• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going shopping for whey protein tomorrow. What's your favorites? Brand and flava - and did it break the bank? or not...

Also post horror proteins so I can avoid. Thanks!

I like Isopure natural. It's unflavored and is as pure as it gets. Great in oatmeal. Tad expensive though.

ACE 1991

Damn, I just weighed myself for the first time in a few months. I started lifting December 18 and since then have gone from 140lbs to around 174lbs... I'm certainly bigger than before, but in both good and fatty ways. I really want to shed some of this fat but I don't want to sacrifice muscle gain. *sigh* decisions...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
In case I do find myself in a gym, I think I'll give those beginning routines in the OP a try. Going back to one of my original questions, does it really matter the order in which you do the sets? Should I mix up the exercises or do all sets of a specific exercise and then move on to a different exercise?

Complete all prescribed sets of one lift before moving on to the next. It looks short/easy, but it's meant to be. As you'll add weight each time you train, it quickly gets harder and your rest times will increase.

despire

I have no idea what my lifts are, because I don't lift (don't really have access to weights). A few months ago at a friend's house, I was able to manage 150 lb dead lifts without much trouble. I have no idea what my limit would be, though. I can do pull-ups and chin-ups using my body weight pretty easily, too.

Anyway, I would definitely not mind gaining muscle, but my main desire right now is to drop in body fat. If doing something like carb back loading and going to the gym is the best way to do that, then I'm definitely interested. Reading through Carb Nite it looks like it's a solid way to lose body fat almost exclusively (not sacrifice muscle tissue). I think I'm going to give it a go for a little while and see where it takes me.

Carb Nite is a good way to lose fat but AFAIK so is CBL is you are fatt(er) or beginner in the gym. I think the best way for you would be to get to a real gym and start doing the OP routine and couple that with either CN or CBL. Perhaps CN for a few weeks and then transition to CBL. Because you are a beginner you should be able to increase muscle mass and lose fat simultaneously pretty easily anyway. You would also look better in the end when you lean out. As a beginner you might even increase muscle mass on CN but CBL is probably the safest bet.

Also CBL is out of the picture if you don't get your ass in the gym because heavy resistance training is what makes it work.

dejay

Banned
Online's probably your only shot unless there's a speciality store in your area. Generally, none of the mainstream outlets carry lifting shoes. I asked a guy in a Rebel a few months back, the convo went like this:

"Hey, do you stock any weightlifting shoes?"
"Shoes? Nah."
I can only assume he meant that they stocked weightlifting gumboots, thongs and flippers, but not shoes.

I actually expected it so I looked around for something that could be a close second and found some New Balance Minimus shoes. I bought them on impulse and doing a quick search now it seems that some people at least rate them for weight training.

I'll find out tomorrow morning I guess. They are a bit flashy, which I'm not a fan of.

Online's probably your only shot unless there's a speciality store in your area. Generally, none of the mainstream outlets carry lifting shoes. I asked a guy in a Rebel a few months back, the convo went like this:

"Hey, do you stock any weightlifting shoes?"
"Shoes? Nah."
I can only assume he meant that they stocked weightlifting gumboots, thongs and flippers, but not shoes.

lol

I think I'll check my local rebel, see if they have any weightlifting slippers. Keep my feet nice and warm while I lift.

Tash

So question:

I started to lift quite heavier than I am used to and I am in general not used to Deadlifts or bench presses.

I was so incredibly sore I couldn't even properly stretch my legs and arms the day after. Is it ok to take some ibuprofen and push through or should I take a rest day?

Also, I am used to being quite sore..competitive fast pitch softball, skiing and tennis when I was younger and I am used to tough programs. So it's definitely not the "normal" type of soreness I know from before.
I can tell nothing is injured though..just my muscles really not being used to do the weight/exercise combo since I used to do higher reps with lower weights before.

dejay

Banned
So question:

I started to lift quite heavier than I am used to and I am in general not used to Deadlifts or bench presses.

I was so incredibly sore I couldn't even properly stretch my legs and arms the day after. Is it ok to take some ibuprofen and push through or should I take a rest day?

Also, I am used to being quite sore..competitive fast pitch softball, skiing and tennis when I was younger and I am used to tough programs. So it's definitely not the "normal" type of soreness I know from before.
I can tell nothing is injured though..just my muscles really not being used to do the weight/exercise combo since I used to do higher reps with lower weights before.

When I got back into this game I had doms (delayed onset muscle soreness) in my quads that was quite pronounced. I had planned to exercise two days afterwards but it took me four days instead. I've worked through doms before in my arms and chest and it actually felt better afterwards and didn't really affect recovery that much, but the ones in my quads were something else. Ibuprofen or aspirin didn't do squat for me.

In short, do as you feel. Even a light routine may be beneficial but if it's going to affect your form, wait.

Tash when you're talking about pushing through it vs taking a rest day, what would you be doing on the day after doing deadlifts/bench press if you didn't rest?

Once you get used to lower reps with higher weights the DOMS will lessen.

Tash

I am following a special schedule and was only on day 4 (with 7 being a proper rest day).
The plan is alternating a lot and targeting upper and lower body on different days (as it should).

I just pushed super hard with weights (25kg deadlifts are harsh for me, being a girl AND not used to properly lift I want to finally get away from the whole "lean muscle high reps crap").

So I picked weights that were hard to get to 8 reps in a set.
I wasn't supposed to take a rest day yesterday (it's a more cardio/HITT focused day) but I was so sore I could seriously hardly walk up and down stairs -.-

I am still sore today but I took some ibuprofen now and will do the cardio day anyway. I want to keep on schedule as much as I can so I don't lose motivation.

kylej

Banned
I am following a special schedule and was only on day 4 (with 7 being a proper rest day).
The plan is alternating a lot and targeting upper and lower body on different days (as it should).

I just pushed super hard with weights (25kg deadlifts are harsh for me, being a girl AND not used to properly lift I want to finally get away from the whole "lean muscle high reps crap").

So I picked weights that were hard to get to 8 reps in a set.
I wasn't supposed to take a rest day yesterday (it's a more cardio/HITT focused day) but I was so sore I could seriously hardly walk up and down stairs -.-

Don't do special unique programs where you grab random weights that you think will be hard to lift. Get on a proper progressive goal-oriented program like Starting Strength, 531, etc. If you're doing 6 days in a row of heavy compound lifts with lots of upper/lower body rotating, you're going to burn yourself out and/or get injured. Remember, it's counter-intuitive, but your muscle grows when it's recovering, not from relentlessly beating it up.

Szu

Bruce your a freakin beast. And you actually encouraged me to take some pics ;)

http://i.minus.com/iYvrmlvXz37RE.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibhmS2WYh1Oxal.jpg

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 173lbs

Things I want to work on:
-Gain more weight (God its hard)
-BIGGER shoulders
-Bigger chest

Input is welcome! Just dont be too harsh.

You're another ripped bastard. Great work, Chef. I wish I would get that lean.
tumblr_lxk88alD0l1r7w8cbo1_500.gif

Tash

Don't do special unique programs where you grab random weights that you think will be hard to lift. Get on a proper progressive goal-oriented program like Starting Strength, 531, etc. If you're doing 6 days in a row of heavy compound lifts with lots of upper/lower body rotating, you're going to burn yourself out and/or get injured. Remember, it's counter-intuitive, but your muscle grows when it's recovering, not from relentlessly beating it up.

Well I picked weights that make it hard but doable to get to 8 reps. Then I alternate exercises in 8, 8/8 and 8/8/8.

Then I switch to sets of 16 with lower weights and do the same.

I will then add around 2kg each week to that. Is that too harsh?

CrankyJay

Banned
Ate like an idiot all week and still lost a pound doing Lean Gains and no working out. Week 1 of 2 resting is over. 1 more week then I get back clean and back to the gym.

Starting to think my piriformis pain is related to me always carrying my baby on the same shoulder so I put extra weight on the opposite leg. Same when carrying her in her car seat. Same side.

Hop on over to the BBQ thread for pics of my eats. If you dare!

To be fair tho I have been doing housework and yard work like crazy.

Ate like an idiot all week and still lost a pound doing Lean Gains and no working out. Week 1 of 2 resting is over. 1 more week then I get back clean and back to the gym.

Starting to think my piriformis pain is related to me always carrying my baby on the same shoulder so I put extra weight on the opposite leg. Same when carrying her in her car seat. Same side.

Should probably make another baby to even the weight out. Simplest solution.

Tash

Must be awesome to have the metabolism of a 20 year old! :p

kylej

Banned
Well I picked weights that make it hard but doable to get to 8 reps. Then I alternate exercises in 8, 8/8 and 8/8/8.

Then I switch to sets of 16 with lower weights and do the same.

I will then add around 2kg each week to that. Is that too harsh?

Not too harsh, it's good you're adding weight each week. Daily volume is personal preference, if you like it then go for it, just make sure you're really focusing on those main lifts at the start of your day. Basically, you shouldn't save anything on the big compound movements solely because you want to have the energy to hit 8 reps later in the day on lat raises or pushdowns or other accessory work.

I also think - in general - that 6 days a week of lifting will burn you out, 4 keeps my head straight, but again that's up to you to see what works.

I would highly recommend getting on a program with proven track records (I wish I did this starting out, I wasted a lot of time in the gym...) rather than trying to assemble one with good ideas from various places, but again that's up to you. Once you get past the early noob gains stage, it can be very helpful to have a proper template to follow each week.

Tash

Not too harsh, it's good you're adding weight each week. Daily volume is personal preference, if you like it then go for it, just make sure you're really focusing on those main lifts at the start of your day. Basically, you shouldn't save anything on the big compound movements solely because you want to have the energy to hit 8 reps later in the day on lat raises or pushdowns or other accessory work.

I also think - in general - that 6 days a week of lifting will burn you out, 4 keeps my head straight, but again that's up to you to see what works.

I would highly recommend getting on a program with proven track records (I wish I did this starting out, I wasted a lot of time in the gym...) rather than trying to assemble one with good ideas from various places, but again that's up to you. Once you get past the early noob gains stage, it can be very helpful to have a proper template to follow each week.

It's actually strength every other day and focusing on the biggest muscle groups (or workouts that work the most muscles together).

I am actually following a program by Natalie Jill who is a fitness model. It's one of the only ones I could find which really explains how lifting heavy is good for women. It's a 12 weeks program I can follow including carb cycling and other stuff explained.

I tried intermittent fasting but my problem is that I need to rank up the calories in general. I am eating way too little..

Monocle

A day in the life of Kai Greene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pjY1mDAa8&list=WLC7BA8CEF80C032FE

not sure if this was ever posted.
Thanks for posting this. The only thing I'd known about Kai Greene before was that I'd seen him on a magazine cover and quite honestly I was repulsed by his physique. I never would have guessed he's such a thoughtful, quietly dedicated guy. And so articulate about his personal outlook. I feel like I can learn a lot from his attitude.

So I am 6'3-6'4 weighing 255lbs.

Is it possible to lose weight while adding muscle at the same time by lifting or should I just do cardio first, lose the excess weight and then start lifting?

I walk around 30 minutes per day on average for my day to day activities.

EDIT: I really want to trim my waist and lose the belly fat.

It's actually strength every other day and focusing on the biggest muscle groups (or workouts that work the most muscles together).

I am actually following a program by Natalie Jill who is a fitness model. It's one of the only ones I could find which really explains how lifting heavy is good for women. It's a 12 weeks program I can follow including carb cycling and other stuff explained.

I tried intermittent fasting but my problem is that I need to rank up the calories in general. I am eating way too little..

I don't look anything like many of the guys in this thread but even I know that 12 weeks is nothing when it comes to changing your body. I'll echo the suggestions to switch to a more long term approach like something listed in the OP(SS, /5/3/1).

Is it possible to lose weight while adding muscle at the same time by lifting or should I just do cardio first, lose the excess weight and then start lifting?

All of this is talked about in the OP.

1) It's possible if you are a newb to lifting, but don't expect much.
2) Fat loss is accomplished in the kitchen, you can't spot reduce fat through certain exercises.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

If you want to lose excess weight before starting lifting, don't do cardio - just change your diet. Keto diet sounds like it would be best if the most activity you get is 30 mins of walking - so it'll be a good fit. Assuming you can handle keto, some people don't get along with it too well.

Do Keto for like 3 months and see where you are with that. Then you should be able to figure out if you're either content with that, or want to start gaining.

I started my lifting late in my fat loss journey, I wish I had started them near the same time (maybe give yourself a week or two to adjust to a new diet).

grumble

You absolutely can lose fat and gain muscle, provided you're a novice which you are. Heavy lifting, a dash of cardio and eating either the same amout or somewhat less food will do it, with lots of protein. Once you've stopped being a newbie after a couple of months, you'll find that strength gains will slow when you're dropping pounds. Keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions ask.

grumble

Keep us posted on your progress! You might fid some useful information in the op too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
why not combine diet and cardio?

You make more sense than me. It's early and I let my cario-hate get the best of me.

I keep forgetting this is fit-gaf and not muscle-gaf. Well, not ENTIRELY massels-gaf

Tash

why not combine diet and cardio?

a bit of cardio never hurts, specally HIT imo but there is just nothing more fat burning then adding muscle mass :)
Right?

Also, there is nothing more boring then hours of running or cycling..even my spotify playlist can't keep me from dying of boredom..

SeanR1221

Oh yeah I ate like absolute shit this weekend. Foods included tons of Chinese, Taco Bell, a big breakfast hoagie stuffed with bacon eggs and cheese wiz and 20 wings.

Uhh. Went overboard. Still only ate in 8 hour time frames. Oh well. Back to it today.

First meal will be 6 eggs, 3 cups spinach and 8oz of chicken.

sphinx

the piano man
You make more sense than me. It's early and I let my cario-hate get the best of me.

hey don't worry man, :D I just thought that a mix of diet and cardio speeds things up.

I admit, I hate dieting with a passion, I'd rather run 5, 10, 20 whatever miles or do whatever physical activity needed to burn anything rather than plan my meals counting the beans, the broccolis and the ounces a piece of fish weights, I hated life when I was into that stuff...

but I am doing wrong.... I should learn how to eat, that's a weak point of mine.

so yeah, strict diet with clear goals in mind and some movement would be my suggestion.

a bit of cardio never hurts, specally HIT imo but there is just nothing more fat burning then adding muscle mass :)
Right?

Also, there is nothing more boring then hours of running or cycling..even my spotify playlist can't keep me from dying of boredom..

yep, an hour long cardio session isn't for everyone :) thank heaven I do enjoy running around listening to my playlist, the same songs every day, it's like a routine. I think the only song I have listened every cardio/workout day since I bought the MP3 player a year ago is Michael Jackson's Bad. Something about that song gets me pumping every single time, no matter what.

I've been lifting for since January but I haven't been able to keep up with the diet.

I know I have to limit myself and will start doing things that have worked for me again for a month and see how it goes.

Will keep you guys posted and thanks for the suggestions.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh yeah I ate like absolute shit this weekend. Foods included tons of Chinese, Taco Bell, a big breakfast hoagie stuffed with bacon eggs and cheese wiz and 20 wings.

Uhh. Went overboard. Still only ate in 8 hour time frames. Oh well. Back to it today.

First meal will be 6 eggs, 3 cups spinach and 8oz of chicken.

I ate nothing but cheeseburgers, hotdogs, bbq chicken, ice cream, beer and margaritas all weekend. Lost a pound. =P

Going clean again soon.

Tash

yep, an hour long cardio session isn't for everyone :) thank heaven I do enjoy running around listening to my playlist, the same songs every day, it's like a routine. I think the only song I have listened every cardio/workout day since I bought the MP3 player a year ago is Michael Jackson's Bad. Something about that song gets me pumping every single time, no matter what.

I need hardcore stuff to workout or do cardio to:
I like Volbeat, Drowning Pool, Korn, Rage against the Machine, Papa Roach and Disturbed.
My favorite is "Hungry" by Rob Bailey & The Hustle Standard.

Actually, as silly as that might sound, I loved doing longer cardio to OST of Mass Effect for some reason.

I also bought some Bose workout headphones. Way pricey but the sound is not only amazing, it's 100% noise cancelling and the only ones I found so far which a) stay put even during Plyo stuff or running and b) don't hurt at all.

CrankyJay

Banned
I like Volbeat, Drowning Pool, Korn, Rage against the Machine, Papa Roach and Disturbed.

Actually, as silly as that might sound, I loved doing longer cardio to OST of Mass Effect for some reason.

I've been listening to Atreyu and Slipknot at the gym...

Duality and Before I Forget I save for the heaviest lifts...songs totally get me pumped.

Before I Forget:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_09wFxoaeQ

Duality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ak5PoIwng

Started running on saturday. My legs are dying right now, but hey, that's okay. Will do a second run tomorrow and then one on thursday and saturday once more. Maybe that's too much but it's nice to see what my speed should be.

I think it's hurting so bad because I ran too quickly. I had a avg. of 9km/h and I did some walking (not even fast walking) three times in my scheme. Top speed was around 13km/h or something and that was what I ran when I wasn't walking so I couldn't keep that going for so long. Slow jogging just feels so weeeird.

Anyway, I'm also doing pushups and situps every other day and that is going fine (pushups making my arms sour for half a day or so but what gives).

Tips on the running?

sphinx

the piano man

OST of Xenoblade for long cardio sessions for me :)

Listening to Guar Plain while running with a clear sunny sky and fresh air at 11:00 AM, people having a good time, animals around me, I know this is very cheesy but I really feel I am taking part in a great adventure.

By far my favorite piece for jogging, instrumental or otherwise.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm trying to be more social and enjoy life. If my friends want to go out for wings, I'm getting wings you know?

Like I said tho, I've been sticking to 12 to 8 like a hawk...eat until I'm full at 12, and that usually carries me to 5 or 6, then eat until I'm full again and I'm done.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's finally happened, my naturally pretty athletic body has started to slow down. A spare tire and everything, gained nearly 20lbs over the last year.

Working out isn't really something I've done very often - did it for a few months in my teens (with ridiculously awesome results) and a touch in my early twenties. But I've decided to put some real effort behind it.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

For more info:

Height: 6'
Weight: 188lb
goal: basically, abs - maybe a touch of muscle.
Current sched: running 3 times a week, daily pushups.
equip: foam roller

Comments:

I don't really have a goal weight, I just wanna look better, regardless of the weight. I don't want to bulk up too much or anything, but I feel like I could really use a bit of muscle gain.

I've started working out by running. I feel like this will be the easiest part of a workout regiment for me, because running is just... something I do. I do it well, without trying. So far I've been going on runs for about 20min with the girlfriend, so I haven't had an opportunity to push myself too hard, but my apps tell me I run about 2.5km in 20 minutes. It's not really accurate since I usually do the first k and a 1/2 with her running really slow, then I'll do a couple of half k sprints. I've signed up for a few 5ks this summer to help with goals, and I aim to do well in them.

I'm also going to try daily pushups. Something simple I can do throughout the day to get some results. Unfortunately, because I live in an apartment I don't think I can do any p90x, I remember trying to do some skip rope a few months ago and I kind of woke up the downstairs neighbors newborn. They were nice about, so I am really trying not to be too loud while the kid is still in the cradle.

Finally, diet I know is just as important as working out, so I am trying to improve it a bit with little things here and there. Like if I have to have a pop, I'll go diet, but generally I'm trying to consume more water and get my pallette back to appreciating it. I find that water is much more wanted after runs, so maybe that will just come easier the more I work out.

If you can't already tell, I don't have the opportunity just yet for gym visits. I will, hopefully soon, but until then I really just want to focus on getting into the 'mindset' of fitness and healthy eating. Doing little things to improve my condition as well as getting comfortable with fitness being a part of my daily life.

I'm thinking about getting a chinup bar for the apartment, and sort of do a mashup of pushups/chinups daily. I also have a foam roller which will hopefully help me with a bit of my hyperlordosis. However, does Fitness-GAF have any recommendations for things I could do to augment my current setup? Little things I could do to either really get me into the mindset of working out, or that might really help with me getting some gains? This could be anything from the physical, to diet to something even psychological - I just really wanna do this right.

andycapps

Tash

Unfortunately, because I live in an apartment I don't think I can do any p90x, I remember trying to do some skip rope a few months ago and I kind of woke up the downstairs neighbors newborn. They were nice about, so I am really trying not to be too loud while the kid is still in the cradle.

What about a Plyo Mat for jumping stuff? It will damp the noise a lot.

Jack_AG

Banned
Woot! Just found my bedtime shake replacement! 8oz plain Chobani Greek Yogurt with a teaspoon of crushed walnuts and dip the teaspoon in honey once just to add the slightest sweetness without actually using a measurable amount plus a tall glass of 2% right before bed... 30g of glorious protein! Now I can stick with just 1 protein shake per day direct after workout and get the rest of my daily nutrients from food.

30g sounds like a great ballpark for bed and the Yogurt tastes so damn good!

CrankyJay

Banned
If you like heavy stuff you should try some Blood for Blood or even Hatebreed. For me it's usually something like that or some hip hop.

I'll post some links here in a sec.

Yeah I generally like stuff with heavy drums and guitar...industrial sounding type shit seems to go well with lifting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to say I lift to only the angriest, darkest, most evil shit - because I often do. Suicide Commando has been wonderful for turning me into a machine when I lift.

But truth be told, I can't get it done without my precious Hall & Oates. Best singer-songwriters of all time? Maybe...maybe. So good.

When it's time to shut my mind off and get methodical:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ilc_RmkmM

When I need some inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yG0QE9ce3U

And when I want to feel like I'm doing good shit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5pRLZkJdP8

andycapps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom