• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

Assembling all the foods I'll be eating for the next 10 weeks. Here's what I got.

- chicken
- tuna
- broccoli
- green beans
- Brussel sprouts
- butternut squash
- spinach
- eggplant
- peppers
- frozen berries

- eggs
- bacon (occasionally)
- whey
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- turkey burgers
- chicken sausage
- pork (occasionally)
- salmon

I like the vegetables/fruit listings :p
Reminds me of my fruit/veg plate that I eat. I do not cook any of this or add any sauces. Just "raw" as-is.

Why do you choose frozen berries?
I buy organic fresh berries and I've always been pleased with them. They costs -$2 more but they taste oh-so-great.
img8429m.jpg

The past couple of times I've been on the treadmill, I've had to cut it short because my left ankle had started to hurt. I did all the requisite stretching and even start slow before advancing into a brisk jog, so I'm not sure what's causing it. I didn't run that often prior to joining my gym, and my shoes are less than a year old, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

CrankyJay

Banned
The past couple of times I've been on the treadmill, I've had to cut it short because my left ankle had started to hurt. I did all the requisite stretching and even start slow before advancing into a brisk jog, so I'm not sure what's causing it. I didn't run that often prior to joining my gym, and my shoes are less than a year old, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Running is pretty brutal on ligaments and joints.

I would personally argue you can get a decent workout on an elliptical machine without any of the pain associated with running if cardio is your thing.

Ekdrm2d1

Do you have more or less chest hair than Steve Carell?

http://youtu.be/ZbXbRTRlKag

I guess I should have included a picture. My personal trainer and nutritionist think I'm a bit too skinny for my fitness goals. Excuse Mr. Skinny over here :p
The below picture was taken after 1-1/2 alcohol detox so I lost weight as a result. Typically I'm 10 lbs. heavier (if you can even notice that.)
colinphotos20130222b.jpg

Running is pretty brutal on ligaments and joints.

I would personally argue you can get a decent workout on an elliptical machine without any of the pain associated with running if cardio is your thing.

Only time running is hard on your joints is if you have bad form.

Looking good DRM.
You could bulk up a bit on a 3-3.5k diet for a couple of months of heavy lifting, and then cut for two months to get into the same definition you have now but with a lot more mass.
Back from the gym, and feeling great. Had a shoulder/whatever ache from last week's one-arm row movement that I've cured through careful sets of one-arm row.

Speaking of cutting:

I'm considering working on my stamina during the summer (I can barely do a 2km jog in 20-30 minutes, and always end up #dead), would training up for a half-marathon be a good cutting strategy?

Kyaw

You've got to milk that linear progression dry before moving to intermediate. If you are doing SS, switch your squats to Mondays / Fridays only after your second reset, and do 2x5 with very light weights (like 60% of your 5RM) on Wednesday.

I am planning on milking the LP. I've switched to GSLP from SS. I'll add back in 60% 5RM squats on Wednesdays.

I'd like to add power cleans to GSLP but I don't know when or if I should.

Ekdrm2d1

OK, you have less, so it may not hurt as much.

Ha. Right on.

Not crazy about the above picture and showing off pecs. It looks like I have none at all.
On the right pec (in the picture) you can see hair shaping a long side of the pec but that's about it. I asked my mom who is a personal trainer (not mine) last night and she definitely saw that I had pecs and recommended I have the hair removed. It's like I feel too skinny to imagine I have pec muscles :(

SeanR1221

I like the vegetables/fruit listings :p
Reminds me of my fruit/veg plate that I eat. I do not cook any of this or add any sauces. Just "raw" as-is.

Why do you choose frozen berries?
I buy organic fresh berries and I've always been pleased with them. They costs -$2 more but they taste oh-so-great.

I can buy them in bulk and they'll last me a long time :)

Ekdrm2d1

Looking good DRM.
You could bulk up a bit on a 3-3.5k diet for a couple of months of heavy lifting, and then cut for two months to get into the same definition you have now but with a lot more mass.

Back from the gym, and feeling great. Had a shoulder/whatever ache from last week's one-arm row movement that I've cured through careful sets of one-arm row.

Speaking of cutting:

I'm considering working on my stamina during the summer (I can barely do a 2km jog in 20-30 minutes, and always end up #dead), would training up for a half-marathon be a good cutting strategy?

Thanks! Exactly. That's what my personal trainer tells me. I need to eat more!
Just don't want to gain any weight. I love my body want don't want to risk my abs falling off or gaining weight in an area which I don't want too. I guess one of my problems is the definition of healthy weight. Bulking isn't fat weight, it's muscle definition. Granted I exercise and build muscle with the additional weight.

I have been eating more, and been experimenting with protein. Months ago, I thought protein was all the same. I knew all the food groups such as meat, eggs, soy, etc. but I never knew about whey, casein, plant, etc. I've been reading up on the different types of proteins.

Recently, I followed my personal trainer's directions and started to eat rice.
This stuff is awesome! Tastes just as described, hearty and nutty. Of course it's organic, me wasting money :p
img8596o.jpg

I'm going to try the organic Volcano Rice this week. We'll see how it tastes, going to be hard to top the above Ruby Red.

Yo, RippedGAF.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 180
Goal: strength, building up
Current Training Schedule: 5-days/wk
Current Training Equipment Available: full gym

During my early to mid 20's I was a monster in the gym and got pretty big. Then as I approached 30 I lost the mental edge and slowly started getting soft over the next decade. I'd have reoccurring bouts where I'd hit the gym for a few months, but nothing ever stuck. I was just always bored. Well, I'm currently going through another one of those, but this one is really sticking. It's been almost 6 months now and I'm still loving it and going strong. I even got my wife to join as well. At this point I want to hit 40 with a bang - I want to go over the hill swinging.

So for the past few months I've been going pretty heavy and seeing some of my size coming back. It's been fun, but I think it's time to switch it up and go outside my comfort zone. I've always been a free-weight/machine kind of guy. Controlled motions, 6-8 reps, lots of isolation, etc... But for my next routine I'd like to venture off into more plyometric and aerobic exercises. High intensity with the sweat pouring, that kind of thing. I also think this kind of routine would be better for my wife, knowing her goals (toning and weight loss). Right now I have her doing strength training on machines followed by 20-minutes of treadmill. That's getting a little stale and I don't really think it's for her.

Does anybody have any good resources for these alternative types of training? Medicine balls. ViPR bars. Kettlebells. Bodyweight. Shit, my gym even has this giant tractor tire in one of the basketball courts, which god knows what I could do with it, but it intrigues me. I'm looking for a real minimalistic, Rocky 4 kind of routine.

I need somebody to open my eyes to a different kind of training and new kinds of equipment.

Szu

Yo, RippedGAF.

During my early to mid 20's I was a monster in the gym and got pretty big. Then as I approached 30 I lost the mental edge and slowly started getting soft over the next decade. I'd have reoccurring bouts where I'd hit the gym for a few months, but nothing ever stuck. I was just always bored. Well, I'm currently going through another one of those, but this one is really sticking. It's been almost 6 months now and I'm still loving it and going strong. I even got my wife to join as well. At this point I want to hit 40 with a bang - I want to go over the hill swinging.

So for the past few months I've been going pretty heavy and seeing some of my size coming back. It's been fun, but I think it's time to switch it up and go outside my comfort zone. I've always been a free-weight/machine kind of guy. Controlled motions, 6-8 reps, lots of isolation, etc... But for my next routine I'd like to venture off into more plyometric and aerobic exercises. High intensity with the sweat pouring, that kind of thing. I also think this kind of routine would be better for my wife, knowing her goals (toning and weight loss). Right now I have her doing strength training on machines followed by 20-minutes of treadmill. That's getting a little stale and I don't really think it's for her.

Does anybody have any good resources for these alternative types of training? Medicine balls. ViPR bars. Kettlebells. Bodyweight. Shit, my gym even has this giant tractor tire in one of the basketball courts, which god knows what I could do with it, but it intrigues me. I'm looking for a real minimalistic, Rocky 4 kind of routine.

I need somebody to open my eyes to a different kind of training and new kinds of equipment.

Great to hear things are going well. You actually contrast my life quite a bit. I'm 39 now and I want to hit 40 with a freight truck. I'm also getting my wife into the gym with me.

I can't think of any specific alternatives sources, but you can tons of videos online.

ToxicAdam

Yo, RippedGAF.

Does your gym offer classes of any kind? Most gyms in my area have plenty of kettlebell, fitness boot camps, power yoga, bodyweight, etc classes they offer on the side. They do cost extra money though.

Petrie

Banned
Gotcha. You're right about how long they last. It sucks spending money on organic berries and for them to spoil in 5/6 days. Darn organics :p

That and the difficulty of vetting "organic" resources. Just about anything can have that label thrown on it with minimal requirements.

Does your gym offer classes of any kind? Most gyms in my area have plenty of kettlebell, fitness boot camps, power yoga, bodyweight, etc classes they offer on the side. They do cost extra money though.

They do, but not for Kettlebells (I don't think) or ViPR stuff. They do have fitness boot camps though - which I should look into. The problem with those though are the schedules, which are tough to accommodate, especially for my wife. We have small windows of time during the day in which to get our workouts in.

Ekdrm2d1

That and the difficulty of vetting "organic" resources. Just about anything can have that label thrown on it with minimal requirements.

For sure. I think that subject is highly controversial as well. The whole "Is organics really better for you, for 30% more the cost? "

I did stop buying organic coffee at least. Figured I don't need the "refined" nutrients of coffee.

However, still doing the organic chocolate. Furthering healthy chocolate, started to buy the raw stuff.

Fine & Raw Chocolate is organic and raw. Tastes tremendous! :p
fine-raw.png

Edit: Not to get side-tracked with organic talk. Being healthy and fitness is my hobby. I can talk all day :p

I'm 99% sure that's the issue, like I'm planting my left foot wrong or something.

I've never done the elliptical at the gym before, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Hurts my knees as well. How do you run correctly? I prefer riding a bike for the reason that it kills my knees to run.

In a nutshell the easiest way to fix your form is to run barefoot on grass,sand for a mile and note the shift your body takes as far as foot placement and posture.

Your body will automatically try to recalibrate to what is natural. If after that mile you feel discomfort outside of muscle soreness in your joints like(knees or ankles, shins) your still employing bad practices. If you feel it in your knee's, or shins your striking with your heel too much. If your knee does hurt access how your heel feels. It should be pretty sore since your likely putting the majority of your body weight on a non weight bearing bone.

If your hips hurt your likely trying to extend your stride too much. Basically just keep running and adjusting until the pain goes away and you can comfortably run. Its also good to film yourself from a side angle to determine imbalances.

Once you get that down switch to shoes and practice duplicating the same feeling.

When doing front squats do any of you have a impossible time lining your forearms and wrists parallel to your bicep?

Its a physical impossibility for me and it drives me nuts.

Yeah, love this performance. Dat muscle up. Dat dismount.

Nothing against weight lifting and power lifting, but I always find displays of strength such as this to be far more impressive than say a 500 lbs bench press or a 800 lbs squat.

Me too. That said though I stand around and gawk just as much as everyone else when someone is loading the plates on the squat rack or bench press.

Pavaloo

When doing front squats do any of you have a impossible time lining your forearms and wrists parallel to your bicep?

Its a physical impossibility for me and it drives me nuts.

Like bending your forearms back? I could never do it, so I tend to front squat with my arms crossed like a genie.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah, love this performance. Dat muscle up. Dat dismount.

Nothing against weight lifting and power lifting, but I always find displays of strength such as this to be far more impressive than say a 500 lbs bench press or a 800 lbs squat.

Honestly, since I began squatting/deadlifting, my appreciation for videos like this one has gone up dramatically, just like my appreciation for gymnasts is so high because I used to exclusively do bodyweight workouts and know just how difficult muscle-ups, planches, levers, and handstands can be.

Idde

Hello all, I've got a small question:

In about five weeks I'll be entering a small powerlift-competition at my gym. It's nothing big, mostly just for fun (I won't win it anyway). I would like to use this opportunity to get to 1000 lbs. for the three combined lift.

I plan on continuing with my reverse pyramid workouts of 3, 6, 9, 12 reps. This worked well for me in the past, before I ran into some pretty serious shoulder problems, mostly related to a lot of benching (and an injuryprone bicepligament in my left shoulder)

So I plan on doing that for the next four to five weeks, working out three times a week. I would probably have two days, which would alternate:

Day A:

Deadlifts: 3, 6, 9, 12 reps

Single arm dumbbell rows: 3, 6, 9, 12 reps

One set of 3 dumbbell press, 6, 9, 12 bench

2 x 10 ab-walkouts

4 x 5 woodchoppers

Ten minute skip rope session at the end

Day B:

Squats: 3, 6, 9, 12 reps

(Weighted) pull-ups: 3, 6, 9, 12 reps

Dumbbell presses: 3, 6, 9, 12 reps

2 x 8 dragon flags

2 x 8 hanging windshield wipers (I think they're called that)

Some prowler pulling/pushing

One problem is that I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with my benching. Benching heavy sort of messes up my shoulder, unless I use dumbbells. So I've been doing my heavy sets with them. They should have some carry-over, right? I'm willing to fuck up my shoulder at the competition, just not before :p

My current stats are

3 x 300 lbs on squat

3 x 340 lbs on deads (and progressing nicely)

3 x 105 lbs on db press

Problem is: our dbs only go up to 110, which I'll get to in three days. What to do then? Does anybody have any tips? Does my routine suck? Should I skip out on the cardio and add in some assistance work? Any ideas would be helpfull, thanks!

Mully & Fitness-GAF:

Re: Chest hair and pecs.

My pecs grew in! I'm able to feel the outline of the pecs and feel the raised muscle of the pecs. However, they're hard to see considering I have a medium set of chest hair.

Shaving seems the easiest and cheapest but I'm nervous that I'd get razor burn and have redness for the completed photos. It was a fitness goal of mine to get pecs so I want the completed photos to be perfect.

Waxing seems like an OK idea, I've had my eyebrows waxed and it's not that bad. Stings for like 3 seconds. Then again, eyebrow hair is different than chest hair. There's so much more hair on my chest than eyebrows, it might start to become obnoxious/hurt.

I do not want permanent hair removal, that sounds scary!

Somebody mentioned trimming the hair to where I can see the outlines but I'm not sure about that.

Lastly, I love my chest hair. I've never shaved it in my life. Sorta think men are supposed to have a hairy chest. Then again, if you have pec muscles you need to show them off..

Thoughts or ideas? Thanks

I trim my chest, to the lowest level that the guide will take it. It's pretty much bald but still not low enough to irritate my skin. If your unsure how you would like to take it off I suggest doing that first because it will grow back the fastest.

balddemon

Banned
hot damn. is that a real dismount or was this like his last performance and he was just dicking around?
Honestly, since I began squatting/deadlifting, my appreciation for videos like this one has gone up dramatically, just like my appreciation for gymnasts is so high because I used to exclusively do bodyweight workouts and know just how difficult muscle-ups, planches, levers, and handstands can be.
hot damn. what is he wearing on his knees? description says no wraps.

blackflag

Yo, RippedGAF.

Aerobics? Plyometrics? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Just kidding, sorry I can't help.

Ekdrm2d1

I trim my chest, to the lowest level that the guide will take it. It's pretty much bald but still not low enough to irritate my skin. If your unsure how you would like to take it off I suggest doing that first because it will grow back the fastest.

Good deal. I don't have a trimmer but that's good to know if I buy one.

Thanks for the reply.

grumble

Yo, RippedGAF.

I'm not a big fan of this stuff personally, but you might want to look into Crossfit. It's got a lot of variety, a group atmosphere, it's intense and incorporates the kinds of movements you're probably looking for. It would fit your wife's (and your) goals. Just remember a few things:

1. Don't kip pullups.
2. Don't do plyometrics and deadlifts in the same day.
3. Don't do sumo deadlift high pulls.
4. Don't rush any technical lifts (ie doing snatches for time).
5. Especially due to your age, don't crush yourself.

SeanR1221

I went to GNC for the first time because I needed some more whey and didn't feel like driving 20 minutes to Costco (plus I want to get off cytosport anyway).

The guy kept telling me how the GNC brand is so much better than ON. He was like "are you just starting a program? The GNC brand is much faster acting than anything else"

I just said "I use maybe a scoop a day. I eat about 180g of protein a day in regular food".

He didn't say anything else then.

andycapps

I'm not a big fan of this stuff personally, but you might want to look into Crossfit. It's got a lot of variety, a group atmosphere, it's intense and incorporates the kinds of movements you're probably looking for. It would fit your wife's (and your) goals. Just remember a few things:

1. Don't kip pullups.
2. Don't do plyometrics and deadlifts in the same day.
3. Don't do sumo deadlift high pulls.
4. Don't rush any technical lifts (ie doing snatches for time).
5. Especially due to your age, don't crush yourself.

So basically you're telling him not to look into Crossfit.

CrankyJay

Banned
I went to GNC for the first time because I needed some more whey and didn't feel like driving 20 minutes to Costco (plus I want to get off cytosport anyway).

The guy kept telling me how the GNC brand is so much better than ON. He was like "are you just starting a program? The GNC brand is much faster acting than anything else"

I just said "I use maybe a scoop a day. I eat about 180g of protein a day in regular food".

He didn't say anything else then.

That's when you go "JUST STARTING? JUST STARTING?!"

Then you go over to their gigantic jugs of whey, put one on each shoulder, and start doing squats in the middle of their store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom