• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you working your way up to the beginning heavy starting sets?
I don't know where I read it. But u start with heavy weight but less rep then minus some weight but more rep.

Is this a good way to train your body to advance to the next weight u can bench?

In this case the heaviest weight I can bench but only 3 reps. I would like to be able to bench that but with more rep (5)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't know where I read it. But u start with heavy weight but less rep then minus some weight but more rep.

Is this a good way to train your body to advance to the next weight u can bench?

In this case the heaviest weight I can bench but only 3 reps. I would like to be able to bench that but with more rep (5)

I'm sure it would work if you were dedicated and had a proper diet. I do the exact opposite. I start lighter with more reps and finish heavy with less reps. I have always done this and it has treated me well but I don't see any reason why what you're doing won't work.

carb day
ie1qr0jEt5br2.JPG

went to a mexican grocery store and saw this. Its a cake in a cup. Cup because at the bottom is 1/4 milk.

Sooo good

Martin Berkman does it. Calls it RPT (Reverse Pyramid Training)

Noema

the-ideal-male-bodybuilders-body1.jpg

It is something that has been said many times but needs repeating, especially for me. The weight is just merely a number. I weigh more than him but look nothing like that. I'm always worried about not wanting to weigh less than say 225/230. I may weigh more than him but I sure as hell don't have his physique or size in his arms.

Really, it is just a number.

A lot of people underestimate the importance of proportions. Steve Reeves was blessed with incredible genetics and he had a very favorable Arm / leg / torso ratio. Someone with longer limbs even at the same height will need a ton more meat on their arms to make them look big.

OG Kush

Well, cutting is a form of losing weight obviously. However, you cut to get more definition and aesthetic appearance. Most people cut doing a form of Keto or IF.

What you said you were eating wasn't good for cutting at all. Thats why I asked. Losing weight if you are heavy, yep! Not cutting though...

most people cut doing keto and IF? um okay...

SeanR1221

So do you guys get your button downs tailored?

I was trying one on tucked into khakis that I'll be wearing for our rehearsal dinner this week and I kind of look...puffy? I guess.

I tried the slim fit and it was way too tight in the chest and back so I went with the modern fit.

Can anyone give me some tips on my workout regimine? I usually do a full body workout every few days. I'm 5'8", around 135, and I'd like to be up to 145 or 150 of muscle.

My workout routine generally consists of the following

Arms:
3x15 assisted pullup machine, 70 pds
3x15 bicep curls 25 pds
3x15 back extention, 60 pds
3x15 on a machine where I basically just push upwards, 50 pds
3x15 on a machine where I push forwards, works the chest area, 60 pds
3x15 butterfly press, 60 pds

Torso:
50 inclined sit-ups, maximum height
50 normal sit-ups, alternating going to the right and left
50 on a machine whose name I don't know; I basically lie back and pull up 45 pounds of weight usingmy torso and arms
50 leg lifts
5x50 seconds supporting myself on gymnastics rings

Legs:
100 lunges
3x15 leg curls 60 pds
3x15 leg pushing down machine thingi, 60 pds
3x15 leg pushing out machine thingie, 60 pds
3x15 reverse leg curl machine thingie, 60 pds

I'm getting some nice tone, but I'm also not quite getting the results I'd like to get, especially for as long as I've been at it. My torso, in particular, still occasionally looks just the slightest bit flabby, while I don't have as much definition in my pecs as I'd want. Any help is appreciated. In particular, I've heard that it might be better to do work on one part of the body at a time, basically cycling between the three major groups, but I'm not quite sure how I'd intensfy my workout so as to justify spending a day on each one.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people underestimate the importance of proportions. Steve Reeves was blessed with incredible genetics and he had a very favorable Arm / leg / torso ratio. Someone with longer limbs even at the same height will need a ton more meat on their arms to make them look big.

Yep I estimate that if I wanted big arms I'd have to put on about 20kg of bw. Currently they look like long ropes with hands on the ends of them. Good for deadlifts, awful for pressing.

andycapps

How much are you squatting? What style squat are you doing?
Low bar squats and only 185 3x5. I feel like my quads are doing all the work and feel like I'm off balance frequently and on the balls of my feet as I drive.

Yeah, Hip Drahve is probably the answer.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Can anyone give me some tips on my workout regimine? I usually do a full body workout every few days. I'm 5'8", around 135, and I'd like to be up to 145 or 150 of muscle.

My workout routine generally consists of the following

Arms:
3x15 assisted pullup machine, 70 pds
3x15 bicep curls 25 pds
3x15 back extention, 60 pds
3x15 on a machine where I basically just push upwards, 50 pds
3x15 on a machine where I push forwards, works the chest area, 60 pds
3x15 butterfly press, 60 pds

Torso:
50 inclined sit-ups, maximum height
50 normal sit-ups, alternating going to the right and left
50 on a machine whose name I don't know; I basically lie back and pull up 45 pounds of weight usingmy torso and arms
50 leg lifts
5x50 seconds supporting myself on gymnastics rings

Legs:
100 lunges
3x15 leg curls 60 pds
3x15 leg pushing down machine thingi, 60 pds
3x15 leg pushing out machine thingie, 60 pds
3x15 reverse leg curl machine thingie, 60 pds

I'm getting some nice tone, but I'm also not quite getting the results I'd like to get, especially for as long as I've been at it. My torso, in particular, still occasionally looks just the slightest bit flabby, while I don't have as much definition in my pecs as I'd want. Any help is appreciated. In particular, I've heard that it might be better to do work on one part of the body at a time, basically cycling between the three major groups, but I'm not quite sure how I'd intensfy my workout so as to justify spending a day on each one.

Ok...We are all here to help each other. I have learned a ton here and in life and weight training always try to stay humble. That being said, everything you posted needs to go. Seriously, everything. Read the OP and then read it 5 more times. After that has been done post any questions you might have and we'll go from there.

Petrie

Banned
Ok...We are all here to help each other. I have learned a ton here and in life and weight training always try to stay humble. That being said, everything you posted needs to go. Seriously, everything. Read the OP and then read it 5 more times. After that has been done post any questions you might have and we'll go from there.

Listen to Cooter. Throw this all away. You are wasting your time my friend. Read the OP, grab SS, and put that time and effort to good use.

Well said. Something else that I should keep in mind.

bro1

Banned
the-ideal-male-bodybuilders-body1.jpg

It is something that has been said many times but needs repeating, especially for me. The weight is just merely a number. I weigh more than him but look nothing like that. I'm always worried about not wanting to weigh less than say 225/230. I may weigh more than him but I sure as hell don't have his physique or size in his arms.

Really, it is just a number.
You don't think those were his real measurements do you? Even back then, there was hucksters about weight, height, and measurements.

moocow

So do you guys get your button downs tailored?

I was trying one on tucked into khakis that I'll be wearing for our rehearsal dinner this week and I kind of look...puffy? I guess.

I tried the slim fit and it was way too tight in the chest and back so I went with the modern fit.

I think I need to start. I have the exact same issue, as it's either too tight on my lats or too loose in the middle. When I asked for advice, the lady told me to try a slim fit... even though that's what I was already trying out.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So I've been eating this delicious dried coconut since yesterday. Pretty much done the 500g bag in 24 hours...

FUCKING 14G OF FIBER PER 42G

150+ GRAMS OF FUCKING FIBER

My woman wouldn't even come in the livingroom to watch GoT it reeks so much.

rando14

So I've been eating this delicious dried coconut since yesterday. Pretty much done the 500g bag in 24 hours...

FUCKING 14G OF FIBER PER 42G

150+ GRAMS OF FUCKING FIBER

My woman wouldn't even come in the livingroom to watch GoT it reeks so much.

holy shit lol i cant even imagine how many calories that is

abuC

Shoulders, traps, triceps tomorrow

This Jay Cutler routine has been great, I added more bodyweight stuff to it, since Jay can't do unassisted pullups.

I think I trend more towards body builder than powerlifter, especially since I can't go as heavy with my shoulder presses as I could in the past.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think this change I made to 5/3/1 is gonna work wonders for me. I already "feel" stronger, but it's still way too soon to tell, I could just be having a good month.

Absolutely. When people ask me how they might be able to get their bench up I suggest weighted dips and they don't understand. I had 3 plates the other week and could have done more but it gets a little tricky strapping more than 3 plates on that thing. :/

That and incline seem to work best for me. Today (dips) I got 135 for 5 sets of 5, not including warm up shits (I also do these at the very end of my sessions so my tris are typically already "done.") It's funny to see how many people either gawk when you strap on 3 plates. Gonna bump up next time to probably 145.

New PR: just put up 240 on bench.

These I hate lifting threads make no sense. So glorious.

Grats man!

And yes I'm wearing a cape

Wat.

Noema

Low bar squats and only 185 3x5. I feel like my quads are doing all the work and feel like I'm off balance frequently and on the balls of my feet as I drive.

Yeah, Hip Drahve is probably the answer.

You might be losing hamstrings tightness at the bottom making the bounce harder. Try a more controlled descent on the way down.

Noema

I think this change I made to 5/3/1 is gonna work wonders for me. I already "feel" stronger, but it's still way too soon to tell, I could just be having a good month

After 4 months I feel like 5/3/1 is finally "clicking" with me. At the beginning the lack of volume felt weird but I'm hitting PRs all over the place.

ZeroRay

My squatting problems stem from keeping the bar balanced and making sure my feet are spread evenly.

I always seem to spread my left foot further than my right and I can feel it affecting me afterwards. Also some days my form deteriorates and I have lower back pain.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
After 4 months I feel like 5/3/1 is finally "clicking" with me. At the beginning the lack of volume felt weird but I'm hitting PRs all over the place.

I've been doing it for about a year now (maybe a little longer?). I had to make changes because I was spinning my wheels with it. I think what I'm doing now has me back on track. (strength twice in the cycle and hypertrophy once in the cycle).

Mayyhem

Why is it that my shoulders always hurt so bad right after finishing a set of dips? No matter what way I seem to do them (body weight only), once I release from the set is when the pain strike, seldom during. It's pissing me off cause I really like the exercise but because of this I never do them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Why is it that my shoulders always hurt so bad right after finishing a set of dips? No matter what way I seem to do them (body weight only), once I release from the set is when the pain strike, seldom during. It's pissing me off cause I really like the exercise but because of this I never do them.

Try squeezing your shoulder blades together and locking your neck back in neutral position before beginning the set. Also, when you finish, slowly come off the grips with your weight. Sometimes if I "get up" too quick I'll get pain in my chest/shoulders too, but it doesn't last.

Mayyhem

Try squeezing your shoulder blades together and locking your neck back in neutral position before beginning the set. Also, when you finish, slowly come off the grips with your weight. Sometimes if I "get up" too quick I'll get pain in my chest/shoulders too, but it doesn't last.

Thanks for the tip, will try it tomorrow. And yeah, when the pain appears at the end of the set it doesn't last for much longer than a few seconds.

thomaser

[...]

I did something like this for 8 years and didn't really get anywhere. Then I started doing the big lifts (read the first post!) instead and got a lot stronger in a short period of time. Read the first post and try the Starting Strength regime. It might seem boring, but it's not, and it will make you stronger and better looking.

Doing the big lifts (squats, bench, deadlifts, overhead press) also helped me get rid of all sorts of back and shoulder pain. They simply make you more stable in everything you do, and force your body to adopt better posture.

isoquant

If I'm doing SS when should I do dips and pullups? I want to but Rippetoe says don't fuck with the program, so I'm not this time.

IMO, mix it up if you think it will help. Don't listen to the people that think Rippetoe is god and he invented the perfect program for all men.

Petrie

Banned
IMO, mix it up if you think it will help. Don't listen to the people that think Rippetoe is god and he invented the perfect program for all men.

This isn't what people here do. They steer beginners to a tried and true program so they can get a solid base to work from, and learn how things work so they can better advance to another program. No program is perfect, but it helps to have a jumping off point, and SS makes perfect sense as that.

That said there's no real harm in doing some dips at the end of one of the days, I used to do them instead of ab-work during that day of the beginner routine from the OP. Because ab-work sucks.

velociraptor

Absolutely. When people ask me how they might be able to get their bench up I suggest weighted dips and they don't understand. I had 3 plates the other week and could have done more but it gets a little tricky strapping more than 3 plates on that thing. :/

Oddly enough I have increased my weighted dips quite easily over the past few weeks - have gone from 5kg to 20kg (45lbs) with 8-10 reps.

Bench has stayed stagnant at 73kg (just over 155lbs) :\

blackflag

I agree with this soooo much. I like Rippetoe but seriously we aren't all made the same. I've always been able to progress with doing a lot of hypertrophy along with my strength training.

theytookourjobz

There's a restaurant near me that has a disclaimer on the menu that says you're free to add or subtract things from our menu items but once you do that, you can't send it back because it's your fault it doesn't taste right, not ours.

kylej

Banned
Yeah I'm currently switching up 5/3/1 after spinning wheels. Think I'm going to do more of a bodybuilding split while keeping 5/3/1 for Bench since I like it.

First 6 months of 5-3-1 were insane though. Pretty sure for a couple months there I was hitting PRs every single time I stepped into the gym. Amazing program.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had a serious dose of sugar last night and boy it fucked my body up. Not doing that again unless I'm back on carb nite. I couldn't sleep, felt WRONG, ugh ugh ugh! Last time I eat girl scout samoas ice cream because GOD DAMN THAT SOUNDS GOOD, doesn't it?

Fuck. I don't want to hate Samoas. I love them. I love them dammit!

EDIT: new page = picture

Dl7AAre.jpg

Petrie

Banned
I agree with this soooo much. I like Rippetoe but seriously we aren't all made the same. I've always been able to progress with doing a lot of hypertrophy along with my strength training.

Why do people always seem to criticize Rip and SS based on what works for them after their "noob" period? It's very clear that's what is being catered to. Of course a more advanced lifter will be able to progress using alternate methods.

Also, you being able to progress doesn't mean you've made the most efficient progress you could have the entire time.

There's a restaurant near me that has a disclaimer on the menu that says you're free to add or subtract things from our menu items but once you do that, you can't send it back because it's your fault it doesn't taste right, not ours.

Love places that acknowledge that sort of thing.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I know this must be nothing for you guys but , today I lifted 40 kilos in deadlift ! 12 reps , 4 sets :)

Hey everyone! School just ended for me a couple of days ago, and I'm going to be heading out to the gym for the first time in several months later today. While I've been to gyms plenty of times in my life, it has mainly been for cardio. I want to supplement my cardio this time with weight training... the only problem is that my gym only has free weights, so anything involving machines or barbells is out of the question for now. I'm a complete beginner with weight training and want to work all muscle groups equally (with the exception maybe of legs, since mine are far more toned than the rest of my body), but I'm not sure how to go about this using only free weights. Any recommendations? I'm looking to commit to three days a week of weight training starting out, if that helps.

Thanks everyone!

Coldsnap

Leg pain outside of my knee while comping out of the bottom of the squat, it's below my quad and next to my knee cap up a tad. The area is sore to the touch. Dunno what it is, there's a bunch of ligaments in that area, seems too high for an IT band connection problem and seems to off to the side and up for platella or miniscus. I are confused.

You could read the OP or read the last 5 pages for questions/answers similar to yours.
I did read the OP! It was all deadlifts and power squats and other such weight training exercises/routines that require machines or barbells.

This thread is huge, and it's on its fifth iteration. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to magically guess that people over the last few pages would be in the same predicament as wanting help in figuring out how to start a weight-lifting routine with only free weights, but I'll go look.

EDIT: I skimmed the last five pages and didn't see anyone bring up what I need help with. If you could link to the post(s) you were referring to, I'd be appreciative.

EDIT 2: Also by free weights I mean dumbbells, in case I'm so new to this that I'm under the false impression that they are synonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom