• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

They do that a lot at select locations. One here is doing the same, but its a 30 minute drive. I might make the trip though.

Usually it's with any purchase. They just pick stores that need the foot traffic increase.

I'm a bit crazy about deals. I know the policies of most of the big chains. Nerd.

Interesting. Very interesting.

How much is your coupon again? The gold card price at the Walden Galleria GNC was $33 for Quest...lol

I'd have to find a standalone GNC...they probably drive up the price for the Canadian shoppers.

Get it scanned. All my GNCs say 33.00 but ring up 25 pre coupon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My day's almost done, but this is my first day back to work after a week-long vacation. I sit in a chair for 10 hours a day doing office work. While I was off, my knee problems vanished, my back felt great, and there was no more pain.

DAMMIT.

sphinx

the piano man
My day's almost done, but this is my first day back to work after a week-long vacation. I sit in a chair for 10 hours a day doing office work. While I was off, my knee problems vanished, my back felt great, and there was no more pain.

DAMMIT.

I've heard that tall guys like you have problems with joints. A friend of mine has to do some therapy just because of the fact he is 6'5 tall. Don't know exactly what he does, but it seems like he really needed it.

maybe try to walk around in the office? or find a private spot in the office to do extensions and stuff like that?

SeanR1221

Oh! Forgot to report in on my day.

190 2x5 on bench felt easier than 185 last week. Bringing my grip in helped. Since I had a cancelation I went early. Two scoop of whey before working out at 10, a huge meal post workout (8oz of chicken, 3 eggs, 2 cups brown rice/quino mix), 2 quest bars later as a snack and I'll eat two cans of tuna and two cups of green beans in 20 minutes and be done for the day.

Really nice calorie/macro breakdown.

Funny how mental things are. My brain was all like "you're going to workout on barely any food you fool!!!" And when I got in there my body was like "ain't nothin but a peanut"

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So far this has never actually happened to me but I thought I'd share: I was failing miserably at pause squats in the only squat rack we have. A guy comes up to me to ask how many more sets I've got to go. Well, five, so of course he can join in. So he unloads the plates, puts 11 pounds on each side of the barbell, and does five curls. In disbelief I look at the rack that has all the EZ-curl and straight bars, and see that it's still loaded with bars.

He's finished with his set, and goes on to do triceps-extensions. So I take off the plates to continue my humiliation, and he immediately comes back, saying he still needs the barbell for his supersets. He's "not finished yet." Flabbergasted I ask him why he wont just use the EZ-curl bars. Well, because he wants to use the mirror. But if I insist on squatting there, he'll "let me." So he wanders off to the weightlifting platform, and uses the Olympic bar for his curls.

Granted my gym doesn't have a written down rule that says: No curling in the squat rack! But a gym shouldn't really NEED that, right?

This can not go unquoted!!! You have the the entirety of the world wide weightlifting community behind you, so next time someone does that to you I suggest you knock him out. Be careful though, I hear the jail time for tearing a man's Ed Hardy shirt is pretty serious in some areas.

Quick story. I still can't believe I actually did this and it is 100% true.
I went to the gym one afternoon. Not many people there. Went and checked out the free weight area and saw some fool doing curls in the squat cage. Decided I would go warm up on a bike and stretch a bit to give this guy some time to finish up. About 10 minutes pass, I go to get my workout started and this guy still has weights loaded on a bar and he is resting it on the safety bars (set around knee height) in between sets. I sat down on a bench just to watch and see this guys routine. He would bend over, wrap his wrist straps around the bar, stand up, lean forward and then quickly throw his upper body backwards in an attempt to get the bar to start moving, and then quickly lean forward again trying to catch the bar (in mid rep for a biceps curl) and then lean back again to get the bar near the top of where the rep would finish. To recap. Lean forward, lean back, lean forward, lean back. Once he had the bar up he would lean forward slowly to get his body upright, waited about a count of 1 and then leaned forward a touch and dropped the bar onto the safety bars. Now remember this guy had wrist wraps on so that move yanked him violently downwards to where the bar now was. He then took the wraps off and sat down.
THAT WAS HIS SET!!!!!

I was stunned. I looked at the only other guy in the gym, and he was staring at this guy as well. I asked him how long this moron had been there and his replied "a long time man".

This is where my part starts. Hahaha. I walked over the rack and just started slowly removing the collars off the bar. Was doing it slowly. Did the one on the right, then walked around to the other side and took off the collar on the left. Walked around to the right again and slid off the first weight, it was a 10lb plate, I placed that on the pegs on the side of the rack and as I walked over to the left side of the rack the guy finally piped up.
"Hey man, what are you doing? I'm not done with that."
I turned and looked at the guy and just said "Yeah you are done man. Seriously. I just sat here and watched what you are doing and you are done."
Dude tried to argue, I'm not sure what spit outta his mouth but I just cut him off and said
"Look you can go talk to someone at the front if you got a problem man. This is a squat rack, it is for squats and other big lifts. I have spent many years in the gym and I honestly have no clue what I just watched happen. So if you have a problem go talk to them at the desk".

Dude grabbed his stuff and left. I had a good laugh with the other guy that was in the gym and we never hung out or anything but we said hi to each other every time our paths crossed.

When I was done my workout I stopped at the desk and asked if that guy that had stopped and said anything about me. Nope not a thing. I would still see the guy from time to time but he was never in the squat rack again. Hahaha.

Now the words I said and he said could be off, I didn't have the event taped and I'm not a script writer or anything. But that moment happened and it was awesome.

Cagey

Banned
First day free weight benching since 2009. Using the 5/3/1 with periodization for two weeks to get used to the program.

265 for 2 flat, that's the working max I guess.

225 for 10, three sets decline plus 245 for 7. I spent the past 18 months training smith machine decline so that movement is much better for me

185 for five sets t-bar row, haven't done that shit since 2009.

Holy fuck I feel ALIVE.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
First day free weight benching since 2009. Using the 5/3/1 with periodization for two weeks to get used to the program.

265 for 2 flat, that's the working max I guess.

225 for 10, three sets decline plus 245 for 7. I spent the past 18 months training smith machine decline so that movement is much better for me

185 for five sets t-bar row, haven't done that shit since 2009.

Holy fuck I feel ALIVE.

That's an impressive welcome back.

balddemon

Banned
lol truelize that is an amazing story. props.

so that lady that cut my hair? I decided to be creepy and look her up on facebook...she is smokin hot! she's a bikini model from the looks of it. I just...can't. she's 30 and has a kid and is single. hnngh

Cagey

Banned
That's an impressive welcome back.
I've been training as heavy as a gym with one smith machine, cable towers and DBs to 70 let me. So it wasn't totally cold, but smith machine barbell row isn't all that great a replacement for heavy back work heh.

Deadlifts tomorrow will put me in camel clutch and make me humble.

balddemon

Banned
My little neck stabbers got uppity today. Had to put the foot down.

Side note. Massage in T-Minus 3 days. FUUUUUCK YEAH!>

I"m getting a massage in a couple weeks. I'm pretty pumped. anything I need to know? I'll ask the ppl too, just wondering from someone who doesn't work there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Spirit of Ronnie compels men to do great things.

Possibly even Roids

You mother fuckers don't need roids.

If I can keep away from that shit, so can you guys.

I"m getting a massage in a couple weeks. I'm pretty pumped. anything I need to know? I'll ask the ppl too, just wondering from someone who doesn't work there.

Tell them everywhere you have/have had issues with tendonitis, aches etc.

They will target that shit like a tomahawk missile.

Petrie

Banned
I cheated a bit Sunday with nachos at the hockey game, but I just got the job I've been gunning for for the past couple months (thanks for the support FitGAF) so I'm thinking tonight just because a cheat night with pizza and WWE Raw. Tell me it's ok to celebrate and say fuck it tonight GAF.

So pumped! I go in to hammer out the details tomorrow afternoon! No more waiting tables for me!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I cheated a bit Sunday with nachos at the hockey game, but I just got the job I've been gunning for for the past couple months (thanks for the support FitGAF) so I'm thinking tonight just because a cheat night with pizza and WWE Raw. Tell me it's ok to celebrate and say fuck it tonight GAF.

So pumped! I go in to hammer out the details tomorrow afternoon! No more waiting tables for me!

Of course it is! Enjoy life! Two bad days means nothing in the overall picture.

SeanR1221

Assuming it won't hurt your insulin levels too much go for it. You deserve to celebrate. Congrats guy.

Petrie

Banned
Assuming it won't hurt your insulin levels too much go for it. You deserve to celebrate. Congrats guy.

aww that's so cute of you to remember!

yeah my numbers are fantastic, not going to have any long term issues with insulin. :)

getting some wings for some brotein! let's do this!

velociraptor

5/3/1 w/ The Periodization Bible

Military Press (5/3/1)
• Shoulders or Chest – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
• Lats or Upper Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
• Triceps – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Deadlift (5/3/1)
• Hamstrings – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute-Ham Raise)
• Quads – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
• Abs – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Bench Press (5/3/1)
• Shoulders or Chest – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
• Lats or Upper Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
• Triceps – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Squat (5/3/1)
• Low Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
• Quads – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
• Abs – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

8NaXTEe.png

Some numbers are off (the beef calories/protein) but I try to stay around that. Substitute in other meats/poultry/fish/etc. Same with cottage cheese/greek yogurt/etc. Eat rice noodles instead of regular noodles and I don't eat bread.

How does this work? You do ALL those exercises in one workout? How is that even possible?

Or for example one shoulder, one back, one tricep exercise?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard that tall guys like you have problems with joints. A friend of mine has to do some therapy just because of the fact he is 6'5 tall. Don't know exactly what he does, but it seems like he really needed it.

maybe try to walk around in the office? or find a private spot in the office to do extensions and stuff like that?

I do the best I can to get up and move around every hour, but sometimes shit goes down and I'm buried in work for a few hours. Sucks, but oh well.

Seeing all this Zyzz shit again makes me miss bulking. Feel like cutting my cut short but...NO! STICK TO THE PLAN SUNNY!

SeanR1221

aww that's so cute of you to remember!

yeah my numbers are fantastic, not going to have any long term issues with insulin. :)

getting some wings for some brotein! let's do this!

My parents are diabetic, remember? My mom gets a needle twice a day :/ my dad just has to watch what he eats.

abuC

Just had one of my top 5 worst workouts ever, I either didn't have it or I couldn't lift it no in between. Really an all around discouraging day for me.

otapnam

Just had one of my top 5 worst workouts ever, I either didn't have it or I couldn't lift it no in between. Really an all around discouraging day for me.

sleep, diet, stress, sex, etc

just prep yourself for the next workout man, it happens

How does this work? You do ALL those exercises in one workout? How is that even possible?

Or for example one shoulder, one back, one tricep exercise?

You do one of each. Whatever you prefer. So on OHP day, I do OHP, Incline BB, Pendlay Rows, and Tricep Pushdowns.

It happens man. Get your ish together and come back harder the next time.

Petrie

Banned
My parents are diabetic, remember? My mom gets a needle twice a day :/ my dad just has to watch what he eats.

Oh I know, I remember, just brings a smile to my face that people here remember that detail in dealing with me as well. Love our little group here. :)

How has your mom been doing?

congrats!

And yes, enjoy yourself. Have some food and eat the foods.

CrankyJay

Banned

Congrats. Order a small pizza.

abuC

sleep, diet, stress, sex, etc

just prep yourself for the next workout man, it happens

Gravity hated you today man. Don't worry about it.

It happens man. Get your ish together and come back harder the next time.

Thanks broskis, and gravity can die a fiery death, I may have to deload next week. The only positive I got is that my right shoulder continues to get better, was able to do OHP with very little pain but my right shoulder is a little girly man right now.

abuC

This talk of pizza has me wanting some, but I have no moderation. My cheat day tends to look like the Rock's where I'm north of 5000 calories.

Conor 419

Banned
Gaf, my gym are missing a certain weight of dumbbells, meaning if I miss them and move onto the next ones up, I'll be jumping about 8kg.

What should I do, head back to barbell? Only probably I have with that is that I stopped using the barbell because I was getting nowhere with it, in the first place.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gaf, my gym are missing a certain weight of dumbbells, meaning if I miss them and move onto the next ones up, I'll be jumping about 8kg.

What should I do, head back to barbell? Only probably I have with that is that I stopped using the barbell because I was getting nowhere with it, in the first place.

Do you even engrish?

This talk of pizza has me wanting some, but I have no moderation. My cheat day tends to look like the Rock's where I'm north of 5000 calories.

Tacos, tacos everywhere.

That was my dinner. Then a huge glass of milk and these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnowJMInlxE&list=PLJb8bLHM39OVqlV17bcHL3Ds_qnUMkIA2&index=24

CrankyJay

Banned
I couldn't eat only 1.5 slices of pizza 5 minutes after getting out of a All You Can Eat Buffet.
Bunch of tiny stomached childs sized happy meal bitches up in here
I lack self control

And then last night before a concert I slammed 40oz of beer, a half lb cheeseburger and a huge plate of waffle cut fries with about a half cup of ketchup. Lol.

SeanR1221

Oh I know, I remember, just brings a smile to my face that people here remember that detail in dealing with me as well. Love our little group here. :)

How has your mom been doing?

Eh she's having more trouble :/. Sugars aren't really consistent. I think a combo of an inconsistent diet and depression aren't helping.

Imm0rt4l

So far this has never actually happened to me but I thought I'd share: I was failing miserably at pause squats in the only squat rack we have. A guy comes up to me to ask how many more sets I've got to go. Well, five, so of course he can join in. So he unloads the plates, puts 11 pounds on each side of the barbell, and does five curls. In disbelief I look at the rack that has all the EZ-curl and straight bars, and see that it's still loaded with bars.

He's finished with his set, and goes on to do triceps-extensions. So I take off the plates to continue my humiliation, and he immediately comes back, saying he still needs the barbell for his supersets. He's "not finished yet." Flabbergasted I ask him why he wont just use the EZ-curl bars. Well, because he wants to use the mirror. But if I insist on squatting there, he'll "let me." So he wanders off to the weightlifting platform, and uses the Olympic bar for his curls.

Granted my gym doesn't have a written down rule that says: No curling in the squat rack! But a gym shouldn't really NEED that, right?

Anyways, tested my 1 RM for bench, and my shoulder still felt fairly stable at 220 (after a six week long shoulder injury/rehab). A couple of days ago I got up to 400 on DL, and had some strength left. 410 or 420 should be doable on the small powerlift competition in two days. Seeing how miserable my pause squats are at 240, I'll probably max out out at 310 or 320. I do think the pause squats did something right though, since I feel more comfortable below parallel. Thanks for the tip Muntersaur :)
I raged just from reading this.

Imm0rt4l

This can not go unquoted!!! You have the the entirety of the world wide weightlifting community behind you, so next time someone does that to you I suggest you knock him out. Be careful though, I hear the jail time for tearing a man's Ed Hardy shirt is pretty serious in some areas.

Quick story. I still can't believe I actually did this and it is 100% true.
I went to the gym one afternoon. Not many people there. Went and checked out the free weight area and saw some fool doing curls in the squat cage. Decided I would go warm up on a bike and stretch a bit to give this guy some time to finish up. About 10 minutes pass, I go to get my workout started and this guy still has weights loaded on a bar and he is resting it on the safety bars (set around knee height) in between sets. I sat down on a bench just to watch and see this guys routine. He would bend over, wrap his wrist straps around the bar, stand up, lean forward and then quickly throw his upper body backwards in an attempt to get the bar to start moving, and then quickly lean forward again trying to catch the bar (in mid rep for a biceps curl) and then lean back again to get the bar near the top of where the rep would finish. To recap. Lean forward, lean back, lean forward, lean back. Once he had the bar up he would lean forward slowly to get his body upright, waited about a count of 1 and then leaned forward a touch and dropped the bar onto the safety bars. Now remember this guy had wrist wraps on so that move yanked him violently downwards to where the bar now was. He then took the wraps off and sat down.
THAT WAS HIS SET!!!!!

I was stunned. I looked at the only other guy in the gym, and he was staring at this guy as well. I asked him how long this moron had been there and his replied "a long time man".

This is where my part starts. Hahaha. I walked over the rack and just started slowly removing the collars off the bar. Was doing it slowly. Did the one on the right, then walked around to the other side and took off the collar on the left. Walked around to the right again and slid off the first weight, it was a 10lb plate, I placed that on the pegs on the side of the rack and as I walked over to the left side of the rack the guy finally piped up.
"Hey man, what are you doing? I'm not done with that."
I turned and looked at the guy and just said "Yeah you are done man. Seriously. I just sat here and watched what you are doing and you are done."
Dude tried to argue, I'm not sure what spit outta his mouth but I just cut him off and said
"Look you can go talk to someone at the front if you got a problem man. This is a squat rack, it is for squats and other big lifts. I have spent many years in the gym and I honestly have no clue what I just watched happen. So if you have a problem go talk to them at the desk".

Dude grabbed his stuff and left. I had a good laugh with the other guy that was in the gym and we never hung out or anything but we said hi to each other every time our paths crossed.

When I was done my workout I stopped at the desk and asked if that guy that had stopped and said anything about me. Nope not a thing. I would still see the guy from time to time but he was never in the squat rack again. Hahaha.

Now the words I said and he said could be off, I didn't have the event taped and I'm not a script writer or anything. But that moment happened and it was awesome.
RESPECT

Some ppl have no gym etiquette

Zoe

Ugh, a pair of guys moved the T-bar thing into the rack at the busiest time of the day. They eventually moved it back out for a third guy, but then they just took their sweet ass time doing deadlifts just outside the rack.

grumble

Ugh, a pair of guys moved the T-bar thing into the rack at the busiest time of the day. They eventually moved it back out for a third guy, but then they just took their sweet ass time doing deadlifts just outside the rack.

Did you tell them to fuck off

Because you should definitely tell them to fuck off

kylej

Banned

I forget who said this, maybe it was one of the EFS guys, but anyway; 80% of your workouts will be average, 10% will be shitty, and 10% will be superhuman. I find it to be pretty true.

Zoe

Did you tell them to fuck off

Because you should definitely tell them to fuck off

I'm pretty much invisible in the free weight area. Last week a guy walked into my rack as I was putting weights onto the bar.

It's okay, another rack opened up. The thing I hate more is when the guys leave fully racked bars up near the top so I have to reach practically over my head to remove the 45's.

abuC

I forget who said this, maybe it was one of the EFS guys, but anyway; 80% of your workouts will be average, 10% will be shitty, and 10% will be superhuman. I find it to be pretty true.

That sounds about right, as soon as I got into the gym my nervous system just said "LOL, peace out, you're on your own B".

I'm pretty much invisible in the free weight area. Last week a guy walked into my rack as I was putting weights onto the bar.

It's okay, another rack opened up. The thing I hate more is when the guys leave fully racked bars up near the top so I have to reach practically over my head to remove the 45's.

Your gym sounds like it has nothing but assholes working out there, Neogaf members excluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom