• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I was going to say maybe the SCH is DPS only outside the occasional Lustrate and Adlo on Prey, but there's no way they'd have no overheal if they were Adlo'ing Prey so maybe they just never leave Cleric stance and the WHM solo heals most of it with fairy assist?

Well, the first Wild Charge is skipped entirely so pre-pull Stoneskins absorbs the first double Prey. HL+Charge is immediately before the adds so can just adlo to heal off the damage? No real need to immediately heal the raid here. Only 3 total Preys go out on this phase as well with that pacing. Imdugud Prey's must just be dealt with Stoneskins to keep that SCH overheal so low. The WHMs overheal is from Tank Regens + Med2 as a single GCD response to raid damage I guess.

One of these nights we're going to be bored enough to try this.

I want to do this. I still need those tank boots on Soapy for vanity~

oboy

plake

Old news, almost all of the heavy hitters on both the JPN and ENG side of things have said they are. Game isn't dark enough yet though, we need more death.

Plot twist in 3.55: your character perma-dies and you have to restart al the way back from from 1.0 in order to play 4.0. Remember where you read it first.

Valor

But how do I achieve being the best while simultaneously not wanting to play the game or put forth any effort. It's so discouraging...

BadRNG

That post is hilarious, I gotta think troll, no one really cares that much about their dps while leveling.

But how do I achieve being the best while simultaneously not wanting to play the game or put forth any effort. It's so discouraging...
Blame lag and adjust your real dps accordingly. Adjusted for lag I do like a millionbillionkajillion per second, everyone else needs to step it up.

scy

As far as I can tell from reading it, is he really comparing his damage to someone a level higher (and with higher stats) and going "it's not fair that they do more," to that?

Honestly just sounds like he doesn't like the game / genre alongside not liking the people he's playing with. And then that weird "I do less damage than someone with better stats" part.

Valor

be me, but that may be too hard for you

It is indeed hard for me to purposefully play that poorly.

On a more serious note, the guy is probably not using Venom (which is like a 10% dps gain) and his weapon probably sucks compared to the other guy's. Then again, he's been called out on that a few times and promptly ignores it.

scy

On a more serious note, the guy is probably not using Venom (which is like a 10% dps gain) and his weapon probably sucks compared to the other guy's. Then again, he's been called out on that a few times and promptly ignores it.

He mentions Level 36 which is when Kiss of the Wasp upgrades. Assuming he hit that level while doing that group stuff, that's either 20% vs 5% (both using Wasp) or 20% vs 10% (one with traited Wasp vs Viper). The damage difference he lists in the OP is ~16%. So ...

I'm so done trying to do Levi ex through duty, I've waited an more than an hour for both times I've tried it today and people back out after the first attempt even though we do pretty well-_-

WolvenOne

Old news, almost all of the heavy hitters on both the JPN and ENG side of things have said they are. Game isn't dark enough yet though, we need more death.

Actually, this brings up something interesting I've been wanting to talk about. A few months ago, it was stated that the developers, "wanted," to go darker, to cover more mature themes, and to show serious consequences; but that the game being international limited how mature they could go. In short they had to comply with the censorship laws of each region the game is being sold in.

One example they gave of something they wanted to do
was to have an NPC lose a limb
to show that everything going on in the game had permanent consequences; but that they couldn't because of regional censorship laws.

I guess they found a way around regional censorship.

PS: Bonus points to anyone that can point me towards the interview I'm thinking of; it'd be nice to refresh my memory.

Redx508

how did i do? is not hq i need better gear #cornpizza
FHfoUD4.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Actually, this brings up something interesting I've been wanting to talk about. A few months ago, it was stated that the developers, "wanted," to go darker, to cover more mature themes, and to show serious consequences; but that the game being international limited how mature they could go. In short they had to comply with the censorship laws of each region the game is being sold in.

One example they gave of something they wanted to do
was to have an NPC lose a limb
to show that everything going on in the game had permanent consequences; but that they couldn't because of regional censorship laws.

I guess they found a way around regional censorship.

PS: Bonus points to anyone that can point me towards the interview I'm thinking of; it'd be nice to refresh my memory.

They are certainly making due:
a lalafell got sliced in half, losing a limb is chump change when you think about it.

Dunan

GAF, tomorrow is my last day of my current subscription and I'm going to take off for a month or two.

I'd like to leave a thankful donation to the company chest, but it seems that only certain people can withdraw and deposit. Is there a way for a non-officer to make a deposit of gil?

WolvenOne

They are certainly making due:
a lalafell got sliced in half, losing a limb is chump change when you think about it.

Yeah, I just fixated on the whole
"losing limb"
thing since that is one of the
things they went with.
After the fact, it feels almost like they were trolling the audience. Though it's possible that they really thought they were never going to ever be able to do it.

Also, I'm guessing that these scenes differ in the regions where laws prevent such things from being depicted in video-games.

rubius01

GAF, tomorrow is my last day of my current subscription and I'm going to take off for a month or two.

I'd like to leave a thankful donation to the company chest, but it seems that only certain people can withdraw and deposit. Is there a way for a non-officer to make a deposit of gil?

Give all your cash to Skoje. He'llake sure its dristubited

Croyles

Give all your cash to Skoje. He'llake sure its dristubited

dristubite
verb,
1. to divide and give out in shares, each going to Skoje.
2. to disperse through a space or over an area, such as over Skoje.
3. to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients (i.e. Skoje).

Valor

dristubite
verb,
3. to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients (i.e. Skoje).

Seems legit.

Sorian

Banned
dristubite
verb,

10/10 would dristubite (to Skoje) again.

How long does the story of Patch 2.55 take to go through, roughly?

Wait Holmgang drops kill you now?
They didn't used to. (I mean as the WAR/MRD) I recall doing this and living with 1HP.
Unless I've lost my mind.

The timing on this was absolutely exquisite, because of how Holmgang works.

When you trigger the skill, first it does the animation and throws the chain out, that's what pulls the enemy you're targeting to you and binds both it and you. The skill goes on cooldown after this. Then the effect that grants you the ability to be at 1 HP for 6 seconds and not die triggers after a server tick.

So what he did was, jump off while mashing Holmgang. While in midair, the chain went out and pulled his PvP opponent off the edge. Then he hit the ground and went splat BEFORE the immunity to death effect triggered. A moment later, his unfortunate opponent went splat too.

This is all very funny now but it's also why you can trigger Holmgang as a WAR tanking a boss, see the chain go out, get bound, have it go on cooldown, and then be killed by the boss right after before the immunity to death effect triggers.

WolvenOne

When you trigger the skill, first it does the animation and throws the chain out, that's what pulls the enemy you're targeting to you and binds both it and you. The skill goes on cooldown after this. Then the effect that grants you the ability to be at 1 HP for 6 seconds and not die triggers after a server tick.

So what he did was, jump off while mashing Holmgang. While in midair, the chain went out and pulled his PvP opponent off the edge. Then he hit the ground and went splat BEFORE the immunity to death effect triggered. A moment later, his unfortunate opponent went splat too.

This is all very funny now but it's also why you can trigger Holmgang as a WAR tanking a boss, see the chain go out, get bound, have it go on cooldown, and then be killed by the boss right after before the immunity to death effect triggers.

Yes, this has happened to me in once T13. To be fair, it's possible that my timing was just too close for comfort; but it's still kinda bull that you can have status effect in place and still be killed for a half second.

plake

Yeah. Classic Holmgang and Hallowed Ground. SE need to fix how their GD stuff works. It's frustrating seeing HG go off at a crucial moment but you still die, with it on cooldown regardless.

scy

Well, to be fully technical it's due to attacks "snapshotting" buffs, debuffs, etc. at the time the attack is decided; the damage and all the effects associated occur after the animation resolves based off that snapshot. So Holmgang used after an attack has snapshotted but before it resolves will still execute despite your inevitable death from an attack rolled prior to it being put up. Put another way, if you had used a different defensive cooldown in the same situation, it most likely would not have resolved in time either. It's nothing unique to Holmgang or Hallowed (or Benediction, etc.).

It's one of the big deals about Ninja, actually: Their attacks resolve at the start / first hit of their animations, not the end. Hopefully this means something for DRK in the future (and/or just general system changes as well).

plake

Well, to be fully technical it's due to attacks "snapshotting" buffs, debuffs, etc. at the time the attack is decided; the damage and all the effects associated occur after the animation resolves based off that snapshot. So Holmgang used after an attack has snapshotted but before it resolves will still execute despite your inevitable death from an attack rolled prior to it being put up. Put another way, if you had used a different defensive cooldown in the same situation, it most likely would not have resolved in time either. It's nothing unique to Holmgang or Hallowed (or Benediction, etc.).

It's one of the big deals about Ninja, actually: Their attacks resolve at the start / first hit of their animations, not the end. Hopefully this means something for DRK in the future (and/or just general system changes as well).

Of course. Benediction was another good example. It's those big one's that are more noticeable when something resolves later on. It's just... stupid, to be honest, in my book, that they solved it like that. I'm sure they have their reasoning for it but I'm also sure that there's a solution out there. Although I have no idea how other MMO's handle it.

The Ninja thing sounds promising. Hoping it will get changed sooner than later.

Of course. Benediction was another good example. It's those big one's that are more noticeable when something resolves later on. It's just... stupid, to be honest, in my book, that they solved it like that. I'm sure they have their reasoning for it but I'm also sure that there's a solution out there. Although I have no idea how other MMO's handle it.

The Ninja thing sounds promising. Hoping it will get changed sooner than later.

Other MMOs have events trigger before the animation occurs. Once you see the animation, it's already happened. The animation is just for show. FFXIV is the only major MMO I can think of where the event triggers after the animation completes.

It's also the only MMO where single events must always complete sequentially, presumably to avoid race conditions because it's easier to program that way even though it screws players with skills like Holmgang, HG, and Bene.

You can actually see the way it's hard-programmed for events to complete sequentially in many cases but one I can think of off the top of my head right now is the player explosions after Blackfire in the first phase of Turn 12, the 3 explosions don't happen at the same time, but occur in sequence (BOOM-BOOM-BOOM) and the server coding of event sequence is plainly visible.

Kenai

Damn ok, it's pretty long then. I usually watch all the cutscenes too. I should probably do that soon.

be careful. There is a single DF queue in this story and depending on your luck you could be in for a world of hurt before finally clearing it (or you could get lucky and finish fast, who knows). That could easily tack on some extra time.

MechaX

I have decided that I am going to switch to DRG forever.

Now I just need to figure out how to level this damn class quickly.

Semper88

I have decided that I am going to switch to DRG forever.

Now I just need to figure out how to level this damn class quickly.

Welcome, just make sure you are not tanking the floor and you'll be doing more deeps then the DRG majority.

Also whats up with this game lately? I live in Holland and never had issues with latency but yesterday oh man.. Had a 3-4 second delay on everything. The game freezes and plays >> forward in a couple of seconds.

Aselith

Is there any way to program a macro so it stops if you move? I keep getting dragged into shit by macros going off and flipping me around on some boss fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom