• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Deadlift injuries? Nice. I didn't read but I'm hoping that was like midset, nothing quite like that kinda pain happening and then just pushing through it.

I have a bad one though, that I hope no one else has ever experienced.

Set up for the lift. Stood up for first rep. All good. Control on the way down. All good. Explode up for second rep and really squeeze my hams and glutes at the top. Not good. What was that I felt inbetween my legs when I flexed really hard?????
Oh it was my left nut!!!!

Drop forward, release weight, drop to hand and knees, crawl over to garbage can that was beside the cage, throw up violently.

Not the best deadlift day I have had.

Deadlift injuries? Nice. I didn't read but I'm hoping that was like midset, nothing quite like that kinda pain happening and then just pushing through it.

I have a bad one though, that I hope no one else has ever experienced.

Set up for the lift. Stood up for first rep. All good. Control on the way down. All good. Explode up for second rep and really squeeze my hams and glutes at the top. Not good. What was that I felt inbetween my legs when I flexed really hard?????
Oh it was my left nut!!!!

Drop forward, release weight, drop to hand and knees, crawl over to garbage can that was beside the cage, throw up violently.

Not the best deadlift day I have had.

I died a little bit inside reading this

blackflag

Doh that's horrible.

Worst thing happen to me is like a year ago I was attempting 405 for the first time and I struggled. Honestly I should have dropped it cuz my form went all to shit but I wanted it so I lock out and everything went black and then I woke up on the floor. I passed out.

Lol lesson learned. Don't forget to breathe when you're struggling.

_Isaac

Doh that's horrible.

Worst thing happen to me is like a year ago I was attempting 405 for the first time and I struggled. Honestly I should have dropped it cuz my form went all to shit but I wanted it so I lock out and everything went black and then I woke up on the floor. I passed out.

Lol lesson learned. Don't forget to breathe when you're struggling.

What was the lift?

I've noticed I get dizzy a lot from the deadlift, and I know I'm breathing. I try to exhale and inhale when I'm at the bottom.

abuC

weak? their lifts seem pretty solid for the most part. and they actually have good form on damn near every exercise they do, unlike most other Youtubers.

Not really weak, but for the amount of time they've been lifting and the amount of shit they talk I expected more.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Do people really throw up when getting hit in the balls? I thought that was only in the movies.

It's not just about getting hit in the balls. If the pain response is that quick and intense it can bring on nausea.
I was walking in an icy parking lot about six months after getting my ankle rebuilt. Ligaments on the outside of ankle had been fixed.
I was walking in between some cars and rolled my ankle on a piece of ice. When I fell I fell onto the hood of a small car. I was trying to gather myself as the pain hit 11 outta 10 and I threw up all over the hood. I was super embarrassed. Some poor person was gonna come outta bestbuy after doing some Christmas shopping and find their car covered in vomit.
I have thrown up four different times due to pain and only twice were testiclularly involved.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What a great find to help in getting my protein intake up, this has 18g protein, 4g carbs, 0g fat, 97kcal / pot and is cheap too.

rby-summer-skinny-fridge-yogurt-mdn.jpg

SeanR1221

today was the first time ever I didn't use gloves in a gym session, at all. OHP with bare hands, dumbbell shoulder press too, felt good. I'll see how long I can go without using them.

but I think I'll keep them for pullups, the fucking rubber handles is what hurts the skin bad, not the metal.

Yessssss yesssssss come to the gloveless side.

m-bison-yes-o.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
What a great find to help in getting my protein intake up, this has 18g protein, 4g carbs, 0g fat, 97kcal / pot and is cheap too.

rby-summer-skinny-fridge-yogurt-mdn.jpg

Hrnmm. Those stats seem wrong. Most servings of fat free geek yogurt have 20-23g protein and 9g sugar, but that's for an 8oz serving. Maybe this is a smaller cup.

Davidion

Hrnmm. Those stats seem wrong. Most servings of fat free geek yogurt have 20-23g protein and 9g sugar, but that's for an 8oz serving. Maybe this is a smaller cup.

Man, I don't know what crack greek yogurt you've been eating but every serving of pretty much all of the major yogurt products that I've seen, including Fage and Chobani, tops out at 16-18 grams of proteins.

If you really have some 23g protein/serving yogurt somewhere, SHARE THE WEALTH.

Need advice here. I've been working out for about three years in a gym, 3-4 days a week. I usually focus on chest, biceps, triceps, abs and shoulders. I go through phases where I do leg work and mix in other things for a while. I've never really done cardio. But anyway, my question is, how important are full fledged rest days? I want to move toward working a different muscle group pretty much every day. Is working out every day really that bad? I also want to start getting a cardio day in there. I undoubtedly will have a day or two a week that I won't be able to fit a work out in. But when I do manage to, is working out daily really that bad? I don't plan on doing the same muscles every day. I'll probably do one workout where I focus on a given muscle, then hit it as secondary later in the week. Advice?

theytookourjobz

Need advice here. I've been working out for about three years in a gym, 3-4 days a week. I usually focus on chest, biceps, triceps, abs and shoulders. I go through phases where I do leg work and mix in other things for a while. I've never really done cardio. But anyway, my question is, how important are full fledged rest days? I want to move toward working a different muscle group pretty much every day. Is working out every day really that bad? I also want to start getting a cardio day in there. I undoubtedly will have a day or two a week that I won't be able to fit a work out in. But when I do manage to, is working out daily really that bad? I don't plan on doing the same muscles every day. I'll probably do one workout where I focus on a given muscle, then hit it as secondary later in the week. Advice?

You should follow one of the programs in the OP and rest when it says to. These are tried and true and if you actually follow them as prescribed, you will see more gains than if you work out every day doing your own thing.

IceCold

Less is more. You need to give time for your body to heal, otherwise you'll just plateau early and won't see any gain.

sphinx

the piano man

you are already going 4 days a week to a gym, you should be to able to fit everything you need in there, (including legs, which you seem to negelct a bit, if I understood correctly) even with a program or routine template done by yourself.

how exactly do you assign the muscle groups to those 3.4 days? what I don't understand is why you want more days in the gym per week, what for.

I know you are not asking for help regarding your workout plan but I am really curious to know what approach you are taking.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally ran out of gas on keto w/lifting, adios keto! Yesterday was a goddamn struggle and I was spent for the rest of the day. I think it's time we said goodbye. You served your purpose.

bought a 35 oz of this. its 23g Protein

open-nature-frozen-yogurt-179015.jpg

then I mix them with Open Nature Greek Frozen Yogurt Honey Ice Cream (6g of Protein).

yum

Greek Frozen Yogurt! What is this!?
Where did you procure this treasure!!

Finally ran out of gas on keto w/lifting, adios keto! Yesterday was a goddamn struggle and I was spent for the rest of the day. I think it's time we said goodbye. You served your purpose.

It was bound to happen.

It's been two and a half years since I suffered a spiral fracture at the hands of an experienced wrestler, in my first Jiu-Jitsu tournament. I didn't tap (give up) to his armbar technique, and my bone shattered like a spiral. I was cut open and had a 20 cm metal plate inserted.

But the strength has never returned. I'm not just weak, I can't hold a frying pan with my left arm, I can't open a door with my left arm. It's functioning, and moving but it's extremely weak. It seems to be the nerve damage. When they cut through the muscle tissue.. It just will never be okay.

Doctors have not been supportive. Between the "don't get hurt dummy" and "no fix, lol" I have been growing impatient with the lack of understanding as I don't know how to rehabilitate my arm. It affects my Martial Arts and my general life.

A friend told me to join a gym and find a pilates instructor. I read a bit about it, and does seems like it's designed to heal injuries. Does anyone here have experience with Pilates? I've seen girls on balls in tight yoga pants do pilates but I don't know anything about it. I've also been thinking about Yoga, actually.

The idea of joining a gym seems fun. I don't like just freestyling the weights by myself, but it would be cool if you could meet new people and become friends on various programs inside a gym, like Pilates. Plus, I have a legitimate reason to go to Pilates, and not to look at poo-tang.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It was bound to happen.

Yeah, walked the dog for a half hour yesterday afternoon and got upstairs (I live on the third floor of an apartment) and I was just gassed and wanted to sleep. "Oh yeah, I can't maintain this level of vigor." so I went to the store and bought some normal food for once. I should be feeling better next workout day (Mon)

CrankyJay

Banned
Its radiating to your arms??
Thats very strange.

Hell yes it is...unless it's unrelated because I pinched my neck due to increased laying on the floor with my head propped on a pillow. lol

So here's the series of events...

1. A month ago...left hip pain when walking/standing
2. That pain went away, but now I have right hip pain when sitting
3. This morning, went shopping, some tingling now in my hands on both sides.

Will make a appointment tomorrow, hopefully they can see me soon. Was going to go back to the gym but it appears not now.

The Chef

Hell yes it is...unless it's unrelated because I pinched my neck due to increased laying on the floor with my head propped on a pillow. lol

Will make a appointment tomorrow, hopefully they can see me soon. Was going to go back to the gym but it appears not now.

Dang just from walking around you got tingling?
Yikes man, hope everything is ok.

The pain all came out of nowhere?

CrankyJay

Banned
The pain all came out of nowhere?

Not sure if it came from me doing deadlifts (probably improperly) a month or so ago or carrying my infant on one side constantly, etc.

There was no acute injury during this though (like nothing popped or snapped).

I'm hoping additional rest and prescribed PT/exercise will take care of this.

At first I had all the classic symptoms of piriformis syndrome but none of the stretches or exercises were giving me much relief. I did a bunch yesterday...I wonder if that made it worse.

Popped a 600mg ibuprofin for some anti-inflammation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it came from me doing deadlifts (probably improperly) a month or so ago or carrying my infant on one side constantly, etc.

At first I had all the classic symptoms of piriformis syndrome but none of the stretches or exercises were giving me much relief. I did a bunch yesterday...I wonder if that made it worse.

Be careful, and I know it will be frustrating but like you said, stay outta the gym. :(

How bad is the pain just discomfort or varying levels?

CrankyJay

Banned
How bad is the pain just discomfort or varying levels?

Mostly just discomfort, especially when sitting. It varies tho.

Just odd how it switched legs on me...makes me think disc herniation but I'm not a professional, it's possible I made the other leg act up by putting extra weight on it.

Mostly just discomfort, especially when sitting. It varies tho.

Just odd how it switched legs on me...makes me think disc herniation but I'm not a professional, it's possible I made the other leg act up by putting extra weight on it.

Man Jay I hope you get it sorted out. Just don't google it the only diagnosis they can give is that you will likely be dead in 3 days

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Carb nite aftermath... I feel awful and bloated.

Is this normal lol?

I had one last night, kinda kicking off my goodbye-keto week.

I feel fine :( But it is normal to feel kinda shit. Bloat is definitely there.

CrankyJay

Banned
Man Jay I hope you get it sorted out. Just don't google it the only diagnosis they can give is that you will likely be dead in 3 days

Not going to screw around with this one...will call the doc's tomorrow.

Just going to have to clean up my diet a lot if I'm going to be out of the gym. =(

Demon Ice

Banned
That sounds like a herniated disk impinging a nerve root if it's sending tingling down your arms, definitely get that looked into. Although if it's from deadlifting improperly I'd expect the disk herniation to be more in the lower thoracic / lumbar area. Maybe the arm tingling is unrelated, was that just a one time thing?

Darren870

I personally think everyone is different. I am the same as you, minus missing legs since I loveeee leg day, but I go to the gym 6 days a week. Sometimes twice a day.

For me the gym is a way to escape from the BS of work and the BS of life. Since I go so much I am not going to dead lift and squat as much and I do like to fit in my fair share of isolation exercises. Sure I am not huge like some of the guys here, but I am also not trying to be. I've been lifting on and off for 7 years now (mostly on) and know how to get the gains I want and know what when to rest properly. My biggest downfall always has been and always will be my diet. Which I am really trying to fix for the first time now and really try to understand how certain foods impact your muscle growth and recovery. However, that is its own battle.

I think the most important part though is really understanding compound vs isolation. DL, OHP, Squats (basically SS) are fully body workouts. Where curls aren't. Example: A lot of back workouts work your biceps so it wouldn't make sense to follow a back day with an arm day.

I think if you can make a routine to fit in both and give your body enough rest that is the key. You might go to the gym 5-6 days a week, but you probably don't want to lift every day. Sometimes I just go to stretch or light jog or some random other workout. Other days I will do HIIT, other days I will curl like its my f'n job.

Most people here will probably disagree with me, for various reasons which some may be 100% legit, but I think its more on what YOU want to achieve out of the gym. For me its a place to release my frustration and if I am doing an isolation exercise or just stretching I am achieving my goal.

Bro's I am dead.

Did Weak Point Training for 100 reps:

1) Incline bench SS Wide Grip Pullups

Incline: 155lbs - 100 Reps*

Wide Grip: 100 Reps*

2) Military Press SS Bent over Cable Rear Delt Raise

Military: 40lbs - 100 Reps*

Rear Delt Raise: 20lbs - 100 Reps*

3) Dumbbell Curls SS Weighted Dips

Curls: 35lbs - 100 Reps*

Dips: Weighted 25lbs - 100 Reps*

4) Forearm Rope Twists SS Shrugs

Forearm: Rope 20lbs - 100 Reps*

Shrugs: 225lbs - 100 Reps*

*No stripping. Minimum 10 reps per set utilizing rest/pause to hit remaining reps.

800 Reps total in 55 Minutes.

I can't even begin to explain how awful it is hitting 100 reps and then knowing you have to do it all over again with another workout.
I am so jacked up.

Ultimatum

Banned
Bro's I am dead.

Did Weak Point Training for 100 reps:

800 Reps total in 55 Minutes.

I can't even begin to explain how awful it is hitting 100 reps and then knowing you have to do it all over again with another workout.
I am so jacked up.

what's the point of it? as in what is it meant to be training? it just sounds like a recipe for soreness lol

Most people here will probably disagree with me, for various reasons which some may be 100% legit, but I think its more on what YOU want to achieve out of the gym. For me its a place to release my frustration and if I am doing an isolation exercise or just stretching I am achieving my goal.

Oh yeah I only really life probably 3 days a week. My additional workouts are at home yoga-esque stuff. I guess I should clarify that. And like you, working out for me is stress relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom