• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

Gurrry

Played a bunch last night and its crazy how deep this game is.

Its almost like learning how to skateboard. First, all you can do is ollie. But then you start to get better and now you can kickflip and heelflip. Then you get more advanced and you can start doing varial flips and other crazy shit.

I cant wait til I get all the mechanics down and can put on a bad ass match and do what ever I want. I MUST hit a 450 splash with AJ Styles.

Prophane33

I know people are focused on the Switch stuff from that Retronauts interview but the whole thing is worth a read.

https://retronauts.com/article/438/the-history-and-future-of-fire-pro-wrestling-as-told-by-tomoyuki-matsumoto

Really cool to see that it's a close-knit group of longtime Fire Pro devs. You can really tell just from the Early Access version that (barring some online/logic bugs) this game is incredibly well crafted and plays as well as any other Fire Pro. I'm already loving it and I can't wait to see what it looks like in 6 months, let alone a year.

Du2andal

Banned
ok I was trying to do that with a controller maybe that was the problem

thanks

The dpad works for me on this but only after I have assigned a wrestler to the slot. No ability to highlight the CP button until that is done.

For those looking for a good guide to get started, I looked over this faq. It is for Returns so I'm not sure if it is totally accurate but everything I have tried has worked and it helped me understand what the heck I am doing far better than the manual they provide.

The sprites look like they have an emulator type smoothing filter applied to them. I think I'd prefer the pixellated look. The old games look better to me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tag team is broken as fuck.

AI completely ignores you and eventually just stops tagging all together ( was playing an 8 man tag)... went 25 minutes without a tag so I just quit.

The run button makes you do the tag me thing but it doesn't cause the AI to actually do anything lol

Probably another victim of early access...

But for 20 bucks it's still a great game.

I doubt tag is broken. Tag cooperation is a CPU Logic in the game. The default wrestlers probably just have low coop and low tag %s. In your edits, you can make them tag often or rarely.

Absolutely. If it's anything like past games.. the fictional wrestlers are loosely based on real life wrestlers, move sets and all.

thanks. Is there some way to see exactly how the customization works?
I know you can have your moves, but I don't understand if there are like 100 moves and you can choose a subset or if there's 100 BASE moves that you can modify in some way

BearPawB

Banned
Am i doing something wrong in the tournament screen?

I cant seem to actually select the wrestlers i want in the tournament

MYeager

I have so many questions about this game.

Is there an in-depth guide on how the mechanics/logic works? Stuff like Spirit, breathing, what decides reversals etc.?

I want to create some challenges for myself around simming, say for example, allow myself X number of points and have to beat a particular AI or preferably a friend with the same criteria. What does the AI level equate to, points?

Some of those questions might be answered in prior FPW game guides and faqs like https://caws.ws/firepro/files/fpr_complete_guide.pdf which has some descriptions of different abilities along with breathing/spirit etc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
thanks. Is there some way to see exactly how the customization works?
I know you can have your moves, but I don't understand if there are like 100 moves and you can choose a subset or if there's 100 BASE moves that you can modify in some way

You don't modify moves, there are something like 2000 moves in the game, you just pick the ones you want.

Yay I was wrong Gotch Style/Cradle Piledriver is in the game it's called Striking Piledriver.

Must have skipped over it because it sounds nothing like what it is lol

Slizz

I went out last night and there were 850 items in the workshop, come back now, 1500+

Just incredible.

I'm having so much just playing against CPU. Also whoever made the first Jimmy Havoc in the workshop, made an amazing one. He just German suplexed Sabu on to the top turnbuckle.

EDIT: Whoever made the most recent Sabu has the best one. Just did a hurricanrana off the top rope.... on to the outside automatically. I also had a chair randomly out there which we landed on. I am in love.

sibarraz

Banned
It's me, or Matsumoto (Or the guy who did the translation) speaks exactly like Meltzer?

You know, is complicated, etc,

Now I want to know if Meltzer has ever played Fire Pro, I could see him doing eternal edits of Misawa vs Kawada

Foffy

Banned
looks like the pin priority issue is online simming only

offline sims are safe!

not at the moment

This is a damn weird bug.

Also, I hope we get to a point where people who upload stuff state if it has proper CPU logic. A lot of uploads are vague in that regard. I would argue this is more important than the actual wrestler itself.

T.A.L

THIS FUCKING CAGE MISSION

I beat the dude down go to try and climb up to jump off and he gets up. Thats no problem. But when he tries to climb and i shake him down and he gets right up and tries again and tries again until he climbs out. The AI never breaks from trying to climb out once he starts lol.

Yeah im still doing the missions

Foffy

Banned

I beat the dude down go to try and climb up to jump off and he gets up. Thats no problem. But when he tries to climb and i shake him down and he gets right up and tries again and tries again until he climbs out. The AI never breaks from trying to climb out once he starts lol.

My tactics was to beat him with big attacks, but once he got dazed to use a weak or medium attack which would leave him down for a very long time.

The AI problem is something it seems they never changed when they made the match in Returns. If you attempt to escape, the AI tries to leave forever too.

Hasney

Was going to create Christian, but I went by face 190 and he reminded me of Ken Kennedy/Anderson, so I made him instead. Forgot his moves so watched a video and he had jumping Enziguris? Weird...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=974212837

C4720EA28B505C5957493A11CA436E592D6100A7

That's a pretty good ken Anderson. is that rolling Samoan drop in the game? Gotta itch to play but can't because of stupid work. Ahhhhh. I want to see all the creations in steam workshop now too dammit.

T.A.L

My tactics was to beat him with big attacks, but once he got dazed to use a weak or medium attack which would leave him down for a very long time.

The AI problem is something it seems they never changed when they made the match in Returns. If you attempt to escape, the AI tries to leave forever too.

Ok ive never played a cage match before. that seems like something that should be addressed if mission mode forces you to have a cage match

Was going to create Christian, but I went by face 190 and he reminded me of Ken Kennedy/Anderson, so I made him instead. Forgot his moves so watched a video and he had jumping Enziguris? Weird...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=974212837

C4720EA28B505C5957493A11CA436E592D6100A7

Damn, he really looks like him. Thanks a lot, downloaded now. :p

Hope he gets some downloads. I know it's hard to get noticed now by the flood of caws out there.

I'm pretty proud that my Hulk Hogan is on he first site of the CAW section with over 2000 downloads. :)

Hasney

That's a pretty good ken Anderson. is that rolling Samoan drop in the game? Gotta itch to play but can't because of stupid work. Ahhhhh. I want to see all the creations in steam workshop now too dammit.

The standing one is, but not a corner one so he got an avalanche standard samoan instead and made his finish the Kenton Bomb. Mic Check and when he used the stroke are both in there at least.

Blizzard

Banned
Tag team is broken as fuck.

AI completely ignores you and eventually just stops tagging all together ( was playing an 8 man tag)... went 25 minutes without a tag so I just quit.

The run button makes you do the tag me thing but it doesn't cause the AI to actually do anything lol

Probably another victim of early access...

But for 20 bucks it's still a great game.
I had precisely the same experience. You can't even shimmy around the corners half the time because it won't let you unless someone is in a submission or pin.

Aside from tag matches, cage matches, and the online freezes, everything else seems surprisingly solid for early access though.

Thank you! I figured this wasn't possible due to the sprite stuff.

Blizzard

Banned

I had precisely the same problem. There's no way to stop the AI once it begins climbing. Attacks don't dislodge it, are unreliable, and only slow you down. Trying to grab the cage is iffy because you have to perfectly hit the diagonal, not just something close to it. The absolute best you can do is to knock the AI off high up with a shake so they fall inside the ring, but even then they climb out and leave very quickly.

The only solid solution I found was to
irish whip the AI into a corner and just leave the opposite side while they were slumped there.
Once you're over the top no one can do anything to you.

Prophane33

So, I've made a bunch of belts (kind of hard to get a good likeness of some of the current WWE belts), does anyone have a list of what the belt plates real life inspiration is, like with the heads? (like one is OBVIOUSLY an IWGP and another is the Smoking Skull belt)

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully belts and custom arenas become a thing on workshop eventually.
More arena editing options would be great. If I recall correctly there are 8-10 colors for various bits of the arena, 3 floor, and 3 corner post styles. There might be one other option.

Arbitrary colors, custom images, being able to place obstacles or single cage walls, and crazy arena shapes would be neat.

hamsjams

I read in the manual about the Ukemi technique whereby you can allegedly let a move hit you in order to deal that damage back later in a counterattack. Does anyone know how to trigger it, how it's calculated, or anything concrete about it at all?

Top Bottom