• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveovig

10lb is a lot on bench! No wonder why you keep stalling.

Deload 10% and use 5lb increments.

Ok, I'll try that and see how it goes. Squats are ok to add 10 lbs. each time, right? My trainer told me adding less than ten wouldn't do me any good. Of course, he's never even heard of SS.

Noema

Ok, I'll try that and see how it goes. Squats are ok to add 10 lbs. each time, right? My trainer told me adding less than ten wouldn't do me any good. Of course, he's never even heard of SS.

Eventually you'll have to switch to 5lb increments on squats too. But 10lb is ok if you can sustain it.

Your trainer doesn't know what he's talking about. Less than 10lb doesn't do any good? Tell me: what is better? Adding 10lb but stalling every workout or adding 2.5lb but progressing every workout?

After 5 weeks:

With 10lb increments: 0lb increase

With 2.5 increments: 25lb increase

25lb>0lb

So the lesson is: don't be greedy! Even 1lb increments are better than stalling. Suppose you add 1lb to your OHP every week or 1 year. That's 52lb in 1 year. That's A LOT and more than most people will ever get otherwise.

Don't try to be the hare. Be the tortoise.

I'm not huge, yet.

Oh, I'm gonna. Got dat golf shirt ready. ;)

Here's what I did. (don't usually include warm up sets, but I felt like it this time so people could see I don't just DIVE into the kroc rows).

Pull-Up:

15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)

Standing Military Press:

135 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+117 pts)
180 lb x 9 reps (+155 pts)
5s week

Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press:

225 lb x 8 reps (+137 pts)
superset with facepulls

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

110 lb x 10 reps (+62 pts)
115 lb x 10 reps (+64 pts)
120 lb x 10 reps (+66 pts)
Warm ups for krocs

Kroc Rows:

130 lb x 20 reps (+71 pts)

Lying Close-Grip Barbell Triceps Extension Behind The Head:

100 lb x 10 reps (+15 pts)
100 lb x 7 reps (+14 pts)
100 lb x 6 reps (+13 pts)
100 lb x 5 reps (+13 pts)
Tris were fried. Superset with incline curls

why you so pretty?

As for me. Dem legs. DEM LEGS. The leg pump is prolly my fav pump.

Squats
5 x 285 lbs
3 x 320 lbs
7 x 355 lbs

Leg Press - 5 x 12 @ 360 lbs
Good mornings - 5 x 10 @ 145 lbs
Hanging leg raises - 3 x 12
Cable Crunches - 3 x 12 @ 120 lbs
Seated calf raises - 4 x 15 @ 125 lbs
Standing calf raises - 1 x 50

HIIT seems like a poor choice for cardio on SS to me. If anything, slow steady state cardio would be easier. You might be able to get away with HIIT in the first couple weeks, but when you're constantly pushing yourself after a couple months, I don't think your body could do HIIT without it affecting your lifts. For me, my lifts are hard enough as is, I don't need to make it worse on myself, so I walk about half an hour a day.

everything I've read indicates that HIIT is the preferred form of cardio when retaining lean muscle mass is desired.

bro1

Banned
With triathlon season upon us, am I moron if I cut legs for the next few months? I have 2 triathlons every month until Sept and a half marathon as well in Sept. I did legs two nights ago and the doms is killing my running, cycling, and even swimming

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
why you so pretty?

As for me. Dem legs. DEM LEGS. The leg pump is prolly my fav pump.

Squats
5 x 285 lbs
3 x 320 lbs
7 x 355 lbs

Leg Press - 5 x 12 @ 360 lbs
Good mornings - 5 x 10 @ 145 lbs
Hanging leg raises - 3 x 12
Cable Crunches - 3 x 12 @ 120 lbs
Seated calf raises - 4 x 15 @ 125 lbs
Standing calf raises - 1 x 50

tumblr_m5aoxyV7TP1qe02xmo1_r1_500.gif

Now off to STL.

Have a great day gents!

Petrie

Banned
With triathlon season upon us, am I moron if I cut legs for the next few months? I have 2 triathlons every month until Sept and a half marathon as well in Sept. I did legs two nights ago and the doms is killing my running, cycling, and even swimming

i WOULDN'T REMOVE THEM ENTIRELY. i'D CUT BACK MY SETS, SAY ONE SET FOR STRENGTH ON SQUATS AND SUCH, JUST TO KEEP THEM STRENGTH GAINS AT LEAST AT THE LEVEL THEY WERE AT.

Damn data entry Caps Lock. lol

Mully

Videos of my poor form:

220X5 (Slightly rounded on reps 4 & 5)
250X3 (Back begins to round)
275X2 (Horrible)

Today was a pretty bad day. I didn't get any sleep last night while preparing for finals, and I was in haze most of the morning. It continued into my deadlifting session. I was sluggish, stupid, and clumsy. My warmup sets were solid. My form was good. I was breathing correctly. My butt was down, and my chest was up. I was confident it was going to be a solid day.

However, my working sets' form fell apart. My back was rounded, I was unfocused, and my footing was all over the place. I managed to get my goal reps of 2 @ 275, but my form was HORRIBLE. As you can see, my back was rounded pretty badly on the 275lb DL, and somewhat rounded on the 250lb DL.

I'm thinking about deloading by 20lbs on my DL to focus on form, and stalling my squat for the next couple of months.

Here are my numbers right now:

OHP: 135X4
DL: 275X2
Bench (estimated): 210X5
Squat (estimated): 275X5

My squat's more than my DL and from what I've seen from the other guys on here, it's supposed to be the other way around. I don't want a muscle imbalance, so I guess besides forcing it like I have been doing with my DL, the intelligent option is stalling my squat and focusing on getting my form down on the DL until I'm confident enough to progress.

Oh and I took a few photos afterwards today. Still got a little bit of a stomach, but my back is starting to fill out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My squats are really starting to piss me off. I'm fairly noob, and have a big problem in keeping knees back when doing my heavy sets, they come way too front and this limits my range to about 1-2 inch above parallel and doesn't put enough weight on my heels. I have no problem whatsoever going almost ass to heels low with light weights. With heavy weights I have been told to somehow stick my butt out more and try to sit back but I don't quite know how. I am really hell bent to nail it, I don't think I can move forwards in SS to add more weight an inch above parallel. Any ideas?

8byte

Banned
I know this is majorly OT, but I figured if anyone could appreciate this, it was fitness GAF. A friend and co-worker of mine is in a FIT competition, and I'm really proud of her. She struggled with Bulimia, and with the help of friends and a new goal, has made a lot of progress both physically and mentally. She's eating right, working out a lot, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, mentally and physically.

It would mean the world to her if some of you guy's could cast a vote for her in the FIT USA contest on Bodybuilding.com.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2013-fit-usa-competition.html

You don't have to (obviously) but I figured some folks here might appreciate her struggles and efforts :) Thanks guys!

Edit: Her name is Benet Ruggles. I'm a dunce!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done talking to a coworker about how she had lost weight 4 years ago and gained strength with Crossfit. Everything sounded great, and I understand Crossfit is just a name without a mandated standard for things, then she said "it worked real great until I got hurt there, and my trainer was very sorry" and she kept trying to get me out there. Eh, what can ya do.

Trying to explain to a bunch of 50 year old ladies that I don't want to look attractive, I want to look STRONG and BE strong feels like I'm speaking another language.

I know this is majorly OT, but I figured if anyone could appreciate this, it was fitness GAF. A friend and co-worker of mine is in a FIT competition, and I'm really proud of her. She struggled with Bulimia, and with the help of friends and a new goal, has made a lot of progress both physically and mentally. She's eating right, working out a lot, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, mentally and physically.

It would mean the world to her if some of you guy's could cast a vote for her in the FIT USA contest on Bodybuilding.com.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2013-fit-usa-competition.html

You don't have to (obviously) but I figured some folks here might appreciate her struggles and efforts :) Thanks guys!

What's her name?

abuC

My lunch!

Carne Guisada + Red beans (black in picture, switched with my sister), rice, salad and tostones. Delicious doesn't even begin to describe it, best Rican food in Spanish Harlem.

Noema

Videos of my poor form:

275X2 (Horrible)

Today was a pretty bad day. I didn't get any sleep last night while preparing for finals, and I was in haze most of the morning. It continued into my deadlifting session. I was sluggish, stupid, and clumsy. My warmup sets were solid. My form was good. I was breathing correctly. My butt was down, and my chest was up. I was confident it was going to be a solid day.

However, my working sets' form fell apart. My back was rounded, I was unfocused, and my footing was all over the place. I managed to get my goal reps of 2 @ 275, but my form was HORRIBLE. As you can see, my back was rounded pretty badly on the 275lb DL, and somewhat rounded on the 250lb DL.

I'm thinking about deloading by 20lbs on my DL to focus on form, and stalling my squat for the next couple of months.

My squat's more than my DL and from what I've seen from the other guys on here, it's supposed to be the other way around. I don't want a muscle imbalance, so I guess besides forcing it like I have been doing with my DL, the intelligent option is stalling my squat and focusing on getting my form down on the DL until I'm confident enough to progress.

Oh and I took a few photos afterwards today. Still got a little bit of a stomach, but my back is starting to fill out.

Those reps weren't that bad Mully. You need to improve your setup before the pull. But those 2 reps at 275lb looked incredibly easy. I'm sure you could pull much more than that.

Don't stop squatting. Don't fear the muscle imbalance boogeyman, specially not with squats and deadlifts. Squats are the most important exercise in the world. As you get stronger in squats you become stronger in deadlifts too.

My suggestion to you would be to implement RDLs on your squats day. Do 3 or 4 sets of 8 with no more than 135lb and focus on perfect form. I also suggest you reread the DL chapter of SS.

blackflag

Videos of my poor form:

275X2 (Horrible)

Back is starting to fill out, so are your shoulders and you are getting that V shape too. Good job man.

bro1

Banned
Videos of my poor form:

275X2 (Horrible)

Your form isn't awful, just needs a bit more work. Lower your hips a bit and make sure that the bar is in contact with your shins (pull up your socks to avoid cuts). I like to imagine that I'm pulling my chest up as this keeps my hips down and my back in proper placement.

Also, don't rush the gains. You don't want to get a lower back injury as they take forever to recover from.

SeanR1221

Like Noema said, don't be so hard on yourself, Mully. 275 looked extremely easy for you. I'm sure you had a good 5+ in you.

As far as back rounding, really force the chest up, which should force the hips down and straighten out your back.

And to echo Flag, you're looking good too. Really filling out. Keep up the hard work.

PBY

Banned
Those reps weren't that bad Mully. You need to improve your setup before the pull. But those 2 reps at 275lb looked incredibly easy. I'm sure you could pull much more than that.

Don't stop squatting. Don't fear the muscle imbalance boogeyman, specially not with squats and deadlifts. Squats are the most important exercise in the world. As you get stronger in squats you become stronger in deadlifts too.

My suggestion to you would be to implement RDLs on your squats day. Do 3 or 4 sets of 8 with no more than 135lb and focus on perfect form. I also suggest you reread the DL chapter of SS.

You're probably right, and a large part of it depends on what you're goals are.

I squatted HEAVY for like 3 years, and my body was fucked aesthetically. Haven't squatted, DLed, or cleaned since November. It's fucking with my back, and overall strength I'm sure, but visually my body looks way more proportioned.

Mully

Thanks for the support guys. Really, it means a ton coming from all of you. I guess I was a bit nervous and hard on myself today. I'll make sure to get a good night's sleep before my next session. Also, a lot of you have mentioned the easiness of my reps, what's the best way to gauge to put the bar back on the rack?

You're probably right, and a large part of it depends on what you're goals are.

I squatted HEAVY for like 3 years, and my body was fucked aesthetically. Haven't squatted, DLed, or cleaned since November. It's fucking with my back, and overall strength I'm sure, but visually my body looks way more proportioned.

Yup. To each their own. When beginning, people need to stick with the program but after getting some experience and figuring out your goals, then people can adjust the program accordingly, much like you have.

velociraptor

I'm not huge, yet.

Oh, I'm gonna. Got dat golf shirt ready. ;)

Here's what I did. (don't usually include warm up sets, but I felt like it this time so people could see I don't just DIVE into the kroc rows).

Pull-Up:

15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)
15 reps (+162 pts)

Standing Military Press:

135 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+117 pts)
180 lb x 9 reps (+155 pts)
5s week

Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press:

superset with facepulls

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

110 lb x 10 reps (+62 pts)
115 lb x 10 reps (+64 pts)
120 lb x 10 reps (+66 pts)
Warm ups for krocs

Kroc Rows:

130 lb x 20 reps (+71 pts)

Lying Close-Grip Barbell Triceps Extension Behind The Head:

100 lb x 10 reps (+15 pts)
100 lb x 7 reps (+14 pts)
100 lb x 6 reps (+13 pts)
100 lb x 5 reps (+13 pts)
Tris were fried. Superset with incline curls

Wow man, awesome lifts.

cryptic

The last time I went to the gym Iwas told by some mid aged beast CO that is the only person I think who really knows his shit, that " I wish I could clone your squat form and make every body else in the gym do the same, even myself."
Felt so good considering it's been a few months working with this new ATG hi bar squat after I fixed my flexibility issue and it sometimes hurts dialing back the weight.
I'm now climbing back up past 225 and to hear that, man, even a few days later I'm great, plus I have a gym buddy now so that's the best part.

complimentary cryptic hot chick pic:

moocow

So this is what I looked like last year when I had cut down to 145
L8BU6GN.jpg

Ideally, I want to have similar proportions in the long run but just everything bigger.

I'll probably upload a new before picture right when I start lifting again within the next month or so.

abuC

Cryptic, I was going to read what you wrote but stared at the pic for about 5 mins, will get back around to it sometime.

Just finished off half a cheesecake after a giant poutine, around 5000 calories today...

#Foreverbulk

#Neverlift

I'm just glad you didn't post pics this time, your posts make cutting a little difficult.

Found a NYSC location in Manhattan with a pullover machine. And here I thought they only existed in heaven...

Which one? I went to the ones on 86th and lex / 91st & 3rd a few times.

Cagey

Banned
Cryptic, I was going to read what you wrote but stared at the pic for about 5 mins, will get back around to it sometime.

I'm just glad you didn't post pics this time, your posts make cutting a little difficult.

Which one? I went to the one on 86th and lex a few times.

35th and Madison. Weight room has high ceilings but its small; the ceilings help with keeping it from being a claustrophobic nightmare (yo whatup 95th and Broadway).

L8BU6GN.jpg

Ideally, I want to have similar proportions in the long run but just everything bigger.

I'll probably upload a new before picture right when I start lifting again within the next month or so.

That's 145? Big looking 145

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
L8BU6GN.jpg

145? How tall are you?

8byte

Banned
L8BU6GN.jpg

No way that's 145, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom