• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Oh I know. I used to be like you guys and try and explain why you should or shouldn't eat something.

Then I laid down the rule she can do whatever she wants but I'll be following my own thing. That seemed to do the trick.

dOESN'T WORK FOR ME BECAUSE WHEN SHE SAYS SHE WANTS SOMETHING AND i SAY i'LL BE EATING CHICKEN, THAT IN AND OF ITSELF SEEMS TO CAUSE PROBLEMS!

So for those of you lifting fairly heavy but cutting, how has changing eating habits affected your perception of sweets?

I've avoided chocolate chip cookies, chips, and stuff all around the house because I feel like shit after just eating one small cookie a few days ago.

I don't think I have a craving for processed sugary stuff anymore...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So for those of you lifting fairly heavy but cutting, how has changing eating habits affected your perception of sweets?

I've avoided chocolate chip cookies, chips, and stuff all around the house because I feel like shit after just eating one small cookie a few days ago.

I don't think I have a craving for processed sugary stuff anymore...

The craving, for me, is absolutely dead. I had a carb nite last week and sugary shit wasn't ruined, but it barely kicked back in sugar cravings for about a day then I was good again.

My advice? Don't go eat that piece of cake and give in, because it won't taste very good to you AND ruin your streak.

The craving, for me, is absolutely dead. I had a carb nite last week and sugary shit wasn't ruined, but it barely kicked back in sugar cravings for about a day then I was good again.

My advice? Don't go eat that piece of cake and give in, because it won't taste very good to you AND ruin your streak.

Thanks for this piece of advice. Three weeks ago I had probably 2 Chips Ahoy cookies and afterwards felt irritable as hell. No idea why, but I think it was the really crappy dough that just affected my mood all evening. Never again.

Szu

Thanks for this piece of advice. Three weeks ago I had probably 2 Chips Ahoy cookies and afterwards felt irritable as hell. No idea why, but I think it was the really crappy dough that just affected my mood all evening. Never again.

Next time, just spit it out. ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Next time, just spit it out. ;)

This guy right here knows the solution, I almost did Szu-method yesterday because some very nice soul brought CAKE POPS to work. I almost died! They're still sitting in our kitchen....

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah the cravings of crap go away, I have lacked any fascination for unhealthy stuff. Hunger still does come occasionally towards the end of those days when I eat (I am doing IF), at times I feel just really hungry for anything. Eating makes you hungrier, and eating crap even more so.

MjFrancis

I was talking to a co-worker today about fasting and suddenly an overweight woman chimes in and informs me how unhealthy it is and that breakfast should never be missed. This type of situation happens often to me when I discuss my eating habits. We have a long way to go reversing the attitudes regarding when and what to eat in this country.
I'm guessing that positive public opinion on fasting - or at least the attitude that breakfast no longer confers magical properties in those who partake - will take decades to enter mainstream thought. People hold onto ideas as if they were their own, and when they are threatened by conflicting information they take it very personally rather than figure out which side holds more water. Diets are no more immune than religion is to this stubbornness.

Regarding diet advice for a significant other - if asked, I give advice - and only then.

I'm guessing that positive public opinion on fasting - or at least the attitude that breakfast no longer confers magical properties in those who partake - will take decades to enter mainstream thought. People hold onto ideas as if they were their own, and when they are threatened by conflicting information they take it very personally rather than figure out which side holds more water. Diets are no more immune than religion is to this stubbornness.

Regarding diet advice for a significant other - if asked, I give advice - and only then.

They don't like doing their own research and that is the biggest problem. The trainers in my gym I talked with on a daily basis all agree that simple changes in nutrition and diet is what it takes.

...coupled with the fact that the gym is located near a McDonald's, 7-Eleven, and a Popeye's Chicken...I've seen people finish their workouts and head into these places afterwards.

Talk about irony here...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They don't like doing their own research and that is the biggest problem. The trainers in my gym I talked with on a daily basis all agree that simple changes in nutrition and diet is what it takes.

...coupled with the fact that the gym is located near a McDonald's, 7-Eleven, and a Popeye's Chicken...I've seen people finish their workouts and head into these places afterwards.

Talk about irony here...

Sometimes I head to McDonalds and get some burgers post workout. Usually on squat or deadlift day. ;)

In fact, I did this yesterday!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Talk about irony here...

Depends on your goals though - if you're bulkin? Go suck that food down. Crush it!

Heh! I generally like eating clean to be honest and I worked at a McDonald's very early in my teenage years...for about 3 months in the summer. Yeah, you can youtube some of the stuff that's in those meals.

Regardless - it still boggles me to wonder why people (in this day and age) not do proper research regarding their diets. Seriously overweight folks can lose a good portion just by cutting out stuff like sodas! =\

Zoe

LOL, that video is hilarious. I never knew calf muscles were such a big deal, matter of fact I used to think there was something wrong with mine for being so thick. I played basketball and the most athletic people I knew had really high calf muscles that were slender.

High, shorter calves tend to mean you're better at sprinting while longer calves will tip towards endurance, so it wouldn't surprise me that really good basketball players would tend to have that type.

despire

Here's an alternate version of the Dave "Khorne" Tate, Shogun! :p

VwMPS7l.jpg

This happens with my g/f quite a bit. She'll tell me its "only" a slice of pizza or beer or whatever, but when I try to explain that all those "only" items add up when they are just day after day, she'll tell me how her other meals weren't bad. You can't cheat everyday sweetie.

My wife and I are doing carb nite together. Yesterday I discovered that she ate some leftover ice cream from our last carb up. I feel betrayed kind of. She got mad at me for being "judging".

Gentlemen. Easiest way to handle these situations.

"You can do whatever you want"

"Would you eat that?"

"No"
Yep yep yep. My wife does these things too. Although she has gotten much better recently and she's doing SS now and has been on it for a month or so.

Everytime she breaks or asks me to I tell her she can eat it if she wants but not to be mad when she doesn't get the results she wants. She's starting to realize it and has been much better the last couple of weeks. I used to get frustrated with her but that didn't help her and it didn't help our relationship Haha

As far as diet goes, no problems when I learned to shake it off that she's eating bad.

I'm not sure how it would be to train her though. I taught her the lifts and she goes and she does them herself at the gym She comes back with good questions about form and technique so that's good. But I know I'm quite unbearable when I see a training partner giving themselves excuses for not trying that last set or the extra weight. I'll bust some balls at that point.

I've worked with too many people who want to deload even though their form is good and they got the necessary reps. I understand some people are scared of hurting themselves but I think it's mostly an excuse not to push yourself because well, that shit is hard.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As far as diet goes, no problems when I learned to shake it off that she's eating bad.

I'm not sure how it would be to train her though. I taught her the lifts and she goes and she does them herself at the gym She comes back with good questions about form and technique so that's good. But I know I'm quite unbearable when I see a training partner giving themselves excuses for not trying that last set or the extra weight. I'll bust some balls at that point.

I've worked with too many people who want to deload even though their form is good and they got the necessary reps. I understand some people are scared of hurting themselves but I think it's mostly an excuse not to push yourself because well, that shit is hard.

You just reminded me today I'm gonna add a significant amount of weight. I've been successful at all my reps even adding some weight, but I think it's time for me to really test myself, safely.

Then immediately after workout, make my shake, and podcast about games. This is gonna be a stupid day. :)

Lurking this thread lately and started reading up on Carb Nite. Bought the e-book last night and read through the first few chapters. Starting to make sense why I was seeing results last year when I switched towards a more "low-carb" lifestyle, and why recently, within the past 6+ months I've been at a stand still. So I'm really interested/determined to do this Carb Nite, but of course I have to get my wife on board.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone following the program has other suggestions/literature for meals during the Reorientation period?

Szu

Yeah, I found a decent alternative when I workout with my wife. I still find some time to train, but I started to ween her away from me so that she can get comfortable with her own workout.

We have different goals. I want to stay fit, strong, and lean. She wants to lose weight and gain energy.

I did jump start her system by getting her to do squats and other compound exercises, but it's not very effective when she works with me. The worst is when she complains about me using "too much" weight. For example, I'm do DB chest press with 70 lbs. (4x15), she tells me that it looks so like a lot of weight. I have to explain to her that the weight is relative to the individual. She can do 12.5 lbs (4x15), which is great for her, but it doesn't add up in her mind that I'm doing that much.

Though, I'm can't complain too much. In the end, I know that she just worries about me. We just have to find some compromises.

On that note, I'm doing a Zumba class with her tonight.

moocow

My biggest problem with the few times that my gf worked out with me is that I feel that she was lifting weights which were too heavy for her because she was trying to impress me. She compensates for many of her lifts by bunching forward which puts unnecessary pressure on her traps, so I spend slot of time trying to slow her down. Thankfully her squats and deadlifts are solid so for those I just stay back and enjoy the view.

She is very receptive to critique, so it's a pleasant experience.

Post surgery update- been home therethree days now. Going on small walks everyday because I can't stand being cooped up, although I'm probably slowing down my recovery.

Szu

My biggest problem with the few times that my gf worked out with me is that I feel that she was lifting weights which were too heavy for her because she was trying to impress me. She compensates for many of her lifts by bunching forward which puts unnecessary pressure on her traps, so I spend slot of time trying to slow her down. Thankfully her squats and deadlifts are solid so for those I just stay back and enjoy the view.

Post surgery update- been home therethree days now. Going on small walks everyday because I can't stand being cooped up, although I'm probably slowing down my recovery.

That's nice to hear about her.

As long as you're recovering, you'll be fine.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bout to go out in public wearing these rugby shorts for the first time. My wife likes them, even told me to get a few more pair but I can't help feeling "odd" that they are as short as they are.

"They're all gonna laugh at you" keeps playing in my head.

Thankfully my size may deter some of that, at least where I can see it. ;)

Fuck it, haters gonna hate. These shorts are glorious.

Moving and doing what you can will actually speed recovery up so long as you don't do anything stupid.

grumble

I actually like to do light activity after an injury, since the scar tissue heals better for the movement. As long as you don't tear it IMO

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bout to go out in public wearing these rugby shorts for the first time. My wife likes them, even told me to get a few more pair but I can't help feeling "odd" that they are as short as they are.

Ain't nobody laughin. They're mirin.

Were there other colors? All I saw was black and white.

Want some blue and purple ones.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Regarding the spouse discussion, I echo many posts. It's to the point that I won't even ask if my wife is going to the gym with me because in her head that somehow means I'm not happy with how she looks and me asking is a hint to her that I don't like the way she looks. Could not be further from the truth but oh well. Sure is frustrating.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Regarding the spouse discussion, I echo many posts. It's to the point that I won't even ask if my wife is going to the gym with me because in her head that somehow means I'm not happy with how she looks and me asking is a hint to her that I don't like the way she looks. Could not be further from the truth but oh well. Sure is frustrating.

I'm in the opposite boat. Whenever my wife asks me to work out with her, I end up making her cry. So I stopped, haha.

I just won't let her quit, my infantry sergeant team leader brain kicks in.

It's not good for either one of us. :p

"You are coming at me like a trainer, not like a bf!"

I mean, I understand where you are coming from but I'm here to come to the gym to get strong, not fuck around.

Yup, never again lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

MjFrancis

Before I leave, Sean, remember what I told you about Deads last night?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt-krocs-kroc-row-back-workout.html

Watch the video.
I miss Kroc rows! I remember a similar article Kroc posted on T-Nation, except it didn't have t-bar rows or shrugs. It was the Building a Big Freaky Back article (I have this saved under my bookmarks, lol) and this was the sample workout:

A. Deadlifts
Week one: Work up to one heavy set of 5 reps in 4-5 sets.
Week two: Work up to one heavy set of 3 reps in 4-5 sets
Week three: Work up to a heavy single in 4-5 sets.
Week four: No deadlifting.
Repeat

B. Chin-ups
Warm up. Then perform as many sets as necessary to total 100 reps, alternating each set between a wide overhand grip, a medium neutral grip, and a close neutral or underhand grip.

Each week try to achieve the 100 reps in fewer sets. When you can achieve this in four or fewer sets, add weight.

C. Kroc rows
Work up to one all-out set (with each arm) of 20-30 reps with as heavy a dumbbell as possible. Every week strive to set a new rep PR. When able to perform 30 reps, increase the weight. Don't do the wimpy where you keep your elbow tucked!

All I did to tweak it was to change his deadlift protocol to the 5/3/1 protocol. Then I did 100 chins in as many sets as it took (this fucking sucks when you're not Matt Kroc or Shogun) and finished with a set of Kroc rows.

My wife and I made some steamed lemongrass / jalapeno mussels last night, and I was thinking that they must be pretty healthy.

I looked it up and it seems pretty dang good:

One Serving:
150 Calories
4g Fat (1 Saturated)
6g Carbs (0 Sugar)
20g Protein

Plus Omega-3 acids and a solid load of other nutrients.

Going to have to have these more often over the summer, luckily we live in a place where we can get them fresh daily. Seems almost unfair to be that tasty and healthy.

andycapps

I think today's workout is going to be brutal. I'm cutting anyway, which is dumb on SS, but I'm going to the beach next month and want to be as lean as possible. Tuesday's workout was rough, no caffeine pre-workout and I had a hard time finishing my last set of squats. Power cleans were a joke. Bad workout.

Today, forgot my lunch so had to eat some Bob Evans breakfast burrito in the machine here. Thankfully I have a box of Quest bars in the car that will hopefully give me enough energy.

Before I leave, Sean, remember what I told you about Deads last night?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt-krocs-kroc-row-back-workout.html

Watch the video.

If you live in my area I can offer to help out if our schedules jive, I've offered that here before, but no one else seems to live in the middle of cornfield U.S.A

I'm in the STL area.

It is absolutely incredible that he is able to do chins with that much weight on his frame.

Also Kroc rows for life.

My wife and I made some steamed lemongrass / jalapeno mussels last night, and I was thinking that they must be pretty healthy.

I looked it up and it seems pretty dang good:

One Serving:
150 Calories
4g Fat (1 Saturated)
6g Carbs (0 Sugar)
20g Protein

Plus Omega-3 acids and a solid load of other nutrients.

Going to have to have these more often over the summer, luckily we live in a place where we can get them fresh daily. Seems almost unfair to be that tasty and healthy.

Looks amazing man.

I wish I had someone check my form. I am totally obsessed with doing everything correct. Especially since I have issues with squatting in general. Maybe some of these days when we have our home gym I take some vids and post them for correction advice.

Really concerned with fucking something up. Especially now that I want to go high weight low rep.

Also, to be fair, on the diet intermittent fasting or not discussion:
Insulin resistance, hormonal issues and other stuff can weigh into nutrition decisions. Not every method works for everyone. Some people do need breakfast for one reason or another..others can do without.

Just prop your camera phone up and take a quick video or ask a trainer to watch your form.

abuC

I need to find a woman that already works out, my ex would constantly talk about the gym, but never went.

SeanR1221

Thanks for posting that, Alien!

By some odd chance I just got a call from my fiancé about how's she's going to stop being so rigid, love her body more, appreciate her gains and be more proud of herself. Ok who messaged her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom