• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone! School just ended for me a couple of days ago, and I'm going to be heading out to the gym for the first time in several months later today. While I've been to gyms plenty of times in my life, it has mainly been for cardio. I want to supplement my cardio this time with weight training... the only problem is that my gym only has free weights, so anything involving machines or barbells is out of the question for now. I'm a complete beginner with weight training and want to work all muscle groups equally (with the exception maybe of legs, since mine are far more toned than the rest of my body), but I'm not sure how to go about this using only free weights. Any recommendations? I'm looking to commit to three days a week of weight training starting out, if that helps.

Thanks everyone!

Without any barbells or machines, and instead only dumbbells, you're going to have a hard time working your muscle groups properly and evenly. You can do dumbbell iterations of most of the exercises in the OP but there'll be some issues. How heavy do your free weights get?

I haven't been lifting for very long, and I've had trouble activating my back muscles because my arms and other muscles always want to compensate. But today, after a good session at the gym yesterday, my upper back is sore!

I'm doing it right!

ToxicAdam

I did read the OP! It was all deadlifts and power squats and other such weight training exercises/routines that require machines or barbells.

I apologize. I missed the part where you said you didn't have access to barbells.

But you can replace just about every BB lift with a DB equivalent. From bench press, to overhead press to squats.

Here's a nice primer on the variety of things you can do:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm

SeanR1221

I haven't been lifting for very long, and I've had trouble activating my back muscles because my arms and other muscles always want to compensate. But today, after a good session at the gym yesterday, my upper back is sore!

I'm doing it right!

Soreness isn't an indicator of progress or doing something right of wrong.

So this weekend, I was able to get 5 reps @ 365 for deads. Did another set of 3 afterwards. The thing was that it was my grip that caused me to stop. I know that I could have gotten another 3-5 reps. So my question is how many of you guys use straps? I really feel like not using them is holding me back. Of course, I want to improve my grip strength as well but was wondering if getting straps is something that I should look into.

Coldsnap

So this weekend, I was able to get 5 reps @ 355 for deads. Did another set of 3 afterwards. The thing was that it was my grip that caused me to stop. I know that I could have gotten another 3-5 reps. So my question is how many of you guys use straps? I really feel like not using them is holding me back. Of course, I want to improve my grip strength as well but was wondering if getting straps is something that I should look into.

Don't use straps on any of your deadlifts. Unless you have to. The only time I will break down and use straps is if I'm doing 5x10 deadlifts after my 5/3/1 deadlift sets, and that's on the last set if my grip is completely broken down.

Noema

So this weekend, I was able to get 5 reps @ 365 for deads. Did another set of 3 afterwards. The thing was that it was my grip that caused me to stop. I know that I could have gotten another 3-5 reps. So my question is how many of you guys use straps? I really feel like not using them is holding me back. Of course, I want to improve my grip strength as well but was wondering if getting straps is something that I should look into.

Do you use chalk? That might be worth considering before going for straps.

In my case my grip started to suffer after I hit 405lb, more or less. I've been doing Kroc Rows and that has helped. I also do RDLs with a really fat bar and I think that has helped me too, since my grip has been going up in strength more or less at the pace I need it to keep up with 531.

despire

Gym was like a sauna today. And I should know since I'm from Finland. Sweated bullets but managed to push through with my workout. It's our apartment gym and there isn't any air conditioning. Only hope is to open some small windows and hope we get cross-draught.

Hilti92

So GAF, is it still better to use dumbells if the machine doesn't rely on going up and down at the same time? As in.. One side will go up if one arm pushes but the other doesn't if it's not pushed. I prefer the machine for my incline bench press.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

In my case my grip started to suffer after I hit 405lb, more or less. I've been doing Kroc Rows and that has helped. I also do RDLs with a really fat bar and I think that has helped me too, since my grip has been going up in strength more or less at the pace I need it to keep up with 531.

I use straps for my last working set when I go for reps, have been for a long time. If I'm doing singles I go sans straps.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So GAF, is it still better to use dumbells if the machine doesn't rely on going up and down at the same time? As in.. One side will go up if one arm pushes but the other doesn't if it's not pushed. I prefer the machine for my incline bench press.

?!

Well if you trust yourself to do it in tandem with dumbbells then it sure sounds better.

Don't use straps on any of your deadlifts. Unless you have to. The only time I will break down and use straps is if I'm doing 5x10 deadlifts after my 5/3/1 deadlift sets, and that's on the last set if my grip is completely broken down.

That's the thing though, I really think I am holding myself back from not using them. I can do many more reps if I just had a better grip. Plus if Matt Kroc uses them, I want to as well :)

Haven't messed with chalk or belts for that matter.

I use straps for my last working set when I go for reps, have been for a long time. If I'm doing singles I go sans straps.

What kind do you use?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's the thing though, I really think I am holding myself back from not using them. I can do many more reps if I just had a better grip.

Haven't messed with chalk or belts for that matter.

What kind do you use?

Shiek dowel straps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WSIKU2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, I'd get some chalk, it works wonders for heavy singles and definitely get a belt. You're gonna explode in strength when you get a belt.

You're probably a lot stronger than you think you are if you're not even using a belt yet.

cryptic

Gaf, the way I see chalk is that it just ensures you can use the full extent of your grip minus the subtle sweat that may accumulate. I don't understand why people say you can't develop grip strength as well while using chalk and that you should lay off it from time to time to develop your grip strength.
I tried that idea just recently and noticed the bar slipping and nearly rounded my back on something like 315.
So what is the beef with chalk?

Shiek dowel straps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WSIKU2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, I'd get some chalk, it works wonders for heavy singles and definitely get a belt. You're gonna explode in strength when you get a belt.

You're probably a lot stronger than you think you are if you're not even using a belt yet.

Thanks for the info.

I want to get a belt but I would like to see how far I can push myself without it, if that makes any sense. Not sure if it is a good idea or not. Like I said, I know that if my grip was stronger, I could have gotten at least 8 reps @ 365 lbs. I will for sure get a belt and proper lifting shoes this fall though. Be a nice gift to myself as I am trying to kick it to the next level.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gaf, the way I see chalk is that it just ensures you can use the full extent of your grip minus the subtle sweat that may accumulate. I don't understand why people say you can't develop grip strength as well while using chalk and that you should lay off it from time to time to develop your grip strength.
I tried that idea just recently and noticed the bar slipping and nearly rounded my back on something like 315.
So what is the beef with chalk?

I've never heard this. People saying not to use chalk are idiots. It's probably the best thing to use period when lifting and not hindering your grip. I mean, you're still gripping the fucking bar, it just can't slip as easy.

cryptic

I've never heard this. People saying not to use chalk are idiots. It's probably the best thing to use period when lifting and not hindering your grip. I mean, you're still gripping the fucking bar, it just can't slip as easy.

Thanks for clarifying that. I swear I asked about buying and using chalk in the past and was met with said response. I'm never not going to use it though now after the back thing, and
if my gym ever approaches me about the indelible chalk stain I've left on their shit foam floor I really hope I can leave the contract due to safety reasons.

ToxicAdam

Maybe you should put yourselves in the shoes of the poor workers that have to clean up after the countless slobs that come into a gym during a day. It's bad enough most of them never rerack their weights or throw away their bottles.

abuC

LOL, woke up this morning with my shitty shoulder hurting and my left wrist hurting as well. What the hell, 1 step forward 2 steps back, fuck em both though neither will stop me from doing shoulders/tris later.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Maybe you should put yourselves in the shoes of the poor workers that have to clean up after the countless slobs that come into a gym during a day. It's bad enough most of them never rerack their weights or throw away their bottles.

Job security.

Chalkers are job creators. =P

Lol yep.

LOL, woke up this morning with my shitty shoulder hurting and my left wrist hurting as well. What the hell, 1 step forward 2 steps back, fuck em both though neither will stop me from doing shoulders/tris later.

Are you doing prehab/rehab?

Edit:

Yeah I do a lot of prehab stuff, my shoulder was doing fine until the other day I tweaked it boxing so that was my own fault.

The wrist is just strained, nothing serious I jammed it playing basketball.

Ah, at least it's just that.

Petrie

Banned

I see no issue with using straps if grip is holding you back. Deadlifts aren't there primarily as a grip training exercise, so as long as you are doing other things to increase grip strength, including not using straps for most of your sets, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'd try some chalk first if you can though. My gym discourages it. And definitely look into a belt, so helpful with getting your core involved.

I see no issue with using straps if grip is holding you back. Deadlifts aren't there primarily as a grip training exercise, so as long as you are doing other things to increase grip strength, including not using straps for most of your sets, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'd try some chalk first if you can though. My gym discourages it. And definitely look into a belt, so helpful with getting your core involved.

Cool.

What grip exercises can I be doing to improve said grip?

And I really need to be doing more core work. I want to hit abs 3 times a week. Just simple stuff too. Leg raises, v sit ups, decline situps, side bends. I tried doing cable pulldown crunches but I really don't feel them too much in the abs. Prolly doing something wrong.

Jack_AG

Banned

I'm doing it right!
Pull with your elbows and don't think about your arms.

bro1

Banned
My doctor told me that he wants me lose 10lbs in 8 weeks before my next IV transfusion of Remicade (I have UC) so I can cut down the dosage. I'm 190lbs and 5'8" but have a 32" waist and I don't have that much fat to lose. This is going to suck.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shogun always recommends high rep deads I think, I personally like farmer carries.

Anymore on high rep deads I use straps because I want a big as fuck back. Most of my grip work now is in rows, pullups and a few of my working sets of deads. Sometimes I'll throw in farmer's carries though.

Cool.

What grip exercises can I be doing to improve said grip?

And I really need to be doing more core work. I want to hit abs 3 times a week. Just simple stuff too. Leg raises, v sit ups, decline situps, side bends. I tried doing cable pulldown crunches but I really don't feel them too much in the abs. Prolly doing something wrong.

High rep deads, and squats should be nailing the shit out of your "core."

Personally for abs I prefer weighted decline situps and hanging leg raises, but I haven't done these in a while since my abs are getting nailed pretty good on the regular.

What are your opinions on doing two HITT sessions per day this week?

This week is my bday week and have parties all lined up from Thurs-Sunday and don't want to lose my gains and gain some fat %. I want to be lean as hell this weekend and yes, I will be having at least 1 huge slice of cake and will be getting pretty damn drunk all weekend.

Will adding another HITT session be overboard? I already eat perfectly clean every meal and do empty stomach HITT in the am for 30-45 min.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What are your opinions on doing two HITT sessions per day this week?

This week is my bday week and have parties all lined up from Thurs-Sunday and don't want to lose my gains and gain some fat %. I want to be lean as hell this weekend and yes, I will be having at least 1 huge slice of cake and will be getting pretty damn drunk all weekend.

Will adding another HITT session be overboard? I already eat perfectly clean every meal and do empty stomach HITT in the am for 30-45 min.

Add it in and see how it effects your training.

Also, splurging for a day or two isn't going to derail you. I'd stay away from the booze personally though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I consumed more this weekend than the past week combined. Hoping to get 315x4 on bench tonight!

Add it in and see how it effects your training.

Also, splurging for a day or two isn't going to derail you. I'd stay away from the booze personally though.

Thats my major problem this weekend. Good thing it only takes 3-4 stiff vodkas to do the trick these days since I have been laying off the booze the past few months.

I-hate-u

Hey guys, anyone have an opinion on thick bar training as opposed to the regular bar? I am specifically talking about Fatgripz:

fat_gripz.jpg
Has anyone tried em?

Shogun always recommends high rep deads I think, I personally like farmer carries.

Word.

Anymore on high rep deads I use straps because I want a big as fuck back. Most of my grip work now is in rows, pullups and a few of my working sets of deads. Sometimes I'll throw in farmer's carries though.

High rep deads, and squats should be nailing the shit out of your "core."

Personally for abs I prefer weighted decline situps and hanging leg raises, but I haven't done these in a while since my abs are getting nailed pretty good on the regular.

I don't do enough of high rep deads but plan to evaluate and change thing up at the end of the summer. I'm just in my OCD phase right now. I don't need more days with core work, I just think I do.

Also here was my meal spread from yesterday (cheat day)

1)Proats (Protein+Oatmeal+Banana)

2) Quest bar

3) Cheat Carrot cake french toast, french fries and salad wrap with grilled chicken. - Only ate half the wrap cuz Iwas stuffed.

4) Quest bar

5) Sushi/Sashami combo only ate the sushi part cuz I was too full. Saved the Sashami for dinner tonight

Not that bad, I really didn't even feel like I needed it either. As the weather gets warmer I will slowly cancel out the cheat meal with a healty "treat meal" instead. Like making some protein pancakes, having a huge peanut butter sandwich etc.

Imm0rt4l

My best friend graduated college yesterday. He had a party at his family's house, lots of Mexican food, drinking and a live mariachi band also went to blueberry hill this morning and had breakfast there. I'm a bloated mess right now. Might take a hike today or find a means of punishment...err cardio today. No regrets. Last time I fucked up I hit that squat rep pr tho, so I guess that's a silver lining. Maybe I'll deadlift, Doug Miller style.

CrankyJay

Banned
My best friend graduated college yesterday. He had a party at his family's house, lots of Mexican food, drinking and a live mariachi band also went to blueberry hill this morning and had breakfast there. I'm a bloated mess right now. Might take a hike today or find a means of punishment...err cardio today. No regrets. Last time I fucked up I hit that squat rep pr tho, so I guess that's a silver lining. Maybe I'll deadlift, Doug Miller style.

This is why you work out...so you can look good doing these other things. =P

rofl.

have fun man. the bloat goes away in a few days :)

OG Kush

Also here was my meal spread from yesterday (cheat day)

1)Proats (Protein+Oatmeal+Banana)

2) Quest bar

3) Cheat Carrot cake french toast, french fries and salad wrap with grilled chicken. - Only ate half the wrap cuz Iwas stuffed.

4) Quest bar

5) Sushi/Sashami combo only ate the sushi part cuz I was too full. Saved the Sashami for dinner tonight

Not that bad, I really didn't even feel like I needed it either. As the weather gets warmer I will slowly cancel out the cheat meal with a healty "treat meal" instead. Like making some protein pancakes, having a huge peanut butter sandwich etc.

Not a bad cheat day at all.

abuC

But....how was the food though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom