• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've been doing the one where you sit in the chair and lean forward, also legs on the wall, legs crossed.

Fucking sucks. lol...want nothing more than to get back into the gym etc.

It seems I eliminated it in one side but then somehow aggravated the other side. How the fuck does that happen? Overcompensation?
My stealth edit answered your question. Have you been doing them on both sides?

twofold

@MThanded - As a novice, you don't need to be doing so many exercises and so much volume, especially while eating at a deficit.

You'd probably be better off doing a simpler routine with a few full body workouts. Something like GSLP would work really well for you.

23duXAW.png

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, overcompensation from the side that was supporting you till now. I also call it pain relocation.

This made me think I had some acute damage to a disc that caused this...could still be the case but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. Just need to beat this so I can continue. I miss the gym!

MThanded

For some reference on my I used to be 330 back in 2007. I lost a bunch of weight and ever since then have had a really hard time breaking into the 270s. I did it once and it was barely sustainable even with a large deficit.

Here is me at somewhere near 330. This is the best I could find. Didn't save a lot of pictures from back then.

Here is me at 278

Currently i have been hovering around 280 for the last few months. My short term goal is 250.

Szu

Goddamit, I think that's what happened. I suck.

Did you find that icing helped at all? It seems to relieve some of my symptoms.

I'm starting to feel a pain in my lower back, but this is from an injury that's over a decade old.

Maybe we should try Ashiatsu massage?

5100143986_51fa937ee9_z.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
@MThanded - As a novice, you don't need to be doing so many exercises and so much volume, especially while eating at a deficit.

You'd probably be better off doing a simpler routine with a few full body workouts. Something like GSLP would work really well for you.

You gotta tell him why.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For some reference on my I used to be 330 back in 2007. I lost a bunch of weight and ever since then have had a really hard time breaking into the 270s. I did it once and it was barely sustainable even with a large deficit.

Here is me at somewhere near 330. This is the best I could find. Didn't save a lot of pictures from back then.

Here is me at 278

Currently i have been hovering around 280 for the last few months. My short term goal is 250.

Man you've come a long way! Nothing to sneeze at, for sure.

SeanR1221

He didn't say he did an abs day. He said he did abs today and felt awful. Quit being such a pissy critic.

Calm down, man. He does have an abs day programmed in there.

MT, I really think you'd benefit more from a beginner program. Less is more when you start. Check out starting strength or greyskull lp.

Things will start easy and light, but you will be progressing every week AND getting stronger.

MThanded

23duXAW.png

Calm down, man. He does have an abs day programmed in there.

MT, I really think you'd benefit more from a beginner program. Less is more when you start. Check out starting strength or greyskull lp.
Can someone give me some insight. I'm willing to change my program up.

SeanR1221

Sure. Something like starting strength will have you focus on compound movements that will hit all the major parts of your body. Right now your current program is a lot of random exercises. SS will put you on set progression and give you goals to hit.

It will also build a great strength base for you. This, with keeping your diet in check, is definitely worth trying to overcome your plateau.

twofold

You gotta tell him why.

OK?

I'll just copy from the /r/fitness FAQ --

Should I train full-body or a body-part split?

For the first several months of weight training, beginners can expect to raise the weight they are lifting in a linear progression, without any increased rest time needed - this means you will get regularly stronger day after day.

Beginners to strength training are defined by how quickly they can recover from exercise. For this reason, as a beginner, it is best to get as much work in as possible each week. If you do a full-body routine three times per week, that means you're training your entire body roughly 12 times per month (144 times per year). A body-part split, hitting different body parts over a week is going to train your whole body one (maybe two) times per week, which is 4-8 times per month (48-96 times per year).

As a beginner, doing a body-part split is not taking advantage of your advanced recovery capabilities. Splits should be left to the more advanced strength trainees who need longer to recover.

There are some higher volume beginner alternatives that might work, too, mainly Allpro's beginner routine (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1) and the Icecreamfitness 5x5 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063&page=1), but high volume can be difficult to recover from when eating at a deficit, so GSLP would probably be a better choice overall.

CrankyJay

Banned
Great, now I want to see a spin-off show from Sunny where Dennis (or Frank) and Dee own a restaurant and they swear at the customers and go crazy.

MThanded

Sure. Something like starting strength will have you focus on compound movements that will hit all the major parts of your body. Right now your current program is a lot of random exercises. SS will put you on set progression and give you goals to hit.

It will also build a great strength base for you. This, with keeping your diet in check, is definitely worth trying to overcome your plateau.

OK?

I'll just copy from the /r/fitness FAQ --

There are some higher volume beginner alternatives that might work, too, mainly Allpro's beginner routine (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1) and the Icecreamfitness 5x5 (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063&page=1), but high volume can be difficult to recover from when eating at a deficit, so GSLP would probably be a better choice overall.

Makes sense. I'll look into GSLP.

I was out the game for about 4 months.. had no time whatsoever to go to the gym. I feel soooo bad. Picked up working out again a week ago. My form really got hit over the months, and I was doing pretty well.

Anywho, I have a question, is it oke for me to replace my lat excersises by pull ups at home on a pull up bar? I know pull ups are one of the best excersises for lats, but I can hardly manage a single pull up and am too embarassed to do it at the gym.

andycapps

What do you guys think would be a good routine post SS? Keeping in mind I don't have access to any machines. Probably aiming for starting a new routine in July. The last couple workouts have been really good. As of Thursday I will be up to my previous max in squats (deloaded a while back), but I've lost 5 pounds since then. On deadlifts I'll equal that as well on Friday. I just hope I don't hit the wall again for a while, but it's hard to progress seriously with this while on a deficit.

And I wouldn't be so concerned with being on a deficit except that I'm going to the beach next month. Wanted to throw that out there before someone got on me for it, as I know it's not ideal.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't mind the program MT but I don't think it is optimized for someone starting out. I don't like the volume and I don't like the set/rep combination of 4x8. I would thoroughly read the OP and do it for 6-9 months and then move on to a more customized program like your friend suggested if you desire.

grumble

Here's the logic.

Progress is driven by the General Adaptation Theory. It's the same logic that gets you a tan. If you spend a few minutes in the sun every day, then some time away from it to recover, you'll tan. Over time, you'll need more sun exposure and more recovery to deepen your tan. If you do too much sun exposure, you'll burn, and if you don't give your body a break from the sun (usually sleeping), you won't tan since you'll be too busy trying not to fry. If you don't give your body enough sun exposure, you won't tan.

Right now you're a pale kid going out in the Mexican sun and frying for six hours, and doing that once a week. It kind of works, but it's a rough way to tan.

So apply this logic to strength training. You are a newbie, which is awesome. It means that big gains are ahead of you! It also means that your body does not require an intense stimulus with lots of volume, and doesn't need that much time to recover. In fact, the stimulus might be too intense for you to recover properly at all at this point. You want to provide an adequate but not excessive stimulus (tan but not burn) with enough frequency to drive progress. Enough stimulus to supercompensate, enough recovery to improve, rinse and repeat.

So reduce the number of exercises, only using the ones that you need. Drive progress on those movements incrementally, slowly building up. Do them with enough frequency to keep progress climbing instead of climbing up then falling halfway back before you drive them up again.

Initially 3x/week (add weight to all exercises every time you do them, 10lbs for squat/dl and 5 for bench/ohp, then dropping to 5/2.5 eventually once you're had a failure and reset):

Squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5 (i did 3x5 on this too for a couple of weeks until I started to feel beaten up all the time)

After a couple of weeks,

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B:

Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Power Clean 5x3

Then after another couple of weeks (a-b-a, b-a-b),

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chinups 3xfailure

Workout B:

Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Pullups 3xfailure

Then after a couple of weeks again,

Monday:

Squat 3x5
Bench/OHP (alternate weekly) 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Chinups 3xfailure

Wednesday:

Squat 2x5 @80% of Monday
OHP/Bench (alternate weekly) 3x5
Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x3 (Alternate weekly)

Friday:

Squat 3x5
Bench/OHP (alternate weekly) 3x5
Pullups 3xfaillure
(I like to throw some dips and bicep curls in this day, just 3 sets of each)

At this point you'll be strong and won't look or feel like the same person. This process takes about 3-8 months, life circumstances depending. It's the SS progression.

despire

What do you guys think would be a good routine post SS? Keeping in mind I don't have access to any machines. Probably aiming for starting a new routine in July. The last couple workouts have been really good. As of Thursday I will be up to my previous max in squats (deloaded a while back), but I've lost 5 pounds since then. On deadlifts I'll equal that as well on Friday. I just hope I don't hit the wall again for a while, but it's hard to progress seriously with this while on a deficit.

And I wouldn't be so concerned with being on a deficit except that I'm going to the beach next month. Wanted to throw that out there before someone got on me for it, as I know it's not ideal.

GSLP or if you've really really exhausted all your gains from linear progression then there's always the ever popular 5/3/1.

grumble

Have you done the advanced novice progression? Might help you squeeze out a bit more progress.

If you go twice a week (non consecutive days, like mon-thurs), here's something that I did for a while:

Warm up 5 minutes on rowing machine, do warm up sets for movements.

Day 1:

Bench 4x5
Squats 4x5
Chinups 3xfailure
Dips 3xfailure

Day 2:

Overhead Press 4x5
Deadlifts 2x5
Pullups 3xfailure
Bicep Curls 3x8

Every time you do an exercise, add a bit of weight. Read up on form as well.

This is almost exactly what I do now, though I have a couple of questions:
where would you add power cleans and bb rows?
why chins on day one instead of pullups?

jdavid459

With the beginning program focusing on bench press, deadlifts and squats is it normal to be done with the gym in like 20-25minutes?

Feel like I am not doing enough...use to gym trips lasting an hour or so

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With the beginning program focusing on bench press, deadlifts and squats is it normal to be done with the gym in like 20-25minutes?

Enjoy it while you can. I feel bad that they're quick, but as the weight adds, my time in there adds up between sets.

SeanR1221

I remember those days. Don't worry, you'll miss it when your squats take a half hour to finish.

As the weight increases, you will wish that you were done in 20-25 minutes.

abuC

Day off will be meeting my sister for her birthday lunch, expect pictures of Puerto Rican food. I'll do some pull ups tonight since I now get anxious when I miss a day of working out.

andycapps

GSLP or if you've really really exhausted all your gains from linear progression then there's always the ever popular 5/3/1.

Was thinking that would be the recommendation.

Have you done the advanced novice progression? Might help you squeeze out a bit more progress.

Not yet, I was going to ask if that would be the recommendation before I move onto a different routine. Will look into that and GSLP.

10 year wedding anniversary today. Gonna destroy some fancy restaurant today. (Right after I get back from the gym for OHP day).

Hey congrats man. My wife and I are hitting 9 this year and I'm already looking forward to a big trip sans kids for our 10th.

Fitness wise I'm actually pretty bummed out right now. Scored myself a bit of achilles tendinopathy by pushing up my trail running distance a little too far and too fast. I'm resting it up now, but if I can't start getting back on the trails soon I'm going to be scrapping the big plans for my distance running season, just not enough time to build the mileage base that I need.

jdavid459

Enjoy it while you can. I feel bad that they're quick, but as the weight adds, my time in there adds up between sets.

I remember those days. Don't worry, you'll miss it when your squats take a half hour to finish.

As the weight increases, you will wish that you were done in 20-25 minutes.

Why does it take longer after? You take longer rests in between? for 3x5 sets is it okay just to bang out all 3 with little rest in between? Or should I do like 1 set of BP then do pullups, back to BP and so forth?

Why does it take longer after? You take longer rests in between? for 3x5 sets is it okay just to bang out all 3 with little rest in between? Or should I do like 1 set of BP then do pullups, back to BP and so forth?

If you continue progressing in strength there will be a point where your options will be longer rests or failing your reps. It's how the program is supposed to be.

Noema

MT:

You need to do Starting Stength.

Because the weights get heavier. Sure, one can do 3x5 on Squats with 30 seconds rest if one is just squatting 115lb. But if you do the program right eventually you'll need to rest 5-7 between sets just to be able to do the reps.

Same with supersetting exercises. You can gets away at the beginning but when the weight get truly heavy you want to focus on the lift and get some proper rest between sets.
If it doesn't eventually get so heavy that you think "holy shit, this feels heavy" you are doing the program wrong.

I rest up to 10 minutes before my heavy squats and deadlift sets. It makes a huge difference.

Daud

Neo Member
5'8", 155 lbs, 24 yrs old

I did a reset of my deadlift after posting a form check last week here. Gone back to 135. Is it a problem that my DL will be totally lagging compared to my others lifts for a while? If I go up 10 per session and I do DL every other workout, following SS, it'll take weeks for my DL to catch my squat (at 175 now).

Basically, should I care?

My pressing lifts are ahead (OHP 105, BP 155) of my squat and my DL, by the way, and I suspect that's because of some bodybuilding work I did in the past. Does that pose a danger to general muscle balance?

despire

Because after a while you WILL rest 5-10 minutes between sets.

Noema

I did a reset of my deadlift after posting a form check last week here. Gone back to 135. Is it a problem that my DL will be totally lagging compared to my others lifts for a while? If I go up 10 per session and I do DL every other workout, following SS, it'll take weeks for my DL to catch my squat (at 175 now).

My pressing lifts are ahead (OHP 105, BP 155) of my squat and my DL, by the way, and I suspect that's because of some bodybuilding work I did in the past. Does that pose a danger to general muscle balance?

Nah don't worry. Your lower body lifts will catch up to your upper body in no time. You'll stall much sooner on Bench and press than on Squats or deadlifts.

Just keep adding weight to the bar every workout and the situation will sort itself out eventually.

Jack_AG

Banned
Going to my Endo today for my quarterly. My A1C should be around 6.4 if my calcs are correct.

Here's hoping we can finally start working on my thyroid now that I got my insulin exemption out of the way. I can get the rest of me back on track, too.

Petrie

Banned
Was thinking that would be the recommendation.

Not yet, I was going to ask if that would be the recommendation before I move onto a different routine. Will look into that and GSLP.

I'd kill to be able to go back and milk my noob gains correctly. I didn't do SS correctly at first, then I jumped right from SS to 5/3/1 when I could have had more linear progression. I've ended up in the same place overall, but could likely be a bit further along had I switched to 5/3/1 a bit later.

Don't make my mistakes!

Going to my Endo today for my quarterly. My A1C should be around 6.4 if my calcs are correct.

Here's hoping we can finally start working on my thyroid now that I got my insulin exemption out of the way. I can get the rest of me back on track, too.

I know you've discussed it before but what exactly is going on? With the various health issues I read about on GAF things can get mixed up, especially because of the weightloss and other health threads.

ezrarh

I wouldn't worry about it at this point in time. You'll come to a point where you won't be able to add as much weight to your presses / squat compared to your deadlift which will eventually equal or surpass all other lifts. Any minor muscle imbalances at this time will generally even out as you continue doing the beginner program, as it was designed to do.

despire

My hip adductor is still fucked up and it's pissing me off. It's been this way since maybe last September and it's not getting better. I took over a month off squatting shortly after it happened but it didn't help. I've been trying to stretch it but I'm not sure if it's helping or not. I've also been icing it sometimes and lately I've been taking Miranax for it. I can still squat but I need to warm up a lot longer and it still hurts sometimes. And whats worse is that I've been having similar symptoms in my other leg as well. The other leg isn't "broken" yet but I can feel that there's something happening.

Here's an illustration of the area that is hurting:
0S7fwxM.jpg

So what do? I don't want to stop squatting again especially after I really need to regain my strength. Would squatting in some other manner (=high bar) perhaps be easier on hip adductors?

jdavid459

MT:

You need to do Starting Stength.

Because the weights get heavier. Sure, one can do 3x5 on Squats with 30 seconds rest if one is just squatting 115lb. But if you do the program right eventually you'll need to rest 5-7 between sets just to be able to do the reps.

Same with supersetting exercises. You can get away at the beginning but when the weight get truly heavy you want to focus on the lift and get some proper rest between sets.

I rest up to 10 minutes before my heavy squats and deadlift sets. It makes a huge difference.

Because after a while you WILL rest 5-10 minutes between sets.

So rest time is encouraged? Was never sure if more rest time = next set not as hard = less strain on muscles = less results. Thanks for responses though, I'm just trying to learn.

Noema

So what do? I don't want to stop squatting again especially after I really need to regain my strength. Would squatting in some other manner (=high bar) perhaps be easier on hip adductors?

High bar won't be easier on the adductors, but a narrower stance will.

You need to work on mobility. Every day. It's not something that can be fixed in a day. You need to work on your hip flexors, extensors. Do the 3 stretches for lifters from 70sbig everyday.

PBY

Banned
So rest time is encouraged? Was never sure if more rest time = next set not as hard = less strain on muscles = less results. Thanks for responses though, I'm just trying to learn.

All you need to worry about is getting the heaviest weight possible up.

Noema

It's not only encouraged. It's necessary.

Just take the time you need. If you feel you can make the reps with just 1-2 minutes rest, go for it.

If you start failing reps specially on the second and third set, you need to rest longer between sets.

And forget about "strain on the muscle", "pump" or anything like that. SS is strength training. In strength training you train movements, not muscles. The only thing that matters is that you be able to make the rep and that you keep adding weight to the bar.

despire

High bar won't be easier on the adductors, but a narrower stance will.

You need to work on mobility. Every day. It's not something that can be fixed in a day. You need to work on your hip flexors, extensors. Do the 3 stretches for lifters from 70sbig everyday.

Yeah, I've been doing them almost every day lately. But I'm not sure if I'm helping it or aggravating it by stretching :(

Also can I do narrower stance on high bar or low bar?

PBY

Banned
Just wanted to check in again with my Kelei routine, its officially been 5 months. I got a little down on it 2 months ago, but I modified it a little and all of a sudden my results have exploded. For reference, these are my jumps over the 5 month span (these are 10 rep maxes)

Bench:
205-250

Incline
135-205

Pulls
Strugglebus 8 bodyweight pullups--> 45 lbs

Chins
10 bodyweight-->65 lbs

I really recommend it if you want a real aesthetics, BB style routine.

Noema

Yeah, I've been doing them almost every day lately. But I'm not sure if I'm helping it or aggravating it by stretching :(

Also can I do narrower stance on high bar or low bar?

Sure, but depending on your mobility they might do more harm than good. Narrow stance squats require a ton of hip and ankle mobility.

I suggest NSAIDs and copious foam rolling.

Jack_AG

Banned
I know you've discussed it before but what exactly is going on? With the various health issues I read about on GAF things can get mixed up, especially because of the weightloss and other health threads.

Diabetes and Hashimoto's (auto immune disease) which causes hypothyroidism. Unsure which came first as both Diabetes and Hashimoto's can cause the other. Diagnosed 5 years ago when I had a urinalysys for a kidney stone - found sugar in my urine - blood tests - boom - in the hospital. Doc called it "tombstone territory" - my A1C at the time was off the chart - he had no clue how I was walking, talking and not in a coma haha!

Current symptoms are more to do with Hashimoto's and not Diabetes (under control). Always tired, fatigued, weak, legs feel like molten hot lead, unable to trim some fat, etc

Been working through it for the most part. If he can start me on treatment to get my TSH levels back to normal I will be in business. So for the most part I plan to bulk this year instead of cut since attempts will be useless ;)

All good tho. In due time I'll be stomping another issue to the ground and squatting on it :)

Daud

Neo Member
Thanks for the answers.

On a related note, dat feeling when you complete your third set of five reps at OHP while destroying a plateau, and when you feel strong enough to do a sixth rep and that just for added badassery you keep the barbell up for a few seconds before putting it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom