• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Nutrition House sells them.

BB.com, Quest Bars official website sells them, and plenty of other online supp stores, but they are all fucking expensive.

I went to a Nutrition House on my way to work to pick up a couple, and not only did they not have the Cookie Dough Flavour, they were all sold out of every flavour until tomorrow. fml

Cookie dough is exclusive to GNC and Quest's own website right now. Bodybuilding.com doesn't even have them. Guy at a local store that sells every other flavor is PISSED.

Cudder

Cookie dough is exclusive to GNC and Quest's own website right now. Bodybuilding.com doesn't even have them. Guy at a local store that sells every other flavor is PISSED.

I asked a Quest representative on their Live Chat (lol) when BB.com would be getting them, and she said in 3-4 months. Maybe that's GNC's exclusivity window?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
These are quality bars ingredients wise, but I tried the (sea) salted nut with chocolate on it tasted like paper.

The one I had was almond cherry chocolate and some other stuff and it was amazing.

Actually yeah I forgot about those. They taste great but I didn't really consider them protein bars, the protein one has 7g only and the others less. But they are great.

Yeah, I wouldn't either.

Use to do fasted 2 hour workouts for a few months and haven't gotten any gains.

This included 30-45 min cardio and 1 hr 15 min hittin the weights

A few months ago changed I changed it up and just did fasted cardio, than I go to the locker room and eat a scoop of peanut butter and a banana than proceed with my weight training.

Finally got my pump back. Thought I would shed some extra body fat doing only a fasted workout, but I lost my pump. Feel much better now and I am at 10% BF weighing in at 159lbs. Would like to get to 6/7 and try to sustain it. Been making serious adjustments to my lifestyle in the past 2 months, like barley drinking when I go out (works wonders) and only snaking on veggies. Not really eating much fruit this week outside my morning banana.

agrajag

Banned
God damn taking back pics is tricky, gonna have to ask for assistance from the GF in the future:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A0Tk_e5hu3E/UXmELC7n26I/AAAAAAAABBk/_9nlzHYU-wA/s512/IMG_20130408_234015.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

bah, I took an excellent back pic, but no one even commented on it, even though I was looking pretty swole

[quote="Quikies83, post: 55479376"]I wear low-cut slipon Chuck Taylors... love them[/QUOTE]

I love my high-cut chucks, they're more comfortable to wear than sneakers

Use to do fasted 2 hour workouts for a few months and haven't gotten any gains.

This included 30-45 min cardio and 1 hr 15 min hittin the weights

A few months ago changed I changed it up and just did fasted cardio, than I go to the locker room and eat a scoop of peanut butter and a banana than proceed with my weight training.

Finally got my pump back. Thought I would shed some extra body fat doing only a fasted workout, but I lost my pump. Feel much better now and I am at 10% BF weighing in at 159lbs. Would like to get to 6/7 and try to sustain it. Been making serious adjustments to my lifestyle in the past 2 months, like barley drinking when I go out (works wonders) and only snaking on veggies. Not really eating much fruit this week outside my morning banana.

6/7%? God damn. Props to you buddy.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hello FitnessGAF. My name is on the left.

Haven't really read this thread much but decided to pop in after getting back on the horse. Quick rundown. 6 years ago I was 220 and sitting at 11% body fat. I was OK with this. Always exercised and ate right. Hit 225 and decided to stay there a while. Went in for a kidney stone (I've been getting them every 2 years or so since my early teens) and they found sugar in my urine. Long story short - type 2 diabetes. Fast forward and I'm now type 1.

I got depressed when I became diabetic, quit lifting, quit exercising, etc for years. Decided to hop back on the horse about 7 weeks ago. So here's my most embarrassing current pic (taken today) in my basement. I'm 6'3" and I feel so tiny :( I need to gain more weight so I can go as Bane this Halloween. Not cutting this year. A little bit harder feeding my body properly while keeping my glucose in check but I've got that shit on lockdown. Will be far easier to cut when I need to. I plan to bulk for another year and cut next summer... so here's me being all slob-like after not touching a weight for 5 years until 7 weeks ago:

JnZdnu0.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hello FitnessGAF. My name is on the left.

Haven't really read this thread much but decided to pop in after getting back on the horse. Quick rundown. 6 years ago I was 220 and sitting at 11% body fat. I was OK with this. Always exercised and ate right. Hit 225 and decided to stay there a while. Went in for a kidney stone (I've been getting them every 2 years or so since my early teens) and they found sugar in my urine. Long story short - type 2 diabetes. Fast forward and I'm now type 1.

I got depressed when I became diabetic, quit lifting, quit exercising, etc for years. Decided to hop back on the horse about 7 weeks ago. So here's my most embarrassing current pic (taken today) in my basement. I'm 6'3" and I feel so tiny :( I need to gain more weight so I can go as Bane this Halloween. Not cutting this year. A little bit harder feeding my body properly while keeping my glucose in check but I've got that shit on lockdown. Will be far easier to cut when I need to. I plan to bulk for another year and cut next summer... so here's me being all slob-like after not touching a weight for 5 years until 7 weeks ago:

Sounds like a plan brah. Sucks to hear about the diabetes though, that must have come as quite a shock to you.

Sounds like you got it all worked out though. Welcome to Camp Meat. Team Huge. We're gonna be monsters together.

And hell if that's the WORST you've looked, you have some promising times ahead my man.

Jack_AG

Banned
Sounds like a plan brah. Sucks to hear about the diabetes though, that must have come as quite a shock to you.

Sounds like you got it all worked out though. Welcome to Camp Meat. Team Huge. We're gonna be monsters together.

And hell if that's the WORST you've looked, you have some promising times ahead my man.

Ha! Thanks, bro. I went through challenging times with depression and I feel much better coming back out of my funk. Glad to be here and have support!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! Thanks, bro. I went through challenging times with depression and I feel much better coming back out of my funk. Glad to be here and have support!

You gonna use Starting Strength, or do you have a program already picked out and diet?

Ekdrm2d1

Actually yeah I forgot about those. They taste great but I didn't really consider them protein bars, the protein one has 7g only and the others less. But they are great.

My thoughts exactly.

Kind bars > Quest bars in terms of taste but Kind bars are not true protein bars.

Love me some kind bars, they taste wonderful and tremendous compared to Quest bars :p

Jack_AG

Banned
You gonna use Starting Strength, or do you have a program already picked out and diet?

I'm just going to stick with my old routine since that's what worked best for me for bulking/cutting since i've seen gains since I got back to lifting. Very basic.

6 day on, Saturday is rest day. One muscle group per day.
Compound exercises with free weights.
Legs/Back get 4 exercises of 5 sets of 10/8/6/4/4 (lots of areas to hit).
Other muscles get 3 exercises of 5 sets.
I TIME EVERYTHING to the second with a stopwatch to make sure I move from exercise to exercise with maximum efficiency/energy recovery.
Keep logs of every pound I need for every exercise every time I lift to make sure I am pushing the exact amount of reps I need per set to keep with my goals.
Keep logs of every gram of fat, protein and carb i eat and meal make-up I ingest throughout the day with timestamps. Check my glucose before every new exercise when lifting and at the end of my workout.

Pushing hard is the only thing that has triggered growth for me even with a proper diet. I started lifting at 165 lbs and sat there for about 2 years before I found a routine that worked. Hit the weight hard, get the hell out as quick as possible, eat right, get sleep.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
6/7%? God damn. Props to you buddy.
No thanks! Walking around at 6% permanently would not be an enjoyable life for me. I think 8 is the perfect amount if you are looking for a shredded everyday look. Good luck though brother!

grumble

No thanks! Walking around at 6% permanently would not be an enjoyable life for me. I think 8 is the perfect amount if you are looking for a shredded everyday look. Good luck though brother!

Is 8% sustainable long term? That would require a lot of work to keep up, and your hormones would start to drop a lot.

Cooter

I'm just going to stick with my old routine since that's what worked best for me for bulking/cutting since i've seen gains since I got back to lifting. Very basic.

6 day on, Saturday is rest day. One muscle group per day.
Compound exercises with free weights.
Legs/Back get 4 exercises of 5 sets of 10/8/6/4/4 (lots of areas to hit).
Other muscles get 3 exercises of 5 sets.
I TIME EVERYTHING to the second with a stopwatch to make sure I move from exercise to exercise with maximum efficiency/energy recovery.
Keep logs of every pound I need for every exercise every time I lift to make sure I am pushing the exact amount of reps I need per set to keep with my goals.
Keep logs of every gram of fat, protein and carb i eat and meal make-up I ingest throughout the day with timestamps. Check my glucose before every new exercise when lifting and at the end of my workout.

Pushing hard is the only thing that has triggered growth for me even with a proper diet. I started lifting at 165 lbs and sat there for about 2 years before I found a routine that worked. Hit the weight hard, get the hell out as quick as possible, eat right, get sleep.
This man has got it down! Great post and great plan! I have no doubt you will achieve your goals.

Cooter

Is 8% sustainable long term? That would require a lot of work to keep up, and your hormones would start to drop a lot.
A hell of a lot easier than six or seven. Haha

I think its sustainable but it wouldn't be easy.

Too stressful and too much work. I will gladly be at 12% while I eat my Taco Bell.

OH MAN ALL THESE TACOS AND BURRITOS AND CHEESY FIESTA POTATOES.

When I was wrestling and cutting mad weight I clocked in at like 7% during most seasons with caliper checks. They had specific rules (trying to prevent weight class scamming) about how much weight you could lose during the season, but if you were under like 8% during the initial pre-season assessment there were special exceptions (for basically being "naturally" really lean) so I'd always try to get under. I honestly don't think it was very healthy, I know that I don't ever want to be that low myself. Something more like 10-12 seems much better for overall health.

Imm0rt4l

8 should be ok, if difficult. I've always heard there are a lot of changes in your body at like 6% that cause problems hormonally.

Yea, lowered test, little sex drive come to mind. Trying to sustain that I'd imagine would be detrimental as you'd be catabolic and pretty much never anabolic. 4-5% is like legit bodybuilder show conditionig, some get shredded down to even 2-3%. I've known guys that diet down that far and they say they don't get boners for the time being and takes several weeks for their body to get back to homeostasis. Also, getting sick at a really low bf would be dangerous, though 6% may be a decent enough threshold(but I really wouldn't know).

seriously?

Yea libido drops a lot, and being able to actually get it up whenever you want wouldn't be very easy at all, but it varies from person to person I suppose. Depends on if you naturally have a decent amount of test to begin with for one. Also dieting that low would require that you'd probably have to lessen your fat in take a good deal which is the most important macro for your hormones.

934081_626559917371413_2136869780_n.jpg

To put it into perspective, this guy here is dieting for a show. I don't know the approximate bf he's at currently, but he vlogs regularly and has even had to buy his gf flowers to make up for his current lack of libido. Sacrifices.

blackflag

Yea, lowered test, little sex drive come to mind. Trying to sustain that I'd imagine would be detrimental as you'd be catabolic and pretty much never anabolic. 4-5% is like legit bodybuilder show conditionig, some get shredded down to even 2-3%. I've known guys that diet down that far and they say they don't get boners for the time being and takes several weeks for their body to get back to homeostasis. Also, getting sick at a really low bf would be dangerous, though 6% may be a decent enough threshold(but I really wouldn't know).

Yea libido drops a lot, and being able to actually get it up whenever you want wouldn't be very easy at all, but it varies from person to person I suppose. Depends on if you naturally have a decent amount of test to begin with for one. Also dieting that low would require that you'd probably have to lessen your fat in take a good deal which is the most important macro for your hormones.

I've heard this. Pro bodybuilders avoid this because of the AAS.

934081_626559917371413_2136869780_n.jpg

To put it into perspective, this guy here is dieting for a show. I don't know the approximate bf he's at currently, but he vlogs regularly and has even had to buy his gf flowers to make up for his current lack of libido. Sacrifices.

That guy has some great proportions.

Your body starts panicking in different ways if you stay at a low BF for to long. A couple years ago me and a friend of mine were training for a half marathon and we both got really low. Her body completely shut down her menstrual cycle at one point and I had almost no libido at all.

blackflag

Yea, exogenous hormones make a huge difference I'd imagine.

Yeah it depends, nandrolone (deca) can kill your boners because of elevated prolactin. Tren can do the same but I guess not as bad.

The only thing I can say for sure is that testosterone (on prescription) gives me random boners even more than when I was a teenager. It's crazy. Sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night.

but if I let my estradiol rise, boom no libido, no boners. Now that I got that under control it's a pretty crazy feeling.

Pretty interesting stuff.

It is crazy to think how much chemicals play a role in our body. One of those things where you think you have control over yourself and who you are when in reality, you don't.

CrankyJay

Banned

Your body starts panicking in different ways if you stay at a low BF for to long. A couple years ago me and a friend of mine were training for a half marathon and we both got really low. Her body completely shut down her menstrual cycle at one point and I had almost no libido at all.

Perfect, because I'm married and we just had a kid so my wife is no longer interested in sex. LOL. =(

Demon Ice

Banned
I have a history of knee and ankle injuries (fractured left knee cap, torn deltoid ligament in left ankle) so I've been avoiding squats until I get my leg press up. I hit 5 reps at 350 last week and my joints didn't bother me so I want to start squatting next time I'm in the gym for leg day.

I'm practicing the form in my room right now following the instructions in the Starting Strength wiki and I'm encountering two issues:

1) When I get to around parallel, my arms reflexively come forward to balance me out. I try to keep them in the position they would be at if the barbell was on my shoulders and I fall backwards.

2) My stance widens as I get lower. Like my toes turn out more (The SS wiki says feet at shoulder width, toes ~15 degrees out) and I feel the need to widen my stance to balance myself.

Any tips? Is it okay to widen the stance as long as my knees stay in line with my toes?

My gym does have a Smith machine so I'm planning on practicing on that with some light weights but I would obviously eventually like to move on to the actual squat rack.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Imm0rt4l

That makes sense, since women have higher setpoints than guys. a Beachbody chick is like 20%bf or a little above, whereas a guy's is significantly lower.

Yeah it depends, nandrolone (deca) can kill your boners because of elevated prolactin. Tren can do the same but I guess not as bad.

The only thing I can say for sure is that testosterone (on prescription) gives me random boners even more than when I was a teenager. It's crazy. Sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night.

but if I let my estradiol rise, boom no libido, no boners. Now that I got that under control it's a pretty crazy feeling.

Is trt a hassle at all(aside from random boners)? or is it one of those things where it's better than the alternative(not having it). I guess what I mean is it an inconvenience at all minor or otherwise? Aware me on what a routine whether it's weekly intake, regular doctor visits etc.

Matugi

Had a good workout today. Started with some rhythm bench press, then did leg press, moved to a dumbell press/dumbell fly superset (focused on range of motion as opposed to weight), then a tricep, bicep, and traps super set. Finished with incline sprint HIIT. All told burned about 700 calories which sets me right on track with my cut. Also tried my first quest bar today. Tasted good but it was hard to chew.

blackflag

I have a history of knee and ankle injuries (fractured left knee cap, torn deltoid ligament in left ankle) so I've been avoiding squats until I get my leg press up. I hit 5 reps at 350 last week and my joints didn't bother me so I want to start squatting next time I'm in the gym for leg day.

I'm practicing the form in my room right now following the instructions in the Starting Strength wiki and I'm encountering two issues:

1) When I get to around parallel, my arms reflexively come forward to balance me out. I try to keep them in the position they would be at if the barbell was on my shoulders and I fall backwards.

2) My stance widens as I get lower. Like my toes turn out more (The SS wiki says feet at shoulder width, toes ~15 degrees out) and I feel the need to widen my stance to balance myself.

Any tips? Is it okay to widen the stance as long as my knees stay in line with my toes?

My gym does have a Smith machine so I'm planning on practicing on that with some light weights but I would obviously eventually like to move on to the actual squat rack.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#1 will probably be fixed when you use the bar.
#2 yes you can go with a wider stance.

I'd skip the Smith. It will make your practice worthless because it feels totally different and it's also probably bad for your knees.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I get that shit and I'm not even on anything. I'll be sleeping and wake up with the god damned washington monument in my pants. Shit's like a granite baby fist. If I rolled over I'd do a fucking barrel roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom