldren

I started playing the PS4 beta during the last Papaya Hatching-Tide event so it's my 1 year anniversary too. This is my first MMO and I distinctly remember making my first character
a catgirl, what was I thinking?
and running around Gridania as a lancer in a casting robe, having no idea what was going on, struggling to communicate with people because I didn't have a keyboard. I got up to Copperbell Mines but the dps queues were obscene and I gave up after waiting for an hour. Then I rerolled as an Elezen ACN to check out the Limsa Lominsa storyline and then again as a femroe THM which is the character I still play as now. Good memories. I've had a lot of fun this last year.

Also last night I finally got my rogue to level 30 and unlocked ninja so now I have to rearrange my cross hotbars again and, more importantly, start giving serious thought to my lvl50 glamour. Priorities!

plake

Wow, it's been over a year since I started playing. I likely started with the PS4 beta which launched late February. Nuts!
I remember how confusing everything was at first and how trivial it seems now. Also am bored except for FCOB could and capping those poetics. Would enjoy PVPing way more if the queues weren't so damn long.

plake

I realised last night I need to level a lancer to 22 for one of their skills. WTF?!? 22? That's ages...

Not rly. Quests+Hunting log+Challenge log at all times. After lv 15 you can queue for dungeons while grinding FATEs and the above. At lv 20 you get a new tier of the Hunting log that should let you get 2 lvs easily.

And hey, you might enjoy LOLDRG. I know I did.

iammeiam

I started at the tail end of Hatchingtide last year, too. Time to sit and think about all the other things I could have done with the last year of my life.

Try 34 for Blood 4 Blood :p for some classes (BRD and NIN I believe)

BRD/MNK/NIN. Basically any job that can use Invigorate should also have Blood for Blood because more damage is more damage. Also on the short list of buffs you can hit specifically to frustrate healers.

Invig is more important in early 50 content, but for anything srs you'll get the side-eye for not having B4B

Haven't had a chance to play much the last few days due to work. Still at 7/12 atma. Once I get all 12 I'll probably take a break from relic and try a few of those things that were posted the other day. And also try to track down the elusive Ultros hunt linkshell pearl. -_-;

Also, any policy regarding recruitment codes here? I have a feeling most of you vets have gotten your rewards, but if anyone needed one I have one. Just pm me if you're interested I guess.

Fine, I'll give up. Or just make my own and hang out in it by myself. I guess I should wait until HW and try to get some sort of pvp group going once we see the changes.

plake

Fine, I'll give up. Or just make my own and hang out in it by myself. I guess I should wait until HW and try to get some sort of pvp group going once we see the changes.

To be fair most A's and S are usually called out in GAF FC chat. I also see a ton of A hunting parties in PF so could try there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom