• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shun

*Sigh* Odin died on me in Conquest chapter 10... Do I do it again? That mission was a such a pain in the ass. Is he even worth it?

Yes because Odin, despite being a shit unit, is probably one of the more entertaining characters alongside his child.

What difficulty are you on? Keep at it because this map needs you to take advantage of your turrets and playing defensively. Don't over commit.

My strategy was to keep Niles, Effie, and Harold to the right.
Odin, Nyx, Azura to the left.
Felicia/Jakob, Silas, and Corrin in the middle.

Then you have the enemies concentrate in the middle while fending off the right.

Edit: Put in my english cart in my homebrew JP n3DS hoping that it will read my JP save and extra data. It doesn't and I'm holding out on whether or not I want to make the commitment to go through it again first when I'm still support grinding the other one for pegasusknight transcripts.

Wubbys

Do any characters that died in battle on permadeath mode before chapter 6 come back for and after chapter six? Because I am playing on hard was getting destroyed and was going to start over but it looks like maybe they are back after you choose a side?

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Do any characters that died in battle on permadeath mode before chapter 6 come back for and after chapter six? Because I am playing on hard was getting destroyed and was going to start over but it looks like maybe they are back after you choose a side?

It seems that at least ally characters who you later get to have won't be gone if they die. I'm not sure about your units since I haven't had any die but I imagine it's probably the same.

Yes because Odin, despite being a shit unit, is probably one of the more entertaining characters alongside his child.

What difficulty are you on? Keep at it because this map needs you to take advantage of your turrets and playing defensively. Don't over commit.

My strategy was to keep Niles, Effie, and Harold to the right.
Odin, Nyx, Azura to the left.
Felicia/Jakob, Silas, and Corrin in the middle.

Then you have the enemies concentrate in the middle while fending off the right.
I'm on Normal :lol

Everything was going perfectly fine, I was 2 turns away from the 11 turns you need until I paired Corrin with Odin but I forgot to switch so Odin was the front unit. He got killed by a fucking Pegasus Knight

a Pegasus Knight

Looks I'm marrying Felicia.
She's saving me, dodging every certain death attack, and actually more useful then I thought.

She owned chapter 8

Yay Got my SE woo hoo!

So, Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game and I beat that on Normal, and I'm thinking about starting Birthright on Hard. Will I be alright or am I gonna lit up like a Christmas tree?

Wubbys

It seems that at least ally characters who you later get to have won't be gone if they die. I'm not sure about your units since I haven't had any die but I imagine it's probably the same.
Cool looks like i dont have to start over yet. Hard mode is a son a bitch though. Can't remember losing this many units in awakening :(.

Shun

I'm on Normal :lol

Everything was going perfectly fine, I was 2 turns away from the 11 turns you need until I paired Corrin with Odin but I forgot to switch so Odin was the front unit. He got killed by a fucking Pegasus Knight

a Pegasus Knight

imo pairing up in this chapter is best saved for characters that need the tank. Like throwing Harold in Effie.

For the most part I kept all my characters adjacent to one another and never paired up because I would dual attack more often and I would still get the bonuses. Pairing up means less opportunities to attack, especially when you are trying to bottleneck your enemies and keep your base safe.

Odin has paper thin defense, same with Nyx and they're both fairly slow. Pegasus have higher resistances so it's not a good matchup at all.

Rozart

Is
Ryoma
expected to
die
in Chapter 5? I've managed to get all my units to survive just fine and I'm able to get Kamui to stand right next to him but he
dies on the very next turn
. @_@ Every single time he
dies on Turn 4

Chase17

And I've got my first restart Birthright/Hard Chapter 7.

Totally my fault too. Already loving the game story isn't as bad as some made it to be. It's a wonder what low expectations can do for you.

Is
Ryoma
expected to
die
in Chapter 5? I've managed to get all my units to survive just fine and I'm able to get Kamui to stand right next to him but he
dies on Turn 4

yes he's supposed to, don't worry about it

Rutger

Banned
Hm...
I felt like starting with Hard mode for Nohr, but I'd like to have a Lunatic Hoshido started as well. I'm not seeing anything for the difficulty level in the branch of fate option though, do I have to start a new file?

It's not a big deal if I do, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Going into this blind, I'm playing a female character who is a Sky Knight with a Clever Boon and a Weak Bane. I'm just assuming this is +Magic -Strength and rolling with it. :p

imo pairing up in this chapter is best saved for characters that need the tank. Like throwing Harold in Effie.

For the most part I kept all my characters adjacent to one another and never paired up because I would dual attack more often and I would still get the bonuses. Pairing up means less opportunities to attack, especially when you are trying to bottleneck your enemies and keep your base safe.

Odin has paper thin defense, same with Nyx and they're both fairly slow. Pegasus have higher resistances so it's not a good matchup at all.
That makes sense. I'll try it again with your strategy and see how it goes, I already made another save with Odin dead anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Holy shit chapter 8 nohr can fuck right off with this bullshit.
Is that the Snow Tribe one? I liked that one :p Use Niles to go after the mages because he destroys them.

Ala Alba

Is
Ryoma
expected to
die
dies on Turn 4

yes he's supposed to, don't worry about it

The first time I tried that map he did, the second time a crazy lucky string of rolls meant things turned out quite differently lol.

Wilsongt

That makes sense. I'll try it again with your strategy and see how it goes, I already made another save with Odin dead anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Is that the Snow Tribe one? I liked that one :p Use Niles to go after the mages because he destroys them.

Niles isn't the problem. It's everyone else lol

Dad

Either you guys are all great or I'm just trash because Chapter 5 hard mode stomped my ass repeatedly trying to get everyone through alive

Kaiterra

Banned
So uh, what the hell, I bought both physical cartridges... Is there NO WAY to get either one to recognize that I own the other path? That's stupid as hell!

Gestahl

Is Felicia really a promoted unit? If yes, why does she suck so much then? :/

The two butlers still get 40 levels so they're sort of inbetween. They're basically units with terrible bases that have already gotten their promotion bonuses so it balances out until your normal units start promoting and eclipse them completely.

Draxal

Is Felicia really a promoted unit? If yes, why does she suck so much then? :/

She's basically a promoted unit that starts at level 1 with low bases. She can level up to 40 without needing to use the level raising seals, and she gets xp based on a lower level unlike a promoted unit.

Basically her and Joker are the real oddballs of this game.

Shun

Felicia is great for supports. She's just paper thin and isn't as good as Jakob. She can be pretty useful.

Niles isn't the problem. It's everyone else lol

The map is sorta designed to be impossible for you to reach the other villages except the very first one.

This is one of the few chapters where Odin/Felicia/Niles/Javelin Silas were seriously the real MVPs. Dragonstone tanking will help a ton too with Harold as your pair up.

It helps to let the opponents try to attack you first instead of overcommitting to prevent losing health early on.

Kill the mages on the left with odin/niles first, the proceed around the map northwards in a counter clockwise fashion using Effie/Niles/Corrin as a tank and the other units to help clean up.

Dragponvein can only be used once so that's your opportunity to stop your opponents in your tracks and use that turn to help set up and reveal.

I think you're SOL.

You might have missed the OT before you bought but if you can try returning one version and getting the rest as a digital add on. There isn't a reason to get 2 physical copies outside of collecting. The dowloaded versions take very little space on the SD card and it is cheaper than two physical copies. returning one will let you afford all 3 paths instead of just 2!

May have missed it this morning, but how do we change our main character's class? I chose Ninja as his 'preferred class' at the beginning, and I'm still a Nohr Prince in chapter 6 or so. When I scroll over weapons in my main hub's store, daggers are greyed out which I assume means I can't even use those weapons right now.

Ala Alba

Either you guys are all great or I'm just trash because Chapter 5 hard mode stomped my ass repeatedly trying to get everyone through alive

I did it on hard mode without much problems. Only one restart. Basically, just send everyone left for the first two enemies, then double-back and stomp the guys coming up the left when they get close. Finally, lure out the mage on the right side, and let them come to you.

Just have Corrin stomp whoever is the most dangerous (can one-hit kill anything on the map), and have Rinkah and Kaze take another. Give extra turns to whoever is the most needed at that moment.

Thread title really should have been "We've got feet!"

Bare feet.

Wilsongt

Felicia is great for supports. She's just paper thin and isn't as good as Jakob. She can be pretty useful.

The map is sorta designed to be impossible for you to reach the other villages except the very first one.

This is one of the few chapters where Odin/Felicia/Niles/Javelin Silas were seriously the real MVPs. Dragonstone tanking will help a ton too with Harold as your pair up.

It helps to let the opponents try to attack you first instead of overcommitting to prevent losing health early on.

Kill the mages on the left with odin/niles first, the proceed around the map northwards in a counter clockwise fashion using Effie/Niles/Corrin as a tank and the other units to help clean up.

Dragponvein can only be used once so that's your opportunity to stop your opponents in your tracks and use that turn to help set up and reveal.

You might have missed the OT before you bought but if you can try returning one version and getting the rest as a digital add on. There isn't a reason to get 2 physical copies outside of collecting. The dowloaded versions take very little space on the SD card and it is cheaper than two physical copies. returning one will let you afford all 3 paths instead of just 2!

Managed to clear out the trash. Lots of pulling enemies to me and picking them off. Need to get back into classic FE mind and not Awakening mind.

Shun

May have missed it this morning, but how do we change our main character's class? I chose Ninja as his 'preferred class' at the beginning, and I'm still a Nohr Prince in chapter 6 or so. When I scroll over weapons in my main hub's store, daggers are greyed out which I assume means I can't even use those weapons right now.

You need a parallel seal which is available in the item shop not the weapon one.

It's greyed out because your unit can't use those weapons without the proper weapon rank or class.

I assume you're playing Birthright first?

ChrisD

I love how bad the story is in this prologue.
And by love I mean I don't even remember Awakening being this poor.

Game is fun, but I ain't gonna' lie on that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So as a total newbie, how are you supposed to get through the game if you aren't allowed to grind on previous maps? If you make a mistake early on, are you basically screwed?

You need a parallel seal which is available in the item shop not the weapon one.

It's greyed out because your unit can't use those weapons without the proper weapon rank or class.

I assume you're playing Birthright first?

Err no. Conquest. I see people talking about ninja in conquest and it gave me the option, I hope it isn't locked to Birthright lol

Shun

So as a total newbie, how are you supposed to get through the game if you aren't allowed to grind on previous maps? If you make a mistake early on, are you basically screwed?

No you just spend more time thinking whether or not it's safe. Defensive play is smarter than rushing in your units and attacking at every possible chance. Unless you have a turn limit, it's recommended to let the enemy come to you most of the time, rather than just running out there hoping you don't die.

You're only screwed if you funnel all your experience to like 2 units.

Err no. Conquest. I see people talking about ninja in conquest and it gave me the option, I hope it isn't locked to Birthright lol

Oh no so if that's the case it's the same deal. You need to get the item shop that sells the heals and potions and that one will have your first parallel seal.

You can definitely be a ninja and that's a great class. Just not really recommended to reclass right away in Conquest because ninja is easier to die. You stats will grow better if you stick to prince and dragonstone before moving to ninja. Save that parallel seal for someone who needs it more.

Lunar15

You never needed to grind, even in Awakening. It's just there so that you can grind up weaker/later units so that you can be friends/lovers with anyone you want.

Not being able to grind just means you should be a teensy bit more careful about who's getting experience on any given map.

How the hell was I even supposed to know this without internet research beforehand? What a STUPID decision. It's not like I wanted to buy both carts anyway, I wanted the SE, I just didn't know they would print like ten copies.

I'm in the same boat. I don't even know how I should feel.

Brakke

Banned
1) I want to play Birthright before Conquest.
2) For some reason Amazon is going to deliver Conquest separately from Birthright, and a day earlier.
3) I don't know how the savegames interact here. Can I start Conquest tonight, play up to the split point, and then resume from that point on Birthright when it arrives? Am I going to have to play the prologue part twice?

No you just spend more time thinking whether or not it's safe. Defensive play is smarter than rushing in your units and attacking at every possible chance. Unless you have a turn limit, it's recommended to let the enemy come to you most of the time, rather than just running out there hoping you don't die.

You're only screwed if you funnel all your experience to like 2 units.

Oh no so if that's the case it's the same deal. You need to get the item shop that sells the heals and potions and that one will have your first parallel seal.

You can definitely be a ninja and that's a great class. Just not really recommended to reclass right away in Conquest because ninja is easier to die. You stats will grow better if you stick to prince and dragonstone before moving to ninja. Save that parallel seal for someone who needs it more.

What do you mean by Dragonstone? You mean stick with Prince and its advanced class maxed out before moving to Ninja?

Kaiterra

Banned

Well, see, I preordered both from Amazon with the thinking that doing so with the Prime discount would make it possible for me to afford Revelation from the savings from doing so. From what I can find online, since I already opened both games (to test if Conquest would detect Birthright's system or save file data, the way it SHOULD work), if I return Birthright to Amazon, I can only get a refund for 50% of what I paid for it at this point.

Dad

I did it on hard mode without much problems. Only one restart. Basically, just send everyone left for the first two enemies, then double-back and stomp the guys coming up the left when they get close. Finally, lure out the mage on the right side, and let them come to you.

Just have Corrin stomp whoever is the most dangerous (can one-hit kill anything on the map), and have Rinkah and Kaze take another. Give extra turns to whoever is the most needed at that moment.

Bare feet.
My Rinkah and Kaze had a couple of poor levels which may have been the problem seeing as they couldn't even take down a mage together. I just ended up running enemies around convoluted paths and into Corrin. Took me 5 tries to find all the ways of exploiting the AI I needed

I've gotten a number of seals to unlock specific classes early on (from the free DLC map, and one or two from Path bonuses)...should I go ahead and use them now, or wait until my units are a certain level?

Shun

Well, see, I preordered both from Amazon with the thinking that doing so with the Prime discount would make it possible for me to afford Revelation from the savings from doing so. From what I can find online, since I already opened both games (to test if Conquest would detect Birthright's system or save file data, the way it SHOULD work), if I return Birthright to Amazon, I can only get a refund for 50% of what I paid for it at this point.

You could return to Target for a gift card for MSRP and use that to buy a eShop card for it.

So long as you show ID. At least that is what my housemate does when he goes to return stuff I am always amazed by return culture here.

Oh never mind you opened it. I mean you could try trading in while the value is still there and recuperate what you can, or sell to someone else. Sorry that you got caught off guard. with it.

What do you mean by Dragonstone? You mean stick with Prince and its advanced class maxed out before moving to Ninja?

The Dark Prince class is good for earlier in the game because you can transform and use swords. You can tank hits more. Stick to it because when you promote and reclass to the promoted ninja, you can still get the skills for the unpromoted class. Declassing to ninja this early may make you hit a wall and make the game artificially harder at that point.

Top Bottom