• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Anyone from London in this thread? Would love to train with some one at a pay as you go gym.

I know chittagong is, but might not be at a pay as you go gym.

Petrie

Banned
I realize going just once a week is not optimal at all, but if that were the only option, what do you think would be a good routine?

I'd find time in my schedule to make it more. Not trying to be a dick, but you really need more than once a week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd find time in my schedule to make it more. Not trying to be a dick, but you really need more than once a week.

Just to be sure I'm 100% clear here, you're saying it would be pretty much meaningless to have just one session of heavy training a week? This would be augmented by daily light training (a few rounds of pullups, pushups, squats, planks), although that would just be using my own body weight.

Cudder

I have a ton of suggestions for "Music for Gainz"...if you're into Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal.

Amon Amarth is my favourite band, I'm always listening to their first album while I lift.

Victorious March is just an epic fucking anthem-like song that makes me want to crush shit at the gym.

Oh, and also:

IMG_20130506_014708.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUARK

Taste's amazing microwaved. This and chocolate brownie are my favourites.

SeanR1221

Just to be sure I'm 100% clear here, you're saying it would be pretty much meaningless to have just one session of heavy training a week? This would be augmented by daily light training (a few rounds of pullups, pushups, squats, planks), although that would just be using my own body weight.

It would be very difficult to make any substantial gains, yes. On a beginner program like SS you are deadlifting, squatting, OHPing and benching a LOT. It's all you're doing, and moving up 5 pounds a week. How you'd cram that all into one session, especially when it gets pretty heavy (which will take a long time since you'd be training once a week) would be very inefficient.

Your a healthy eater guy, right? If someone said they were going to eat healthy 20% of the time, when they usually eat unhealthy 100% of the time, what would you say? Probably
Something similar, right? You'll have extremely slow results and its not ideal.

Tash

I don't think I ever tried the cookie dough ones..had some strawberry stuff and some vanilla iirc. They made me nauseous :/

Also, THIS is one of the reasons why "Hungy" is my fav workout motivation song

Tash

I live off of Spotify but the best way to share stuff is with youtube as everyone can hear it, and not everyone here's all linked up.

Do both then? :p

got my first sumo deadlift sets coming up tomorrow and pull-ups. I managed to do three unassisted pull-ups last year while I was working out..not sure if they have an option to do assisted ones in the gym..not sure what to look out for either in that regard..
Also, any pro tips for sumo squats? Was checking out some youtube stuff to get ready for them.

blackflag

GAF scored another one :p

I've only bought mine from GNC stores. Was told shipping could melt them.

Decline chest presses in a few hours! :p

I've ordered like 100 boxes online over the past few years. Never melted and I live in AZ but it is cheaper to just get them at GNC store if it's an option.

Ehh that's an exaggeration. Realistically probably 30 boxes.

Petrie

Banned

Your light training is essentially cardio. You need more than 1 day a week to see significant gains on such a program. I'm not saying not to do so if that's all you can do, but you're going to have problems finding a program tailored to that schedule, as it's very inefficient to work around.

Jack_AG

Banned
Thankfully I caught it early. Been at the hospital for almost 7 hours already hoping to get the surgery today. They will try laparoscopic but they told me I should still take that much time off and that it still increases odds of getting a hernia.
Roger that. Either way they go have a safe surgery and post back letting us know how it went. Take as much time as you need to recover.

Ekdrm2d1

I've ordered like 100 boxes online over the past few years. Never melted and I live in AZ but it is cheaper to just get them at GNC store if it's an option.

Ehh that's an exaggeration. Realistically probably 30 boxes.

Gotcha. Good deal.

The store employee told me that story, was just going by what he said :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It would be very difficult to make any substantial gains, yes. On a beginner program like SS you are deadlifting, squatting, OHPing and benching a LOT. It's all you're doing, and moving up 5 pounds a week. How you'd cram that all into one session, especially when it gets pretty heavy (which will take a long time since you'd be training once a week) would be very inefficient.

Your a healthy eater guy, right? If someone said they were going to eat healthy 20% of the time, when they usually eat unhealthy 100% of the time, what would you say? Probably
Something similar, right? You'll have extremely slow results and its not ideal.

Your light training is essentially cardio. You need more than 1 day a week to see significant gains on such a program. I'm not saying not to do so if that's all you can do, but you're going to have problems finding a program tailored to that schedule, as it's very inefficient to work around.

Thanks for the responses.

Damn, that's unfortunate. Right now, week days are almost certainly out of the question (or would be horribly inconsistent at best).

Tash

Not to mention, if you do not see change or gains it's hard to stay motivated..the more you work, the faster you'll see improvements. With keeping in mind that over-training wouldn't do any good either, of course.

I am actually getting cranky if I get interrupted within a week of working out..or if I have to take time off due to traveling/work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I consumed a ton of food yesterday and finally stopped eating at 7 or so. I should be lifting at 5 which means I'm going in on a 22 hour fast. Bring it on!

Ekdrm2d1

I don't like the feel when I sit down. My stomach seems to "go over" my belt/waistline.

I do know that everybody's stomach squishes down when they sit down. It's natural for the body as you're not standing.

Guess I feel a little "fat" in that area because of it :(

I don't like the feel when I sit down. My stomach seems to "go over" my belt/waistline.

I do know that everybody's stomach squishes down when they sit down. It's natural for the body as you're not standing.

Guess I feel a little "fat" in that area because of it :(

My gut is like that too. I'm with you in that it feels like it is "too much." Just gotta keep grinding along and lose the bf% although at times, I feel like mine is worse than others who have the same bf% as I do. I tend to hold a majority of my fat in the stomach.

No big deal though! It will go away eventually.

CrankyJay

Banned
I consumed a ton of food yesterday and finally stopped eating at 7 or so. I should be lifting at 5 which means I'm going in on a 22 hour fast. Bring it on!

Oh man, I did my 16 fast just fine and broke with a Quest bar...which was pretty filling. Normally I would have eaten a huge lunch but I had to run home to accept delivery of a new TV and set it up and it wasn't until close to 3 that I ate and by then I was starving and my blood sugar was low.

Finally feel better after eating a whole meatball sub. lol

Quikies83

Just got a new tattoo (inner right forearm all the way up to bicep)... Clearly, I should avoid the gym but any of you with weight room and ink experience... Can you give me any advice?
I'm still going to the gym but basically doing squats, leg, and core work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a new tattoo (inner right forearm all the way up to bicep)... Clearly, I should avoid the gym but any of you with weight room and ink experience... Can you give me any advice?
I'm still going to the gym but basically doing squats, leg, and core work.

You're probably going to be just fine. BUT.

I'd recommend staying away until the scabs come off completely. I have one on my neck that didn't heal perfectly due to the scabs going every which way.

A common concern is because gyms are pretty germy it's best to wait until its healed.

Quikies83

You're probably going to be just fine. BUT.

I'd recommend staying away until the scabs come off completely. I have one on my neck that didn't heal perfectly due to the scabs going every which way.

A common concern is because gyms are pretty germy it's best to wait until its healed.

Good call... I got the tattoo done this last Thursday - it's already scabbing and flaking off (healing). I'll stay away from the gym for a bit longer.... the ink that's on my inner elbow is what worries me the most at the gym -- i don't want to stretch that area while it's healing... so most upper body exercises are out... ahhh well... a week off from the gym won't hurt that much, I guess. It has just become my main hobby and passing right by the gym on my way home makes me feel like shit.
Bleh

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good call... I got the tattoo done this last Thursday - it's already scabbing and flaking off (healing). I'll stay away from the gym for a bit longer.... the ink that's on my inner elbow is what worries me the most at the gym -- i don't want to stretch that area while it's healing... so most upper body exercises are out... ahhh well... a week off from the gym won't hurt that much, I guess. It has just become my main hobby and passing right by the gym on my way home makes me feel like shit.
Bleh

You're probably not going to have any issues with stretching (and if you do, WHEN doesn't really matter) but it's pretty key to keep it safe and keep yourself healthy. Tattoos are for life, and if you gotta sacrifice a week then sacrifice that week.

dejay

Banned
Height: 150cm/6ft 1"
Weight: 71kg/11.1 stone/154.4lbs
Goal: 80kg

Current Training Schedule:

Walking five minues on treadmill
Lower back machine: 3 x 12
Squats with no weight: 3 x 20
Leg extensions: 3 x 12
Wide-bar pull down: 3 x 12
Machine bench press: 2 x 15
Pec machine: 2 x 12
Bike: 8 minutes

Current Training Equipment Available: Everything. Literally.

Comments:

When squatting I hold on to the bar, which is in a fixed position and then squat.

I started the gym six weeks ago and started using the personal trainer who's a competing and multi-competition winning bodybuilder; I figured I had no idea what I'm doing so it's worth by £5 weekly every three weeks. We're changing routines every three weeks, except for this week which runs for four, as he was competing on Saturday last week.

I've got two worries: one I don't know what kind of gains I should be expecting in six weeks. I keep reading about "noob gains" and therefore expected to, at least, gain a bit of weight - I started the gym at 11 stone/154lbs. My PT said to eat four meals a day as he only wants me to gain a pound a month, so I've been eating this on weekdays consistently:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast
Up to and including lunch: two bananas, 100g of dry roasted nuts, a snickers, and two turkey and salad sandwiches on brown bread
Dinner: I still live at home so it's whatever's going - this can be anything from a stir fry to homemade (and healthy) burgers
Supper: Weetabix and one scoop of protein power with milk

In weekends I'll add a couple of bacon sandwiches to that.

As of this week I've been aiming for five meals a day because I didn't see any gains over the six weeks and was getting a bit frustrated. We''re not going for bulk but for shape (plus we don't want to add any more weight to my waist).

Basically I would like to know two things if possible: whether I should be seeing noticeable gains now and how I can improve my diet. Thinking of meals is really, really hard even though I know what I can and can't eat.

How tall are you? 150cm (short) or 1'6" (tallish). Hard to give advice when you've messed up the height in your post. 1 means you're very skinny and the other means you're not.

Outside of that, I would seriously just try Starting Strength for a couple of months and then assess where you are. You won't get very bulky in that short time but it will get you to a place where you can see a direction more clearly. Unweighed squats holding onto a fixed bar? Sounds like you're getting ready to perform Swan Lake.

As an indication I've put on like 4kg of muscle in almost 4 weeks and lost about the same amount of fat for my noob gains. In six weeks if you haven't seen any gains there's something wrong, although everyone is different.

agrajag

Banned
My gut is like that too. I'm with you in that it feels like it is "too much." Just gotta keep grinding along and lose the bf% although at times, I feel like mine is worse than others who have the same bf% as I do. I tend to hold a majority of my fat in the stomach.

I feel like I have that too, except I have more of a love handle problem.

jdavid459

Fitness GAF -

I've been training hard for a few months now off of my trainers routine and I am underwhelmed by the results. I honestly feel like I've gained a bunch of weight but its almost all fat by the looks of it...depressing. I'm going to go with a different routine from now on.

My Q to you is can I get rid of the excess fat I've gained without sacrificing the small muscle gains I've made. Also should I cud my protein shake intake and creatine if it seems like I am gaining fat?

Thanks appreciate it

Ekdrm2d1

Thanks for the reply. Now would be a good time to post my shirtless pictures from 2 weeks ago :p

I'm trying to bulk up with muscle. I used to run 5 days a week, my PT recommended for me to cut down to only 2 days of the week. Since I'm not running as much, I feel that I gained weight, body fat weight. Unless if I'm paranoid. Also has to do with I just feel fat and bloated since I drank beer, ate pizza, and enjoyed myself this weekend. Haven't had a chance to work it off yet.

YTD:

Friday, February 22, 2013
126.8 lbs.

Friday, March 22, 2013
132.6 lbs.

Monday, April 22, 2013
137.4 lbs.

Worried that some of its body fat and not muscle gain :(

Emailed my PT and she replied with
That is great Colin! I bet the weight you are gaining is muscle, not fat! You had become too thin and now you can see the muscle tone so much better! I predict you will gain a bit more but then stabilize....

@ 126.8 lbs.
img8480q.jpg

@ 137.4 lbs.
img9227j.jpg

My rectus abdominis has filled up a bit (I think.) Especially the top two ab muscles.

Both my PT and I notice huge gains in my biceps, forearms, and deltoids. Hopefully that's where the weight (muscle?) gain is from.

I was impressed the other day and took a picture after running. My deltoids and forearms!

Relaxed
img9239yw.jpg

Flexed
img9240k.jpg

As you can see, I'm not fat and my stomach is detailed. I think the weight numbers have got me paranoid. Where are those gains going :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fitness GAF -

I've been training hard for a few months now off of my trainers routine and I am underwhelmed by the results. I honestly feel like I've gained a bunch of weight but its almost all fat by the looks of it...depressing. I'm going to go with a different routine from now on.

My Q to you is can I get rid of the excess fat I've gained without sacrificing the small muscle gains I've made. Also should I cud my protein shake intake and creatine if it seems like I am gaining fat?

Thanks appreciate it

If you're looking to keep your muscle as much as possible you may want to look into Carb Nite as a diet. You mentioned you're still going to go with a different routine - want to run it by us, or ask for suggestions?

What was the old routine? And what's your current diet?

JonCha

How tall are you? 150cm (short) or 1'6" (tallish). Hard to give advice when you've messed up the height in your post. 1 means you're very skinny and the other means you're not.

Outside of that, I would seriously just try Starting Strength for a couple of months and then assess where you are. You won't get very bulky in that short time but it will get you to a place where you can see a direction more clearly. Unweighed squats holding onto a fixed bar? Sounds like you're getting ready to perform Swan Lake.

As an indication I've put on like 4kg of muscle in almost 4 weeks and lost about the same amount of fat for my noob gains. In six weeks if you haven't seen any gains there's something wrong, although everyone is different.

Sorry, 6ft 1".

sphinx

the piano man

regarding seeing gains in six weeks, it depends on what a given person considers "gains".. hard to gauge really, I wouldn't pay much attention to that as 6 weeks is really a drop in the fitness bucket and rather follow a program all the way through, checking different sources to make sure I am following it the way I should, but that's me.

Figure ill post my diet. Been getting shredded from it and by Sunday I don't even care for a cheat meal, but I do it anyways just to fill out and re feed.

Black coffee
fasted cardio

Post cardio Pre weight lifting sesh
2 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter
1 Banana

Post weights
Protein shake

Afternoon snack
homemade salad lettuce and mixture of veggies

Lunch
2 pieces of grilled chicken breasts

Snack
Veggies

Dinner
Salad with a mixture of veggies and sweet potato (every other day)
2 pieces of tilapia or basa filet

Night snack
Celery
1/2 carton of 0%fat cottage cheese

Saturday/Sunday
Breakfast
Oats (Protein+Oats+Egg whites+Banana)

The rest is virtually identical but I have an epic cheat dinner on Sundays and a dessert.

Workout schedule

Monday
Fasted HITT cardio
Chest/Bi's
ABS

Tuesday
Fasted HITT cardio
Back/tri's/shoulders

Wednesday
Fasted HITT
Chest/Bi's/Legs
ABS

Thursday
Fasted HITT
Back/Tri's/Shoulders
ABS

Friday
Fasted HITT
Legs
ABS

Saturday
6 Mile run in Central Park
ABS

Sunday
REST

JonCha

That is your routine how often a week? Why are you only squatting with the bar?

Three times a week.

We're squatting with just the bar because (I was told), we were aiming to increase my heart rate and metabolism and at this point the PT seems happy with using just my own body weight.

You've been squatting 3 times a week with just the bar? For 6 weeks?

Time to add weight! Do SS and revel in the gains. I would also speak with your PT about your concerns.

No, for three weeks.

Gotcha. Regardless, I say it is time to add weight. My thoughts, anyway.

Darren870

Three times a week.

We're squatting with just the bar because (I was told), we were aiming to increase my heart rate and metabolism and at this point the PT seems happy with using just my own body weight.

I'm not a PT, but are you increasing weight in any of the other exercises? It seems like its a fully body range workout, but I wouldn't expect gains with no weight squats. A lot of it seems very basic too.

No, for three weeks.

Still, I dont understand no weight squats. You should be increasing your weight.

agrajag

Banned
so lately, when I've been trying to place the feet back to create an arch on the bench press, my thighs have been cramping up. Is there any remedy for this?

dejay

Banned
Sorry, 6ft 1".

You're like 70kg at 6'1" - you can do to put on some weight. Unless you've put on a lot of extra fat on in the last six weeks, up your calories and train - you need about 150g of protein a day as well, but if you're not eating enough calories then most of that protein will be used for energy instead of building muscle. Start putting on weights to those exercises and progress. You said you want to shape rather than bulk, but you ain't got nothing to shape yet!

Do SS for two months, eat enough and assess where you are afterwards body-wise. You'll get stronger and add some muscle, although SS is more about strength than bulking up. Your performance at the Royal Ballet may suffer though. If you're worried about putting on fat (I wouldn't if I were you for a while) check out things like leangains, but I'd only even start to look at that after a month or two of SS with proper eating. As an inbetween method I've been eating more carbs and less fat on workout days and more fats and less carbs on rest days, always keeping my protein up.

You're also young, so unless you have a heart condition or high blood pressure, there's no need to stick to body weight (all 70kg of it) for six weeks.

regarding seeing gains in six weeks, it depends on what a given person considers "gains".. hard to gauge really, I wouldn't pay much attention to that as 6 weeks is really a drop in the fitness bucket and rather follow a program all the way through, checking different sources to make sure I am following it the way I should, but that's me.

Food for thought - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom