• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
Man, the keto diet has fucked me up. I think I am done with this and going back to my normal diet. Will just have to clean it up a bit more.

I'm the same - I tried keto a few years back and variations of it since then but I can't live on little or no carbs - I almost passed out driving once and that was like a month into it - well after the keto flu should have passed. I've discovered that high protein and the balance of calories after that from about equal measures of fat and carbs work best for me. Like you say, it's gotta be clean though.

ACE 1991

Does anyone have any recommendations for cutting while on a University meal plan? The food is kind of shit, but I'm looking for kind of way to at least eye ball the portions that I'm eating. 170lb at 5'8'' is a bit much.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cutting while on a University meal plan? The food is kind of shit, but I'm looking for kind of way to at least eye ball the portions that I'm eating. 170lb at 5'8'' is a bit much.

Do you have to eat everything that's in your plates? Think quantity, not quality.

Or cardio.

Darren870

I'm the same - I tried keto a few years back and variations of it since then but I can't live on little or no carbs - I almost passed out driving once and that was like a month into it - well after the keto flu should have passed. I've discovered that high protein and the balance of calories after that from about equal measures of fat and carbs work best for me. Like you say, it's gotta be clean though.

Yea, its been hitting me for a while now. I feel like DEATH today. My gf just shook her head and said I should stop that shit and just do what I always do. Meh, least I got the day off work :)

Been watching some videos this morning on clean eating. I just need to ration my carbs a bit more eg brown rice, sweet potatoes, yams etc. Rather then some of the other crap I tend to put into my mouth.

ACE 1991

Do you have to eat everything that's in your plates? Think quantity, not quality.

Or cardio.

Right... I think a big part of my problem is I overdid my caloric intake on a bulk, it seems like I really don't need to eat more than 400 or so above my TDE. I want to cut, but I barely look like I even lift at this point, so I feel like I'll just be potentially killing my gains and hurting what little muscle I've built since December.

Lift numbers are as follows (5RM)
Squat: 176lb
Bench Press: 148lb
Deadlift: 230lb
OHP: 95lb

Deadly

I just joined the gym and I'm looking to lose weight. I just choose the lose weight function for my cardio routine on the elliptical but I need a weight-lifting routine to do before it. I have no idea what machines to use though.

Height:5'4
Weight: 250
Goal: Ideally? Lose 50 pounds. Realistically? 30 pounds
Current Training Schedule: I only go with my friends but they go often, at least twice a week. 1h a session.
Current Training Equipment Available: I subscribed to the gym so I'd assume everything

Is this thread beginner friendly? Been weight lifting and running with a pal for the last few months but not really seeing much difference, so I'm looking for advice on losing weight and gaining strength at the same time.

Where do I start?

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 199lbs
Goal: Lose weight and gain strength particularly in arms and chest.
Current Training Schedule: 2 to 3 times a week lifting, first thing in mornings and 2 to 3 runs per week @ 5 miles average per run. Flat concrete terrain.
Current Training Equipment Available: Most machines, Smithy machine, free weights
Comments: Not lost a single lb in the last 3 weeks but my diet hasn't been brilliant either. I also go out drinking every other weekend, but this wasn't a problem when I lost 3 stone last year. I drink 2 Whey Isolate protein and creatine shakes per day, including rest days and I have a feeling this isn't enough? The majority of my weight seems to be in my torso/belly and I have the skinniest arms in the world!

I guess what I'm asking is, not including weekends, how many times a week should I dedicate a session to just my arms to see gains quicker? How much protein (in grams) should I be taking in for maximum benefit? I'm going to start tracking my food intake via Calorie Counter, but assuming that I take in between 2000 and 2500, shouldn't the weight be coming down slowly?

ToxicAdam

Had a breakthrough on my bench last night. After being stuck on 2 plates for the past 3 months, I pushed up 245 x 2 and then 255 x 1.

It's those kinds of moments that keep ya going after you plateau for awhile.

SeanR1221

Had a breakthrough on my bench last night. After being stuck on 2 plates for the past 3 months, I pushed up 245 x 2 and then 255 x 1.

It's those kinds of moments that keep ya going after you plateau for awhile.

Nice! I bet you can rep 225 more than you could 3 months ago.

theytookourjobz

Is this thread beginner friendly? Been weight lifting and running with a pal for the last few months but not really seeing much difference, so I'm looking for advice on losing weight and gaining strength at the same time.

Where do I start?

Current Training Schedule: 2 to 3 times a week lifting, first thing in mornings and 2 to 3 runs per week @ 5 miles average per run. Flat concrete terrain.
Current Training Equipment Available: Most machines, Smithy machine, free weights
Comments: Not lost a single lb in the last 3 weeks but my diet hasn't been brilliant either. I also go out drinking every other weekend, but this wasn't a problem when I lost 3 stone last year. I drink 2 Whey Isolate protein and creatine shakes per day, including rest days and I have a feeling this isn't enough? The majority of my weight seems to be in my torso/belly and I have the skinniest arms in the world!

I guess what I'm asking is, not including weekends, how many times a week should I dedicate a session to just my arms to see gains quicker? How much protein (in grams) should I be taking in for maximum benefit? I'm going to start tracking my food intake via Calorie Counter, but assuming that I take in between 2000 and 2500, shouldn't the weight be coming down slowly?

If you want muscle you've gotta lift more than 2-3 times a week. And by lift I mean squat, deadlift, press.

despire

If you want muscle you've gotta lift more than 2-3 times a week. And by lift I mean squat, deadlift, press.

No, 2-3 is optimum for most people since you need to recover also. Even 1x week can work for some, especially older folk. 4x is maximum for most natty people and is already pushing it.

theytookourjobz

Two protein shakes a day is too much, especially on your rest days. Take your creatine but get all your protein from whole foods. You said your diet isn't great sometimes so if you aren't seeing results, that is almost certainly why. Don't dedicate sessions to "arms". If you want to get bigger and more muscular while at the same time losing fat you need to do the compound lifts (throw some pull-ups in there if you want bigger arms) and eat a lot of good foods.

theytookourjobz

No, 2-3 is optimum for most people since you need to recover also. Even 1x week can work for some, especially older folk. 4x is maximum for most natty people and is already pushing it.

Diminishing returns hit quickly after 3 or 4 days. But I still think a beginner should be lifting more than twice a week. Getting comfortable under the bar and perfecting form is something that takes thousands of reps to acquire and that's nigh impossible doing it once or twice a week.

grumble

Where do I start?

1. I'd avoid training bodyparts, as your entire body is a weak point at this stage of your progression. If you have big arms but a skinny chest, legs, back, etc then you'll look kind of weird and not really be as physically capable as you could be. A compound lift focused routine is generally better for people starting out (And should always play a role in your training).

2. Diet is important to fat loss, moreso than exercise. If you think you haven't been keeping a decent handle on it, then you might want to tighten it up a bit. No need to be totally anal about it, but you should be consistent. Drinking won't cripple you, but try to keep frequency and volume down (ie three beers, not ten). I'm a big fan of tracking your food intake, at least for a couple of weeks to learn what your diet is really like. Most people are surprised.

3. If you've been drinking creatine, you'll see some water weight gain. That means that you may have lost some non-water weight if you still weigh the same. Do you look any different in the mirror?

4. A good rule for protein is 1g/lb of weight per day. You can probably go a little lower and be okay, but you want a buffer. This includes real food and protein shakes.

grumble

Right... I think a big part of my problem is I overdid my caloric intake on a bulk, it seems like I really don't need to eat more than 400 or so above my TDE. I want to cut, but I barely look like I even lift at this point, so I feel like I'll just be potentially killing my gains and hurting what little muscle I've built since December.

Lift numbers are as follows (5RM)
Squat: 176lb
Bench Press: 148lb
Deadlift: 230lb
OHP: 95lb

I wouldn't do a full cut when your weights are still pretty low. What you should try is to maintain your weight and drive your weights up. Only increase calories when you stall out. At this stage in your training, you can probably squeeze out some body recomposition. When your weights are something like this:

Squat: 315
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 335
OHP: 135

Then you'll have a strong base of muscle and might think about a cut down if desired.

grumble

I just joined the gym and I'm looking to lose weight. I just choose the lose weight function for my cardio routine on the elliptical but I need a weight-lifting routine to do before it. I have no idea what machines to use though.

Current Training Schedule: I only go with my friends but they go often, at least twice a week. 1h a session.
Current Training Equipment Available: I subscribed to the gym so I'd assume everything

My assumption is that you want to lose fat, not just weight. To accomplish that goal, you'll really want to strength train. The reason for that is that if you only do cardio, you'll burn both muscle and fat off, so I agree with the need for a weight routine.

So if you want to lose 50 pounds of fat, it's totally doable. Just takes a while. Budget 6-12 months for it.

If you go twice a week (non consecutive days, like mon-thurs), here's something that I did for a while:

Warm up 5 minutes on rowing machine, do warm up sets for movements.

Day 1:

Bench 4x5
Squats 4x5
Chinups 3xfailure
Dips 3xfailure

Day 2:

Overhead Press 4x5
Deadlifts 2x5
Pullups 3xfailure
Bicep Curls 3x8

Every time you do an exercise, add a bit of weight. Read up on form as well.

SeanR1221

I wouldn't do a full cut when your weights are still pretty low. What you should try is to maintain your weight and drive your weights up. Only increase calories when you stall out. At this stage in your training, you can probably squeeze out some body recomposition. When your weights are something like this:

Squat: 315
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 335
OHP: 135

Then you'll have a strong base of muscle and might think about a cut down if desired.

This is great advice. I tried to cut with numbers like his and I had weird results.

Now my numbers are just like you listed and I've checked my diet a little more and I'm seeing great results.

Building a strong base is a great idea.

Mully

There are more qualified people in this thread to tell you what to do, but keep doing what you're doing right now. Get used to the equipment at the gym and start looking into Starting Strength.

Also continue to eat clean. Find out your bmr and shave off a few calories.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try to get in more gym sessions but as I'm currently training for a half marathon, I tend to do it the day after my gym day, so that's 6 days a week I'm doing something.

I go down the gym with a mate who's already massive, but doesn't do any compound lifts apart from bench press. I can't do any pullups yet, but I've just bought a pull up bar to practice on.

One more question, if I weigh 199lbs, am I supposed to have at least 90g of protein per day? How much of that should be from shakes?

rando14

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try to get in more gym sessions but as I'm currently training for a half marathon, I tend to do it the day after my gym day, so that's 6 days a week I'm doing something.

I go down the gym with a mate who's already massive, but doesn't do any compound lifts apart from bench press. I can't do any pullups yet, but I've just bought a pull up bar to practice on.

One more question, if I weigh 199lbs, am I supposed to have at least 90g of protein per day? How much of that should be from shakes?

for building muscle youll probably want about 150 g protein a day or so

any amount can be from shakes, its not that serious. for example, Ive been lifting for years and I dont drink protein shakes at all.

blackflag

A lot of bioscience in here this morning. You can have more than 1 shake a day if you want, it's not going to impede your weight loss...how would that even be possible? Just make sure you hit your macros. Sure, something like chicken is gonna keep you fuller but if you are hitting your macros on both it doesn't matter. Make sure you are getting enough whole food to get all your vitamins and minerals though.

No shakes
1 shake
2 shakes
Whatever it's up to you just hit your macros.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of macros, those of you working on Starting Strength's program, what are your macros at and how long have you been doing it? I want to see what others have been up to along with their body composition.

Bit-Bit

So I've been training for the Never Quit Warrior Challenge.

I've gotten 80 pushups with no rest within 2 minutes, followed immediately by 11 pullups, then rest for two minutes and do 80 sit ups in 2 minutes.

The pushups and pullups I've gotten down packed. But the situps have been a big issue for me. At the speed that I'm going, I can manage 70 situps during that two minute window. Any tips on how to increase my situps speed? Wider legs? Closer bent knees? Or maybe don't touch my head to the ground?

Edit: I know situps are bad for you and they aren't normally part of my calisthenics routine but I'm only training them for the competition and then I'll go back to hanging leg raises.

A lot of bioscience in here this morning. You can have more than 1 shake a day if you want, it's not going to impede your weight loss...how would that even be possible? Just make sure you hit your macros. Sure, something like chicken is gonna keep you fuller but if you are hitting your macros on both it doesn't matter. Make sure you are getting enough whole food to get all your vitamins and minerals though.

No shakes
1 shake
2 shakes
Whatever it's up to you just hit your macros.

Eat a box of Quest Bars if you want!
I really could.

Real question. I want to trim some fat while doing SS. Will sprinting 2-3 times a week screw up my squats/deadlifts?

ToxicAdam

. Any tips on how to increase my situps speed? Wider legs? Closer bent knees? Or maybe don't touch my head to the ground?

Edit: I know situps are bad for you and they aren't normally part of my calisthenics routine but I'm only training them for the competition and then I'll go back to hanging leg raises.

Why even do them? Just do crunches instead, you are getting the same benefit from them.

If it feels too easy, mix in some bicycle crunches to up the challenge.

blackflag

Eat a box of Quest Bars if you want!
I really could.

Real question. I want to trim some fat while doing SS. Will sprinting 2-3 times a week screw up my squats/deadlifts?

I'm gonna be eating a ton of quest bars next week. Probably 2 boxes or a box and a half. I'm in SF at a conference all week so it's going to be hard to hit my protein otherwise.

Servbot24

Banned
Are there any downfalls to eating the same carefully planned meals every day? I don't really care about variety in my diet, just want to establish a good routine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any downfalls to eating the same carefully planned meals every day? I don't really care about variety in my diet, just want to establish a good routine.

Nope. I found that monotony helps my focus.

Deadly

My assumption is that you want to lose fat, not just weight. To accomplish that goal, you'll really want to strength train. The reason for that is that if you only do cardio, you'll burn both muscle and fat off, so I agree with the need for a weight routine.

So if you want to lose 50 pounds of fat, it's totally doable. Just takes a while. Budget 6-12 months for it.

If you go twice a week (non consecutive days, like mon-thurs), here's something that I did for a while:

Warm up 5 minutes on rowing machine, do warm up sets for movements.

Day 1:

Bench 4x5
Squats 4x5
Chinups 3xfailure
Dips 3xfailure

Day 2:

Overhead Press 4x5
Deadlifts 2x5
Pullups 3xfailure
Bicep Curls 3x8

Every time you do an exercise, add a bit of weight. Read up on form as well.
Thanks. I'll try it out.
There are more qualified people in this thread to tell you what to do, but keep doing what you're doing right now. Get used to the equipment at the gym and start looking into Starting Strength.

Also continue to eat clean. Find out your bmr and shave off a few calories.
Yeah I read about the nutrition part, heck I even took a nutrition class in CEGEP. It's difficult to completely change what I eat though because I still live with my parents and essentially my mom cooks the food. They're leaving for vacation for awhile soon though so I'll be doing the groceries and I'll definitely make sure to buy the appropriate things.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Venice Muscle Beach is a shadow of its former self. I remember being so intimidated here. The talent must have moved on.

Yeah? I went there in the early 2000s and it was intimidating for sure, heh.

CrankyJay

Banned
Saw the physician's assistant today and my doc's office today...she did some tests but i didn't exhibit any pain or loss of range of motion so no MRI for me, but she did prescribe me some steroids in case I do have some inflammation.

Also, up until yesterday I hadn't tried icing (was using heatpad) and the icing seems to have helped abate some of my leg pain a little bit.

No fucking clue what the tingling hands was/is...if I pinched a nerve in my neck or shoulder while laying on the floor (with my head propped on a pillow).

She also wrote me a script for a physical therapist evaluation.

Gonna try the icing and steroids before going the PT route.

Mentally feeling a little better today.

Just odd that I would be displaying piriformis symptoms in both legs (the left leg the pain and tightness is gone, but now it's in my right).

Would love to go to the gym for some light exercises or even rehab but will continue to let this heal completely.

so what exactly is the point of a BCAA supplement?

Everything I've read up to this point indicates to me that it's only something you'd need if you're somehow not getting enough protein or working out in a fasted state or something?

FinKL

They're leaving for vacation for awhile soon though so I'll be doing the groceries and I'll definitely make sure to buy the appropriate things.

Diet is super important. Find a nutrient calculator to get an idea of what you should be aiming for & LOG your meals. Even log the meals you used to eat to get an idea of how much calories they have because most people don't realize how much calories they consume.

Like someone else said, cooking for the week and eating the same meal everyday is very monotonous, but it gets the job done. I personally hate doing dishes, prepping meals every single day. Seems like a lot of time wasted, so if I can do it all at once, the better.
As an example, for this week, I made Baked Chicken with Spinach+Ricotta+Marinara. That's pretty much it, on days I workout I add Squash+Pasta to the mix for the carbs. Not my picture, as I cooked the squash/pasta on the side, but it looks similar to this.
iVlHoO8U4o1CI.png

Mayyhem

Everything I've read up to this point indicates to me that it's only something you'd need if you're somehow not getting enough protein or working out in a fasted state or something?

I only drink it while I'm working out if I work out fasted (which is often)

despire

This pretty much.

Though apparently leucine is pretty awesome. At least Kiefer thinks so:

Leucine appears to be a direct activator of mTOR. Using a leucine enriched formula can stimulate protein synthesis via the mTOR pathway to the same or higher degree as resistance training. Resistance training alone stimulates protein synthesis by roughly 40%; leucine, 50%.

Using leucine as part of post-workout nutrition can increase protein synthesis to 145% above baseline, compared with only 40% or so without leucine enrichment. Not using leucine is the slow-boat to China.

Source: http://www.fitnessnoir.com/524/the-secret-of-leucine/

So 5-15g of leucine (which is in BCAA) after workout could have some benefits. I have some BCAA lying around anyway from IF'ing, so I've been adding it to my shakes lately.

blackflag

This pretty much.

Though apparently leucine is pretty awesome. At least Kiefer thinks so:

Source: http://www.fitnessnoir.com/524/the-secret-of-leucine/

So 5-15g of leucine (which is in BCAA) after workout could have some benefits. I have some BCAA lying around anyway from IF'ing, so I've been adding it to my shakes lately.

Yeah but if you are drinking a shake or getting a good protein source you should already be getting that much leucine post workout.

It is true that leucine is the anabolic trigger. That's why the type of protein you eat is important as well.

sphinx

the piano man
Euro-fitness bros,

I found a new brand of bread that gives me 22 gr of protein per serving. Each serving (2 slices) costs 0.70 euro cents. Is that decent or too expensive??

it tastes great, better than any high protein bar or food I have tried here in Germany (damn you americans and your Quest bars lol)

Cudder

ive been eating like crap the last few days. one meal a day, seriously. i dont know what it is, but i have barely any appetite. in any case, im down to 202lbs on my cut from 215. i feel weak, deflated, skinny. not sure a cut was the way to go..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom