• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've made the resolution to get back into golf. hopefully my plan is to hit the range every monday, play a round once a month on a saturday. lift on tuesday/thursday. sunday (and non-golf saturdays) will be reserved for hiit or basketball . i hope doms doesn't get in the way of anything :(

also, my parents came up for dinner saturday night. pitcher of margarita, ceviche, shrimp tacos, lobster enchiladas, rice and beans. i also ate an entire bag of spicy thai kettle chips. we eatin good this week.

Woot! Hit a PR in the bench tonight with 4 x 242.5 lbs. Feels good. The next time I'm hoping to do 10 reps with 220 which was the goal I set in January when I managed to do 1-2 reps with 220. Been doing semi regular 5/3/1 training with a fairly low volume which seems to be working for me.

thomaser

Went hiking today and two days ago. I live right next to hundreds of mountains and trails, but have never really used them. But the weather is so nice nowadays that I couldn't resist. Went up to a cabin. 3,5 kilometers up to it and the same way back. Worked up a real sweat, and got a nice burn in my legs.

Anyone else doing this while also training weights? Can I expect it to impact my weight training, positively or negatively? Going up the steep trail is great cardio (I never usually train cardio) and hits the legs well, but going down again feels like it might be bad for some of the joints.

Feels great to go out in nature, so I want to keep doing it once or twice a week. Yay or nay?

twofold

Made 2kg of bbq chicken breast in my slow cooker today. So good.

eznLDqy.jpg

It's cheap, easy to make, tastes great, and it's very healthy. Recipe here - http://dhftns.com/healthy-slow-cooked-bbq-chicken-recipe/

I also tried another recipe from that site tonight, the 'cottage cheese pbs'. Basically, take 100g of low fat cottage cheese, add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a scoop of whey, mix, and eat. It tastes surprisingly good and the macros are pretty damn awesome (around 260 calories, 10g fat, 10g carbs, 40g protein). I recommend giving it a go.

Gilby

Made 2kg of bbq chicken breast in my slow cooker today. So good.

It's cheap, easy to make, tastes great, and it's very healthy. Recipe here - http://dhftns.com/healthy-slow-cooked-bbq-chicken-recipe/

I also tried another recipe from that site tonight, the 'cottage cheese pbs'. Basically, take 100g of low fat cottage cheese, add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a scoop of whey, mix, and eat. It tastes surprisingly good and the macros are pretty damn awesome (around 260 calories, 10g fat, 10g carbs, 40g protein). I recommend giving it a go.

That's a lot of salt.

Alright GAF.

I am 6'3 or 6'4. I currently weight around 250lbs. I did drop down from 300lbs in the last 20 months.

I have been lifting around 3 times a week recently. I do walk around 2-4 miles a day for my day to day activities.

My goal is to switch my shirt size from XL to L and my waist from 38 to 36 while dropping more weight and adding muscle simultaneously.

What do I do other than just lifting? I haven't been doing any abs at all, should I start working on them?

Here is how I look right now shirtless.

8758282959_68e5b5c307_z.jpg

8758283101_7afdbe89ff_z.jpg

EDIT:

As for the weights, I have been trying to stick to compounds as much as I can, like Squats, deadlifts, chin ups etc.
I'm either doing a two day split or a 3 day split. Switching it every couple of weeks.

2-day workout
Day 1 - Shoulders, Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Legs, Back and Biceps

3-day workout
Day 1 - Shoulders and Legs
Day 2 - Chest and Triceps
Day 3 - Back and Biceps

My workout has been on and off since this January but The last week or two, I'm keeping it up. I want to put some real effort while this summer lasts, so yeah definitely 3 times a day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tornado might keep me from the gym tonight, fingers crossed. Shit is insane in Oklahoma right now. Don't want weights thrown at me from mother nature.

Davidion

Alright GAF.

I am 6'3 or 6'4. I currently weight around 250lbs. I did drop down from 300lbs in the last 20 months.

I have been lifting around 3 times a week recently. I do walk around 2-4 miles a day for my day to day activities.

My goal is to switch my shirt size from XL to L and my waist from 38 to 36 while dropping more weight and adding muscle simultaneously.

What do I do other than just lifting? I haven't been doing any abs at all, should I start working on them?

How long have you been doing this? Provided your're hitting the big compounds for progress, combined with that 2-4 miles of walking a day I'd say that already sounds good. Maybe hit a little Cardio/HIIT on the off days? Like Sean said, the details of your workout are important.

First off congrats on the weight loss.

What's your workouts like? What do you do those 3 days a week?

How long have you been doing this? Provided your're hitting the big compounds for progress, combined with that 2-4 miles of walking a day I'd say that already sounds good. Maybe hit a little Cardio/HIIT on the off days? Like Sean said, the details of your workout are important.

I did edit my post for additional details.

I have been doing this on and off since this January. As for the weight loss, I have been changing my food habits as well, so everything is coming along together.

I was out of the country in February and March, which kind of messed up my routine but I am back at it now.

Troblin

Hey guys, anyone have an opinion on thick bar training as opposed to the regular bar? I am specifically talking about Fatgripz:

Has anyone tried em?

I used them for about a year. They work great for forearm growth. Just be wary of using them on every exercise. I placed the fat gripz on everything from lateral raises - curls - bench press.

Eventually they gave me a nasty case of elbow tendonitis (golfers elbow), which I still haven't been able to completely kick.

jdavid459

Doing OP beginner routine at a caloric deficit to lose fat. Thoughts?

Also, finally incorporated deadlifts to my routine today. Feels good man. backs kinda sore...bench is up to 175lb and I'm still adding 5 each time...pumps me up

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Doing OP beginner routine at a caloric deficit to lose fat. Thoughts?

You'll be wasting your time doing that. Not a complete waste but it'd rank on the "I'm dietin' poor!" Parappa scale of dieting.

Cagey

Banned
End of the first 5/3/1 cycle, the rest week is up. Enjoyable so far as a reintroduction to the major lifts. I imagine I will be very bored this week.

This time, I'll double the prescribed weight increase for the next cycle, given I managed to get at least 5-6 reps on every lift.

Alright GAF.

EDIT:

As for the weights, I have been trying to stick to compounds as much as I can, like Squats, deadlifts, chin ups etc.
I'm either doing a two day split or a 3 day split. Switching it every couple of weeks.

2-day workout
Day 1 - Shoulders, Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Legs, Back and Biceps

3-day workout
Day 1 - Shoulders and Legs
Day 2 - Chest and Triceps
Day 3 - Back and Biceps

My workout has been on and off since this January but The last week or two, I'm keeping it up. I want to put some real effort while this summer lasts, so yeah definitely 3 times a day.

What I think would be important at this stage, more than the weight lifting, would be cardio. A lot of cardio. I am saying what worked for me of course. It always seemed like a better overall idea to me (because I wanted to be slim first) to lose the fat and get smaller before building muscle. Clearly you want to slim down while adding muscle, but I dont think you should worry about lifting less frequently and running more, your muscles are not going to just disappear.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What I think would be important at this stage, more than the weight lifting, would be cardio. A lot of cardio. I am saying what worked for me of course. It always seemed like a better overall idea to me (because I wanted to be slim first) to lose the fat and get smaller before building muscle. Clearly you want to slim down while adding muscle, but I dont think you should worry about lifting less frequently and running more, your muscles are not going to just disappear.

Both. No reason to wait until he's at a desired weight until he starts lifting. The weight training will help speed up the weight loss and he should get the usual newbie gains!

I noticed that my dead lifts are progressing faster than my grip strength so I picked up some wraps (can't use chalk) to use on the 1x5 of my only working set. I do all warm-ups without. I was having to stop after the 4th rep and regrip the bar. The wraps really help me not worry about it as much and just focus on form.

Both. No reason to wait until he's at a desired weight until he starts lifting. The weight training will help speed up the weight loss and he should get the usual newbie gains!

I will try to squeeze in some cardio. May be a jog or run on the treadmill for a bit.

I have bad knees, so I usually stay away from running. Perhaps, cycling would be a better choice.

abuC

Compared a pic from 3 years ago, and one from today and I finally see the huge difference in my build. I looked like a fat slob man, straight up C-cups and a chin-neck.

Good day in the gym, I'd trade some of my chests ability to grow for my traps, these bastards will be the death of me. I feel like I have an abusive relationship with them, I love them but I assault them two times a week and they don't learn, so I gotta keep beating them. If you asked them, they'd say I love them, but they made me do it. I shrug and I shrug, I do power cleans and I clean, and they just refuse to listen to me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Compared a pic from 3 years ago, and one from today and I finally see the huge difference in my build. I looked like a fat slob man, straight up C-cups and a chin-neck.

Post the pics in the weight loss thread man, it's always good motivation for everyone. If you are shy like me you can crop your face out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom