• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got in a debate about the speed of a pull up today. Friend of mine goes really slow up and down because as he put it, "I feel it more." I told him I prefer to explode up and go slower on the way down. I feel that my way helps promote strength where as I usually see the bodybuilder types going slow and their reason used is that it keeps constant tension on the muscle. Thoughts?

You're able to do muscle ups, I'd keep doin what you're doin.

ACE 1991

I wouldn't do a full cut when your weights are still pretty low. What you should try is to maintain your weight and drive your weights up. Only increase calories when you stall out. At this stage in your training, you can probably squeeze out some body recomposition. When your weights are something like this:

Squat: 315
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 335
OHP: 135

Then you'll have a strong base of muscle and might think about a cut down if desired.

Okay, thanks. I'll be amazed if I can get my lifts up to that level in 12 months.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're able to do muscle ups, I'd keep doin what you're doin.
I told him that. I said if you want to work toward a muscle up you have no choice but to practice your explosiveness. He has no desire to be able to perform one so he didn't care. To each their own.

EDIT: And I was never considering changing what I do. Not a chance in hell!

Kraftwerk

Need some advice.

I lost a lot of weight last year. I was 197lbs and now I am 139-140lbs. I am 5'5"-5'6".

I did INSANITY once and it did help me loose weight. Now I want to get cut. I am not sure which way to go.

To do Insanity again, or join the gym next to my work. I ride my bicycle to work, so I get cardio from that everyday, therefore I feel like I don't need the cardio from insanity.

I want to get leaner and have muscles. Plain and simple. When I look in the mirror, I see that I have definition, just need to make it more obvious. I have also found the perfect diet that works for me, so no worries there.

Wanted to know what you guys think.

I personally think I should join the gym and start lifting, and then I can ride my bike home right after, which will be my 30-40 minute cardio session.

awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah

And I forgot my baked potato for lunch. My precious carbs ;_;

Sorry about your lunch but this sentence made me laugh for some reaoson.

Finally found where they were hiding the lat pullover machine at my gym, sweet jesus does that give you a good burn.

Aww I'm jealous. Pretty sure my gym doesn't have one. Kinda forgot about pullovers lately.

Got in a debate about the speed of a pull up today. Friend of mine goes really slow up and down because as he put it, "I feel it more." I told him I prefer to explode up and go slower on the way down. I feel that my way helps promote strength where as I usually see the bodybuilder types going slow and their reason used is that it keeps constant tension on the muscle. Thoughts?

Interesting question. I think time under tension is definitely of some importance but so is a slow eccentric and faster concentric. I think they'd probably be a lot of crossover of power&strength and hypertrophy anyway but yeah as you say slow pull-ups would be missing out on improving explosiveness.

Only mortals need to worry about this stuff anyway. You got the explosiveness and the almost bodybuilder look both down pat ha.

blackflag

So after my amazing discovery yesterday, I had to take pictures and show you.

This is my gym at work. I had no idea it was like this. I assumed it was typical shit work gym.
m99Ov7Rl.jpg

This is how busy it is at 5:30 pm

This is me in my gym lol

SeanR1221

That gym looks amazing and it's probably free, right?

You look huge, btw. You still trying to cut? You're current physique seems really impressive as is.

SystemBug

Height: 5'7
Weight: 180
Goal: 150
Current Training Equipment Available:

Benchpress
Dumbells
Nike+ jogging shoes

Comments:

Hey guys, I'm pretty serious about losing weight but I have no idea on how to actually do it. Preferably I'd like to lose it as soon as possible. I know I'd need to focus on 3 different things. Working out, Cardio, and Diet. I don't have a gym membership but I do have dumbells at home and a benchpress bar with weights. For cardio I just plan on jogging, got those cool Nike+ shoes with stat tracking.Diet wise, I'm a bit at a lose, I want to cut all the junkfood or at the very least almost all of it. I want to start a veggie diet, with a bit of grain products like rice thrown in. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Mully

I'm extremely jealous Blackflag. I can't stop thinking of the only sound being you and your weights and how pleasant and amazing that is. Especially with all of that space. Fucking fuck.

abuC

First floor of my gym -

There's a bunch of ellipticals and jogging machines on the first floor, but who wants to see that. 2nd floor has a ton of Hammer strength machines, and two studios, and the 3rd floor is where I spend half my time which is where the 4 racks are, and a lot of other machines. Those pics are from their FB, I'll take some pics of the 3rd floor on Thursday, it's really dingy and grimey looking up there so that explains the lack of pics on their page.

Added bonus, the gym is in the Brazilian neighborhood in my city, and there are a lot of Brazilian women working out there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What a goddamn difference being on keto and doing SS vs eating a surplus doing SS. i had so much energy! My shoulders got gutted today though, hellacious workout.

I usually start with deads - do you guys work up to those or what?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Height: 5'7
Weight: 180
Goal: 150
Current Training Equipment Available:

Benchpress
Dumbells
Nike+ jogging shoes

Comments:

Hey guys, I'm pretty serious about losing weight but I have no idea on how to actually do it. Preferably I'd like to lose it as soon as possible. I know I'd need to focus on 3 different things. Working out, Cardio, and Diet. I don't have a gym membership but I do have dumbells at home and a benchpress bar with weights. For cardio I just plan on jogging, got those cool Nike+ shoes with stat tracking.Diet wise, I'm a bit at a lose, I want to cut all the junkfood or at the very least almost all of it. I want to start a veggie diet, with a bit of grain products like rice thrown in. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

If you just wanna lose weight, ignore all the other stuff and diet, diet, diet. How much are you looking to lose? You can go a number of ways with this - but diet is king.

ZeroRay

What a goddamn difference being on keto and doing SS vs eating a surplus doing SS. i had so much energy! My shoulders got gutted today though, hellacious workout.

I usually start with deads - do you guys work up to those or what?

I always do squats first, then either press, then deadlift. Worked for me so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He said this in his post--180 pounds to 150. :p

bluerrrrghhhhh I can't read. I mean comprehend.

30 lbs can get taken off by counting calories but it'll take some time. You'll be better off eliminating...well...what's your current caloric intake? How much of it is shit carbs like sugars and more?

I re-read his post to make sure he didn't say specifically!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
z612tKz.jpg

This is me today.

Started a much more rigorous strength training routine given to me by a good friend.

He knows his shit so I am following his guidance. That is not me. That is him.

MjFrancis

Blackflag, you look solid and I'm envious of this personal gym of yours. Where do you work and what did you do with your coworkers? It may as well be the best home gym ever if you're training with no one else in the room.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Interesting question. I think time under tension is definitely of some importance but so is a slow eccentric and faster concentric. I think they'd probably be a lot of crossover of power&strength and hypertrophy anyway but yeah as you say slow pull-ups would be missing out on improving explosiveness.

Only mortals need to worry about this stuff anyway. You got the explosiveness and the almost bodybuilder look both down pat ha.

I feel plenty of my mortality limping around right now. Trust me! ;) From my experience there seems to be two schools on lifting. The bodybuilder types who care very little about strength and the people who make strength their main goal. Bodybuilder types tend to have a limited ROM and do much higher reps with lighter weight and strength gainers focus on heavy weight and a good ROM. There are exceptions of course but this has been my observation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First floor of my gym -

There's a bunch of ellipticals and jogging machines on the first floor, but who wants to see that. 2nd floor has a ton of Hammer strength machines, and two studios, and the 3rd floor is where I spend half my time which is where the 4 racks are, and a lot of other machines. Those pics are from their FB, I'll take some pics of the 3rd floor on Thursday, it's really dingy and grimey looking up there so that explains the lack of pics on their page.

Added bonus, the gym is in the Brazilian neighborhood in my city, and there are a lot of Brazilian women working out there.

Them shits is beautiful. Envy.

This is my gym at work. I had no idea it was like this. I assumed it was typical shit work gym.

This is me in my gym lol

1) That is a work gym? That is amazing. I wish our work had something like that.

2) Christ you are huge.

Log4Girlz

This is me in my gym lol
[
W2DBvJrl.jpg
/quote]

Considering how huge you are it must have felt like finding Atlantis. Did you let out an audible "FUCK YEAH"?

blackflag

This is me in my gym lol

Considering how huge you are it must have felt like finding Atlantis. Did you let out an audible "FUCK YEAH"?

Haha yes basically. I walked in and my mind was literally blown and the one guy that works there was happy to see someone that lifts. There were a couple people on the treadmill.

I felt like the first man on the moon and I was staking my claim.

abuC

Haha yes basically. I walked in and my mind was literally blown and the one guy that works there was happy to see someone that lifts. There were a couple people on the treadmill.

I felt like the first man on the moon and I was staking my claim.

This is one small step for Bros, one giant leap....for Bro-kind.

I could never have a gym that empty, I'd be tempted to try lifting some crazy weight I have no business even trying and be found dead the next morning. The shame of failing in a crowded gym keeps me in check.

This is one small step for Bros, one giant leap....for Bro-kind.

I could never have a gym that empty, I'd be tempted to try lifting some crazy weight I have no business even trying and be found dead the next morning. The shame of failing keeps me in check.

I would never lift and be too be posing and pretending that I am in a movie/montage/wrestling.

abuC

I would never lift and be too be posing and pretending that I am in a movie/montage/wrestling.

That type of shame doesn't exist in my gym, there's gotta be about 20 pics on Instagram with me in the background looking tired & incredulous as some random bro snaps a pic of themselves in the mirror. Another guy walks around half smiling with his headphones on while he raps and flexes his biceps. My gym is VERY bro-centric, far cry from the New York Sports Club, but they go hard so I can't really hate.

Imm0rt4l

My gym has a cardio theater which I never use. I wish they had more racks

First floor of my gym -

That is certainly a bonus. All the curl bros scared away a lot of the girls from the weight area of my gym.

Mully

NO SLEEP TUESDAYS BROUGHT TO YOU BY COFFEE AND FINALS.

5/3/1 DL's tomorrow. I'm supposed to DL 275 for a new PR. Get me an IV of coffee stat.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You guys are dicks for doing barbell curls in the squat rack.
How is a guy supposed to get his sets of triceps kickbacks done if all the cages are in use?

abuC

That is certainly a bonus. All the curl bros scared away a lot of the girls from the weight area of my gym.

It really is, there's one in particular that I look at like this

tumblr_mclo3xYVJf1rt3zrlo1_400.gif

Everyone looks when she walks by.

You guys are dicks for doing barbell curls in the squat rack.
How is a guy supposed to get his sets of triceps kickbacks done if all the cages are in use?

Such a noob, everyone knows you do tricep kickbacks on the bench, make sure to grunt as loud as possible too.

Just want to put this out there: FUCK people who super-set with multiple pairs of dumbbells during crowded-as-fuck peak time in the gym. They are maybe one level in hell above the guys who curl in the squat rack. Maybe.

When it's already hard as fuck to find a bench and the proper set of weights, these fuckers monopolize 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 different sets of dumbbells for extended sets that last forever. One doucheshit today was using the 35s, 40s, and 45s for like half an hour, probably three of the most commonly used weights.

Seriously, fuck those people. Get to the gym at 6am if you want to pull that bullshit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You can do it in 8 if your nutrition and recovery are on point.

I take this would be with strict SS and 200g+ of protein a day? What comes to rest, is the point more 8h sleep or days off lifting? Those numbers are fantastic targets for me too, I would be so stoked to hit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom