• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I can only manage three pull-ups now. I usually do 5 sets 2x a week at the gym.

I figured if I add one pull-up a month, ill be rocking a 5x10 by Christmas :-D

Kyaw

Tips for being weak out of the bottom of the squat?

Like this:

LyVLt.jpg

Groof

Why that one and not the one in the OP (or SS).

No offense to the guy who laid that one out but SS or the OP routine is superior.

I figured that because the one in the OP is for Mon/Wed/Fri and I do Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri it'd be a good compromise.

ZeroRay

^Best comic

Let me thank you in advance on behalf of your back!

At least you're thanking me. My back probably won't appreciate this for a few days. XD

I can only manage three pull-ups now. I usually do 5 sets 2x a week at the gym.

I figured if I add one pull-up a month, ill be rocking a 5x10 by Christmas :-D

Nice. I'm going for 3x5. Try to increase it to at least 15 per set in a few months. Maybe both of us will even do a muscle up or two.

Petrie

Banned
I figured that because the one in the OP is for Mon/Wed/Fri and I do Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri it'd be a good compromise.

What you need to do is go 3 days as instructed. 4 days as a beginner isn't ideal. You're doing big lifts every day, you need the rest. rest is when progress is made.

Groof

What you need to do is go 3 days as instructed. 4 days as a beginner isn't ideal. You're doing big lifts every day, you need the rest. rest is when progress is made.

Gotcha. I get restless easily, that's why I've been doing 4 days/week. I'll do this coming week following the routine in the OP.

Groof

You need to research these lifts so you don't develop bad habits from the start. They're all pretty technical.

Yeah, I've been checking out images and videos of the ones I hadn't heard of before. The one I'm most worried about is the power clean.

Groof

Watch ALL the videos in this series for squats

http://youtu.be/2ME8gEN54Ao

For OHP...

http://youtu.be/sqKhLR1zRaU
Will do! This'll be good before bed entertainment, heh.

edit: that OHP video dude's physique is what I'm pretty much aiming for. One day, one day...

Just try to remember that you only grow while resting. It's important.
Noted.

Seriously, thanks everyone for all your help, it's been very insightful! I'll do my very best to put this to good use and not let everyone down. ;)

despire

Yeah, I've been checking out images and videos of the ones I hadn't heard of before. The one I'm most worried about is the power clean.

Don't start with the Power Clean right away. Make sure you first know how to do the four basic lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, press) before trying PC. Makes it easier since PC is a bit technical and you need to know how to deadlift properly before trying it.

Groof

Don't start with the Power Clean right away. Make sure you first know how to do the four basic lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, press) before trying PC. Makes it easier since PC is a bit technical and you need to know how to deadlift properly before trying it.

Ah. Anything I should swap it out for, or just skip it entirely until I feel like I've gotten the hang of it all?

Cudder

corn on the cob grilled on the BBQ is HNNNNNNNNGGG

for even better tasting corn, keep the stalk on/wrapped on it and grill it, THEN peel it.

Detox

Having read through Starting Strength, I think I'm going to go with the workout detailed in the OP rather than the one recommended in the book. I was thinking of one slight variation and that is abdominal work on the three days, I can do Ab Ripper X 3 days a week, would I be putting too much stress on my body or shall I go ahead and do it?

So I've been lifting weights, mostly dumbells and bench press but I also do some cardio, and stuff like push ups/sit ups. I checked my weight and it was 266, last time I checked it was 265. I did it before eating anything on the day so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm not eating right? I have been noticing changes in my body as of late, so I expected to weight a bit less.

Having read through Starting Strength, I think I'm going to go with the workout detailed in the OP rather than the one recommended in the book. I was thinking of one slight variation and that is abdominal work on the three days, I can do Ab Ripper X 3 days a week, would I be putting too much stress on my body or shall I go ahead and do it?

One thing to remember is that your core is getting a hell of a work out with squats/deadlifts and even OHP's. Ab ripper is pretty intense, do it at the end of your work out if at all i'd say.

PBY

Banned
So I've been lifting weights, mostly dumbells and bench press but I also do some cardio, and stuff like push ups/sit ups. I checked my weight and it was 266, last time I checked it was 265. I did it before eating anything on the day so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm not eating right? I have been noticing changes in my body as of late, so I expected to weight a bit less.
If you're lifting your weight might go up, but a one pound discrepancy isn't anything to take account of, your weight fluctuates.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Total cheat day today and this is following 2.5 pints of Haagan Daz last night!

I might as well write my name on the 150s tomorrow because they will be my bitches!

moocow

One thing to remember is that your core is getting a hell of a work out with squats/deadlifts and even OHP's. Ab ripper is pretty intense, do it at the end of your work out if at all i'd say.

I followed the rule of not doing abs because the power lifts would take care of it, and ended up with a core that was both weak and holding me back. I believe that some people need to add some sort of abdominal work if they want that part of their body to keep up.

grumble

I followed the rule of not doing abs because the power lifts would take care of it, and ended up with a core that was both weak and holding me back. I believe that some people need to add some sort of abdominal work if they want that part of their body to keep up.

Well eventually some work is required.

I guess you can't really have abs that are too strong though; as long as it doesn't hold you back in your main lifts, a little ab work won't kill you. I'd skip an ripper though and go weighted.

bro1

Banned
Switched it up to a split routine and am finally seeing results. OHP today at 145x5 and have gained about 3lbs of muscle in the past month even while running 5K every other day and swimming and biking. Going to do legs just once a week though as my legs never feel fully recovered.

Cooter is right about weighted dips: once you can do them they really are the best bench assistance I've found. Got 10 reps with 45lbs strapped on today. felt awesome.

Just do it as-is for now. believe us: your abs are going to get hit plenty as you add weight.

Absolutely. When people ask me how they might be able to get their bench up I suggest weighted dips and they don't understand. I had 3 plates the other week and could have done more but it gets a little tricky strapping more than 3 plates on that thing. :/

How big are the belts you use for dips?

My weight dips are between 45-75lbs and I have a hard time fitting barbell weights on there easily with a 32'' chain. I might start trying dumbbells since my gym has dumbbells up to 105.

did a role of shame on Bench this morning. I thought I could do one more. lol

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're safe about it. I generally have a spotter for my final working set or I'll end up setting the bar on the lower pegs since I try to push as hard as I can.

Cooter

How big are the belts you use for dips?

My weight dips are between 45-75lbs and I have a hard time fitting barbell weights on there easily with a 32'' chain. I might start trying dumbbells since my gym has dumbbells up to 105.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're safe about it. I generally have a spotter for my final working set or I'll end up setting the bar on the lower pegs since I try to push as hard as I can.

I bought one that maxes out with two 45lb plates. My gym has one with a longer chain that me and a buddy managed to get 3 plates secured safely to but I'm skeptical if I can put more due to how tight it was. You basically just need one with a lot of chain.

bro1

Banned
I bought one that maxes out with two 45lb plates. My gym has one with a longer chain that me and a buddy managed to get 3 plates secured safely to but I'm skeptical if I can put more due to how tight it was. You basically just need one with a lot of chain.
I have the weights that have the handles on them so its easy to put multiple on. Hard on the rotator cuff though.

When I do my bench I start with the heaviest weight I can manage and do 3 reps 2 set. Then minus 5 lbs 5 reps 3 sets

Trying to get used to heavier weight.

Cooter

When I do my bench I start with the heaviest weight I can manage and do 3 reps 2 set. Then minus 5 lbs 5 reps 3 sets

Trying to get used to heavier weight.

Any particular reason why? Are you warming up first before you get your heaviest for 3 reps for two sets? Also, what's the reasoning behind this getting you used to heavier weights as opposed to you starting out lower and finishing higher?

---------

*I like steak*

jdavid459

It sounds more like you are just trying to lose weight... Not cut

What's the difference? Serious question... Cutting preserves muscle more efficiently I assume? I am trying to lose the fat I have on my gut to get a more aesthetic appearance, then I plan to go for added muscle.

Today I gave myself a cheat day and dear god I've missed eating more freely. Had a trip to the cheesecake factory today.................

Darren870

What's the difference? Serious question... Cutting preserves muscle more efficiently I assume? I am trying to lose the fat I have on my gut to get a more aesthetic appearance, then I plan to go for added muscle.

Today I gave myself a cheat day and dear god I've missed eating more freely. Had a trip to the cheesecake factory today.................

Well, cutting is a form of losing weight obviously. However, you cut to get more definition and aesthetic appearance. Most people cut doing a form of Keto or IF.

What you said you were eating wasn't good for cutting at all. Thats why I asked. Losing weight if you are heavy, yep! Not cutting though...

the-ideal-male-bodybuilders-body1.jpg

It is something that has been said many times but needs repeating, especially for me. The weight is just merely a number. I weigh more than him but look nothing like that. I'm always worried about not wanting to weigh less than say 225/230. I may weigh more than him but I sure as hell don't have his physique or size in his arms.

Really, it is just a number.

Cooter

It is something that has been said many times but needs repeating, especially for me. The weight is just merely a number. I weigh more than him but look nothing like that. I'm always worried about not wanting to weigh less than say 225/230. I may weigh more than him but I sure as hell don't have his physique or size in his arms.

Really, it is just a number.

Throw your scale away and join our club! Fuck what you may happen to weigh. It means nothing as you pointed out. At the very least keep the weighing down to once a month and you will generally be more satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom