• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

Yeah but if you are drinking a shake or getting a good protein source you should already be getting that much leucine post workout.

It is true that leucine is the anabolic trigger. That's why the type of protein you eat is important as well.

True.

Just saying if someone has money to burn or leucine laying around like I do :)

Yeah but if you are drinking a shake or getting a good protein source you should already be getting that much leucine post workout.

It is true that leucine is the anabolic trigger. That's why the type of protein you eat is important as well.

Type of protein as in "not soy protein"? That's really all I know is I've heard that soy protein is not as desired for whatever reason. I have some powders that are brown rice protein and whey protein which I've not heard bad things about.

thanks for the responses about BCAA all. Its difficult sorting out good information from the shills online sometimes.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As I've stated I have a torn ACL and I tweaked it shooting hoops with my son on Saturday. Squats are out today and most likely for the week. :( Sucks. So today I'm gonna shoot for about 125-150 various grip pull ups and do abs. Yay!

grumble

Hey Canada Fit-GAF!

After the US had all the luck with their Quest coupons at GNC, Canada gets its own version.

Go to www.wagjag.com, there's a deal where a lot of GNC stores in the GTA are offering instore rebates where you spend 20 dollars and then get 40 bucks off your next purchase. So protein powder costing 50 bucks would cost 30. Deal's up in 7 days, then it activates in late May. Don't know if you can find Quest Bars, but I'm sure there's something in there worth buying. Think it might come with a discount card too.

As I've stated I have a torn ACL and I tweaked it shooting hoops with my son on Saturday. Squats are out today and most likely for the week. :( Sucks. So today I'm gonna shoot for about 125-150 various grip pull ups and do abs. Yay!

yay for abs and pullups!

boo on your torn acl =(

-----

annoyed today at the gym. Did 6 reps @ 170 for OHP. I wanted 8. Did another set of 3 afterwards but I still didn't feel any better.

And I forgot my baked potato for lunch. My precious carbs ;_;

Petrie

Banned
yay for abs and pullups!

boo on your torn acl =(

-----

annoyed today at the gym. Did 6 reps @ 170 for OHP. I wanted 8. Did another set of 3 afterwards but I still didn't feel any better.

And I forgot my baked potato for lunch. My precious carbs ;_;

Makes me really sad that my cut has me falling behind you on OHP. Had I kep bulking I'd be keeping pace.

Oh well. Dem Summer cuts!

moocow

So I've been out of the gym for a week and a half and I'm already going through withdrawal. My post OP physician noted that I look like I lift and stressed 6-8 weeks before reintroducing even baby weights. He also reiterated that my abs will always have a weakness. I don't think I can wait two months before lifting , so I might just use the anecdotal internet advice and start some light lifting 4-5 weeks. I lost ten pounds the first two or there days but I think my metabolism slowed down now to compensate for my new shitty diet and lack of gym.

Short term goals are to start eating more and clean again. As well as start light jogging next week.

abuC

Measured my chest, it's 49" on the nose, haven't lost any size there despite my waist getting thinner. My arms however did take a little hit.

Petrie

Banned
Haha. Don't worry dood. I'm on a cut and you crush me in the other lifts and in the looks department :)

Dude, you win based on glorious hair alone. I might be ahead on bench but I don't know about the rest of my stuff. I'm all glamour muscles and the rest is just blech. :)

This cut better be worth all the ladies staring all Summer.

Fonz72

OK FitnessGAF, here goes.

Height: 6'
Weight: 245lbs
Goal: Increase strength/cut body fat/Improve Army PT 2 mile times.
Current Training Schedule: Run/Situps/Push-ups 3 times a week.
Current Training Equipment Available: Free weights/standard gym machines
Comments:

I've been a "big" guy since puberty (gained 80lbs grew 6" in a summer) never really obese but not thin either(198-270lbs Usually hovering around 238-250lbs) I've never really lifted weights with an actual program. The most I've done is screw around with circuit training for a few months at a time. I gain muscle mass easily but have a semi-difficult time losing fat.

I've been in the Army Guard for 12 years and I've had a hard time passing the 2 mile run since day one. After I came home from Iraq it has been worse and I was diagnosed with Acute Bronchospasm making running terrible.

