• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

The sad thing is that I was consistent with legs but always had trouble with squatting past 225 while maintaining good form. When I started 531 I finally started gaining and manned up a bit.

I have a hard time not being tentative out of the bottom of the squat. I'm approaching 200 lbs now and I think it's all in my head, and plus my muscles aren't used to working at full capacity. So when I push through it, I'm shocked when it works, haha. Seems to be very mental.

Do you guys ever get lightheaded mid-set? For squats, I tend to get lightheaded after 3 reps and I have to stand there for a few seconds and get some deep breaths. I suppose I could try to push through it but I'm worried I'd get dizzy and drop the weights. Same on deadlifts, I get more lightheaded on those, but don't have the rest of carrying the weight on my upper back/shoulder area of course.

Workout was great today, up to 250lbs in squats, always struggled to push through 225, both mentally and physically (hip flexor pain), now that I foam roll before and after it's smooth sailing, hopefully I will keep adding weight.

Also, gotta stock up!

photofgzs6.jpg

Got a box of my favorites and hoarded 5 boxes of cookie dough (one isn't in the pic). Tried the peanut butter cups for the first time, they are absolutely delicious.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Added some calories last night in anticipation for OHP today. Bowl of PB and strawberry jam with a big glass of frosted milk! Hoping to get 185x5!

In Quest bar news it's pretty clear I have a problem. I'm averaging about 4 a day now. Remember me when we file that class action lawsuit!

Workout was great today, up to 250lbs in squats, always struggled to push through 225, both mentally and physically (hip flexor pain), now that I foam roll before and after it's smooth sailing, hopefully I will keep adding weight.

Also, gotta stock up!

photofgzs6.jpg

Got a box of my favorites and hoarded 5 boxes of cookie dough (one isn't in the pic). Tried the peanut butter cups for the first time, they are absolutely delicious.

Ah I wish I woulda seen that pic before I went out to buy some bars yesterday! I couldnt remember which you guys considered the best. I got a box of cookie dough which is crazy good, but then went with the cinnamon roll cause who doesnt like cinnamon rolls!? Yea they arent that great, more pasty than anything. At least they taste somewhat like a cinnamon roll, but the texture is weird.

Which are your favorites other than the cookie dough?

EDIT: I guess it would be more of a: could you rank the ones youve bought in order of awesomeness!

jdavid459

What are some healthy snacks I can bring to work to snack on at my desk? I'm always looking for something to snack on...need to make healthier choices. Which type of nuts are best? Been eating bananas, protein bars, and goldfish lol.

Szu

I did a tally of my Quest provisions last night.

I've got a total of 18 boxes.

9 Choco Chip Cookie Dough
1 Banana Nut Muffin
3 Apple Pie
2 Strawberry Cheesecake
2 PB&J
1 Choco Brownie

The worst pat is that I'm treating the Cookie Dough like it's an Elixir from a RPG. It's the best potion, so I should hoard it up and never use it. EVER.

jdavid459

So I've decided I want to lose bf more than gain muscle, and since I can't do both a the same time I guess I will have to put my goal of gaining size off for a bit. Does this mean I should just not be training any more (the beginner program in OP)? Stick to HIIT only?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I've decided I want to lose bf more than gain muscle, and since I can't do both a the same time I guess I will have to put my goal of gaining size off for a bit. Does this mean I should just not be training any more (the beginner program in OP)? Stick to HIIT only?

Do you have issues with focus? I always seem to chirp about how well keto worked with me but you won't have energy to work out if you do a keto diet right, but if you have issues with focus (like I do) a keto diet and no exercise will melt that shit off. No cheat days.

jdavid459

Do you have issues with focus? I always seem to chirp about how well keto worked with me but you won't have energy to work out if you do a keto diet right, but if you have issues with focus (like I do) a keto diet and no exercise will melt that shit off. No cheat days.

I don't know, I don't want to have less energy/be craving foods all the time either. Not good with super strict diets, I just try to eat healthy to the best of my ability.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, I don't want to have less energy/be craving foods all the time either. Not good with super strict diets, I just try to eat healthy to the best of my ability.

Well you'll have energy to function, you just can't do starting strength on keto (as I found out, after two weeks it sapped my soul so I changed to a normal diet) - so if you're ok without exercising, it might work out for you. Your cravings WILL die though. Getting off of any kind of sugar was the tough bit, then it's SMOOTH sailing.

Still, if you have issues with super strict diets it may not be for you.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm proud of you for this post.

I have the luck that two very good friends started training one and two years respectively before I did and I remember how they looked before trianing, 6 months after training and so on and I don't see them very often, only when I visit my parents, so I have a good perspective.

I understand why people get desperate though, I remember having long supports sessions with them, all of us saying stuff like " This can be it, this is too slow and I am giving my all here, I am doing something wrong, please guys tell me what it is, I eat, I train, I sleep, I take protein, what the fuck is it?!?".. the answer was always and continues being time.

the arm talk isn't rare at all either, plenty of "fuckinge small, piece of shit biceps/triceps, they refuse to grow, bwah, bwah" comments, lol, even to this day we talk about our frustrations but we know the drill, so everything's o.k.

Okay qq- DL, front squat, power clean- which hits your butt the LEAST?

is your butt really that big already? you really seemed concerned with its size, makes me very curious. :p

Darren870

Well you'll have energy to function, you just can't do starting strength on keto (as I found out, after two weeks it sapped my soul so I changed to a normal diet) - so if you're ok without exercising, it might work out for you. Your cravings WILL die though. Getting off of any kind of sugar was the tough bit, then it's SMOOTH sailing.

I found myself very irritable and annoyed when doing keto. Was probably the lack of energy. It also f'd my stomach a lot.

Glad to be off it and once I kick this flu/cold back to normal eating, just cleaner. Plus some HIIT

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk/TMI:

regarding getting off of keto for a balanced diet:

I'm not used to shitting so much.

YUP.

And when I start to gain more size/weight, it is going to be in my back. That will really get things going.

I did a tally of my Quest provisions last night.

I've got a total of 18 boxes.

9 Choco Chip Cookie Dough
1 Banana Nut Muffin
3 Apple Pie
2 Strawberry Cheesecake
2 PB&J
1 Choco Brownie

The worst pat is that I'm treating the Cookie Dough like it's an Elixir from a RPG. It's the best potion, so I should hoard it up and never use it. EVER.

Haha. Well said. I am the same way. I just bought me a box of PB&J. And someone here said that brownie isn't that good. I tried one and damn. It is fantastic. You are crazy. I know what my next box is going to be.

And for real, diet Mountain Dew is amazing. I need to stop but I can't ;_;

I started this January (150lbs), I actually tried loosing weight first. I did cycle (zigzag) diet. High cal one day then low cal next. Then I hit a wall. I was stuck at 130lbs. I switched to IF diet last week and lose 3 lbs.
Before the IF diet I went to gym 5 times a week. Hitting Cardio alot.

Edit: happy where I am right now so I'm starting to build up

You want to maintain your muscle so that means you still need to lift heavy and hard. You can do more cardio, adjust your diet, etc.

Me personally, I hate cardio so I would rather just eat less but I still go hard in the gym.

Samara

Age/Sex:Female, 25+
Height: 5'6
Weight:130-135
Goal:115 (see comment)
Current Training Schedule: 1 hour of cardio and squats
Current Training Equipment Available: a pair of 5 pound dumbells, yogamat
Comments: Since the end of October I went from a size 13 to a now size 4....problem was that it was so so fast, that my body didnt ajust. I have a lot of loose sking in my inner thighs and abdominals.

Id be a size 2 if it wasnt for the loose skin. So Im wondering since it will never just "shrink", should I just focus on weight training or gain or whatever these girls you guys have been posting, because I dont know what the heck to do. And that Im skinny fat. I just see myself as fat because I feel doughy. So help please gaf. .

grumble

Age/Sex:Female, 25+
Height: 5'6
Weight:130-135
Goal:115 (see comment)
Current Training Schedule: 1 hour of cardio and squats
Current Training Equipment Available: a pair of 5 pound dumbells, yogamat
Comments: Since the end of October I went from a size 13 to a now size 4....problem was that it was so so fast, that my body didnt ajust. I have a lot of loose sking in my inner thighs.

Id be a size 2 if it wasnt for the loose skin. So Im wondering since it will never just "shrink", should I just focus on weight training or gain or whatever these girls you guys have been posting, because I dont know what the heck to do. And that Im skinny fat. I just see myself as fat because I feel doughy. So help please gaf. .

1. The loose skin may well shrink a bit. I wouldn't sweat it too much quite yet, you just lost a lot of weight.

2. I'd focus less on the scale, and more on the mirror. Some of the best looking girls are not the lightest, because muscle is heavy. It's also what gives you definition and improved appearance, makes you feel good and keeps you healthy.

3. You should explore options with more equipment. If you're interested in a home workout program only, then there are bodyweight programs or programs involving a chinup bar and dumbbells that you can explore. Personally though, I'd join a gym and do a barbell program, since they work so insanely well at making guys and girls gain a bit of muscle and look, feel and perform like rock stars. Have you read the OP? You might also enjoy reading a book called 'new rules of lifting for women'.

Samara

1. The loose skin may well shrink a bit. I wouldn't sweat it too much quite yet, you just lost a lot of weight.

2. I'd focus less on the scale, and more on the mirror. Some of the best looking girls are not the lightest, because muscle is heavy. It's also what gives you definition and improved appearance, makes you feel good and keeps you healthy.

3. You should explore options with more equipment. If you're interested in a home workout program only, then there are bodyweight programs or programs involving a chinup bar and dumbbells that you can explore. Personally though, I'd join a gym and do a barbell program, since they work so insanely well at making guys and girls gain a bit of muscle and look, feel and perform like rock stars. Have you read the OP? You might also enjoy reading a book called 'new rules of lifting for women'.

So do less cardio and way more weight training? I could do that. Do I have to gain weight? like eat more?
I eat very badly. see very little. so thats going to take a some work

abuC

YUP.

And when I start to gain more size/weight, it is going to be in my back. That will really get things going.

I think I'm just really wide in general, my chest is prominent though -

4242_zpsf12a2ff2.jpg

That's from last August, not sure what it measured then but it's bigger now.

OG Kush

There's so much discrepancy on what Quest bars are the best that it really depends on your tastes. The only flavour that seems widely loved is cookie dough.

Szu

So do less cardio and way more weight training? I could do that. Do I have to gain weight? like eat more?

You may need to adjust your diet, but nothing too drastic. If you're working with 5 lbs DB, you will be doing more resistance training as opposed to weight training. While you'll gain some muscle, it won't be to such a degree that would require you to increase you calorie intake.

Petrie

Banned
There's so much discrepancy on what Quest bars are the best that it really depends on your tastes. The only flavour that seems widely loved is cookie dough.

My mother loves the shitty Mixed Berry and mediocre brownie ones. Everyone just likes something different with these. Get a sampler box kids.

Or be smart and hoard cookie dough. 12 boxes at home and 5 in my desk at the office. Still buying tons more before the GNC coupon ends (though a new one came out that expires at the end of June, woo!)

Szu

My mother loves the shitty Mixed Berry and mediocre brownie ones. Everyone just likes something different with these. Get a sampler box kids.

Or be smart and hoard cookie dough. 12 boxes at home and 5 in my desk at the office. Still buying tons more before the GNC coupon ends (though a new one came out that expires at the end of June, woo!)

I actually went to three different GNC's to get three boxes. What have I become?

blackflag

I did starting strength on Keto and a lot of assistance afterwards and I had no problems. This was a couple years ago when I was obese.

I think some people take to Keto better than others but it is definitely possible.

Tash

From one girl to another: don't focus too much on cardio anymore but lifting. It's what I do to lean out and battle my own skinny fat issues :)

The skin issue (Grats btw, what an achievement!) can't really be helped with big weight loss. You need to be patient for the skin to pull together. Luckily you are young do it should do that in time. Let me know if you are interested in the program i am following and ill send you the PDF schedules and nutrition docs :)

Also, bench presses are fun. They make me feel like a little badass and I started to roll my (inner) eyes at girls going through the motions on the easy/small muscle group machines :p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Speaking of measuring... My wife had the tape measure out so I measured my neck and arms because they are supposed to be the same. My right arm and neck are 16" but my left arm is nearly 16.75!?!? WTF?

grumble

Haha it depends on what kind of training you decide to do, but I'd focus on eating high-protein foods and whole food meals, like meat and veggies, eggs, protein shakes, salads, seafood, fresh fruit, etc. If you find that you aren't recovering from your resistance training, you'd want to increase your calories a bit. Gaining muscle is a good thing, and muscle gain requires some calories! If you find yourself gaining fat though, cut it down a bit.

I'd agree that you should do some more weight training and a bit less cardio. You'll be shocked at the difference some strength and muscle gain makes to your appearance and how you feel. 5 pound dumbbells will only take you so far, but there are bodyweight options that can help you get stronger without going to a gym if you aren't comfortable with that. Squats, lunges, knee pushups, leg raises, situps, calf raises, some assisted chinups if you can get a dooframe chinup bar and a chair. Let us know if you'd need any more help!

Tash

Oh also Samara, don't freak out if your legs get big after workout days. It's just water that will go away again over time. I can't remember how many times I stopped a routine because it freaked me out that I didn't fit into pants that fit well before and i didnt know better..had to dodge my fav skinny jeans for a dress today because I killed leg day yesterday ;)

Oh also Samara, don't freak out if your legs get big after workout days. It's just water that will go away again over time. I can't remember how many times I stopped a routine because it freaked me out that I didn't fit into pants that fit well before and i didnt know better..had to dodge my fav skinny jeans for a dress today because I killed leg day yesterday ;)

Haha. Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I wish I always looked like what I do after the pump.

abuC

Speaking of measuring... My wife had the tape measure out so I measured my neck and arms because they are supposed to be the same. My right arm and neck are 16" but my left arm is nearly 16.75!?!? WTF?

My left arm is bigger (stronger) too and I'm a righty, my neck is 18.5 and really short.

blackflag welcome to the 45+ club!

dejay

Banned
Also, bench presses are fun. They make me feel like a little badass and I started to roll my (inner) eyes at girls going through the motions on the easy/small muscle group machines :p

Inspirational / humbling experience: Doing my usual SS stuff a week or two ago and what I assume is a couple came into the weight area. He's got a big T on so it's hard to tell how big he is and she's wearing a leotard with stretchy pants type arrangement. She has a bit of fat on her but she wears it well. She's about 5'1. I take another look and realise her shoulders are quite impressive - not huge but it's obvious that there's something more there than fat.

He's bench pressing close to three plates while she spots. "Dude's stronger than he looks" I thought to myself. Then she's pressing almost two plates for 12 reps - more than I'm pressing for 5 reps and I'm a big hairy guy. Humbling yes but it inspired me too.

The average person on the street would just walk right past her thinking she's just another girl but in truth she could press their body weight multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom