• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that, Alien!

By some odd chance I just got a call from my fiancé about how's she's going to stop being so rigid, love her body more, appreciate her gains and be more proud of herself. Ok who messaged her?

Girls are so odd. The better looking they are the more self conscious they get.

Cagey

Banned
New job, long days, shifting workouts to the weekend.

Cut stalled at -13. Lost some inches, visible loss on dat serratus, abs still safely protected by a nice soft cushion. All in all it's a victory, but damnit.

Week two of 5/3/1. For those that have started this having a decent amount of lifting experience prior, what's the usual in going beyond the last set? Meaning, if I'm putting up 11 on 5+ and 3+, would that suggest the weight was too low? Not that I'm going to increase the weight, more out of curiosity.

Noema

New job, long days, shifting workouts to the weekend.

Cut stalled at -13. Lost some inches, visible loss on dat serratus, abs still safely protected by a nice soft cushion. All in all it's a victory, but damnit.

Week two of 5/3/1. For those that have started this decent lifting experience, what's the usual in going beyond the last set? Meaning, if I'm putting up 11-12, would that suggest the weight was too low?

Is that the second week of the first cycle? What do your training maxes look like?

You are fine, probably. It's better to start too low than too high.

Depending on how many reps you get in the last rep of the 3rd week of the cycle, you might want to consider increasing lower body lifts by 20lb and upper body by 10lb just for your second cycle.

Cagey

Banned
Is that the second week of the first cycle? What do your training maxes look like?

You are fine, probably. It's better to start too low than too high.

Depending on how many reps you get in the last rep of the 3rd week of the cycle, you might want to consider increasing lower body lifts by 20lb and upper body by 10lb just for your second cycle.

Yeah, it's week two of cycle one. Good idea on the 20/10 jump for the second cycle; if I'm putting up 5 on a "1 rep max" I'll seek out a larger increase. I'm starting just right on squat/press, probably "too low" on bench/deads, but that's OK. I was surprised more than concerned.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real quick question I think I know the answer to

Keto w/SS - waste of time? I'm seeing gains but I'm sure their days are numbered. I'm in no way eating a caloric surplus. Thinking about dumping keto for a couple months to see how I gain then. I've outgrown my weenie complimentary apartment gym and am going to be moving to a real gym, want to make efficient use of my time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thought you were on Carb Nite, Sun?

I had one Carb Nite, heh. Been working to get back on keto so it feels like all I had was a cheat meal. I wouldn't mind more Carb Nites but I get the feeling I should do a total diet overhaul if I want to gain.

Noema

Yeah, it's week two of cycle one. Good idea on the 20/10 jump for the second cycle; if I'm putting up 5 on a "1 rep max" I'll seek out a larger increase. I'm starting just right on squat/press, probably "too low" on bench/deads, but that's OK. I was surprised more than concerned.

Well, but's not a true 1RM; it's a training Max.

I'd say 5 Reps on the 3rd week of the first 531 Cycle is not only okay; it's pretty much expected. So if you only get 5 Reps on your 3rd week, then probably you shouldn't jump more than 5lb / 10lb pounds for the next cycle. Add more only if you get something like 9-10 Reps.

I'm in my 6th Cycle and I'm still putting 4-5 reps on the last set of the third week in all my lifts.

grumble

Keto w/SS - waste of time? I'm seeing gains but I'm sure their days are numbered. I'm in no way eating a caloric surplus. Thinking about dumping keto for a couple months to see how I gain then. I've outgrown my weenie complimentary apartment gym and am going to be moving to a real gym, want to make efficient use of my time.

Generally keto and SS aren't a good mix. It's a really aggressive program that benefits from some carbs (and a surplus or maintenance if you're heavy).

Cagey

Banned

Word. Big fish in small pond seeks a lake brah. I just joined a real gym three weeks ago.

Daud

Neo Member

Cagey

Banned
Well, but's not a true 1RM; it's a training Max.

I'd say 5 Reps on the 3rd week of the first 531 Cycle is not only okay; it's pretty much expected. So if you only get 5 Reps on your 3rd week, then probably you shouldn't jump more than 5lb / 10lb pounds for the next cycle. Add more only if you get something like 9-10 Reps.

I'm in my 6th Cycle and I'm still putting 4-5 reps on the last set of the third week in all my lifts.

Ah, gotcha. I had no idea what my + rep expectation should be. Thanks.

Noema

I remember about a year and a half ago when I tried to do Keto while still on a SS Linear Progression.

This is how I felt after my first work set of squats when in Ketosis:

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Generally keto and SS aren't a good mix. It's a really aggressive program that benefits from some carbs (and a surplus or maintenance if you're heavy).

Yeah, I think next week I'll make the diet change.

Word. Big fish in small pond seeks a lake brah. I just joined a real gym three weeks ago.

I got to the point where I can throw every weight they have around, so I figure it's time. I did some shopping around and I've decided on a spot, just need to get in there and pay the money next week. And prepared to re-learn everything because I'm gonna ask their trainers for form help.

just spoke to my doc earlier this week, blood and urine tests were mostly good, but my cholesterol results were bad.

LDL was 4.18
HDL was 1
triglycerides .74
chol/hdl ratio 5.52

how do I go about lowering the bad LDL?? Should I stop eating white rice?

Noema

Hi FitGAF.

I'm new here but have been lurking for a few months now.

I began Starting Strength around mid-March. Liking my progress so far but time for a form check.

I am not satisfied with my deadlift form, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SjI3UMHNfI8

I am generally more confident in my squat, but have a look anyway. I'm doing the high-bar version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9zxtUL-EGY

Any comment, suggestion, criticism would be welcome.

Your Deadlift video is set to private, so we can't watch it.

Your squats look ok. You have to drive more with your chest since you are doing high bar. Also, stop staring at the mirror. It's killing your drive out of the hole. Pick a spot on the floor and fix your sight to it.

And since you are doing high bar, don't be afraid of shoving your knees forward and having a bit more of a bounce there. (this depends on ankle flexibility)

You are also rounding your back a bit at the bottom, which leads to some butt wink. Remember to keep your chest up and tight at all times. It should feel really tight before you unrack the bar.

Noema

Thanks Noema for the tips and sorry about the deadlift one. It should be viewable now.

For the love of Christ don't ever again twist your neck to look at the mirror while deadlifting.

Dont

Ever

Do

That

Ever

Again

Ignore the mirrors. Forget about the mirrors. Find a spot at the gym where there are no mirrors. I swear to god, mirrors are the worst thing to happen to commercial gyms since Bosu balls. Completely unnecessary, and they just lead to bad form. And people in their infinite vanity flock to the mirrors so they can see their biceps pump as they do curlz in the squat rack. Fucking mirrors.

Have you read Starting Strength? I suggest you read it thoroughly because it explains the lifts much better than I could.

Some quick pointers:

-Bar goes over the middle of the foot. That's the actual middle of the foot, not the part of the foot that you can see.

-Raise your chest AND your butt before you pull. This will set you in lumbar extension and will also mantain hamstring tightness. You should be able to feel your spinal erectors as they squeeze into position.

-When lowering the back, unlock your hips first. Your knees must remain locked until the bar has traveled back down past your knees. Otherwise you end up with the bar meeting your legs on the way down, forcing you to shove it forward so you can lower it, which you did in every rep.

Daud

Neo Member
Thanks again, I'll put that to practice.

The reason I was doing my stupid neck twist is to be sure my back stays straight when I initiate the lift, but I guess I'll just try to feel it from now on.

About the bar placement relative to the feet, I think it's pretty close to the actual middle of my foot. But thanks for the hips unlocking thing, this will definitely change the way I descend the weight.

And I did check bits of the SS book here and there but I'll read it in full.

Anyone else?

Ekdrm2d1

just spoke to my doc earlier this week, blood and urine tests were mostly good, but my cholesterol results were bad.

LDL was 4.18
HDL was 1
triglycerides .74
chol/hdl ratio 5.52

how do I go about lowering the bad LDL?? Should I stop eating white rice?

Isn't white rice the worst kind for you? Everybody has different opinions on the matter, but IMO, try a different style of rice. The best rice I've tried in 2013 was the Khao Deng Ruby Red Rice.

I'd like to try the Canadian Lake Wild Rice but it's like $8 for 6oz! Such a rip off. Maybe it's cheaper in the bulk bins or something. A different brand.

Frostburn

Thanks again, I'll put that to practice.

The reason I was doing my stupid neck twist is to be sure my back stays straight when I initiate the lift, but I guess I'll just try to feel it from now on.

About the bar placement relative to the feet, I think it's pretty close to the actual middle of my foot. But thanks for the hips unlocking thing, this will definitely change the way I descend the weight.

And I did check bits of the SS book here and there but I'll read it in full.

Anyone else?

Keep your shoulders back as if you were trying to squeeze your shoulder blades into the middle of your back and as he said, unlock at the hips and your form will improve and you won't round your back on the way down.

Petrie

Banned
Lunchtime workouts haven't been too bad, especially upper body days. 5/3/1 sets fit in easy, and it just seems to mean maybe a set less of each accessory lift or skipping one of them. Nothing to detrimental to overall progress. kinda like it, forces me to be more efficient and waste less time.

I'm a complete fitness novice with a random question. Years ago when I played basketball, one of our regular workouts included wall sits. I was taught that a proper wall sit includes keeping your heels raised an inch or so. I still do them this way, but I've noticed almost everywhere online says you must keep your feet flat on the floor. Is there any benefit to doing wall sits this way, or should I just assume my coach taught it like that because it's the traditional basketball defense stance?

Szu

Well, there was a health fair at work today. I was too busy to go before lunch. However, due to the closing time of the fair, I had to rush there within five minutes of finishing my lunch.

I skipped the cholesterol test because I had it tested about 6 months ago and I've been on a cut for the last two, so I'm not too worried about it.

I went straight for the body fat test. They used a electronic analyzer. They punched in my numbers and it spit out 18.3%!!! There was another station that had a similar analyzer, I got tested there and, again, 18.3%!!!

I've personally used an analyzer 8 months ago and I got 14%. That was during the fall before my wedding when my focus wasn't entirely on training.

Now, I know there are factors for this high ready. These analyzers have a setting for normal or athletic people. I always used the athletic setting. They handlers probably used normal for everyone. Also, getting checked immediately after lunch, including drinking a lot of water, probably skewed my numbers a bit.

It's that or I'm out of shape.

Szu, don't care about the number. You look lean as fuck. The percentage that a machine gives you doesn't matter if you're cut like yourself!

Everytime I've tried to analyze bf I just get frustrated and depressed. I hate it!

Szu, don't care about the number. You look lean as fuck. The percentage that a machine gives you doesn't matter if you're cut like yourself!

Everytime I've tried to analyze bf I just get frustrated and depressed. I hate it!

I use body calipers at home. If the number continues to go down, I'm doing something right.

I tried Keto w/ SS one time in my life and I had two major muscle spasms that week. Nevvver again

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Back from turning my upper body into a mountain. Consuming ALL THE CARBS.

I miss Kroc rows! I remember a similar article Kroc posted on T-Nation, except it didn't have t-bar rows or shrugs. It was the Building a Big Freaky Back article (I have this saved under my bookmarks, lol) and this was the sample workout:

All I did to tweak it was to change his deadlift protocol to the 5/3/1 protocol. Then I did 100 chins in as many sets as it took (this fucking sucks when you're not Matt Kroc or Shogun) and finished with a set of Kroc rows.

Lol, you flatter me, but I hate pullups.

Also, I just added kroc rows back in in place of Tbar.

Do you have a specific spreadsheet you fill out on these? Meaning I'm guessing you measure at multiple points and then average everything.

eh kinda. I started doing that but then I got annoyed. The one I use just says to pinch around your belly. Suprailiac is the correct term. Look at the number I pinched, then track that.

xptoxyz

Fitness-GAF, what do you eat, or feel like are good things to eat before doing a more strenuous training. For a practical example, say it's the end of the afternoon, lunch is far gone, do what do you eat so your blood sugar isn't too low and you feel weak but not foods that make you feel nauseous when under stress. (which I guess does happen anyway if you push yourself too hard?) And how long before training do you eat?

PBY

Banned
Fitness-GAF, what do you eat, or feel like are good things to eat before doing a more strenuous training. For a practical example, say it's the end of the afternoon, lunch is far gone, do what do you eat so your blood sugar isn't too low and you feel weak but not foods that make you feel nauseous when under stress. (which I guess does happen anyway if you push yourself too hard?) And how long before training do you eat?
2 quest bars usually do the trick

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I do that every Wednesday (531 Deadlifts + BBB Squats).

I had 2x Chicken McMenus + 1 McBacon

I love Wednesdays.

#Team FastFoodBulk!

It is absolutely incredible that he is able to do chins with that much weight on his frame.

Also Kroc rows for life.

Speaking as a man that weighs 228-230lbs, pullups fucking suck. Still managed this today before heading out. I do take extended breaks between pullups though. Don't wanna get fried before hitting them rows later.

Pullups:
13 reps (+145 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)

Thanks for posting that, Alien!

By some odd chance I just got a call from my fiancé about how's she's going to stop being so rigid, love her body more, appreciate her gains and be more proud of herself. Ok who messaged her?

No problem! And good to hear she's learnin'!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Uhg, just destroyed 2 scoops of whey, 2 tacos, a package of pizza combos, a can of beefaroni, and a rootbeer in less than 20 minutes.

Dat bloat.

I have long-arms, but I'm back down to the low-180lbs range. Pull-ups are already getting easier.

The power of your beard compels you.

Lifting overall has seriously improved my posture, both in walking, and sitting on the computer typing this out. I used to lean over with the "computer posture" but it seems lifting has corrected that form overall.

While I may never be as SQUAT GOD Alienshogun or Szu, what motivated you to take control of your health and fitness GAF?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lifting overall has seriously improved my posture, both in walking, and sitting on the computer typing this out. I used to lean over with the "computer posture" but it seems lifting has corrected that form overall.

While I may never be as SQUAT GOD Alienshogun or Szu, what motivated you to take control of your health and fitness GAF?

LOL I'm not squat god. I was simply paying tribute to squat god. Squats are my worst lift.

I decided to start lifting because I was going through some serious shit after my deployments to iraq and my separation from the Army. If I didn't start lifting I'd probably still be in the bottom of a JD bottle right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom