• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
Lol, this thread. Whatever, I'm at 78/80 cards now. The true end game is here.

My dps isn't anything to sneeze at though.

Redx508

I had to

V2rNhYK.jpg

Grisby

Hey FF14 gaf, newbie here. I took the plunge after reading a LTTP thread a few days ago and I'm glad I did. This really is classic Final Fantasy. Sure, it's got the grind of an MMO but considering that I haven't played one of those in a long time, I can deal with it for now.

Game looks rough in some areas but kind of pretty in others. It's pretty neat to see so many people running around in a game again, but I couldn't get on Ultros since they weren't accepting new players.

Playing a game like this with a controller is interesting and kind of a pain so far, but nothing deal breaking.

Some questions:
1) I'm level 16 now and doing the envoy messenger quest. Should I eventually head back to Forest Land (Girdina?) and do more of the repeatable quests to level up or just keep going with the main story?

2)Ok, this one is a little embarrassing but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out to chat with this NPC for a stupid quest that I passed, like, 8 levels ago. It tells me to go into the' say' window and hail this dude but every time I'm sure I say it right (and have him targeted, it doesn't work. Pretty sure I've got the quotations down and everything.

3) I eventually want to rock out as a white mage. I read up that I need to be a lvl 30 conjurer and a lvl15 arcanist. My question though, should I pump all the extra attribute points into mind or at least put one or two into the magic attack stat (intelligence, whatever it was). I mean, I know healing is going to be what I'm doing the most endgame but I wouldn't mind if my spells were a little more powerful.

4)When should I start doing job stuff? I'm looking at botany, but I'm wondering if it's a separate deal from your class. As in, If i switch to botany does that mean I'm not a conjurer anymore?

5)When can I start buying some of these awesome pets I'm seeing running around?

Thanks fellas.

aceface

Hey FF14 gaf, newbie here. I took the plunge after reading a LTTP thread a few days ago and I'm glad I did. This really is classic Final Fantasy. Sure, it's got the grind of an MMO but considering that I haven't played one of those in a long time, I can deal with it for now.

Game looks rough in some areas but kind of pretty in others. It's pretty neat to see so many people running around in a game again, but I couldn't get on Ultros since they weren't accepting new players.

Playing a game like this with a controller is interesting and kind of a pain so far, but nothing deal breaking.

Some questions:
1) I'm level 16 now and doing the envoy messenger quest. Should I eventually head back to Forest Land (Girdina?) and do more of the repeatable quests to level up or just keep going with the main story?

2)Ok, this one is a little embarrassing but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out to chat with this NPC for a stupid quest that I passed, like, 8 levels ago. It tells me to go into the' say' window and hail this dude but every time I'm sure I say it right (and have him targeted, it doesn't work. Pretty sure I've got the quotations down and everything.

3) I eventually want to rock out as a white mage. I read up that I need to be a lvl 30 conjurer and a lvl15 arcanist. My question though, should I pump all the extra attribute points into mind or at least put one or two into the magic attack stat (intelligence, whatever it was). I mean, I know healing is going to be what I'm doing the most endgame but I wouldn't mind if my spells were a little more powerful.

4)When should I start doing job stuff? I'm looking at botany, but I'm wondering if it's a separate deal from your class. As in, If i switch to botany does that mean I'm not a conjurer anymore?

5)When can I start buying some of these awesome pets I'm seeing running around?

Thanks fellas.

Should have waited on Ultros, it opens periodically, usually late at night or early in the morning.

1. Main story quests will give you most of the exp you need to get your main to 50. Also try doing the hunting log.

2. Take out the quotation marks and make sure the capitalization matches.

3. No, put it all in mind. When you are doing dps as a healer you will be in cleric stance which swaps your mind and int stats.

4. No You can be any and all jobs at once and switch between them at will. Do it whenever you want.

5. You should get some as rewards from story quests soon. Just make sure to go into your inventory and use them.

Stuart444

Thanks fellas.

3. All mind. CNJ/WHM has Cleric Stance which basically switches your MND/INT stats. Aka your attack spells will do more dmg. get used to stance dancing so you too can be a healer that knows how to dps and heal to speed up dungeons :)

4. You can switch to any class, you won't lose any progress in other classes. Become anything, and by changing your weapon, you switch back to the other class. Learn about Gearsets as that is going to be your main means of switching classes without having to put all your gear back on manually.

One of the tabs on the character screen shows what level you are in all Classes/jobs. So don't worry about losing progress by switching to another :)

edit: so...

The Terrible Guide to Maximizing your Class

I got some giggles out of this.

Grisby

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies Stuart and Aceface.

Also, those fat chocobos are a flippin' riot. And the music is freaking killer. Really good stuff going on here.

Soroc

I've just come back over the last week from a year long break.

I'm playing catchup with the main scenario and trying to gear up but one thing I noticed which is weird is that my Duty Roulette: Trials is still locked and when I highlight it I see the following

From what I can tell, the pre-requisites for Roulette Trials used to be Cape Westwind, Ifrit HM, Titan HM, Garuda HM, Whorleater HM, Relic Reborn: Hydra, Relic Reborn: Chimera, Battle on Big Bridge.

I've completed all of the above already, I have my relic weapon and I've unlocked most extremes.

But now I don't know what it requires but I'm pretty sure I have the majority and it shouldn't show so many ???? in that picture.

iammeiam

But now I don't know what it requires but I'm pretty sure I have the majority and it shouldn't show so many ???? in that picture.

You need to catch up on the story and finish the Hildebrand stuff. Mog, Ramuh, Shiva, Chrysalis, Steps, Greg mk 2, Ultros are all in Trial Roulette off the top of my head. Additionally, if you did things before they were in DF at all, you need to touch the exit to unlock DF access to them I think.

Valor

I've just come back over the last week from a year long break.

I'm playing catchup with the main scenario and trying to gear up but one thing I noticed which is weird is that my Duty Roulette: Trials is still locked and when I highlight it I see the following

From what I can tell, the pre-requisites for Roulette Trials used to be Cape Westwind, Ifrit HM, Titan HM, Garuda HM, Whorleater HM, Relic Reborn: Hydra, Relic Reborn: Chimera, Battle on Big Bridge.

I've completed all of the above already, I have my relic weapon and I've unlocked most extremes.

A bunch of those are from Hildibrand quests, so go do those. Then the other primals, and the two new storyline trials I believe are also in there? So, it's not as bad as it seems.

Soroc

A bunch of those are from Hildibrand quests, so go do those. Then the other primals, and the two new storyline trials I believe are also in there? So, it's not as bad as it seems.

I've already done battle on big bridge up to Shiva and just completed Shiva. You would think some of the ???? would be going away.

Its just weird to me that I have a single unlocked trial right smack in the middle. How is that possible without unlocking the ???? before it?

You need to catch up on the story and finish the Hildebrand stuff. Mog, Ramuh, Shiva, Chrysalis, Steps, Greg mk 2, Ultros are all in Trial Roulette off the top of my head. Additionally, if you did things before they were in DF at all, you need to touch the exit to unlock DF access to them I think.

Did all of those up to and completed Shiva. I should be seeing some of those ???? actually state the trial now correct?

edit: oh and yes I always exit every instance the right way. I remember that from back last year.

Should I open a bug ticket with support?

So how long did it take for folks to get used to placing earthshakers? We've been in there about a week or so and the dps are still lingering a tad too long and dying in puddles or they don't commit to a side until it's too late.

Valor

So how long did it take for folks to get used to placing earthshakers? We've been in there about a week or so and the dps are still lingering a tad too long and dying in puddles or they don't commit to a side until it's too late.

Everyone learns at their own rate, honestly. For some it takes like two or three times seeing it, some take longer.

Cmagus

So new video from PAX showing off some end game gear for Heavensward.

Heavensward Gear

Some of these look really cool especially Bard and Ninja and the leatherworker and Alchemist gear looks great as well. Black Mage yet again looks like a circus reject...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
[9:13]You cast your line on the Rhotano Sea (sterncastle).
[9:14]Something bites!
[9:14]You land a Nepto Dragon measuring 185.4 ilms!
[9:14]Data on the Nepto Dragon is added to your fish guide.
[9:14]You put away your rod.

So much for these epic proportions, even the Endoceras in the record book was bigger.
Still need Shoni and Kuno however...

Tash

So new video from PAX showing off some end game gear for Heavensward.

Heavensward Gear

Some of these look really cool especially Bard and Ninja and the leatherworker and Alchemist gear looks great as well. Black Mage yet again looks like a circus reject...

I think the Black Mage is kickass looking.
I really fucking hate the Scholar one, as a matter of fact that thing really pisses me off because that top hat is not only totally ugly it's also a real wtf-where-they-thinking-moment.

Why is Summoner all white and healery and super nice while SCH gets a black-clown-magician outfit?!

SMN is amazing, WHM is amazing, Bard is amazing, Ninja is amazing, BLM is amazing and the rest is also super nice but SCH..fuck no :/

But heh, we all know what they say about personal taste, eh? ;)

On another topic, I know the benchmark is supposed to come out soon (during a JP Event?). I guess there is a date? Just couldn't find it.

Kenai

SCH looks like they were going for a Dr. Jekyll thing but yea it ain't pretty. BRD and WVR and FSH won overall I think.

iammeiam

Echo defanged T12 EVEN FURTHER so: We did a thing!

Solo tank (WAR)/Solo Heal (SCH) T12. I apologize for inflicting my UI on all of you again, but I think I'm the only one who went in and recorded it. I also... kind of wasn't expecting to clear so the camera angle is pretty terrible most of the time. I also apologize for terrible barding in general buuut I was preoccupied with having to do A MECHANIC and trying to only blow Korra up at the appropriate times. But we did it \o/. After a surprisingly small number of wipes working out things.

My understanding is that CDs on PLD wouldn't work as well for this, so I guess this definitively settles the debate. WAR is the superior MT even when you only have one healer.

Disclaimer: This clear brought to you in large part by Echo, Bad Ideas, Dead Game, and Dreaming the Impossible Dream That Still Remains Impossible Unless We Can Dig Up Like Another Thousand DPS Somewhere. I guess really it was mostly work for the tank and healer? So good for them. It can also probably be done a lot smoother and cleaner, but this was not at all planned and basically the epitome of Why Not?

Did all of those up to and completed Shiva. I should be seeing some of those ???? actually state the trial now correct?

edit: oh and yes I always exit every instance the right way. I remember that from back last year.

Compare the list of things you can queue for in the Trials section of DF with this list. I should have said entrance--I know if you did a trial before it was in DF, you essentially have to reattune after it's added to DF to be able to DF it. It is very likely you're missing things or not attuned; it's fairly unlikely this is a support issue.

Tash

I just don't get that SE can't stick to a certain theme for SOME of the classes. I mean first we SCH get the whole school boy/girl outfit but the books are all white angelic looking (man I love the Zodiac model..) and now we go into a voodoo priest, feather, top-hat abomination?

SMN always had their own thing going including the color scheme and all of a sudden they are turned into a white unicorn (granted a really cool looking white unicorn - minus the horn part: Unless they let you headbutt-impale enemies as a new special skill :p).

Anyway, I just don't get why they changed the theme of the SCH so much for Heavensward. Unless the new spells are like siphoning energy to heal or somesuch, which would kinda turn them into evil voodoo priests. Then the outfit would kinda fit again..I guess..somehow..

Kenai

It's prolly cause SCH isn't quite as definite as some of the other classes on how they look, or even what they do, from game to game. Not much consistent design, not even sure they did the schoolgirl/boy thing in another game for them besides F11. So it's probably one of the ones they are gonna experiment with more going forward. SMN is probably gonna have their horn most of the time, for example. BLM is probably always gonna have a partially concealed face/pointy hat. WHM is probably gonna have a hood. SCH...whatever. Eyewear? They got it (lol). I'm sure it won't always look this bad, and at least we have glamours.

Ken

So far, SCH has been defined by the fancy but not-wizard pointy hat, collar things, and thick vest/coat. Put up a silhouette of the new AF and I'm sure most players would know it's SCH by the hat. Should also be noted the silly hat and "I'm a smart person" look is also present in their Elk gear. An "advanced" version of the old AF doesn't really work with Ishgard's aristocratic/Victorian theme (that presents itself in the other cloth-type AF) or the more somber tone of Heavensward overall (though it is a great loss for zetta ryouiki fans everywhere).

Giving it a glance, I think it's a decent interpretation although a poor representation because ew, male Elezen; I'm sure it'd look fine on lalafell.

Tash

Energy Drain is a thing.

It's my kinda crack

It's prolly cause SCH isn't quite as definite as some of the other classes on how they look, or even what they do, from game to game. Not much consistent design, not even sure they did the schoolgirl/boy thing in another game for them besides F11. So it's probably one of the ones they are gonna experiment with more going forward. SMN is probably gonna have their horn most of the time, for example. BLM is probably always gonna have a partially concealed face/pointy hat. WHM is probably gonna have a hood. SCH...whatever. Eyewear? They got it (lol). I'm sure it won't always look this bad, and at least we have glamours.

Yeah, very good points :)
Even though, as a lala, not that much glamours that look good :(
But I'll most probably go Au Ra anyway, so, yay!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I love Elk books. They look distinct and I've never seen anybody equip those.
I don't love having to grind the PVP rank to use them.

The real problem with scholar design is that they're lumped in with WHM and every unihealer costume design seems to be tailored to the druid-in-robes archetype rather than the strategist background that scholars have. And now with the "You're a clergy!" theme we have forming in Heavensward for healers it's gonna be even worse.

Bought Nico Premium not to get booted like an unwashed plebeian for the weekend. The stream was for some reason pretty hard to find, no direct links on official websites.

Tiops

I'm going to try some Final Coil via duty finder. Anyone here tried it yet? Is it even possible for T10 and T11? I know T12 and specially T13 must be impossible, but T6 and T7 are pretty easy even on DF.

Just started my first craft class and so far so good, picked goldsmith.

Since I finished the main scenario I'm just gonna work on crafting till Heavensward most likely.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to try some Final Coil via duty finder. Anyone here tried it yet? Is it even possible for T10 and T11? I know T12 and specially T13 must be impossible, but T6 and T7 are pretty easy even on DF.

T6 and T7 were nerfed to all hell, the echo buff is insane, and is there even an ilevel limit?

You are going to have a terrible time doing it in DF. Even Party Finder is iffy.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Echo defanged T12 EVEN FURTHER so: We did a thing!

Solo tank (WAR)/Solo Heal (SCH) T12. I apologize for inflicting my UI on all of you again, but I think I'm the only one who went in and recorded it. I also... kind of wasn't expecting to clear so the camera angle is pretty terrible most of the time. I also apologize for terrible barding in general buuut I was preoccupied with having to do A MECHANIC and trying to only blow Korra up at the appropriate times. But we did it \o/. After a surprisingly small number of wipes working out things.

My understanding is that CDs on PLD wouldn't work as well for this, so I guess this definitively settles the debate. WAR is the superior MT even when you only have one healer.

Disclaimer: This clear brought to you in large part by Echo, Bad Ideas, Dead Game, and Dreaming the Impossible Dream That Still Remains Impossible Unless We Can Dig Up Like Another Thousand DPS Somewhere. I guess really it was mostly work for the tank and healer? So good for them. It can also probably be done a lot smoother and cleaner, but this was not at all planned and basically the epitome of Why Not?

Compare the list of things you can queue for in the Trials section of DF with this list. I should have said entrance--I know if you did a trial before it was in DF, you essentially have to reattune after it's added to DF to be able to DF it. It is very likely you're missing things or not attuned; it's fairly unlikely this is a support issue.

Grats guy. That looked like a mess though, and I'm not talking about your UI.

dramatis

The ??? only state the trial if you unlocked the trial but haven't completed it.

It's not that you exit the instance the right way. It's that you have to physically go to the Chimera entrance in the overworld (Eastern Thanlan) or the Hydra entrance in the overworld (Coerthas) and touch on the entrance points to 'register' the instance for Duty Finder. Even if you have completed it before, because those weren't added to Duty Finder until after you left.

Yep! I've done T10 a total of 4 times in Duty Finder and all 4 were successful after enough pulls. Even cleared one that had 4 people get the achievement at the end.

I only tried T11 once and the tank was a douche so it didn't end up well, but I know Gylbart was able to clear 11 in DF successfully so it can definitely be done.

I'm sure the same goes for 12 and 13 but it'll be a lot harder to find the golden groups for those, but 10 is definitely easy mode in DF. Don't be afraid to dive in if you've watched your videos!

iammeiam

Grats guy. That looked like a mess though, and I'm not talking about your UI.

I'm sure it can and will immediately be done cleaner as more people start messing around, but it didn't feel that bad/chaotic in practice. I think that was pull 5; 1-3 were all wipes within a minute or two to various things (Blackfire is interesting with no OT), so it was only the second time in final phase. People doing Fountain somehow had that on lock immediately; it does mean no DPS gets to tunnel as everyone has something to keep track of.

I am curious if we could get it clean enough to try it with echo clicked off, but I think that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom