• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamanick

Hey everyone. I lurk this thread pretty faithfully (not a big talker though). I'd like to ask a question for the people who are familiar with the 5/3/1 BBB program. After stalling on squats for the third time on GSLP (stalled at 275) I'm ready to switch up and I'm going to do 3 cycles of 5/3/1 BBB starting Monday. I'll be doing the 5x10 on the opposite lift days - i.e. 5/3/1 OHP followed by 5x10 bench etc.

My question is regarding the other assistance exercises with the program. I'll keep the chins and the db rows, but I can't see myself doing leg curls and I'd be open to an alternate lift to hanging leg raises. I'd like to ask for suggestions for the substitutes - if you've found something that works well I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Veezy I am really sorry man that sounds dreadful. Thanks for all the insider info, helps put things into perspective.

Yep, 105 miles round trip. It's not robbing me of motivation, just time and ability to hit the gym. In this type of work going to the gym before work (how I work out) would be kind of stupid since I'd arrive at work "spent" and that's the wrong answer.

I guess I meant energy more than motivation. Nothing wipes me out like a long car ride, just kind of lulls you into feeling so sedentary.
Are you working at a penitentiary?

Mully

What's this quest bar shit? What makes them better than other bars?

A lot of FitGAF members like the way they taste.

I've seen them around my gym for the past week or so and I'm going to try to Brownie flavored one. It looks delicious.

sphinx

the piano man
Anyone else thinks muscle guys doing cosplay are cool?

578097_10151553757260775_156707831_n.jpg

I want to do Kano for a halloween party. Kano has never been a huge beast so maybe I can somewhat resemble him in some years, I've already got the beard and skin color, hopefully in one of the next 2 or 3 octobers, I hope, lol.

06kanocosplay_zps416372a8.jpg

grumble

Hey everyone. I lurk this thread pretty faithfully (not a big talker though). I'd like to ask a question for the people who are familiar with the 5/3/1 BBB program. After stalling on squats for the third time on GSLP (stalled at 275) I'm ready to switch up and I'm going to do 3 cycles of 5/3/1 BBB starting Monday. I'll be doing the 5x10 on the opposite lift days - i.e. 5/3/1 OHP followed by 5x10 bench etc.

My question is regarding the other assistance exercises with the program. I'll keep the chins and the db rows, but I can't see myself doing leg curls and I'd be open to an alternate lift to hanging leg raises. I'd like to ask for suggestions for the substitutes - if you've found something that works well I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Well the hamstring curls are a great choice because they work the hamstrings without working the lower back, but you could look into other movements as well that work the muscle. For hanging leg raises, any ab exercise will work. Maybe kneeling cable pull downs, or weighted decline sit-ups?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Veezy I am really sorry man that sounds dreadful. Thanks for all the insider info, helps put things into perspective.

I guess I meant energy more than motivation. Nothing wipes me out like a long car ride, just kind of lulls you into feeling so sedentary.
Are you working at a penitentiary?

Yeah, I don't work out on work days, which is why I moved to 2x a week again until I get my new house and start my home gym. So far my lifts have been "fine" time will tell though. And I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons at an FCI (Federal Correctional Institution).

I want to do Kano for a halloween party. Kano has never been a huge beast so maybe I can somewhat resemble him in some years, I've already got the beard and skin color, hopefully in one of the next 2 or 3 octobers, I hope, lol.

06kanocosplay_zps416372a8.jpg

I've contemplated going as a COG for Halloween or when I eventually go to PAX/E3.

[IMGhttp://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/spheenx/06kanocosplay_zps416372a8.jpg[/IMG]
:

Yeah, I don't work out on work days, which is why I moved to 2x a week again until I get my new house and start my home gym. So far my lifts have been "fine" time will tell though. And I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons at an FCI (Federal Correctional Institution).

I've contemplated going as a COG for Halloween or when I eventually go to PAX/E3.

Sounds like outside of the drive though you like the job which is actually the most important part and bro you have to go as a COG. You could pull that off perfectly.

shamanick

Well the hamstring curls are a great choice because they work the hamstrings without working the lower back, but you could look into other movements as well that work the muscle. For hanging leg raises, any ab exercise will work. Maybe kneeling cable pull downs, or weighted decline sit-ups?

My problem with doing leg curls after BBB squats is my hamstrings will probably be fried.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The cheapest one always tastes best to me.

I got that Twinlab shit for like 35 once. Worth it, but it tasted like pure ass. I proved to myself that if a homeless man's poopy butthole had the proper nutrients, I'd eat it.

To those that use protein powder,which one do you think taste the best?
Optimum Mint Chocolate and Double Chocolate are both good. Mint Chocolate is like 7.5/10 and Double Chocolate is like 7/10. AKA very good for protein shakes.

Wolfe

I got that Twinlab shit for like 35 once. Worth it, but it tasted like pure ass. I proved to myself that if a homeless man's poopy butthole had the proper nutrients, I'd eat it.

I'm trying to avoid coming to that conclusion :p

ToxicAdam

Do you mix with water or milk? I use milk and a hand blender, so all mine ever tastes like is a bad milkshake.

I haven't tried the Twinlabs one in years .. I do the Muscletech Premium they sell at Sam's Club.

ive been benching about a plate and a half (each side) and it feels like ive stalled/
any tips to get past the barrier? dont have a spotter

edit: for protein oh and ive been using redlab or something like that. vanilla flavored, not so bad

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
ive been benching about a plate and a half (each side) and it feels like ive stalled/

edit: for protein oh and ive been using redlab or something like that. vanilla flavored, not so bad
How many sets and with what reps do your chest days consist of?

Cudder

having a spotter or getting some forced reps is a good way to progress. not having to worry about going to failure on a lift will lift some of the nerves if you happen to attempt it. my guess is you could probably do a rep or two more if you had someone watching over you.

Cooter

3 sets of 8-10. usually 10-8-7

i do inclined dumbbells, inclined flies, flat bar
I can only speak for what has worked for me. I prefer 4 sets of 10,8,6,4 with each set progressively getting heavier. For reference my four sets look like this, 225, 255, 275, 305.

I also believe maxing every week can help but if you don't have a spot that can't happen.

I also am a believer that less is more. I only do flat and incline. That's it. Load it up as heavy as you can and get the hell out of there!

having a spotter or getting some forced reps is a good way to progress. not having to worry about going to failure on a lift will lift some of the nerves if you happen to attempt it. my guess is you could probably do a rep or two more if you had someone watching over you.

I can only speak for what has worked for me. I prefer 4 sets of 10,8,6,4 with each set progressively getting heavier. For reference my four sets look like this, 225, 255, 275, 305.

I also believe maxing every week can help but if you don't have a spot that can't happen.

I also am a believer that less is more. I only do flat and incline. That's it. Load it up as heavy as you can and get the hell out of there!

spotter would definitely help. need to get a buddy of mine to join up

whats better, going as low as possible or increasing weight?

I am a manager.

I have to be here from 8 am to 8 pm. I may take up to a two hour break, but I must work ten hours between those hours.
I get no overtime, as I get paid commission, but since my club is slow as hell there's not many people to sell to.
If I am not on track to make goal by week two, I must work 8 to noon on Saturday. I may miss goal one month. Should I miss it again, I am terminated.
I get one vacation day for every two and and half months of work. I must work a year to get a full week. That's not so big a deal, but calling out for a day leads to termination.
I have no benefits. No insurance. No 401k.
My hourly pay is less than ten dollars an hour.
Once I get switched to salary (if I stay that long, doesn't look like it) it will be comparable to now, except less if I work the extra Saturdays.

Not shitting on you in any way. If you love your job, keep it. But just the description is nuts. I think you can find a better position somewhere else.

Cooter

spotter would definitely help. need to get a buddy of mine to join up

whats better, going as low as possible or increasing weight?
You can't ask anyone there to spot you?

What do you mean by going as low as possible? A little confused. I would go as heavy as you can while still being able to get 4 reps.

cryptic

3 sets of 8-10. usually 10-8-7

i do inclined dumbbells, inclined flies, flat bar

According to this:http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

...flat and decline bench are all you need for chest development. Perhaps try just those two for a period of weeks/months before returning to flat if that's your main focus.
Supplemental exercises for the back such as weighted pullups have seemingly helped a lot of people too and narrow underhand pulldown to the sternum with the back slightly leaned back(no movement) is an alternative if you don't want to buy a dip belt for pullups.

This video really helped me with my form and getting my legs involved, check it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

Finally, every now and again you have to take a long break, and remember to eat as you normally would:http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/02/chronic-resistance-training-reduces.html.
If you stress yourself at all during weight training this study purports your body begins to have difficulty sending the signal to build the muscles you train and a break can alleviate that.

You can't ask anyone there to spot you?

What do you mean by going as low as possible? A little confused. I would go as heavy as you can while still being able to get 4 reps.

should have worded it better. when doing the bar bench press, how low do you bring the bar before lifting back up. i see different variations at my gym. i see some people hit their chest and others bend their elbows 90 degrees. i usually bring the bar down to about 3-4 inches above my chest

should have worded it better. when doing the bar bench press, how low do you bring the bar before lifting back up. i see different variations at my gym. i see some people hit their chest and others bend their elbows 90 degrees. i usually bring the bar down to about 3-4 inches above my chest

Unless they are doing a guillotine press, your elbows should not be at 90 degrees. Great way to fuck up your shoulders.

I'm a fan of a full ROM so all the way down to the chest but if you stop a few inches, I personally think that is okay. Others don't see it the same way.

Cooter

Oh. Gotcha. Yeah, go down to your chest. Don't bounce it off or anything but I would aim for going all the way down.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Do you mix with water or milk? I use milk and a hand blender, so all mine ever tastes like is a bad milkshake.

I haven't tried the Twinlabs one in years .. I do the Muscletech Premium they sell at Sam's Club.

Whole milk, sometimes adding one or all of: oats, flax seed meal, peanut butter, occasionally ice cream.

Noema

In my opinion the most important lower body assistance exercise are Romanian Deadlifts.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Are lifting weights and training bodyweight mutually exclusive? I did dips today after bench, dumbell press, and flys, but I dunno if that's counterintuitive...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
On my way to see what my gym looks like at midnight. Might have the whole place to myself!

Sounds like outside of the drive though you like the job which is actually the most important part and bro you have to go as a COG. You could pull that off perfectly.

Yeah, I love it. It's definitely not for everyone, or even "most" people, but for me it's a great job/career (so far).

As for the COG thing, maybe not if I keep shrinking! Plus I need to find a good quality costume. If I ever "dress up" again, I'm going to get a good quality costume.

Are lifting weights and training bodyweight mutually exclusive? I did dips today after bench, dumbell press, and flys, but I dunno if that's counterintuitive...

No.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend thumbless (or suicide grip) to anyone new.

I use suicide grip for incline bench (when I do it) and OHP, but then I'm not "new."

abuC

Nope, you did mostly push movements you're good.

I do dips and pullups everyday outside of my routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom