• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling World [OT] Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

Blizzard

Banned
OK, I've gotten better at the lockup timing. The tutorials are indeed very important if you're clueless about the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Somebody has already created Suda 51 and put him on the workshop.

Good job, internet.

OK, I've gotten better at the lockup timing. The tutorials are indeed very important if you're clueless about the game.

I imagine the first tutorial especially is pretty much vital. I could easily see newcomers play a match, not hit a single move, and get frustrated and quit.

I know this has probably been asked a million times or more, but I can't seem to find the answer.

If I loved the old wcw vs nwo and wwf no mercy games, will I love this just as much? because I haven't touched a wrestling game since them and I'm interested in this game because it looks like it has the same style of gameplay, but way more customization.

Those were the only wrestling games I really enjoyed, and I still have them hooked up to an old CRT for when the mood strikes.

BUT, once I got the hang of Fire Pro with the timing, lack of button mashing and extreme variety of moves, positioning and set-ups it became my go to game.

Especially when you can have hundreds of created wrestlers all far more realistic (moves and appearance) than the dozen open spots and options in No Mercy.

I do find running the ropes and a couple small aspects of No Mercy more fun, Fire Pro has 1000x more replay value.

I also found turning off the in game music and playing my own tunes over the sound effects helps a lot.

vixlar

I know this has probably been asked a million times or more, but I can't seem to find the answer.

If I loved the old wcw vs nwo and wwf no mercy games, will I love this just as much? because I haven't touched a wrestling game since them and I'm interested in this game because it looks like it has the same style of gameplay, but way more customization.

I'm an AKI wrestlers fan, and I can tell you it is... different.

Is not about button mashing or RNG to counter a grapple... is about timing. It is a little odd at beginning, but when you understand the rules, you can see it is a fantastic wrestling game and why does it have a big group of fans. I can not tell you a lot about mechanics, because I'm still learning, but I think it is really fun.

It has no 3d models, but 2d sprites, and it looks gorgeous!!!

The CAW is extreme, you can even assign a triple team grapple.

It has no licenses, but it is supposed that it is a community created content.

Steam loves Mexico again, I spent 180 pesos (like 9 dollars) for this game.

So yeeaaaah...

You're gonna want to have the game locked to 60FPS because I turned VSync off and the game frame rate matched my monitor's refresh rate (144Hz) and the match I had was at a minimum running at double speed. I jobbed hard because it was running too fast for me to time pretty much anything but light grapples.

Sheentak

Couple of questions

1. How do you get out of pins?
2. how do you get out of submissions?
3. How do i dive outside the ring onto my opponent?
4. how do i know what my finisher is?

sibarraz

Banned
How do you reverse maneuvers?

And how do you apply special maneuvers? I already know the small, medium and big buttons, but don't know how to pull the finisher moves.

Blizzard

Banned
Tutorial question, how do you do the left / right / down + BIG corner slump attack?

I've tried walking to the corner and pressing the direction before, during, and after BIG, but the character never seems to do a special move.

Tutorial question, how do you do the left / right / down + BIG corner slump attack?

I've tried walking to the corner and pressing the direction before, during, and after BIG, but the character never seems to do a special move.

At the same time. Just like a normal grapple.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Couple of questions

How do you reverse maneuvers?

And how do you apply special maneuvers? I already know the small, medium and big buttons, but don't know how to pull the finisher moves.

Pin/submission escapes are button mashes. Probably. Who knows if that was ever successful, but it's what we did.

Special moves are marked with S in the move list. The position will generally tell you how to do the move. There's no special gauge or anything, but any stronger move will automatically be reversed until your opponent is wore down a bit.

Couple of questions

1. Mash the d-pad
2. Mash the D-pad
3. Press the Strong attack button (usually Circle) while running to the ropes or while pressing forward beside the ropes
4. Should say while on character select screen

Blizzard

Banned
At the same time. Just like a normal grapple.
I didn't realize I needed to lockup again after they were already slumped on the corner. So it was lockup -> whip, then lockup while they're in the corner.

On another note, I guess I need to start mashing directions when I'm pinned if that's the only way out.

Going to have to figure out who the best creators are and stick follow them. We might need a list.

I have a hard time doing moves with an opponent in the corner. That's were I got stuck in mission mode. Very difficult to get that timing down.

Blizzard

Banned
There are a million moves with obscure names on the Move List. How do I know which are submission moves for the mission?

Also is "Counter + SML" what happens when you grapple and press SML?

Foffy

Banned
There are a million moves with obscure names on the Move List. How do I know which are submission moves for the mission?

Also is "Counter + SML" what happens when you grapple and press SML?

I presume this means this is how you counter certain grapples, like if the opponent is behind you.

Also, for people who have played prior games, is it just me or have they tried to "delay" the timing when it comes to grapple inputs? I was actually failing the tutorial because I was too early, but that's what I get for being so used to CPU Level 10 in Returns.

I also hope in future that people making wrestlers are able to disclose if they have tried proper logic and movesets. I imagine a good deal of characters on the Workshop are cosmetic, mainly.

Syder

Not that impressed with the community creations so far.

Compared to ones we've seen in the past I think I'll just wait and mess around with my own creations.

Blizzard

Banned
I've found some hold moves if you press MED or BIG while the opponent is on the ground. Are those submission moves? How do you win with them, if so?

tm24

Not that impressed with the community creations so far.

Compared to ones we've seen in the past I think I'll just wait and mess around with my own creations.

The best creators will be obvious in a month. Just wait for the Fire Pro Arena guys to fully step it up

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I don't know what I did, but I turned off a bunch of stuff in Windows and suddenly the game works mostly fine. Like, matches themselves, at least 1-on-1, run fine. I even boosted the speed up to 125% and it still worked fine. Only issues I have now are the game being slow on the character select screen, and my PC locking up for nearly a full minute every time I start and exit the game, and try to pull up Steam Overlay. Don't know what's causing that.

Purchased just a minute ago. My PC is far from equipped for modern gaming but pretty sure it can handle this!

FPWR is one of the few PS2 classics I still sometimes fire up my PS3 to play even today. So fucking good.

I'll probably send this as a gift to a friend who would love it, but has no experience with Fire Pro games as yet.

Can't wait for it to come out on PS4 later.

Blizzard

Banned
I've found some hold moves if you press MED or BIG while the opponent is on the ground. Are those submission moves? How do you win with them, if so?
In that mission I've found that grapple + BIG, then BIG + down does a suplex where you hold onto their legs afterwards and you get the 1-2-3 timer.

I thought that was submission, but instead it's a normal countdown win so I failed the mission. Back to the drawing board looking for submissions.

Prophane33

how does this compare to Fire Pro Wrestling Returns?

As its early access it's really too early to tell. I haven't put more than 30 minutes into it due to having work to do, but it has the potential to meet or beat FPR. The ability to share created wrestler's online is already an amazing addition. Menus seem slick and load times are faster than FPR. I'm not sure what moves are and aren't missing as I haven't messed around with it enough, currently there are only three arenas as well. So it's a bit bare bones, but has so much potential.

Foffy

Banned
I've noticed a weird bug with one of the arenas, too.

If you wrestle in the Dojo, the countout sounds don't play. I assume they were linked with a crowd, which the game lacks in that arena? Weird.

Exis

So any suggestions on how not to get winded?

I swear this is the FirePro game I am going to learn to flipping play.

Prophane33

Breath whenever you get a chance. But naturally as the match continues or you take damage you and your opponent will be worn down, as is real life. You can manage it more by holding down the breathing button whenever you get a break (for example forgoing a pin attempt in order to catch your breath).

Runs beautifully on my computer, only issue is my Dualshock 4 seems to have a hard time navigating the menu (weird double taps and shit). Works fine in game though. I just use the keyboard for menus

Just ran through the tutorial, I wish I had this shit 10 years ago lol

Grabbed several of the created wrestlers, haven't implemented in game yet. Teams are promotions right? I imagine I'll have to create the different ones just to keep things tidy

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Left Bumper is the "breath" button, press that when you have a chance.

Up to mission 22 on mission mode, have a blast.

My only complaint so far is a complaint I've always had, the hitboxes for standing strikes are waaay too precise, you whiff 90% of your strikes, it's so precise that even the AI whiffs constantly.

Getting use to the timings. man this is fun. the amount of moves you can do is awesome. looking forward t spending a ridiculous amount of time creating myself like i do in every wrestling game.

Top Bottom