• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So just to make sure I don't miss out on skill acquisition, when is the 'optimal' time to use friendship/heart/marriage seals, assuming I want to get as large a spread as possible?

The wiki states that if you re-class as a promoted unit, you get one new skill from the base class each level, and then up to the promoted class (if applicable), but what happens if you're 20/20?

You could return to Target for a gift card for MSRP and use that to buy a eShop card for it.

So long as you show ID. At least that is what my housemate does when he goes to return stuff I am always amazed by return culture here.

Oh never mind you opened it. I mean you could try trading in while the value is still there and recuperate what you can, or sell to someone else.

The Dark Prince class is good for earlier in the game because you can transform and use swords. You can tank hits more. Stick to it because when you promote and reclass to the promoted ninja, you can still get the skills for the unpromoted class. Declassing to ninja this early may make you hit a wall and make the game artificially harder at that point.

ah gotcha, didn't realize the transformation was reserved for base class. I guess I'll go a bit further in this class before I switch.

I got birthright.

I knew the choice was coming, but the actual scene where it happens is actually pretty well done.

The Nohr royal family is more interesting than the Hoshidan family so far... I feel pretty bad for them actually.

Azuran

Banned
So as a total newbie, how are you supposed to get through the game if you aren't allowed to grind on previous maps? If you make a mistake early on, are you basically screwed?

Grinding has never been necessary. Just be smart when distributing XP and make sure to have a set group of units you like that support each other instead of using everyone.

Rutger

Banned
Hm...
I felt like starting with Hard mode for Nohr, but I'd like to have a Lunatic Hoshido started as well. I'm not seeing anything for the difficulty level in the branch of fate option though, do I have to start a new file?

It's not a big deal if I do, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I guess I can't change difficulties with the branch of fate option?
Looks like I should have started with Lunatic, haha. Oh well, time to go through those chapters again.

Draxal

I love Felicia's "You're a stain!" crit quote.

Azura's hp is still god awful, but she's getting really good str growth in my rev file.

So just to make sure I don't miss out on skill acquisition, when is the 'optimal' time to use friendship/heart/marriage seals, assuming I want to get as large a spread as possible?

The wiki states that if you re-class as a promoted unit, you get one new skill from the base class, and then up to the promoted class (if applicable), but what happens if you're 20/20?

yeah curious about this too now. I want to eventually use my heart seal to transform my avatar into a ninja, but if switching using a heart seal means I don't lose my class level/class progression does that mean I should wait until I hit level 20 in my base class before I switch? Or switch before hitting level 20?

yeah curious about this too now. I want to eventually use my heart seal to transform my avatar into a ninja, but if switching using a heart seal means I don't lose my class level/class progression does that mean I should wait until I hit level 20 in my base class before I switch? Or switch before hitting level 20?
You keep your level now when you reclass.

Ala Alba

Your level does not reset when using a seal. If you use a heart seal at level 20, you will be a level 20 ninja.

So for stats up on Level Up, is the RNG seed locked in place as soon as the file has been made? I have never had a different level up result even when I reset the entire chapter; though it seems starting a fresh new game does change when the level ups occur.

Also: Never tried Lunatic before, glad to see it's handing me my ass in the first chapter.

Shun

The wiki states that if you re-class as a promoted unit, you get one new skill from the base class each level, and then up to the promoted class (if applicable), but what happens if you're 20/20?

This is how classes work in the game

Changing classes will have you retain your level no matter what with the exception of promoting a unit, which you can only do once and it is recommended that you do it once you hit level 20 for the best stats.

When you promote, you get skills at level 5 and level 15. During your promotion, you can change between classes and when you do, you can gain all the skills from the unprompted version, then learn the skills from the promoted class. You could reclass in your unprompted state, but it might make things a bit more difficult and you're wasting precious parallel seals that you can use for someone else.

For example if I were to promote the Nohr Prince, I could then reclass to a different class like a Paladin or Great Knight with my Parallel/Friend/Heart Seal whatever, and while you level up as a Great Knight, you will learn the skills for a Cavalier before learning Luna and the other skills as a Paladin/Great Knight.

The best time to reclass is when you are promoted to get the skills needed. You can only get a certain amount of skills, but later in the game you get an item that can raise your max level by 5 and you can continue to learn and reclass until you get all the skills you want. But you'll need to grind to make the most broken unit possible.

The maps so far feel like puzzles. They definitely can't be brute forced.

Chapter 8 required a lot of restarts, but I eventually found the proper strategy to save exactly three villages. I really needed those funds!

So far, my units are doing very well. Silas is level 10 and has great stats, so he's definitely on my team. We'll see how the next few chapters go.

Geneijin

How the hell was I even supposed to know this without internet research beforehand? What a STUPID decision. It's not like I wanted to buy both carts anyway, I wanted the SE, I just didn't know they would print like ten copies.
I just found out when you did. It's bullshit.

Shun

All right I guess I'm confusing this with Awakening I guess.

So in theory I could hit level 20 with my base class, switch to another class, get its skills fairly quickly and then switch to a master class?

Hit level 20 with your first class, promote, then switch. You will still get the skills from the previous class you just save on parallel seals and you don't waste precious resources.

stuminus3

Sorry if this has been answered a hundred times but if I buy one version digitally and buy the other two versions from within that as DLC are they all launched from within the same application? Or are there separate "Birthright" and "Conquest" icons on your home menu?

Draxal

Sorry if this has been answered a hundred times but if I buy one version digitally and buy the other two versions from within that as DLC are they all launched from within the same application? Or are there separate "Birthright" and "Conquest" icons on your home menu?

Same application.

Hit level 20 with your first class, promote, then switch. You will still get the skills from the previous class you just save on parallel seals and you don't waste precious resources.

Thanks. So we can promote and switch instantly without issues? Cool

Once we promote from base class and switch to another (class B) at level 20, are we still limited to leveling up 10 times before being able to promote?

Shun

Won't you just be able to grind for whatever you need on DLC maps?

If you want to grind, not everyone wants to. And on Conquest it's basically impossible until the single EXP DLC is out anyway.

You can also buy skills by visiting other players castles online but those cost a ton of gold and those completely break the game's balance.

Not recommended unless you seriously want to cheese or until postgame where all you want to do is maximize your online team.

Once we promote from base class and switch to another (class B) at level 20, are we still limited to leveling up 10 times before being able to promote?

Other than promoting, when you switch classes. You stay at your level. Your level does not reset at all when changing sideways. only up and down. Nohr Prince 20 to unprompted ninja = 20.

You level up Nohr Prince to 20, promote, then reclass to promoted Ninja. You can start right away as the promoted ninja and get the skills for the base ninja.

Draxal

When you switch you're still at the same level.

So Nohr Prince will be 20 > seal to Ninja would be level 20.

Depends which version you're going with. IIRC female is better for Birthright, male for Conquest. Don't be afraid to correct me if I'm wrong.

Doesn't really matter, but Jakob's better earlier as he can reclass into a Great Knight and add some early game bulk/tankiness, while Felicia can't. You get Jakob earlier if you play as a female mc.

Mr. RPG

I got Conquest today, but I haven't started it yet.

My hope is that the game is as good or at least half as good as the classic Fire Emblem games.

Depends which version you're going with. IIRC female is better for Birthright, male for Conquest. Don't be afraid to correct me if I'm wrong.

I was initially planning to do female with Conquest and Male for Birthright. As the game drew closer, I began to have different ideas. Now I'm back to being indecisive.

ryseing

Doesn't really matter, but Jakob's better earlier as he can reclass into a Great Knight and add some early game bulk/tankiness, while Felicia can't. You get Jakob earlier if you play as a female mc.

That was my reasoning, although my Birthright Felicia ain't too shabby.

I was initially planning to do female with Conquest and Male for Birthright. As the game drew closer, I began to have different ideas. Now I'm back to being indecisive.

Ultimately? Do what you want. First playthough isn't about optimization anyway. Look at the various pairings on both sides and see who you like the best.

Shun

I get that, but does it mean that to go from Class B to Master Class B options do we need to go from level 20 to 30? Or can we promote at any moment to the master class?

You can switch whenever you want to the mastered class. There is no level 30 unless you use an item to uncap your level limit by 5 levels. You're capped at 20.

When you promote from Nohr Prince to the promotion, you get changed from level 20 to level 1. From there you can reclass to the promoted ninja and all recluses from then on out retain your promoted level.

Fauve

Quick question about difficulties:

I know in Awakening normal mode was easy mode, while hard mode was difficulty on par with past FE games. Is it the same way in Fates?

Seiru

Banned
Never played any FE game before. Should I go for this? Conquest first, right?

Any estimation of hours to beat all three?

Gestahl

Never played any FE game before. Should I go for this? Conquest first, right?

Any estimation of hours to beat all three?

It's about 50 hours per playthrough give or take on hard and above. I have 3 playthroughs with around 180 hours totaled up

Brakke

Banned
How the hell was I even supposed to know this without internet research beforehand? What a STUPID decision. It's not like I wanted to buy both carts anyway, I wanted the SE, I just didn't know they would print like ten copies.

Yo that's frustrating as heck. I preordered both several weeks ago when the SE was already sold out. I figured it'd be cool to lend out whichever I wasn't using or whatever but I don't know how I feel about replaying basic stuff...

How long is the pre-split prologue?

Top Bottom