I've been chasing the Army's version of fitness for over a decade and it's not working. Even at my lowest weight and most fit (coming out of my initial training) I barely passed the run. I'm miserable the whole time I'm training. I cut calories and run and run and it plain sucks. My moral is gone, I fail most of my PT tests and even when I do pass it's by a few seconds.

I've never really been this honost about the situation, and it feels odd to type the whole story to for an internet forum, but I'm about out of options. I don't feel like I can continue with the calorie counting/running program this Summer. I need to pass consistantly because this is my career and I need to support my family.

After reading this thread I think I may be missing a "foundation of strength." My muscles have endurance but not enough raw strength to move my body as fast as it needs to go. I think back to a couple of years ago and I ran 10 miles at an 5.5 mph pace, but my two mile time was still 18 minutes!

I'm surounded by people who try to help but its always a combination of "run more/faster, don't eat so much" The Army for the most part sees heavy weight lifting as a hindrance and a waste of time for the most part.

So what does FitnessGAF think? Would Starting Strength help or hurt me? Diet plan ideas? Carb-loading or Carbnight? I could really use some help.

Thank you.

Szu

Saw the physician's assistant today and my doc's office today...she did some tests but i didn't exhibit any pain or loss of range of motion so no MRI for me, but she did prescribe me some steroids in case I do have some inflammation.

Also, up until yesterday I hadn't tried icing (was using heatpad) and the icing seems to have helped abate some of my leg pain a little bit.

No fucking clue what the tingling hands was/is...if I pinched a nerve in my neck or shoulder while laying on the floor (with my head propped on a pillow).

She also wrote me a script for a physical therapist evaluation.

Gonna try the icing and steroids before going the PT route.

Mentally feeling a little better today.

Just odd that I would be displaying piriformis symptoms in both legs (the left leg the pain and tightness is gone, but now it's in my right).

Would love to go to the gym for some light exercises or even rehab but will continue to let this heal completely.

Cranky's on the juice!!!!

grumble

OK FitnessGAF, here goes.

Height: 6'
Weight: 245lbs
Goal: Increase strength/cut body fat/Improve Army PT 2 mile times.
Current Training Schedule: Run/Situps/Push-ups 3 times a week.
Current Training Equipment Available: Free weights/standard gym machines
Comments:

I've been a "big" guy since puberty (gained 80lbs grew 6" in a summer) never really obese but not thin either(198-270lbs Usually hovering around 238-250lbs) I've never really lifted weights with an actual program. The most I've done is screw around with circuit training for a few months at a time. I gain muscle mass easily but have a semi-difficult time losing fat.

I've been in the Army Guard for 12 years and I've had a hard time passing the 2 mile run since day one. After I came home from Iraq it has been worse and I was diagnosed with Acute Bronchospasm making running terrible.

I've been chasing the Army's version of fitness for over a decade and it's not working. Even at my lowest weight and most fit (coming out of my initial training) I barely passed the run. I'm miserable the whole time I'm training. I cut calories and run and run and it plain sucks. My moral is gone, I fail most of my PT tests and even when I do pass it's by a few seconds.

I've never really been this honost about the situation, and it feels odd to type the whole story to for an internet forum, but I'm about out of options. I don't feel like I can continue with the calorie counting/running program this Summer. I need to pass consistantly because this is my career and I need to support my family.

After reading this thread I think I may be missing a "foundation of strength." My muscles have endurance but not enough raw strength to move my body as fast as it needs to go. I think back to a couple of years ago and I ran 10 miles at an 5.5 mph pace, but my two mile time was still 18 minutes!

I'm surounded by people who try to help but its always a combination of "run more/faster, don't eat so much" The Army for the most part sees heavy weight lifting as a hindrance and a waste of time for the most part.

So what does FitnessGAF think? Would Starting Strength help or hurt me? Diet plan ideas? Carb-loading or Carbnight? I could really use some help.

Thank you.

You may benefit from the starting strength website, which includes a forum that has several past and present military members. There's also a pretty good article about a senior officer's approach to the APFT, using strength-based methods.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/a_strength_based_approach_to_the_apft

Let us know if this helps!

Ekdrm2d1

What the fuck did I just walk into?

lol.

Sucks about your injury :(

yay for abs is right. Today is ab day for myself as well. Can't wait! :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
When adding shoulder shrugs to the end of a workout, how many sets and reps are best for bulking your traps?

sphinx

the piano man
So I remember mentioning I had reached a plateau with the pull-ups not being able to do more than 6 in a set.

After getting advice and tips from you guys to help me break the spell, I decided to "trick" the muscles and do a mix of Chin-ups, Hammer grip pull-ups and normal pull-ups 5 reps each 3 times for a total of 45. That's what I did in the last 2 or 3 back sessions.

but today I decided to go again for a pyramid form (eternally thankful to MrOogieBoogie for this) and I upped the pyramid to seven =), meaning I did 49 and added another set of 3 for the hell of it.

52 unassisted pull-ups today, PR broken. It felt good, arms were very cooperative too, calluses are all over my hands and no fucks are being given.

Szu

Yeah, that sucks, but that's never going to keep you down for long.

Cudder

When adding shoulder shrugs to the end of a workout, how many sets and reps are best for bulking your traps?

Work them like any other muscle, 8-12 rep range. Though because the movement is so small, you can afford to go heavy as fuck on them.

Szu

mutual mirin session between petrie and fallingedge

They'll work it out. No worries.

I expect it to be something like this.
ibr1NAkIHA9Cju.gif

But it's probably more like this.
tumblr_inline_mk1pd75apV1qz4rgp.gif

Here's a question. How much is too much working out on a specific muscle group per day. Let's say I've been doing 5x5 with heavy weights and cannot lift any more. Would I get more gains if instead of stopping there I went back in 30 minutes and hit that same muscle group as hard as I could? Or is there a point where you've worked yourself past possible gains for the day.

Ah man that sucks sorry bro.

abuC

Everyone is different, I just stick with 225lbsx20 and focus on the contraction, I used to shrug really heavy (425-465) but since switching to high reps I've noticed a lot of improvements.

abuC

Finally found where they were hiding the lat pullover machine at my gym, sweet jesus does that give you a good burn.

blackflag

Gonna take pictures of my awesome work gym today. Somehow I didn't know we had it.

Hammer Str. Power racks
Texas Power Bars

Serious. Crazy. Squatted there yesterday.

Cudder

3 squat racks, 1 group doing DL and the other two curls :/ Smith machine it is!

all exercises that can be done in any area of the gym..jimmies rustled.

my gym is pretty good, in that i don't think i've ever seen anyone do curls in the squat rack. ive seen ppl do curls with the 45lb bar though. is there any benefit to curling an olympic bar with weight instead of just using one of those short bars with the same weight?

Noema

Speaking of power rack etiquette, how do you guys feel about DL'ing in a squat rack?

If no one needs the rack it's fine.

If some dude can't squat / OHP because he has to wait dor some clown doing something in the rack that doesn't necessitate a rack then the guy hogging the rack is being a selfish prick.

blackflag

I curl in the squat rack. Be smart about it. If there is another rack go for it. If someone takes the last open rack, it's time to move.

Speaking of power rack etiquette, how do you guys feel about DL'ing in a squat rack?

My gym has one rack, one power cage, and one "half cage" (adjustable bar rests but no safety rails). I usually DL in the half cage, but if it's being used I'll go to the other two areas.

ACE 1991

all exercises that can be done in any area of the gym..jimmies rustled.

my gym is pretty good, in that i don't think i've ever seen anyone do curls in the squat rack. ive seen ppl do curls with the 45lb bar though. is there any benefit to curling an olympic bar with weight instead of just using one of those short bars with the same weight?

I'm guilty of this, but I make damn sure that no one else is around who wants to use the rack for squatting first.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Got in a debate about the speed of a pull up today. Friend of mine goes really slow up and down because as he put it, "I feel it more." I told him I prefer to explode up and go slower on the way down. I feel that my way helps promote strength where as I usually see the bodybuilder types going slow and their reason used is that it keeps constant tension on the muscle. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom