• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilti92

So I tried the dumbell flys that were recommended for the center pec muscles and I felt more burn near my shoulders than in the normal. Does it matter where the burn is or no?

bjb

Banned
It contains the deconstructed components of ephedra, it IS that serious.

My understanding (for quite some time) is products like Craze contain ephedra extract - which is a different version of the Ephedra that contained ephedra alkaloids (banned since '06, and are significantly more potent and powerful).

In fact, for products like Craze, they use certain Ephedra Extracts that comes from plants like Ephedra Viridis or Nevadensis, each of which do not even contain the particular Alkaloid that contains Ephedrine. i.e The effective component for energy & white loss. Thus, they mix it with a bunch of caffeine, broscience and creatine, and nobody questions the claims otherwise.

Someone can dispute if they like and I'll look it up later when I'm off work. Regardless, comparing it to amphetamines or methylphenidate is pretty silly. There simply is no comparison in terms of effectiveness (imo).

So I tried the dumbell flys that were recommended for the center pec muscles and I felt more burn near my shoulders than in the normal. Does it matter where the burn is or no?

Center pec isn't a separate muscle. It's impossible to isolate it. The idea you can is a popular myth. The chest divides into upper and lower, not inner and outer; shape in the middle of the muscle is determined by a combination of genetics and how developed the whole muscle is. Just work out the whole thing as hard as you can.

Hilti92

Center pec isn't a separate muscle. It's impossible to isolate it. The idea you can is a popular myth. The chest divides into upper and lower, not inner and outer; shape in the middle of the muscle is determined by a combination of genetics and how developed the whole muscle is. Just work out the whole thing as hard as you can.

Alright I guess I will just keep working my chest in general more. Also guys, if I work my forearms more, which I have never really done.. Will that help me be able to curl more weight?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My understanding (for quite some time) is products like Craze contain ephedra extract - which is a different version of the Ephedra that contained ephedra alkaloids (banned since '06, and are significantly more potent and powerful).

In fact, for products like Craze, they use certain Ephedra Extracts that comes from plants like Ephedra Viridis or Nevadensis, each of which do not even contain the particular Alkaloid that contains Ephedrine. i.e The effective component for energy & white loss. Thus, they mix it with a bunch of caffeine, broscience and creatine, and nobody questions the claims otherwise.

Someone can dispute if they like and I'll look it up later when I'm off work. Regardless, comparing it to amphetamines or methylphenidate is pretty silly. There simply is no comparison in terms of effectiveness (imo).

I threw the tub to my mother who is an RN and has been for over 34 years. She read the back picked out 3 names I can't remember that sound like chemicals and said they are the deconstructed components of ephedra. The reason she asked to look at it was because I told her "how it made me feel." She then proceeded to say "well, this is why."

I took the shit, it's more than sugar and caffeine. The energy drink I use now doesn't even compare to craze which has 350mg of caffeine and other shit in it.

The way it made me feel (like I was on drugs) is exactly why I stopped taking it.

Hahaha.

Day after day, we see wearers of Cargo Shorts self-consciously hiding their God-given gams when all their legs want to do is experience a little freedom and sunshine.

Why all those pockets? Do you really need to carry that many things on a daily basis? Or is it that the bulk of those pockets serves to further constrict your thighs and extend the confidence-shrinking effect of those ever so lengthy shorts?

Haha. I applaud their mission. But I'm hella confident in the shorts I wear. Even the ones with all those pockets. :)

I play rugby so at this point i've just gotten used to wearing short shorts.

bjb

Banned
I threw the tub to my mother who is an RN and has been for over 34 years. She read the back picked out 3 names I can't remember that sound like chemicals and said they are the deconstructed components of ephedra.

lawl

I mean, obviously it's going to be more potent than coffee or an energy drink given the amount of shit that is simply mixed together.

That being said, I used to take Craze (and other similar products) until a friend of mine (who is pursuing his Ph.D in biological chemistry/science) absolutely ripped me and every other potential clown for buying into it. Because while it does contain ephedra extracts, they're not from the plants which contain true Ephedrine. I'm assuming that's due to legal ramifications.

andycapps

I took some crazy preworkout sample from GNC last week. Never again. I was talking a mile a minute and my heart was about to explode. Not worth it.

I took that Hydroxycut years ago when it had ephedrine in it. Made me really irritable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lawl

I mean, obviously it's going to be more potent than coffee or an energy drink given the amount of shit that is simply mixed together.

That being said, I used to take Craze (and other similar products) until a friend of mine (who is pursuing his Ph.D in biological chemistry/science) absolutely ripped me and every other potential clown for buying into it. Because while it does contain ephedra extracts, they're not from the plants which contain true Ephedrine. I'm assuming that's due to legal ramifications.

So you've gone from "caffeine, sugar and broscience" to "a bunch of shit mixed together that's obviously more potent than energy drinks and coffee."

At least I know what to expect from here on out.

"lawl"

bjb

Banned
So you've gone from "caffeine, sugar and broscience" to "a bunch of shit mixed together that's obviously more potent than energy drinks and coffee."

At least I know what to expect from here on out.

"lawl"

Damn, what's up with the salt?

Clearly shit mixed together = Craze's contents. i.e. caffeine, sugar and broscience. Which yes, should be more potent than your average cup of coffee or energy drink.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh sorry for being vague guys!

I've been lifting for about 3 years now, 2 years seriously. I'm bulking at the moment and I was just wondering if there was anything to what my buddy was saying in my first post.

How strong are you? Squat, bench dead numbers. From your posts it sounds like you haven't had much of a structured routine in which case your friend would be right: you're curtailing your own progress.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So Craze is amazing. Best preworkout I've ever taken.

aaaaand I'm pretty sure there is speed in it. I'm serious.

If you don't need it, I wouldn't take it. I'd also advise you not to exceed the maximum dosage on the label. I didn't even finish the tub I took because of exactly what you're describing.

Sallokin

Hey all, I would really love a form check on my squats if you have the time. I'm still very much a novice.

http://youtu.be/lz8RdH__Dk0

Upon watching the video I feel like I could do with a wider stance to get lower, however, when I go lower I get a pain on the interior portion of my left knee, not under the cap, but on the divot just to the right of the cap if that makes sense. Also I can tell I have an issue with, I guess I'll call it hip waggle, it looks like I make an "s" motion on the way down/up. Any other tips would be appreciated.

At some point I will upload a deadlift one since that is my messiest lift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey all, I would really love a form check on my squats if you have the time. I'm still very much a novice.

Upon watching the video I feel like I could do with a wider stance to get lower, however, when I go lower I get a pain on the interior portion of my left knee, not under the cap, but on the divot just to the right of the cap if that makes sense. Also I can tell I have an issue with, I guess I'll call it hip waggle, it looks like I make an "s" motion on the way down/up. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Hard to tell, but it looks like you're using highbar. To which I say, you need to go deeper, keep your torso more erect and no, you don't need to widen your stance.

That's all from a very hard angle to read.

Sallokin

Hard to tell, but it looks like you're using highbar. To which I say, you need to go deeper, keep your torso more erect and no, you don't need to widen your stance.

That's all from a very hard angle to read.

Gotcha. I'll try to find a better angle. That area of the gym is super crowded unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback though. Yes it is very much a high bar stance (can't do low bar very well yet), so I'll give the changes a shot next time I'm there.

Seandor

Neo Member
Craze is definitely some potent pre-workout, and it is a devil's tool. I once made the mistake of taking a regular size dosed around oh, I don't know, 4pm? That night I was tossing and turning and probably got about 2 hours of sleep. I don't have the tub anymore, but after that I only ever took it in the early AM hours. Oh, it also made me last a lot longer during sexual activities. That was kinda nifty.

bjb

Banned
Craze is definitely some potent pre-workout, and it is a devil's tool. I once made the mistake of taking a regular size dosed around oh, I don't know, 4pm? That night I was tossing and turning and probably got about 2 hours of sleep. I don't have the tub anymore, but after that I only ever took it in the early AM hours. Oh, it also made me last a lot longer during sexual activities. That was kinda nifty.

You were most likely experiencing the effects of the caffeine and it's synergy with other possible synthetic drugs. Which some people do claim Craze contains. Keep in mind Craze is a Proprietary blend, meaning while the ingredients are listed - their specific amounts and/or types aren't always listed.

For example, Craze is/was facing a lawsuit this time last year. The lawsuit claimed that one of Craze's ingredients dendrobium (or Dendrobex as they've trademarked) contained amphetamine drugs, more specifically phenylethylamine.

Some experts questioned whether or not phenylethylamine occurs naturally in dendrobium plants. Further more, that Phenylethylamine is a stimulant with effects similar to amphetamine. Those claims were never proven iirc.

So if you factor in client's feedback (even AlienShogun's), such as "It made me feel like I was on drugs", then it's entirely possibly that it's the body's affect in dealing with synthetic stimulants (amphetamine-like ones in that example). However, as someone who regularly takes true amphetamines - and has built up a fairly good tolerance to them over time, the comparisons really aren't concrete. I suppose I could see how people who aren't familiar with it might react. But I'm fairly confident if I gave anyone here 30mg of generic Aderall v.s. Craze there wouldn't even be a debate. I witnessed this first hand.

Simply put; just because any pre-workout makes you 'feel' a particular way, doesn't mean it's actually effective and not just your body spinning out of control being introduced with unfamiliar substances. Thus, instead of spending $30-40 on a supplement that could potentially be more hazardous to your health - you might as well visit your PCP and complain you're having trouble concentrating. Get a prescription for something like aderall, and spend infinitely less money (assuming you have insurance) while reaping the same (greater - safer) benefits at a fraction of the cost. Just my pro-tip for the night.

Noema

You pretty much picked the worst angle possible for that video. :p

But yeah, your squats look a tad high. Your stance is fine but you could point your feet outwards, maybe 20 or 30 degrees, and consciously shove your knees out so they track your toes.

We'd need a video from a better angle though.

Sallokin

You pretty much picked the worst angle possible for that video. :p

But yeah, your squats look a tad high. Your stance is fine but you could point your feet outwards, maybe 20 or 30 degrees, and consciously shove your knees out so they track your toes.

We'd need a video from a better angle though.

Figures I would grab the worst one lol. Next time I'll do one using the mirror that is to my right, should give a much better view. Thanks!

bjb

Banned
Not sure if serious, it has phenyethylamine. Which is similar to amphetamine. Banned in a lot of places but not U.S.

I mentioned this above. Based on the (ongoing?) class action lawsuit - I believe those claims have yet to be scientifically proven - just suggested through 2 studies done two decades ago.

blackflag

Actually craze is not ephedra extract its very different. I take ephedrine daily, it's nothing alike

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You were most likely experiencing the effects of the caffeine and it's synergy with other possible synthetic drugs. Which some people do claim Craze contains. Keep in mind Craze is a Proprietary blend, meaning while the ingredients are listed - their specific amounts and/or types aren't always listed.

For example, Craze is/was facing a lawsuit this time last year. The lawsuit claimed that one of Craze's ingredients dendrobium (or Dendrobex as they've trademarked) contained amphetamine drugs, more specifically phenylethylamine.

Some experts questioned whether or not phenylethylamine occurs naturally in dendrobium plants. Further more, that Phenylethylamine is a stimulant with effects similar to amphetamine. Those claims were never proven iirc.

So if you factor in client's feedback (even AlienShogun's), such as "It made me feel like I was on drugs", then it's entirely possibly that it's the body's affect in dealing with synthetic stimulants (amphetamine-like ones in that example). However, as someone who regularly takes true amphetamines - and has built up a fairly good tolerance to them over time, the comparisons really aren't concrete. I suppose I could see how people who aren't familiar with it might react. But I'm fairly confident if I gave anyone here 30mg of generic Aderall v.s. Craze there wouldn't even be a debate. I witnessed this first hand.

Simply put; just because any pre-workout makes you 'feel' a particular way, doesn't mean it's actually effective and not just your body spinning out of control being introduced with unfamiliar substances. Thus, instead of spending $30-40 on a supplement that could potentially be more hazardous to your health - you might as well visit your PCP and complain you're having trouble concentrating. Get a prescription for something like aderall, and spend infinitely less money (assuming you have insurance) while reaping the same (greater - safer) benefits at a fraction of the cost. Just my pro-tip for the night.

I'm not going to debate the ingredients of Craze. I'm not a fan of what I call "kitchen sink" pre workout supplements.

I am curious about you suggesting acquiring a prescription for a drug that is very commonly misused and then suggesting that that is the safer method of supplementation though.
Really?

blackflag

I mentioned this above. Based on the (ongoing?) class action lawsuit - I believe those claims have yet to be scientifically proven - just suggested through 2 studies done two decades ago.

No, the suit is that it actually has amphetamine. Phenyl is like amphetamine but legal. Difference. People claim the effect is too great for phenyl.

bjb

Banned
Actually craze is not ephedra extract

Eh, okay... So it's what then?

I'm not going to debate the ingredients of Craze. I'm not a fan of what I call "kitchen sink" pre workout supplements.

I am curious about you suggesting acquiring a prescription for a drug that is very commonly misused and then suggesting that that is the safer method of supplementation though.
Really?

What does college kids abusing it have anything to do with taking them for personal use in a responsible manner?

Demon Ice

Banned
Thanks. Kudos to you my man because this has been the easiest cut I've ever done by far thanks to the amazing discovery of our favorite protein bar!!

THEY ARE DELICIOUS!

You guys should be getting paid advertising fees by that company :p I really need to look into these Quest bars. My current protein bars have 20g of protein with 2g carbs but they taste like shit.

And microwaving them does nothing to improve that.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Eh, okay... So it's what then?

What does college kids abusing it have anything to do with taking them for personal use in a responsible manner?

Your comment didn't read like a suggestion for someone to properly get assessed for attention issues, then seek the help of a doctor that can prescribe a pharmaceutical to help them with those issues.
Your "protip" was get some adderal and take it cause its safer than the ingredients in a pre workout supplement.

Petrie

Banned
You guys should be getting paid advertising fees by that company :p I really need to look into these Quest bars. My current protein bars have 20g of protein with 2g carbs but they taste like shit.

Dat 18g or so of Fiber along with the delicious makes them far superior!

bjb

Banned
No, the suit is that it actually has amphetamine. Phenyl is like amphetamine but legal. Difference. People claim the effect is too great for phenyl.

Interesting. I was led to believe the the concern was that dendrobium was being spiked with other synthetic stimulants. Not so much unlawfully administering amphetamines (considering Phenyl is legal). Well, that and being manufactured in a non-compliant facility, and that the ingredient, dendrobium, is a new dietary ingredient (NDI), which required FDA notification or some shit.

That being said, it appears the lawsuit was thrown out of court. Thus, it seems the claims would be concurrent with potential side effects interacting with caffeine. But considering those side effects have never been conclusively proven - then yeah, who knows. Fuck proprietaries.

Your comment didn't read like a suggestion for someone to properly get assessed for attention issues, then seek the help of a doctor that can prescribe a pharmaceutical to help them with those issues.
Your "protip" was get some adderal and take it cause its safer than the ingredients in a pre workout supplement.

Actually that was my suggestion. However, taking them in a responsible manner. I don't see the problem unless you're going to introduce an anti-controlled substance argument.

I mean, lets look at Craze. It contains Dendrobium. Dendrobium contains several chemicals. Some of these chemicals might have effects in the body. They might lower blood pressure, increase blood sugar, and reduce pain. They might also increase the chance of seizure. However, none of these effects have been studied in people (to my knowledge). Therefore, the effects of dendrobium in people are not clear. In addition to some of the other shit it contains.

Meanwhile, psychostimulants like aderall have decades of research. They're proven safe and effective. The amphetamine effect is, quite frankly, an added bonus for some. They can be quite beneficial towards anyone willing to workout for a variety of a reasons.

So when comparing the two; something that might contain amphetamines with potentially a bunch of other hazardous chemicals that haven't been studied, versus a drug with known pathology and mechanisms - I'd almost certainly recommend the latter (costs not withstanding).

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I understand the argument. And I think you make a good point. But the other side of that argument would have plenty of valid reasoning as well.

I'm not here to defend either side. I just thought it was interesting that you called a product bioscience and then casually suggested a very "bro" way of getting similar or even better results by just using a prescription drug.
I think you write intelligently and it would be easy for someone less educated then yourself to come in here and just take that advice without consideration to common sense.

bjb

Banned
I understand the argument. And I think you make a good point. But the other side of that argument would have plenty of valid reasoning as well.

I'm not here to defend either side. I just thought it was interesting that you called a product bioscience and then casually suggested a very "bro" way of getting similar or even better results by just using a prescription drug.
I think you write intelligently and it would be easy for someone less educated then yourself to come in here and just take that advice without consideration to common sense.

Aye. To be honest, there's really no other way to legally acquire psychostimulants. In fact, chances are unless you're very tight with your doctor (which I was), you're going to have to jump through some hoops. For example, say you want Aderall, -most- responsible doctors will require the opinion of someone in the mental health field first. So chances are you're going to get a referral to a shrink. As long as you don't mind paying the extra co-pay, you would then essentially articulate to them the same thing.

To me, the "bro way" would be asking on craigslist or knowing some dude who wears three chains and sells them in the dorm basement.

Also, one last thing on Craze. I used to take it - a lot. I certainly don't advocate against anyone using it, but -personally- I feel like it's a waste of money. In my opinion, there's certainly cheaper, safer and equally/more effective alternatives available.

That's borderline high-top man lol. Looked much better slicked back and tapered.

Word. It comes off as more of a pompadour in person. I do like the look as I have gotten many compliments as well as WTF is on your head lol.

Good news is that I can slick it back if needed, which I have been doing more of lately.

Petrie

Banned
Word. It comes off as more of a pompadour in person. I do like the look as I have gotten many compliments as well as WTF is on your head lol.

Good news is that I can slick it back if needed, which I have been doing more of lately.

Or you can embrace it, let it grow, get more swole, and just be Goku.

I prefer this option.

Or you can embrace it, let it grow, get more swole, and just be Goku.

I prefer this option.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Brah, you're set. Make it happen.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
After a month of wearing a wrist brace, I've finally started working out again (upper-body), and I was wondering if it's normal to experience bruising in the injured area. Is it just because it's still sensitive from prolonged inactivity?

dejay

Banned
After a month of wearing a wrist brace, I've finally started working out again (upper-body), and I was wondering if it's normal to experience bruising in the injured area. Is it just because it's still sensitive from prolonged inactivity?

What was the injury?

I'd start off real light for a week and see how it goes.

SeanR1221

Alien, I see what you mean about LBEB now. Pastor put up a sloppy looking deadlift PR video and he's jumping on anyone that questions his form. He told one guy to get a stronger back, and that guy answered back with a video of himself doing the same weight at 165 pounds with perfect form.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alien, I see what you mean about LBEB now. Pastor put up a sloppy looking deadlift PR video and he's jumping on anyone that questions his form. He told one guy to get a stronger back, and that guy answered back with a video of himself doing the same weight at 165 pounds with perfect form.

Yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom