• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can you guys recommend a good watch? Requirements:
-gps distance tracking (elevation bonus)
-heart rate
-display (so no fit it etc.)
-thin wrists so bonus if not super bulky

Thanks!

sphinx

the piano man
messing around some more with the gifcam thing.

here my warm-up prior to barbell squat.

pistolsquat_zpsd843695b.gif

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Hell yes it is...unless it's unrelated because I pinched my neck due to increased laying on the floor with my head propped on a pillow. lol

So here's the series of events...

1. A month ago...left hip pain when walking/standing
2. That pain went away, but now I have right hip pain when sitting
3. This morning, went shopping, some tingling now in my hands on both sides.

Will make a appointment tomorrow, hopefully they can see me soon. Was going to go back to the gym but it appears not now.

Just to ease your mind I went through a similar series of symptoms a couple of years back.

Hurt my back on the left side. Lots of spasms but after a month I was back moving ok.
Five months after that hurt my back but the pain was in my right. Tons of spasms. Lots of pain. Started doing the same stretches and exercises I was given for the other injury.
About two weeks post injury I was driving home and I was getting tingling all up my back and then down my arms. The worst of it was I had almost zero feeling in the pinkie and ring finger on my right hand. I could pinch and bite the finger tips and very minimal feeling.

I was pretty scared. Turned out I had several herniated disc in my back. Nothing that required surgery but it wasn't life threatening.

And yes keep your diet clean man. I made the mistake of eating poorly and gaining weight. Rehabbing back injuries while gaining weight is very counter productive.

Good luck man. Hope it doesn't get worse and all will be well.

blackflag

lenovox1

Can you guys recommend a good watch? Requirements:
-gps distance tracking (elevation bonus)
-heart rate
-display (so no fit it etc.)
-thin wrists so bonus if not super bulky

Thanks!

How much are you looking to spend?

The Garmin Forerunner 210 is kind of the standard in that area--most accurate GPS, fastest, good software, but it's MSRPs at $249 with heart rate monitor. It's very similar, yet slightly more stylish, older brother (FR110) retails for bit less.

Then there is the Motorola Motoactiv. At $250 (without accessories), it's easily the most functional GPS device for the money. Water resistant color screen, tons of workout features, and more data than anything else will provide you for the price. And on top of that, it plays your MP3s, too. A techies dream.

Where Motorola gets you is the accessories. It doesn't come with a wrist strap. You'd have to but that separately (it does come with a clip). It doesn't include a heart rate monitor, but it is compatible with most ANT+ devices.

harSon

Banned
Purchased a box of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest Bars, and a box of Chocolate Brownie, and Jesus fucking Christ are those things WAY to fucking delicious for what's in them. I fully expect to see one of those "Have you or a loved one..." commercials down the line for these things hahaha

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the recs, money isn't really an issue if I can hit those key points. Definitely been looking at the Garmin. Thus just seems to be an area where devices Max out at four stars because of Ali the different needs people have. Having the same issue looking for good workout headphones actually.

Realyst

Fit-GAF, question:

I have bad knees. Basically, it's like I have no cartilage left in either of them. Because of this, leg day is always an issue for me. The following are the only leg exercises I'm able to do currently (that I know of):

- deadlifts
- leg curls
- calf raises
- elliptical (cardio)

My question is, do you think the above is sufficient for both strength and aesthetics? Are there other leg exercises I can do that won't be so bad on my knees? I wish I could do press, squats, and leg extensions, but I will be screaming in pain afterwards!

Please help! Thanks folks!

sphinx

the piano man
Thats some excellent form man. You have great balance

I like them :)

I used to do a lot of them last year, but since I started squatting properly, I had to put them somewhere else, so now I use them to "wake up" my legs, 2 sets 8 reps each leg.

the thing about pistol squats is that you need a strong lower back and you have to focus on putting your weight on the leg that is on the floor, going straight down leads to failure in my case.

and I am still trying to perfect it, I'd love to be able to keep the free leg completely straight at all times, its HARD, very, very fucking hard, I can't.

EDIT: and they are GREAT for your butt ;) best move for your glutes, by far.

damn that's a lot of reps

I do them to warm up sometimes but my form is a lot more messy

dude, you know that's a gif on a loop right? lol

Imm0rt4l

Fit-GAF, question:

I have bad knees. Basically, it's like I have no cartilage left in either of them. Because of this, leg day is always an issue for me. The following are the only leg exercises I'm able to do currently (that I know of):

- deadlifts
- leg curls
- calf raises
- elliptical (cardio)

My question is, do you think the above is sufficient for both strength and aesthetics? Are there other leg exercises I can do that won't be so bad on my knees? I wish I could do press, squats, and leg extensions, but I will be screaming in pain afterwards!

Please help! Thanks folks!
Given that you're able to do upper bodywork think this will suffice for aesthetics for sure. Strength not so much aside from the deadlift which is a great workout for pretty much everything. Maybe there are some other good machines you can do like leg presses/hacksquat

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck people who think this shit is easy for us because we are genetically predisposed to it and hard for them because of the exact opposite reason.

Felt like quitting during my 2nd warm up set today on dead lifts and still went balls deep in that shit.

Fuck the weak minded.

Realyst

Given that you're able to do upper bodywork think this will suffice for aesthetics for sure. Strength not so much aside from the deadlift which is a great workout for pretty much everything. Maybe there are some other good machines you can do like leg presses/hacksquat

Thanks, man! I'm majorly concerned about whether or not my quads will see a change with only my list of exercises. I've tried the general leg press as a substitute for squats, but the sharp pain from the grinding hit me mid rep. I'll probably try the hacksquat tonight, but man does it look painful!

grumble

Fuck people who think this shit is easy for us because we are genetically predisposed to it and hard for them because of the exact opposite reason.

Felt like quitting during my 2nd warm up set today on dead lifts and still went balls deep in that shit.

Fuck the weak minded.

Totally agree, nothing makes me rage more than 'but it's easy for you, you're genetically lucky', and dismiss my accomplishments and rationalize their laziness. I am not genetically lucky. I'm average. Everything I've achieved in this hobby has been due to willpower and honest effort, and people dismissing that is offensive.

andycapps

It's been two and a half years since I suffered a spiral fracture at the hands of an experienced wrestler, in my first Jiu-Jitsu tournament. I didn't tap (give up) to his armbar technique, and my bone shattered like a spiral. I was cut open and had a 20 cm metal plate inserted.

But the strength has never returned. I'm not just weak, I can't hold a frying pan with my left arm, I can't open a door with my left arm. It's functioning, and moving but it's extremely weak. It seems to be the nerve damage. When they cut through the muscle tissue.. It just will never be okay.

Doctors have not been supportive. Between the "don't get hurt dummy" and "no fix, lol" I have been growing impatient with the lack of understanding as I don't know how to rehabilitate my arm. It affects my Martial Arts and my general life.

A friend told me to join a gym and find a pilates instructor. I read a bit about it, and does seems like it's designed to heal injuries. Does anyone here have experience with Pilates? I've seen girls on balls in tight yoga pants do pilates but I don't know anything about it. I've also been thinking about Yoga, actually.

The idea of joining a gym seems fun. I don't like just freestyling the weights by myself, but it would be cool if you could meet new people and become friends on various programs inside a gym, like Pilates. Plus, I have a legitimate reason to go to Pilates, and not to look at poo-tang.
I used to love your threads so props for that. You're in the wrong thread for Pilates advice. Maybe try p90x and try the thread for that if that's the type of thing you're after.

thomaser

Anyone else having problems with "sleeping" limbs? I notice that after a period of frequent heavy training, the blood-flow to my arms and legs is hindered more often than usual when sleeping or sitting. Often makes me wake up at night. It almost feels as if the muscles try to grow bigger, but have no room to grow in. I know that sounds silly, but it feels that way :) It's especially noticeable in the triceps/biceps area and shoulders.

Chittagong

Gold Member
what the ... fuck is that...4 or 3 reps with what looks like 25% (being nice) ROM on the squat? the structure is about to collapse? and that guy has a shirt with the word "Trainer" on it? holy shit, what a bizzare place.

Haha, my thoughts exactly, in that very order. There is something sad, impressive, depressing, hilarious, disproportionate and bizarre about it, the video has a full spectrum of emotions in it.

PBY

Banned
That little finger flick help on the way up on bench is my biggest fucking pet peeve. STOP TOUCHING THE DAMN BAR.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Fuck the weak minded.
I touched on this a few days ago. It's frustrating to hear and almost is a backhanded dig at your work ethic. Then again it might just be another way to heap praise on someone you admire. I'm still not sure which side I fall on.

blackflag

I think that was the first time I ever saw a deadlift level machine in a gym.... Maybe it's just me, but it looks like that machine is just begging to herniate someone's disks.

We have one at our gym. It just sits there taking up space 99.9% of the time.

Well actually I see it being used for shrugs but we have a different, slightly better ma June for that.

Only time I seem someone dead lifting it their back looked like a damn question mark (?)

WorldStar

Banned
Where the hell are ya'll getting those Quest bars?

Checked a few shops this weekend hoping to try a few flavors before I buy some boxes online.

Couldn't find any at any B&M store.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Totally agree, nothing makes me rage more than 'but it's easy for you, you're genetically lucky', and dismiss my accomplishments and rationalize their laziness. I am not genetically lucky. I'm average. Everything I've achieved in this hobby has been due to willpower and honest effort, and people dismissing that is offensive.

Lazy weak minded pussies.

I touched on this a few days ago. It's frustrating to hear and almost is a backhanded dig at your work ethic. Then again it might just be another way to heap praise on someone you admire. I'm still not sure which side I fall on.

I'd rather someone assume I take steroids than assume my genetics simply allow me to be more awesome than they are.

At least if someone says you're taking steroids you know you're a fucking animal. With the other situation they are making excuses for why you're successful and why they are a pile of shit.

blackflag

Fuck tried to buy a suit today. Basically got laughed at. They said I gonna have to get one custom made...wtf? Tailored of course but custom made? Surely that isn't true.

Gonna look online and see what others say. Fuck I hate shopping for clothes.

CrankyJay

Banned
Fuck tried to buy a suit today. Basically got laughed at. They said I gonna have to get one custom made...wtf? Tailored of course but custom made? Surely that isn't true.

Gonna look online and see what others say. Fuck I hate shopping for clothes.

Get it tailored man. It's superior in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom