• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrarh

Fuck tried to buy a suit today. Basically got laughed at. They said I gonna have to get one custom made...wtf? Tailored of course but custom made? Surely that isn't true.

Gonna look online and see what others say. Fuck I hate shopping for clothes.

http://www.indochino.com/

My friend got a custom tailored coat from there and it looks great. Not sure on the suits but they appear to be good.

SeanR1221

Fuck tried to buy a suit today. Basically got laughed at. They said I gonna have to get one custom made...wtf? Tailored of course but custom made? Surely that isn't true.

Gonna look online and see what others say. Fuck I hate shopping for clothes.

That's when you know you've made it.

blackflag

That indochino site is pretty sick. Think ill use them from now on. Going to the store for anything other than tshirts, jeans, and shorts is a nightmare for me both because of my size and my lack of fashion sense.

moocow

We have one at our gym. It just sits there taking up space 99.9% of the time.

Well actually I see it being used for shrugs but we have a different, slightly better ma June for that.

Only time I seem someone dead lifting it their back looked like a damn question mark (?)

Thanks, I was actually going over an internal debate as to whether I would actually try one of those if I ever saw it. This is making me feel more comfortable with my answer of no.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That was an awesome read. I know a lot of those feels, especially the airplane and neck.

Also lol at this:

"“What’s deadlifting again?”

“It’s that test I told you about. It helps to determine whether or not you’re a man.”

The truth in that final statement is timeless.

abuC

Squats yesterday = sore legs today. It would be nice to dunk on a 10' goal this summer.

Are you a one foot jumper, or a two foot jumper?

If you want to jump higher, do box squats and also use bands/chains. Move away from heavy weights and go for explosiveness when you squat, move the weight quickly.

WorldStar

Banned
Cottage cheese is a godsend

labelL193311.gif

my fav. snack

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I found out I won't be able to hit the gym tomorrow so I did a late-night workout. Kicked my ASS. Glad I did it though.

Came home, decided to split my usual 8-Ball post workout shake with my roommate's 100% vegan "Shakeology" protein. Jesus H Christ don't touch Shakeology, it almost ruined the whole thing. Still choking it down. Fuck you vegans (not really, just upset)!

WorldStar

Banned
dat sodium

Anyone healthy at my age doesn't need to worry about 440 mg of sodium.

I drink a shit ton of water and have healthy blood pressure. But yeah if your blood pressure isn't in check you should prob watch your sodium intake.

EDIT: I think those Quest bars have close to 400 mg of sodium. It really isn't a big deal.

quest-bar-ingredients-chocolate_brownie.jpg
quest-bar-ingredients-peanut_butter_and_jelly.jpg

WorldStar

Banned
Power Crunch > Quest bars. There, I said it.
in terms of flavor/texture, not nutritional value

I've actually never ate a protein bar before, so I'm open to all suggestions!

I saw some Cliff Builder bars on sale the other day, the protein content seemed to be decent but IIRC it has A LOT of calories.

agrajag

Banned

I saw some Cliff Builder bars on sale the other day, the protein content seemed to be decent but IIRC it has A LOT of calories.

Power Crunch are amazing because it tastes nothing like your typical protein bar. It's a wafer bar with a sweet filling and that's exactly what it tastes like. Not a fucking dense protein bar that's all dry and chewy. If you treat it like a candy bar when you're craving one, it's great. The only protein bar that is legit tasty imo.

Imm0rt4l

I've been fucking up all weekend. Lots of drinking and eating with little regard for macros, I'm a bloated mess. I'm ending this with an epic meal at Benihanas. As penance for this malfeasance I will attempt to squat 405 4x5 tomorrow and do a couple rounds of hiit,including insanity throughout the week. Give me strength fitgaf

rando14

I've been fucking up all weekend. Lots of drinking and eating with little regard for macros, I'm a bloated mess. I'm ending this with an epic meal at Benihanas. As penance for this malfeasance I will attempt to squat 405 4x5 tomorrow and do a couple rounds of hiit,including insanity throughout the week. Give me strength faiths.

ibjscdNfC1IV4i.gif

Show that weight who's boss, and all eating sins are absolved, here in the Church of FitGAF. :)

abuC

Thanks, seems like good advice. I've also been thinking about giving this a try tomorrow (or when I'm able to squat again lol): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIoRhLrmxM8

That looks like a good routine, I'd leave the deadlift burpees alone though, nothing good can come from transitioning a fast movement into a deadlift IMO. Do box jumps to track your progress too.

I've been fucking up all weekend. Lots of drinking and eating with little regard for macros, I'm a bloated mess. I'm ending this with an epic meal at Benihanas. As penance for this malfeasance I will attempt to squat 405 4x5 tomorrow and do a couple rounds of hiit,including insanity throughout the week. Give me strength fitgaf

Thought I was the only one on here that actually used Insanity, not bad for cutting.

I think Clif builders chocolate mint taste better than all the Quest bars outside of cookie dough, but there's a lot more sugar and they use soy protein bits so I only eat as a treat.

abuC

Went to a small get together, and saw some family friends that haven't seen me since December, they all said I looked great.

9aocv76tuax.gif

Such a good feeling to know the hard work is now really becoming visible, even though to me I look the same as I did last year.

Imm0rt4l

That looks like a good routine, I'd leave the deadlift burpees alone though, nothing good can come from transitioning a fast movement into a deadlift IMO. Do box jumps to track your progress too.

Thought I was the only one on here that actually used Insanity, not bad for cutting.
nah you're not alone definitely a great tool. Nothing makes me break a sweat quite like it. I'd rather use it sparingly though cuz fuck Shaun t and that chick tanya for being such a beast.

ibjscdNfC1IV4i.gif

Show that weight who's boss, and all eating sins are absolved, here in the Church of FitGAF. :)
Thank you for your mercy and I fully intend to make the weight my bitch :mad:

Darren870

We have one at our gym. It just sits there taking up space 99.9% of the time.

Well actually I see it being used for shrugs but we have a different, slightly better ma June for that.

Only time I seem someone dead lifting it their back looked like a damn question mark (?)

Have the same thing at ours. I've seen it at a few places. Every time though...shrugs. Never seen anyone attempt a DL on it.

Demon Ice

Banned
What is a better indication of proper bench press form, the bar touching the chest for each rep or the arms being below parallel to the ground? I'm asking because I have fairly long arms, so they're pretty far below parallel by the time the bar touches my chest, and I'm paranoid about rotator cuff problems.

Edit: 6'2" with just over a 6'5" arm span.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Thanks, man! I'm majorly concerned about whether or not my quads will see a change with only my list of exercises. I've tried the general leg press as a substitute for squats, but the sharp pain from the grinding hit me mid rep. I'll probably try the hacksquat tonight, but man does it look painful!

Are you able to do the top half of a squat motion without pain? I was taught to do what I call "drop squats". I don't know if that's the correct term for them.
Holding a dumbbell in each hand, feet shoulder width apart (basically the starting position for any squat) you quickly release muscle tension, drop and then flex and catch yourself approximately a quarter of the way into the squat range of motion. Stand up to beginning point again.
The range of motion is small. And I thought the move was dumb until I got the hang of it and learned how to do it properly.
The goal is to engage the quads (especially the Vastus Medialis) with the catch without putting a lot of stress on the knee joint itself.
I was having issues with cartilage in my left knee and was losing quad strength near the knee. This is the exercise I was given. It helps.

Hack squat will likely hate you if leg press was bad.
Can you ride a bike? Thats great exercise for your legs.
Do you take any fish oil supplements or joint specific supps?

Darren870

Did kettlebells for the first time this morning. Damn that shit is intense and different, it definitely improves stability a lot for other lifts as well.

Some of the motions seem awkward, but I am going to try and keep it up as I did enjoy it.

The Chef

I tried Kettlebells a while back. Doing several full gym days using them and personally, for my goals, I they are seriously a waste of time and energy.
I do sometimes use kettlebells just to warm up my shoulders but thats pretty much it.

sphinx

the piano man
after months going to my gym, I can say the most valuable thing there is the mini-plates for micro increments. There are a total of four 1.25 kgs (2.75 pounds) in the whole free weight zone and they are priceless to me.

Ever since I started writing down what weight I lift in every set in every exercise, I 've been more conscious and aware of where I stand and I it's easy to not get in a confort zone and to know where I have stalled or reached a plateau.

I have added weight to every exercise I do for the last 4 weeks but particularly with the squat, I have been adding 5 kilograms every week to it for the last 4 sessions, and feels awesome. I have a different mindset when I am aware that "THIS is the set, so concentrate, fuck everything else and do it". This combined with this reference thing in www.strstd.com and I am really pushing myself good to get more strenght. It's exciting because if I manage to pull it off and add another 5 kgs in the next squat session, I'd be near intermediate level :O

Am I the only one who writes down stuff? I am always moving around with water, towel, pencil and a blank post-it and the post-it from the last session to know what exactly I did last time.

On SS, what should a typical warm-up look like? I know I increase weight on each exercise by 10/5 lbs depending. But I know I don't just throw it on after squatting the bar a few times do I?

Petrie

Banned
What a weekend. Saturday was 5000 calories worth of McGriddles, Duff's wings, and fried everything. Sunday was another 4500 worth of meatballs, burgers, hot dogs, cake, more cake, and mac n cheese.

That's as many calories as I eat in some weeks if I'm cutting and on a rest week.

Holy shit.

Then I remember I used to eat like that all the time.

What was wrong with me?!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who writes down stuff? I am always moving around with water, towel, pencil and a blank post-it and the post-it from the last session to know what exactly I did last time.

I write down everything too. Tracking how many reps of each set and the weight. I'm early on into SS (1 month in) so I'm making sure every week the numbers go up across the board.

What a weekend. Saturday was 5000 calories worth of McGriddles, Duff's wings, and fried everything. Sunday was another 4500 worth of meatballs, burgers, hot dogs, cake, more cake, and mac n cheese.

That's as many calories as I eat in some weeks if I'm cutting and on a rest week.

Holy shit.

Then I remember I used to eat like that all the time.

What was wrong with me?!

Yuuuup. I was slamming down 6k calories daily and doing jack shit. I can't even...you know how it is. You're like WHAT.

Chittagong

Gold Member
On SS, what should a typical warm-up look like? I know I increase weight on each exercise by 10/5 lbs depending. But I know I don't just throw it on after squatting the bar a few times do I?

There are a number of warm up sets (titled 'Warm Up sets' in SS) leading up to the 'Work Set' that is the actual work i.e. 3x5 for all other moves except Deadlift, which is 1x5. The warm up sets start with an empty bar and the weight between the 'Work Set' and empty bar is divided to ramp up gradually. I do also first 2-5 min of rowing before touching a barbell.

There are a number of warm up sets (titled 'Warm Up sets' in SS) leading up to the 'Work Set' that is the actual work i.e. 3x5 for all other moves except Deadlift, which is 1x5. The warm up sets start with an empty bar and the weight between the 'Work Set' and empty bar is divided to ramp up gradually. I do also first 2-5 min of rowing before touching a barbell.

Ok. I'm not actually doing "SS", but the routine listed in the OP as being based upon it. Thanks.

andycapps

Speaking of SS, I was worried about my workout on Saturday as my one Thursday was horrible. I didn't seem to have enough energy for it. So on Saturday I had homemade French toast and a ton of coffee about an hour beforehand. And I crushed the workout. Felt awesome. Several times I was hesitant at the bottom of the squat before I went up, but then I was surprised when I made it back up pretty easily.

I get why everyone recommends against being on a cut on SS, but I think I have a decent compromise which is to eat a good amount of carbs before and after on lift days. Previously I was just doing carbs after, but my body seems to need the fuel before as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom