• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

I played this for a few hours last night and I'm really enjoying it. It took a while to get the timing down, but I was doing pretty well by the end. I need to work on getting my match grade up on anything non-standard though. I threw a guy onto the barbed wire 6 times in one of those matches and still got a 28% rating.

On a side note, Mission 4, where you do a running corner move, is impossible for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, since I've pulled the move off effectively in a match several times.

The trick to running moves like the corner smash and the running dives is that you just have to be holding Big a certain number of steps out from the spot, with that number of steps being move-dependent. I think the tutorial guy they have you using just has a belly bump or back elbow smash, so those will trigger right before the corner, but there's no penalty for holding the button early (other than the part where you're probably running from further out and have more ground to cover).

Other guys have cartwheel elbows and things that you have to start from just about mid-ring. This one fires very close to the corner though.

Whip them in the corner, wait for them to hit and settle in, and then run at them holding Big. It'll activate on the right frame.

Do I need to complete the tutorial missions before I can play exhibition matches? I can't change it from CP to 1P.

Nope. Go one more thing left or right, and it'll select the CP item. Hit A and you'll be able to change it to 1P/2P/CP/etc

PrimeBeef

Checked out some of the tutorial tonight in between raid wipes. Took a while to get the timing and positioning down. Need to be more patient and try not to button mash. I definitely see the allure to this series.

There's some really minor things I wish they'd add. The games pretty much all set, but adding these things would make it the GOAT.
-Create a PPV. Make a card and play it No Mercy style
-In tournaments make it so you can choose the participants, and just play as who you want in each match instead of picking one guy from the start
-Entrance Attires
-More than 4 attires per wrestler
-Music of winner after match ends
-Moving multiple wrestlers from teams at a time

Just little stuff like that. Apart from the moving multiple wrestlers thing, I don't think any of it will happen.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, custom music options and more ingame songs than 3 themes + menu music would be great.

Trying to sim matches online and keep getting a black screen. =(

Have my CAW in the default stable and have vsync off and nothing works.
When I was trying this last night, it seemed like most/every time I hosted I got a black screen, but I was able to join and play with other people? I'm wondering if there's some sort of ye olde port forwarding I actually need to do.

Oh, custom music options and more ingame songs than 3 themes + menu music would be great.

When I was trying this last night, it seemed like most/every time I hosted I got a black screen, but I was able to join and play with other people? I'm wondering if there's some sort of ye olde port forwarding I actually need to do.

nah I just joined one and still had the issue. Hopefully it's fixed soon I want to see my caw get worked.

Prophane33

More than 1,000 wrestlers in the workshop and nobody has made the most glorious champ of all, current NXT champion, Bobby Roode!?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Also I didn't realize how slow the AI would be online. A 1v1 AI vs. AI match takes 15-20 minutes unless people play with some faster settings.

Keep in mind that the in game clock at the default 100% speed setting runs at double speed.

Prophane33

Lots of omissions, but it's only Day 2. Imagine a week from now!

Yeah, my complaint was mostly a joke. It's amazing that we went from 0 to 1,000 so quickly. It's going to be a pain to sort through in a week; however, I believe the Macho Man was right when he said "the cream always rises to the top." (ooh yeah!)

Sinatar

Just played my first non ai simmed online match. As expected the netcode is the drizzling shits.

Also had an interesting bug where I ended up controlling my opponents CAW and vice versa. First 2 minutes of the match was us awkwardly shuffling around trying to figure out why our characters weren't responding to the controls properly lol.

Blizzard

Banned
On my first tag team mission, I realize the game doesn't seem to explain anywhere how to tag in. But it tells you not to forget to tag in. :p

I've tried all sorts of buttons. How do you perform the tag?

Why yes, I do enjoy throwing all of opponents in a four on four landmine deathmatch into the landmines after the match was over. I have to give the people what they want.

Blizzard

Banned
On my first tag team mission, I realize the game doesn't seem to explain anywhere how to tag in. But it tells you not to forget to tag in. :p

I've tried all sorts of buttons. How do you perform the tag?
The only place I found this information was the Steam discussion forum of all places. To tag someone in, you have to press the breathe button while aiming toward your partner.

You can then SORT OF walk around the outside of the ring, and sometimes illegally get in, and sometimes climb up the posts? It's very weird and the camera hides you and you can't control your partner.

Also almost every submission or pinfall, the opponent's partner immediately climbs in the ring and disrupts it. Mine only jumped into the ring like that once. Why is that? Is there a way to make your AI partner jump in and break things up?

The only place I found this information was the Steam discussion forum of all places. To tag someone in, you have to press the breathe button while aiming toward your partner.

You can then SORT OF walk around the outside of the ring, and sometimes illegally get in, and sometimes climb up the posts? It's very weird and the camera hides you and you can't control your partner.

Also almost every submission or pinfall, the opponent's partner immediately climbs in the ring and disrupts it. Mine only jumped into the ring like that once. Why is that? Is there a way to make your AI partner jump in and break things up?

I'm not too familiar with the Fire Pro games, but could it be because your partner is trained to act like a baby face? Do they go that in depth?

Also speaking of weird camera stuff, I can NEVER line up a chair shot. I also seem to miss half my lariats even when my character goes right thorugh the opponent went making the animation.

Strikes have always been a pain in my Fire Pro experience, worse are the top rope ones if the groggy opponent isn't placed right, I've still only done one match but if it is worse then yeah they really should adjust those hit boxes.

Not any, but any that use the logic of going for the dedicated pin button.

If the Edit has a moveset of prior games where you can use the face buttons for a pin, it will go for those with no issue.

I assume they failed to introduce the new pin button into the same variables regarding priority logic, hence why it breaks. And it breaks pretty bad; a lot of edits that seemingly do their finisher, only to lift the opponent up and do a different move...a lot of that is likely on this mistake. Many probably won't even notice unless you sim prior games and have noticed something off already. I know I did with one of the Shawn Michaels edits.

Like I said in my earlier post, any edits that are more or less direct ports from Returns avoid this issue, because they kept pins to the face buttons and didn't fill them in with attacks or submissions. Kobashi and Misawa do not have this problem, but Nakamura and Rollins do, for example; the latter do not have pins on the face buttons, IIRC.

Not available at this time. Right now it's just wrestlers and refs.

Did anyone try to tell the devs about the reason for this problem?

Blizzard

Banned
I think I've finally learned how to win the slapfights where both characters pose.

I thought it was a skill timing thing, but sadly it appears to just involve mashing ABXY as fast as possible. You can even do a funny pose near the end.

hamsjams

Oh my god it's even better than I remembered. Welcome back, Fire Pro! Mission mode is so damn fun. I'm so happy that 2.9 is still a thing. I can't wait to see how this game evolves.

Does anyone know if there will eventually be resolution options? In Fullscreen the game is quite blurry for me. Also, is there a way to get frames per second displayed? It seems like people are having slowdown on the character select screen. I do too. Is that something that optimization might fix?

Sinatar

Huh? how do you do that? i've never seen the AI even try to do that. so i didnt know it was possible

Same way you step out of the ropes.

PIjYISl.jpg

FYI the game does come with a manual.

looks like there is another bug with regards to dowloading created wrestlers.

All edits downloaded off the workshop have their priorities reset to weak strike -> pick up opponent.

Blizzard

Banned
So I'm pretty happy with almost all modes I've played so far besides tag matches. Not being able to control the AI wrestlers is super annoying and matches drag out really long in 3v3 because the other AI will just cancel your pin and submission attempts.

You can call for a tag, but either my teammates are all babyface or whatnot (I don't know wrestling terms) or they almost always ignore your call for 3-5 minutes.

Sinatar

Yea tag matches are generally best left for simming. Though multiplayer with real people would probably be pretty fun.

Blizzard

Banned
OK, cage fights are also the worst along with tag fights. :| Even with that picture I truly don't understand what they were going for here.

If the AI starts on the cage at the same time as you, they're faster and/or flips over the top faster. If they start behind you, they will always knock you off (unless holding A counters that while they shake).

Most importantly, once the AI starts climbing, there is no way to stop it that I've found. They can almost instantly start climbing after falling, and even if they fall inside the ring there's no way to stop them from immediately going through the rope and repeating the process. There's no way to grapple after they fall either. Because of the immediate climb mechanic, knocking them off the fence just seems to get worse with each attempt until it inevitably fails.

You can attempt to attack while on the fence, but this seems to do basically no damage, does not dislodge opponents, and just slows you down to guarantee you lose the escape attempt.

*edit* I forgot the best part. If you're trying to shake the cage and you're holding any direction that's slightly DIFFERENT from down-left or whatever the cage direction is, the grab and shake won't work at all, and you instantly lose.

So I'm pretty happy with almost all modes I've played so far besides tag matches. Not being able to control the AI wrestlers is super annoying and matches drag out really long in 3v3 because the other AI will just cancel your pin and submission attempts.

You can call for a tag, but either my teammates are all babyface or whatnot (I don't know wrestling terms) or they almost always ignore your call for 3-5 minutes.

Dude you can control both wrestlers on your team

Same way you step out of the ropes.

PIjYISl.jpg

FYI the game does come with a manual.

Man, so SO many great tips and helpful things in there. I have to add some stuff to my OT somehow, like this:

Rope Escape:

Hold the LB/RB button + quickly rotate the directional pad/left stick when in a
submission or hold to inch towards the nearest rope.
Note that some moves can't be escaped from depending on the direction and
some moves can't ever be escaped from.

You can't find this out without the manual.

Blizzard

Banned
^Link it up, hombre.

I assume turning both CP thingies to 1P
I don't see that for mission options though, like the 3v3 tag team mission (20?).

And holy crap I saw the manual post above. I never even think to check if Steam games have a manual. I'll have to dig through this...apparently 3-D walk is "walk around opponent".

Is there a v-trigger in the game?
I don't see that for mission options though, like the 3v3 tag team mission (20?).

And holy crap I saw the manual post above. I never even think to check if Steam games have a manual. I'll have to dig through this...apparently 3-D walk is "walk around opponent".
Ahh
Wasn't aware you meant in MM

Dina

I could do with some pointers on how to best setup leagues, championships, etc. I like the exhibition matches, but I could do with some longer form 'competitions' or opportunities for more story/drama.

What's the best way to do this? Any way to include random elements in it?

Blizzard

Banned
Spamming A is supposed to escape from pins, and spamming any button(s) is supposed to recover from knockdowns. I don't like those mechanics compared to the precise timing of other things, but I guess that's the nature of the game.

The manual says shimmying around the corner post is vital in tag matches, yet I wasn't able to do that except when I'm allowed to cut into a tag match, which isn't very helpful for the camera blocking. Or maybe there's a trick to it I haven't found yet?

Weirdly, the manual is very thorough about controls except for the tag match entrance I mentioned. It doesn't even seem to mention the run-towards-rope command that makes your wrestler waggle their hand like they're calling for their partner. If anyone does find a way to control AI teammate(s) in missions, please let me know.

Also weirdly, there's this bit of untranslated text in the manual. Does anyone read Japanese?
tagatyin.png

*edit* On a positive note, I did find someone who had basically 0 lag online. Matches went well except that we had the bug every single time that made us control the wrong characters. :p

I've managed to have one online match with no black screen. Driving me nuts people join games instantly but I can't watch. The game is fun to play but I really enjoy just sitting and watching my guy do work. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with tendencies or anything but I hope to learn and build him as good as possible eventually.

Top Bottom