• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

No, it was supposed to be a joke in relation to this quote

Which conjured this in my mind:
8mgyjqj.jpg

Crap, I wish I could sumo squad like that one girl...
Freaking hip flexibility is giving me headaches.

Oh also forgot to list another of my fav cardio songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1lXdLus2WI

Darren870

I do accessory lifts on Tuesdays in a payasyougym.com gym near Paddington with a colleague, could be tempted for Thu/Sat for something similar, I am doing the SS routine on m/w/f with my Virgin PT

Ahh Cool. I usually work out Sat morning but at an old school gym like golds. No real machines just weights.

Ekdrm2d1

First, you look great man. Almost completely unrecognizable from that picture.

To elaborate on your comment - loose skin is definitely an issue some people have after losing tremendous amounts of weight. Especially around their mid section. My jaw surgeon was also a plastic surgeon and it somehow came up in conversation. Said it's one of the main things his clients inquire about.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, that seems to be the problem. Good information, thanks for the contribution :thumbup:

I love my body. I feel and look tremendous. My eating is not a diet anymore, it's a life style. I go around all the wealthy grocery stores and "hang out", talk to the employees and see beautiful women. lol

One positive about losing my beer belly is no more heart burn! I had bad heart burn when I was over weight. Now it's a thing of the past. I went to the doctor for a annual checkup and explained I lost 50 lbs. The doctor said that losing 50 lbs. counts as a major "health happening change" as my organs and body moves differently now. My heart rate is a lot slower since I'm a runner too.

I still love my beer though :(
Only on the weekends these days. 2 nights of the week, I need to get it down to 1 single night. It would be cheaper plus come Monday I would not feel bloated and fat.
Edit: beer connoisseur, none of that mass produced popular beer. I like designer and exotic beer :p

Darren870

I still love my beer though :(
Only on the weekends these days. 2 nights of the week, I need to get it down to 1 single night. It would be cheaper plus come Monday I would not feel bloated and fat.
Edit: beer connoisseur, none of that mass produced popular beer. I like designer and exotic beer :p

I am the same way man, that and wine. Its really hurting me from getting to my goals but London makes drinking to easy....PITA.

The Chef

Dude you don't even know. Put that shit in the freezer for awhile. Don't freeze it, just get it real freaking cold.

Protein powder + almond butter + plain Fage + a few hours in the freezer is heaven bro.

Gotta try this.

Im currently driving across the country this week so eating decent, healthy food has been quite a chore. I actually stopped at a KFC (which I havent been at in years) got a grilled chicken breast and wing plate. It was actually dang good.
That plus a bag of Quest bars and beef jerky under my seat have made it a little easier. And you guys are right, Cookie dough tastes like freakin cookie dough in my mouth. Best one by a long shot.

Szu

Some more background regarding my sitting down stomach problem. Even though it's not fat, it's still skin from when I had a pregnant-like beer belly. At least that's what my mom said. I've been exercising for 3 or 4 years, wonder why it's not all gone. The fat is gone, but not the skin? Doesn't make sense.

Photo taken January 2011
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/2718/photo0287r.jpg

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I read that the fat isn't truly gone. The fat cells are still present in your body. Through diet and exercise, we can dehydrate them to a minisicule level, but it's almost impossible to completely get rid of them. The only permanent solution is liposuction.

Ekdrm2d1

I am the same way man, that and wine. Its really hurting me from getting to my goals but London makes drinking to easy....PITA.

I used to smoke pot so sometimes I make excuses saying "well, I don't smoke anymore so it's OK to drink. " I could not imagine how some people smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, and drink alcohol. Talk about not healthy :eek:

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I read that the fat isn't truly gone. The fat cells are still present in your body. Through diet and exercise, we can dehydrate them to a minisicule level, but it's almost impossible to completely get rid of them. The only permanent solution is liposuction.

Informative posting, thanks! Sounds scary though :(
I'm not into cosmetic surgery and health procedures in general. That stuff scares me.
My mom said people eventually get rid of the excess skin, it just takes a long time. Maybe if I keep up my diet and exercise for another 3 years it'll get better.

Nice to see some of you guys have the same problem though :notalone:

SeanR1221

I used to smoke pot so sometimes I make excuses saying "well, I don't smoke anymore so it's OK to drink. " I could not imagine how some people smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, and drink alcohol. Talk about not healthy :eek:

I'm not into cosmetic surgery and health procedures in general. That stuff scares me.
My mom said people eventually get rid of the excess skin, it just takes a long time. Maybe if I keep up my diet and exercise for another 3 years it'll get better.

Yup I have some from being morbidly obese. It used to bother me a lot, now I'm over it.

Ekdrm2d1

Am I the only one who never followed an actual diet plan or counted calories to lose weight/get in shape? I made my own diet up, bought food that I knew was healthy and low in calories/fat and it happened that way. Never was interested in calculating calories every time I ate something, or followed an internet/world diet plan such as the paleo diet.

Maybe it's needed to go a step further into the world of body building/fitness. Like Chef and them, their bodies are amazingly detailed. Wonder if they follow actual diets or count calories and the a like.

I hate math, maybe that's apart of why I was never interested in calculating calories and such :lol

Edit:
Yup I have some from being morbidly obese. It used to bother me a lot, now I'm over it.

I've seen your old pictures. Amazing progress :)
Yeah, just gotta not think about it. The progress we've all made is way more important. We're fit and healthy, a little extra skin/fat on the stomach shouldn't be an issue.

Szu

Don't let it scare you, you're doing fine in my book. The excess skin will appear to almost disappear, but it's ok if it's still there. I use it as a motivating factor to remind me what I used to look like and far I've come.

Tash

Was there some GAF Quest Code thingie one can use to get the bars cheaper? I am going to try the cookie dough ones after everyone said they are so good.

Ekdrm2d1

Don't let it scare you, you're doing fine in my book. The excess skin will appear to almost disappear, but it's ok if it's still there. I use it as a motivating factor to remind me what I used to look like and far I've come.

aww :)
Great posting, Mr. Szu

Cool leg photos btw. I never commented on them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ah thanks, will have to order online so no go for me :)

I've been avoiding ordering online but I think I'll deal with it in the future. I got out-bro'ed at the GNC and they managed to talk me into getting some bullshit I didn't need. Good salespeople just dance all over my corpse, I'm vulnerable like that.

Tash

I've been avoiding ordering online but I think I'll deal with it in the future. I got out-bro'ed at the GNC and they managed to talk me into getting some bullshit I didn't need. Good salespeople just dance all over my corpse, I'm vulnerable like that.

I am cheating anyway since I am in Europe but a friend of mine has an address in the States so we are using that. Good thing he is a fitness buff too ;)
And same here...specially fat burn crap I bought in the past..

Dude, aren't you like 6'7? When they start the upsale shit just slowly point to your face and start shaking your head.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, aren't you like 6'7? When they start the upsale shit just slowly point to your face and start shaking your head.

heh I don't know what it is but I can't help it! I'm like "yeah...yeah that sounds good, I guess I should get that...sure..."

I should vow to never set foot in a store that gives its employees commission. I get boned so quick.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought a bunch of Quest bars. I went for a variety - one of each bar they had in the store, plus some extra cinnamon roll and chocolate brownie. They also had a Buy 3 Get One Free deal going on with them, AND a free Gold Card, so with the coupon that's been floating around in here I ended up getting them for like $1.30 or so each.

I hope they're as good as everyone says they are. Unfortunately, the store didn't have any cookie dough :(

heh I don't know what it is but I can't help it! I'm like "yeah...yeah that sounds good, I guess I should get that...sure..."

I should vow to never set foot in a store that gives its employees commission. I get boned so quick.

You'd be amazed at how effective not saying a word is. I went in with a couple of those coupons and they said that they can only do one at a time, then said "one way we can get around it is if you come back tomorrow". I just looked at her, unblinking. 5-7 seconds...and she goes,"Well, let me see, I think we can do it today".

Just bought a bunch of Quest bars. I went for a variety - one of each bar they had in the store, plus some extra cinnamon roll and chocolate brownie. They also had a Buy 3 Get One Free deal going on with them, AND a free Gold Card, so with the coupon that's been floating around in here I ended up getting them for like $1.30 or so each.

I hope they're as good as everyone says they are. Unfortunately, the store didn't have any cookie dough :(

You had one job.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

My GNC hasn't ever had cookie dough. It blows.

You'd be amazed at how effective not saying a word is. I went in with a couple of those coupons and they said that they can only do one at a time, then said "one way we can get around it is if you come back tomorrow". I just looked at her, unblinking. 5-7 seconds...and she goes,"Well, let me see, I think we can do it today".

Man, I dunno if I could do that to some poor employee. Damn that's cold blooded!

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, Starting Strength, is it right that I can't go grrraaawwwwww with it like I did with my (heavier) 1RMs...? Because as I understand it is all of those 5x3s must have very good form and the weight can't slow down. Feels funny.

Tash

Man, I dunno if I could do that to some poor employee. Damn that's cold blooded!

With the last few posts and comments on you and from you, you are now officially my Gaf Teddybear. Or that's at least the image I have of you now..a HUGE Teddybear.

Also, sometimes I wish I was a guy..working on legs and lower body stuff is the boon of my life.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Because all cookie dough shipments are being re-routed to Petrie's GNC.

PETRIEEEEEEEEEE! I'll send you a coupon Petrie share the love!

With the last few posts and comments on you and from you are now officially my Gaf Teddybear. Or that's at least the image I have of you now..a HUGE Teddybear.

Also, sometimes I wish I was a guy..working on legs and lower body stuff is the boon of my life.

HARRUMPH. At least it isn't a leather bear.

agrajag

Banned
Haven't been able to taste cookie dough yet, apparently it's a very popular flavor that sells out quick. Having said that, out of the ones I've tried (PB&J, Cinnamon Rool, Banana Nut Muffin, Apple Pie, Strawberry Cheesecake, Mixed Berry Bliss), Vanilla Almond Crunch is far and away the best one. Shit tastes like nougat!

SeanR1221

Thread moving fast today. I wonder if I can cram bench day in between clients today. I have a lot of paper work to do tonight :/

Petrie

Banned
Thread moving fast today. I wonder if I can cram bench day in between clients today. I have a lot of paper work to do tonight :/

Same boat here. Hoping to hit deads at lunch, maybe some pullups and such if I can fit it in. Have to work both jobs today and put my 2 weeks in tonight. Will get easier after those weeks but for now it's a battle for sure.

Because all cookie dough shipments are being re-routed to Petrie's GNC.

Hey, I only have 8 boxes at home. My girl has forced me to start stocking on some other flavors. Not sure why, cookie dough is best.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Mentally preparing myself for a 35lb muscle up! I'll be visualizing it all day and hope to have a successful video posted later on. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still not triggered ketosis back since Carb Nite. I feel fine, haven't been sick at all or felt anything, but I've been strictly keto diet since. A little disappointed as I'm on day 3 and need to be back on keto.

After 14 cycles, I am going to stop 5/3/1. It's been a good run and I have gotten stronger than ever before, but I am switching for a few reasons:
  • Just a bit fatigued, TBH. One routine for about a year and a half will do that
  • Several buddies are doing Texas Method, so it will be easier to train with them
  • In a weird turn of events, I feel like my legs have gotten smaller, and my legs have always been a source of pride. This is so superficial, but I do think my legs grow when I squat more frequently than once every four workouts...and I kinda miss squatting multiple times a week.
My numbers from Cycle 1:

Squat
270x5
305x3
340x1

Bench
185x5
210x3
235x1

Deadlift
275x5
310x3
345x1

Press
115x5
130x3
145x1

My ending numbers from Cycle 13/14 (failed my cycle 14 squat):

Squat
335x5
380x3
425x1

Bench
230x5
260x3
290x1

Deadlift
345x5
395x3
440x1

Press
130x5
145x3
165x1

Bodyweight has remained relatively the same: 200 lbs, +- 5lbs.

Keep in mind, 5/3/1 starts you off with "low" weight, so those numbers are bit inflated in terms of actual gains. Still, it's a fantastic program and I will definitely come back to it--I set PRs in everything, and only had to reset my press. Everything else just kept moving up. My dead started pretty low and I only recently got some form and strength corrections, so hopefully that will separate from the squat soon.

I'm looking forward to starting Texas Method--it's been awhile since I did it, and last time I did, I wasn't nearly this strong.

Ekdrm2d1

Mentally preparing myself for a 35lb muscle up! I'll be visualizing it all day and hope to have a successful video posted later on. :)

Tried my first ever weighted pullup yesterday because of you :p
Held a 6 lb. medicine ball in between my thighs. Definitely harder than a regular pullup. Two reasons, the coordination to hold the ball and of course the additional weight.

Good luck on the muscle up!

MjFrancis

After 14 cycles, I am going to stop 5/3/1. It's been a good run and I have gotten stronger than ever before, but I am switching for a few reasons:
  • Just a bit fatigued, TBH. One routine for about a year and a half will do that
  • Several buddies are doing Texas Method, so it will be easier to train with them
  • In a weird turn of events, I feel like my legs have gotten smaller, and my legs have always been a source of pride. This is so superficial, but I do think my legs grow when I squat more frequently than once every four workouts...and I kinda miss squatting multiple times a week.
Bodyweight has remained relatively the same: 200 lbs, +- 5lbs.

Keep in mind, 5/3/1 starts you off with "low" weight, so those numbers are bit inflated in terms of actual gains. Still, it's a fantastic program and I will definitely come back to it--I set PRs in everything, and only had to reset my press. Everything else just kept moving up. My dead started pretty low and I only recently got some form and strength corrections, so hopefully that will separate from the squat soon.

I'm looking forward to starting Texas Method--it's been awhile since I did it, and last time I did, I wasn't nearly this strong.
Those are some solid gains Mr. Snrub... er... Anton Sugar! It's the kind of patience most people (including myself) can't always afford a program, but it appears to have paid off well for you these past 14 months. And at the same bodyweight no less!

abuC

But you have long arms. Long arms are awesome and you should be happy you don't have stumps instead.

My arms are abnormally long though, if they were just average I'd be happy. To put it in perspective, Wladimir Klitschko is 6 inches taller than me, but we have the same wingspan. I have a picture of myself at 11, and my arms look like they should be attached to someone else, I'm not in the NBA or NFL and I'm not a painter so the length is worthless to me. I just want dem gains, and they make it harder for me.

Noema

So, Starting Strength, is it right that I can't go grrraaawwwwww with it like I did with my (heavier) 1RMs...? Because as I understand it is all of those 5x3s must have very good form and the weight can't slow down. Feels funny.

As you progress through Starting Strength eventually the weights will be heavy enough that the weight will definitely slow down and form will break down a bit. It's normal and it's necessary to drive progress. You need to keep adding weight to the bar.

It actually gets pretty brutally hard later on, when you are basically doing your 5RM for 3 sets on every lifts.

My arms are abnormally long though, if they were just average I'd be happy. To put it in perspective, Wladimir Klitschko is 6 inches taller than me, but we have the same wingspan. I have a picture of myself at 11, and my arms look like they should be attached to someone else, I'm not in the NBA or NFL and I'm not a painter so the length is worthless to me. I just want dem gains, and they make it harder for me.

Long limbs are definitely undesirable for lifters.

Tash

Despite it being really embarrassing number wise (bare with me, gotta start somewhere) this was today's workout:

Sumo Dead-lift (25kg/55lbs) 8 reps
Assisted Chin-ups 8 reps
Sumo Dead-lift (25kg/55lbs) 8 / 8 reps
Assisted Chin-Ups 8 / 8 reps

Sumo Dead Lifts (20kg/44lbs) 12 reps
Assisted Chin Ups 12 reps
Sumo Dead Lift (20kg/44lbs) 12 /12 reps
Assisted Chin ups 12 / 12 reps

Leg curls on Swiss Ball 16 reps
Underhand lat Pull down (25kg/55lbs) 16 reps
Leg curls on Swiss Ball 16 / 16 reps
Underhand Lat Pull Down (20kg/44lbs) 16 / 16 reps
Leg curls on Swiss Ball 16 / 16 / 16 reps
Underhand lat Pull down (20kg/44lbs) 16 / 16 / 16 reps

Goblet Squat (10 kg/22lbs) 16
Push Press (8kg/17lbs) 16
Goblet Squat (10kg/22lbs) 16 / 16
Push Press (8kg/17lbs) 16 / 16
Goblet Squat (8kg/17lbs) 16 / 16 / 16
Push Press (6kg/13lbs) 16 / 16 / 16

Ended with a Cardio HIT circuit of 14 minutes including weighted lateral step out squat

going to try to add 5 pounds each week and slightly reduce rest between sets.

despire

Decided to go back to GSLP. 5/3/1 is pretty awesome but it's not for me yet. I need to get stronger and really exhaust all possible gains from LP first. And I think there's still ways to go. Especially after my cut left me so weak. My DL for example dropped so much that it would take literally ages to recover my strength with 5/3/1 and I want to get back up and running faster.

Anyway thinking about going with the basic program + just a little assistance for now. Maybe the Mass Gain template after a while but I can't do Barbell Decline Bench at my gym. Probably just going to do normal flat bench instead of it and perhaps DB Decline BP as an assistance for a few sets.

Demon Ice

Banned
Anybody ever get numbness/tingling in their thumb after squatting? I think putting the bar over my traps at the base of my neck impinged my C6 nerve root a little in the high bar position, would switching to low bar alleviate that?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Long limbs are definitely undesirable for lifters.

It's brutal. I have long arms too. :(

Despite it being really embarrassing number wise (bare with me, gotta start somewhere) this was today's workout:
going to try to add 5 pounds each week and slightly reduce rest between sets.

These things take time. If you are able to deal with 5+ lbs more each week easily, you might want to go to 10 per week, but it all depends.

Decided to go back to GSLP. 5/3/1 is pretty awesome but it's not for me yet. I need to get stronger and really exhaust all possible gains from LP first. And I think there's still ways to go. Especially after my cut left me so weak. My DL for example dropped so much that it would take literally ages to recover my strength with 5/3/1 and I want to get back up and running faster.

I've got about 6 months before I consider 5/3/1 seriously, and I get the feeling it's going to wipe me out.

Anybody ever get numbness/tingling in their thumb after squatting? I think putting the bar over my traps at the base of my neck impinged my C6 nerve root a little in the high bar position, would switching to low bar alleviate that?

Nothing after squatting, but I get a very tingly, sore spot with my index finger's knuckle on my left hand after pulldowns, when I do them. I've adjusted my grip and it seems ok, I must lead with my left index or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom