• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_AG

Banned
Space station or Venice classical - shoutcast. I like to regulate my heart rate ;). Slow and steady for me to keep me focused.

grumble

It's finally happened, my naturally pretty athletic body has started to slow down. A spare tire and everything, gained nearly 20lbs over the last year.

Working out isn't really something I've done very often - did it for a few months in my teens (with ridiculously awesome results) and a touch in my early twenties. But I've decided to put some real effort behind it.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

For more info:

Height: 6'
Weight: 188lb

I don't really have a goal weight, I just wanna look better, regardless of the weight. I don't want to bulk up too much or anything, but I feel like I could really use a bit of muscle gain.

I've started working out by running. I feel like this will be the easiest part of a workout regiment for me, because running is just... something I do. I do it well, without trying. So far I've been going on runs for about 20min with the girlfriend, so I haven't had an opportunity to push myself too hard, but my apps tell me I run about 2.5km in 20 minutes. It's not really accurate since I usually do the first k and a 1/2 with her running really slow, then I'll do a couple of half k sprints. I've signed up for a few 5ks this summer to help with goals, and I aim to do well in them.

I'm also going to try daily pushups. Something simple I can do throughout the day to get some results. Unfortunately, because I live in an apartment I don't think I can do any p90x, I remember trying to do some skip rope a few months ago and I kind of woke up the downstairs neighbors newborn. They were nice about, so I am really trying not to be too loud while the kid is still in the cradle.

Finally, diet I know is just as important as working out, so I am trying to improve it a bit with little things here and there. Like if I have to have a pop, I'll go diet, but generally I'm trying to consume more water and get my pallette back to appreciating it. I find that water is much more wanted after runs, so maybe that will just come easier the more I work out.

If you can't already tell, I don't have the opportunity just yet for gym visits. I will, hopefully soon, but until then I really just want to focus on getting into the 'mindset' of fitness and healthy eating. Doing little things to improve my condition as well as getting comfortable with fitness being a part of my daily life.

I'm thinking about getting a chinup bar for the apartment, and sort of do a mashup of pushups/chinups daily. I also have a foam roller which will hopefully help me with a bit of my hyperlordosis. However, does Fitness-GAF have any recommendations for things I could do to augment my current setup? Little things I could do to either really get me into the mindset of working out, or that might really help with me getting some gains? This could be anything from the physical, to diet to something even psychological - I just really wanna do this right.

First off, congrats on deciding to make a positive change.

I'd recommend you read the OP as a good starting point, as it's a good knowledge resource.

Aside from that, it looks to me like your goals are to lose fat, look better, be able to run and put on some muscle. That is totally achievable. I'd recommend you look into doing weighted movements for the muscle stuff, as it's a lot more effective, so a gym would be a good choice. Something like this would be a good low-commitment starting point to get you in the groove:

Monday:

3x5 squats
3x5 bench
3xfailure chinups
3xfailure dips

Thursday:

3x5 deadlift
3x5 overhead press
3xfailure pullups
3x8 curls

Every time you go to the gym, try to lift a couple of pounds more than you did last time, so squats week one would be 135, and week 2 would be 140 pounds, etc. For the chins and pullups, do at least one more rep each time you go even if you have to throw in another set at the end, and the curls would be volume increase then drop volume and add a bit of weight.

For someone who wants to lose a bit of weight and focus a bit more on cardio this is pretty low-maintenance and lets you hit the cardio pretty hard. Be careful to keep your form as good as possible.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
First off, congrats on deciding to make a positive change.

I'd recommend you read the OP as a good starting point, as it's a good knowledge resource.

Aside from that, it looks to me like your goals are to lose fat, look better, be able to run and put on some muscle. That is totally achievable. I'd recommend you look into doing weighted movements for the muscle stuff, as it's a lot more effective, so a gym would be a good choice. Something like this would be a good low-commitment starting point to get you in the groove:

Monday:

3x5 squats
3x5 bench
3xfailure chinups
3xfailure dips

Thursday:

3x5 deadlift
3x5 overhead press
3xfailure pullups
3x8 curls

Every time you go to the gym, try to lift a couple of pounds more than you did last time, so squats week one would be 135, and week 2 would be 140 pounds, etc. For the chins and pullups, do at least one more rep each time you go even if you have to throw in another set at the end, and the curls would be volume increase then drop volume and add a bit of weight.

For someone who wants to lose a bit of weight and focus a bit more on cardio this is pretty low-maintenance and lets you hit the cardio pretty hard. Be careful to keep your form as good as possible.

Thanks for the recommendation! Yeah, I really only skimmed the op and didn't realize it spanned multiple posts, read it good and proper now.

I didn't realize I could go to the gym twice a week and see gains, I should actually be able to start that next week. My biggest issue with gyms was always having no direction - so I appreciate this post a lot.

Do you think I should bother with a chin up bar for the home? I figure if my gym regiment has pullups, probably not.

grumble

Thanks for the recommendation! Yeah, I really only skimmed the op and didn't realize it spanned multiple posts, read it good and proper now.

I didn't realize I could go to the gym twice a week and see gains, I should actually be able to start that next week. My biggest issue with gyms was always having no direction - so I appreciate this post a lot.

Do you think I should bother with a chin up bar for the home? I figure if my gym regiment has pullups, probably not.

Well longer term you'd probably want to go three times a week (or even more depending on the program) if you can make it work, but I've found that it's better to start off with something a little more manageable instead of going from 0-60 immediately. I've done 2x/week for extended periods as have many of my friends, and it absolutely does provide results. If you do that 2x/week program for a few months consistently you'll be amazed at the difference. Over time I've tweaked my routine a bit to serve my needs better but this is a great baseline that doesn't take up too much time and is easy to recover from as a novice so you won't kill your runs.

As for the home pullup bar, you don't need one but I have one and love it. I'd take a day off pullups before you do them as part of Monday/Thursday, but I've found that high frequency worked great for me (I'd do a set periodically throughout the day). Keep us posted on your progress!

Demon Ice

Banned
Anybody else lift to some good ol' fashioned fast and angry death metal? Been lifting to Whitechapel and Hour of Penance lately. Before that it was Lamb of God and Black Dahlia Murder. But BDM's not really a lifting band, too intricate. Whitechapel is just angry, it's awesome.

Damn, I just weighed myself for the first time in a few months. I started lifting December 18 and since then have gone from 140lbs to around 174lbs... I'm certainly bigger than before, but in both good and fatty ways. I really want to shed some of this fat but I don't want to sacrifice muscle gain. *sigh* decisions...

How tall are you? Just try to maintain your weight.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Good Monday for me. Picked up my free 6 boxes of Quest bars from the guy at the gym I mentioned last week. No cookie dough or PBs but I got a cinnamon roll, banana nut, and cheesecake! :D

MjFrancis

TheChef and BruceLeeRoy - you guys are looking good. Keep working hard and never settle.

Anybody else lift to some good ol' fashioned fast and angry death metal?
I don't listen to death metal, but the three albums that get regular rotation for my training music are Fear Factory - Archetype, Meshuggah - obZen and Ego Fall - Inner M. I never explored the subgenre game of metal so I don't know where one would categorize these bands, but for a couple months I've played these albums more or less on a weekly basis.

Petrie

Banned
Good Monday for me. Picked up my free 6 boxes of Quest bars from the guy at the gym I mentioned last week. No cookie dough or PBs but I got a cinnamon roll, banana nut, and cheesecake! :D

I somehow missed this, how did you get free boxes? I want free Quest bars!

Petrie

Banned
A guy at his gym works for them. I wish I could work for them on the side.

I feel like I do work for them! Tell this guy all the sales I've been getting him, and give him my address to send me PB Cups!

Seriously though, I am a great salesman/spokesperson, get me in!

Demon Ice

Banned
TheChef and BruceLeeRoy - you guys are looking good. Keep working hard and never settle.

I don't listen to death metal, but the three albums that get regular rotation for my training music are Fear Factory - Archetype, Meshuggah - obZen and Ego Fall - Inner M. I never explored the subgenre game of metal so I don't know where one would categorize these bands, but for a couple months I've played these albums more or less on a weekly basis.

FF I've heard called any number of subgenres ranging from thrash to death to industrial, Meshuggah I'd say is tech/prog. Both killer bands. Not familiar with Ego Fall.

MjFrancis

FF I've heard called any number of subgenres ranging from thrash to death to industrial, Meshuggah I'd say is tech/prog. Both killer bands. Not familiar with Ego Fall.
A review I just looked up for Ego Fall refers to them as either Death Metal or Folk Metal. They are a Chinese metal band with one vocalist that does Mongolian throat singing. I believe they use other folk instrumentation, too.

All I know is they accompany deadlift PR's much to my satisfaction.

So yes, I suppose I do listen to death metal.

Tash

It's not death metal or super hard but it's what I currently love working out to (minus ME OST which is on a different playlist)

Lifting and Running

Oh also, while the Quest Bars have amazing nutrition I really do not like them :/
But the fact that they are hard to get here in Europe doesn't help.

Szu

As promised, here are my leg pics. As I mentioned, they're nothing special.

8n6G5Pp.jpg

GV0b8XA.jpg

w6G5nCJ.jpg

andycapps

It was alright...definitely probably the best flavor of the bunch...

My wife didn't like them either... What helps is looking at the ingredients and the nutrition info, and trying to figure out how they're able to make it taste somewhat good while being that good for you. That's why they're awesome. They're a passable sweet tooth thing and they're good for you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Complete all prescribed sets of one lift before moving on to the next. It looks short/easy, but it's meant to be. As you'll add weight each time you train, it quickly gets harder and your rest times will increase.

Great! Thanks for the reply.

Carb Nite is a good way to lose fat but AFAIK so is CBL is you are fatt(er) or beginner in the gym. I think the best way for you would be to get to a real gym and start doing the OP routine and couple that with either CN or CBL. Perhaps CN for a few weeks and then transition to CBL. Because you are a beginner you should be able to increase muscle mass and lose fat simultaneously pretty easily anyway. You would also look better in the end when you lean out. As a beginner you might even increase muscle mass on CN but CBL is probably the safest bet.

Also CBL is out of the picture if you don't get your ass in the gym because heavy resistance training is what makes it work.

I think I'm going to scope out some local gyms and see what will work best. I'll probably start by incorporating the beginner's workout once a week and begin the carb night immediately after I leave the gym.

moocow

So I got appendicitis. Surgery is hopefully today. Hello month off from gym and increased chance of hernia for the rest of my life. This is really gonna set me back isn't it?

JonCha

Height: 150cm/6ft 1"
Weight: 71kg/11.1 stone/154.4lbs
Goal: 80kg

Current Training Schedule:

Walking five minues on treadmill
Lower back machine: 3 x 12
Squats with no weight: 3 x 20
Leg extensions: 3 x 12
Wide-bar pull down: 3 x 12
Machine bench press: 2 x 15
Pec machine: 2 x 12
Bike: 8 minutes

Current Training Equipment Available: Everything. Literally.

Comments:

When squatting I hold on to the bar, which is in a fixed position and then squat.

I started the gym six weeks ago and started using the personal trainer who's a competing and multi-competition winning bodybuilder; I figured I had no idea what I'm doing so it's worth by £5 weekly every three weeks. We're changing routines every three weeks, except for this week which runs for four, as he was competing on Saturday last week.

I've got two worries: one I don't know what kind of gains I should be expecting in six weeks. I keep reading about "noob gains" and therefore expected to, at least, gain a bit of weight - I started the gym at 11 stone/154lbs. My PT said to eat four meals a day as he only wants me to gain a pound a month, so I've been eating this on weekdays consistently:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast
Up to and including lunch: two bananas, 100g of dry roasted nuts, a snickers, and two turkey and salad sandwiches on brown bread
Dinner: I still live at home so it's whatever's going - this can be anything from a stir fry to homemade (and healthy) burgers
Supper: Weetabix and one scoop of protein power with milk

In weekends I'll add a couple of bacon sandwiches to that.

As of this week I've been aiming for five meals a day because I didn't see any gains over the six weeks and was getting a bit frustrated. We''re not going for bulk but for shape (plus we don't want to add any more weight to my waist).

Basically I would like to know two things if possible: whether I should be seeing noticeable gains now and how I can improve my diet. Thinking of meals is really, really hard even though I know what I can and can't eat.

Szu

So I got appendicitis. Surgery is hopefully today. Hello month off from gym and increased chance of hernia for the rest of my life. This is really gonna set me back isn't it?

If it's month or so, I don't think it will set you back too much. As for the hernia issue, you'll just have to adjust it to your lifestyle.

Hang in there!

grumble

I've had a number of surgeries while I've been lifting weights. In all cases, you're off for a bit, you come back and take it easy then you ramp back up to normal. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? The gains come back pretty quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Not sure if you can do this with appendicitis, but can you ask the surgeon to put a mesh in to reinforce the abdominal wall? That's done for inguinal hernias and really helps.

Tash

Sorry to hear that :(
core work is probably going to be a bitch for a while but the surgery has improved a lot in the last years. Shouldn't set you back too far.
Not sure about the hernia..that's a sucker :s

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Updating my Spotify workout list. Real talk: Belinda Carlisle's "I Get Weak" gives me the energy for those final reps. No lie, that song is the bomb.

EDIT: Just realized the insane irony of that.

Petrie

Banned
Great! Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to scope out some local gyms and see what will work best. I'll probably start by incorporating the beginner's workout once a week and begin the carb night immediately after I leave the gym.

the beginner workout will not work properly going once a week, the linear progression requires you to go multiple times in order to see gains.

Tash

Updating my Spotify workout list. Real talk: Belinda Carlisle's "I Get Weak" gives me the energy for those final reps. No lie, that song is the bomb.

EDIT: Just realized the insane irony of that.

lol yeah...

As far as how many times to work-out. I am doing 6 days (alternating lifting and more cardio focused days) and the 7th is a rest day (or very light cardio/recovery stuff)

moocow

Thanks guys. They will try to do it laproscopic which should give me better recovery assuming nothing good wrong. I guess I'm going to have to tell my ego to cool it when I come back, because all I will want to do is lift heavy. The hernia thing will definitely be on my mind during workouts for a while.

share :)
Always on the lookout for good music to work-out to.

For warm-up something like this:
Kalmah- Hades

For Squats:
Kalmah - Time Takes Us All (This one is basically bull shark testosterone in audio form, use with caution)

For Bench:
Insomnium - Mortal Share

For those long breaks when you're gassed, and questioning whether you can go on:

Blind Guardian- Valkryies (About Valkyries choosing the slain vikings to go home to Valhalla, only if they proved themselves worthy in battle, so damn epic).

Cool Down:
Insomnium- Down with the Sun

Thanks Mj its hard to settle when you got this thread. So much talent.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present my epic cheat night:

First Sushi:

Dessert:

Started running on saturday. My legs are dying right now, but hey, that's okay. Will do a second run tomorrow and then one on thursday and saturday once more. Maybe that's too much but it's nice to see what my speed should be.

I think it's hurting so bad because I ran too quickly. I had a avg. of 9km/h and I did some walking (not even fast walking) three times in my scheme. Top speed was around 13km/h or something and that was what I ran when I wasn't walking so I couldn't keep that going for so long. Slow jogging just feels so weeeird.

Anyway, I'm also doing pushups and situps every other day and that is going fine (pushups making my arms sour for half a day or so but what gives).

Tips on the running?

The main early tip from me is to take it easy in the early going. Building up a good base for distance running takes time, and forcing it can lead to stuff like stress fractures. Just continue taking your time, especially in the early days (and if you are not training for a specific race or anything) and feel free to take off if you are too sore. Running while hurt can be especially bad as it usually messes with your form and can lead to secondary injuries.

My longer term advice is from Geoff Roes (ultra runner):

Be sure that you genuinely enjoy the running that you are doing. If it's not enjoyable it's not likely to be sustainable. Make the changes that you need to make to find more enjoyment in every run you go on.

Tash

Sushi! omg this pics are epic!
That's some healthy cheating too though..partially anyway :)

Death metal is a bit too rough for me for working out.
Rammstein is always good for a few workouts too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
the beginner workout will not work properly going once a week, the linear progression requires you to go multiple times in order to see gains.

I realize going just once a week is not optimal at all, but if that were the only option, what do you think would be a good routine?

Jack_AG

Banned
Hot damn they can't perform a laproscopic surgery? I had three small holes in my abdomen and was back to martial arts training in about two weeks. This was 14yrs ago. Is it too large? You're typing so I don't think it burst like my brother's.

You might need more than 4 weeks if they need to make a lengthy incision - your abs wont be in any condition for stress for quite a while. If its laproscopic then I would worry. You'll be back a hell of a lot faster than you think.

Hopefully it is just a quick surgery and you are done.

My appendix burst and I was walking around with it for 2 weeks. Got a massive scar and was bed ridden for a week. Recovery was a month or so from what I remember. Didn't do any training at the time. I'm sure whatever you lose you will gain back quickly. Better to be healthy and take your time then rush though it.

moocow

Hot damn they can't perform a laproscopic surgery? I had three small holes in my abdomen and was back to martial arts training in about two weeks. This was 14yrs ago. Is it too large? You're typing so I don't think it burst like my brother's.

You might need more than 4 weeks if they need to make a lengthy incision - your abs wont be in any condition for stress for quite a while. If its laproscopic then I would worry. You'll be back a hell of a lot faster than you think.

Thankfully I caught it early. Been at the hospital for almost 7 hours already hoping to get the surgery today. They will try laparoscopic but they told me I should still take that much time off and that it still increases odds of getting a hernia.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why you not make spotify lists, peoplez?

I live off of Spotify but the best way to share stuff is with youtube as everyone can hear it, and not everyone here's all linked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom